Modern Era - Hall of Fame Entertainment and Design

Florida, Pittsburgh area, Washington D.C. area, Nationwide

The Knot's Hall-of-Fame / 6 Time Best of Winners!

Modern Era Weddings is a nationwide, full service, wedding planning, entertainment, and documentation company. We currently offer: The Nation’s best Wedding DJs, Live music booking, Photography, Videography, Lighting Design, and Photo booths. While expanding the depths of our services, we began receiving calls from all over the country from people who have seen us at events in Pittsburgh. This led us to focusing on some of the locations where our clients, and artists were located. We love these cities and consider them our second homes! If planning a destination wedding not in a Modern Era city, don’t worry! we can normally travel anywhere in the United States for a comparable rate! DC • Maryland • Virginia • New York • Orlando • Miami • Phoenix • Honolulu • San Juan (PR) • State

Classical, Country, Disco, Folk, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, Arabic, Indian, Klezmer, Latin, Persian, Polka, World Music

After Party, Ceremony, Reception, Wedding

MC Services, Recorded Music, Sound Equipment, Music, Equipment, Rentals + Equipment

Florida, Pittsburgh area, Washington D.C. area, Nationwide (412) 445-1797
PINTEREST

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Joe N

We are so happy that we went with Modern Era Weddings with DJ TJ Harris. It was important to us to work with a DJ that was able to mix, understand us, and keep a party going, and TJ went above and beyond to fulfill all of the above!! TJ was professional, fun, quick to respond,... Read More and had great suggestions, which was exactly what we wanted. TJ was there our entire day, from before the ceremony to set up until after 2am when our after party finished. He switched locations throughout our venue for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception without a hitch, stuck through the heat at our outdoor ceremony, and graciously volunteered to play our after party for several hours which is something that he truly did not have to do (but that we MUCH appreciated). He did a fantastic job of not only getting people on the dance floor, but keeping people on the dance floor. We had some last minute changes and updates that he rolled right along with. Even beyond how great he was to work with, he is a skilled, seasoned DJ and just watching him in his element was fun in itself. We felt secure in going with Modern Era from our first contact with them and felt that they truly cared about making our day awesome. Their online system is incredibly easy to use and was helpful at keeping things organized for everyone. I had several songs that I expected to be difficult to find, and TJ was able to find them all and work with a Spotify playlist that I had for cocktail hour and dinner. A DJ can truly make or break a wedding, and my husband and I can definitely say that going with Modern Era and TJ Harris MADE the wedding from start to finish. I cannot think of a single negative thing to say other than I wish that we had an excuse to have a giant party with TJ to DJ again. Thanks Modern Era and TJ!!

Reviewed on 4/24/2016 Preeti S

This review is for Josh Baez who provided the videography for our wedding. We had an Indian wedding with several events, and Josh was there for all of the them. We can't speak more highly of his professionalism and quality work. Despite admittedly limited experience with Indian... Read More weddings, he did a fantastic job capturing so many important moments during our sangeet, wedding and reception. I can't tell you how lucky we were to have Josh film our weekend. From a style standpoint, Josh is very nonintrusive, meaning he seems to be in 10 places at once, but doesn't interfere in any way when capturing moments. We also loved that he really focuses on natural filming, without any poses or dramatized scenes that we felt would be tacky for a wedding video. While his video was great, where we felt like Josh really shines is in his editing skills. He clearly is thorough and extremely professional in how he treats the editing. The way he integrated our song selections with the highlight reel was nothing short of perfect - we couldn't be happier! His communication has also been great - we've been able to bounce ideas off of him for editing and he's been really accommodating and wonderful. Overall, we wouldn't hesitate for a moment in recommending him as a wedding videographer. His experience with Indian weddings is only going to grow, and we're certain he'll be fantastic in whatever event he takes on. We couldn't be happier with both his work and professionalism!

Reviewed on 5/23/2017 Hannah F

Perfection! Could not have asked for a better DJ that kept the night running smoothly and kept all the guests on the dance floor through the end of the night. The fog machine and uplighting made the room even more beautiful. Thank you!

Reviewed on 5/22/2017 Nick P

DJ Tim was absolutely amazing!! He was easy going, listened to what we wanted and how we wanted it, and had a really great playlist!! All of the songs that we put on our client profile sheet were played, and any requests we had during the evening was met. DJ Tim also stayed an... Read More extra hour because the weather ruined our outdoor ceremony and reception!! My wife and I will definitely be using DJ Tim and Modern Era Weddings whenever we have an event, as well as recommending him for our friends Weddings!

Reviewed on 5/21/2017 Jamie H

Our DJ Tim Harris was great! He was professional and easy to work with. He always responded in a timely manner. The variety of music was great and everyone enjoyed themselves!

Reviewed on 5/09/2017 Matthew H

What else can I say, save yourself the time in looking for a DJ/MC/master of all things/person to get the party grooving. We were honestly a tad bit nervous since we are Egyptian and we did not know how DJ Mike would fair including Arabic music in the mix, but he must have been... Read More Egyptian in another life. The dancing was nonstop and everyone could not stop telling us what an amazing time they had. From the get go- DJ Mike was our most communicative vendor, who was the one reaching out to us to make sure we had everything we needed, etc. He has the most amazing website portal which you can make as detailed to your heart’s desire (includes timeline song choices, a must play/if time allows/and do not play lists) and online payment system. ModernEra weddings also offers a photobooth with amazing props and plans. Ok back to the wedding day, DJ Mike coordinated with all of the venue folks, and brought his game day gear for the wedding. The speaker system was beyond amazing; again we were a little anxious with the acoustics in the Carnegie Music Hall, but DJ Mike’s speakers raised the roof and had the entire wedding reception on their feet. Literally I have pictures with no one sitting at the tables, because everyone was dancing the entire night. He was so flexible with the song choices/genre of music we wanted for background music, cocktail hour, bridal party entrances, and every song choice that was made throughout the night. He played all of our favorites and some that we forgot. ALSO, before I forget, what a star DJ Mike was when the bridal party got there (before the entrances). He whipped them all into shape and got them ready for the entrances of their lives. AND ALSO, when the AV vendor had a glitch playing our wedding trailer, DJ Mike swooped in again to coordinate with the venue to save the day. I could keep writing this forever, but the bottom line is stop reading this and book DJ Mike for your wedding/event/MC needs, because A) he is awesome, B) communicative, responsible, fun, C) worth every penny and so much more, and D) should win awards for what he does (Oh wait, he actually has, and lots of them). Honestly, there is a reason he has a 5-star rating, and it’s real. So go ahead and contact him now and book DJ Mike. Thanks Mike for making our special day even more special.

Reviewed on 4/28/2017 Kimberly B

Modern Era and Mike Willis are hands down the best in Pittsburgh. I would absolutely recommend them to anyone who is serious about making their wedding the absolute best day of their lives. Mike was extremely responsive and full of ideas for the ceremony and reception when I... Read More wasn’t sure what to do. He kept me level-headed, stress free and organized through the entire process. I told him what songs I wanted and left the rest up to him for the ceremony, absolutely best thing I did, I was not disappointed! Mike kept everything organized and on time the entire day, making it so much less stressful for me. Mike and Dave Noel absolutely made the night! I have had so many compliments on how fun and elegant my wedding was and how amazing the DJ’s were. I would absolutely recommend Modern Era!! Thank you Mike and Dave for giving us an amazing night and memories to cherish forever!!

Reviewed on 2/07/2017 Shanna B

Our DJ Tim Harris was excellent!! He understood exactly what we wanted and made it happen! The online DJ software they used was very simple and convenient. All of our guests had such a fun time on the dance floor and never sat down

Reviewed on 12/09/2016 Brittney J

I hired this company for their DJ services for my wedding on 12-3-2016. The DJ that was provided for me was John. He was great, we met at a local Starbucks to go over details a few weeks before the wedding to smooth out any kinks in the planning. I was not sure exactly what... Read More timeline to use and he was very helpful to my husband and I when deciding when to do certain events. I also opted for up lighting and he did a great job making the room have a wintery feel to match my winter theme. I had music for the entire day- ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner and reception. He did a great job! I would recommend this company and DJ to anyone looking to get married!

Reviewed on 12/08/2016 Natalie B

The best DJ's you can find in Pittsburgh !

Reviewed on 11/06/2016 Ashley R

We hired DJ Tyler for our wedding reception and we couldn't have been more pleased. Even though we were a little behind schedule our guests never knew because Tyler kept everything moving throughout the evening. I am still getting compliments from our guests on how wonderful the... Read More DJ was and that the dance floor was never empty. Great job Tyler, Brendan and I couldn't have asked for more!

Reviewed on 11/06/2016 Ashley R

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Dan P

Absolutely amazing work by Mike Willis & Modern Era! Mike set a great tone for the evening and kept everyone on the dance floor all night long. A DJ can make or break a wedding - Make sure to make your wedding memorable by making Modern Era your DJ of choice! Also, the... Read More videography & uplighting were excellent upgrades to make apart of your special day. Modern Era is worth every penny spent!

Reviewed on 10/29/2016 Bridget B

We couldn’t have been happier with Mike!! He is, hands down, the BEST DJ in Pittsburgh! Mike went above and beyond what was expected. We knew from the first time we met him that he was our guy!! He is very confident in what he does (as he should be!) and proved to both, my... Read More husband and myself, that he is very passionate about his job. Mike played a very big part in our wedding day. From the ceremony, to the cocktail hour, to the reception, to the end of the evening- he was ON POINT! I couldn’t have asked for someone better to make our day so special and memorable! Mike made sure everyone was where they were supposed to be…he kept the night moving along nicely. He was very involved and checked on us frequently to make sure everything was good. We chose specific songs for our ceremony, but let the reception up to Mike and he did not disappoint! We told him what kinds of music we liked and he ran with it! We used a few of our own personal GoPro cameras to capture some of the memories. Mike went out of his way and took it upon himself to move a few of the cameras so that they could capture the best angle, the speeches, and especially our first dance! He provided us with the utmost professional (and friendly) service that we hoped for and more!! Mike and Modern Era Weddings far exceeded our expectations!! Thank you so much!!

Reviewed on 10/28/2016 Libby K

We highly recommend! Modern Era Weddings was great to work with from the first inquiry through the end of the reception. Monica and Mike answered any questions and helped us stay on track of planning. The day of our wedding, Mike made the full wedding party and family feel at... Read More ease and excited about their entrance to the reception, and made sure to check in with me and the groom throughout the reception to make sure we were having a good time, getting what we wanted from him, etc. Modern Era Weddings was an integral part of our reception and they helped make our wedding as perfect as we imagined!

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Sara U

Look no further….you NEED to book Mike Willis with Modern Era Weddings as your DJ!! Crazy as this sounds he was the only DJ I looked at. His name was given to me by my photographer who is also based out of Pittsburgh, whom I completely trusted. When I went to Modern Era... Read More Weddings website and saw that Mike was the DJ for the hottest nightclub in Pittsburgh I knew I had to have him at my wedding! Only issue was he was in Pittsburgh and I lived in Maryland (I’m originally from Pittsburgh) I gave him a call anyways to see if there was any possibility of him coming out to Maryland and to my amazement he said he would travel out there and DJ!! I mean who does?! Right off the bat Mike and I connected. He seemed to know exactly what I wanted without me telling him. I love to dance and it was very important for me to have a DJ that could play great music and keep everyone entertained and on the dance floor. Well let me tell you, he brought his A game and certainly OVER delivered on my expectations. Not only was the dance floor packed all night, I received so many compliments praising how good he was and wanting him to DJ at all my friends upcoming weddings. Mike was not only an amazing DJ, he was also very attentive and caring to my needs that day. On several occasions he took the time out of what he was doing to make sure that my day was going smoothly and if there was anything he could do for me. My friends and family to this day still talk about Mike and how much fun he was! Thank you for making my wedding the best day ever Mike!

Reviewed on 10/20/2016 Casaundra D

Mike was AMAZING! Our previous vendor fell through last minute and Mike had a cancellation for our date, so the stars aligned perfectly for us to work together. We had a very tight timeline to put everything together so I pretty much gave Mike the basics and trusted him with... Read More everything else the entire night. The music he played was perfect. I remember hearing songs and feeling so happy that I choose him. I basically trusted my wedding to him. He was always responsive, very polite and so easy to work with! I also used Modern Era for videographer and photo booth and was incredibly happy with everything so far!!

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Erika H

Our wedding DJ was an important choice for us, we used TJ (Tim) Harris through Modern Era for our September wedding. He worked with us to create the perfect mix of songs for our wedding and kept the dance floor packed! He even added amazing personalized touches and ensured the... Read More ceremony went smoothly. We got so many complements on the DJ, including several that said he was the best wedding DJ they'd heard. Thanks TJ!

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Doug K

DJ TJ was awesome. He threw a great party and kept everyone dancing and having fun all night. We got lots of compliments from our guests about how good the music was, and he even joined us for the after party! The whole Modern Era experience was smooth and comfortable, and I... Read More highly recommend them.

2016-10-10T16:01:29 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much! TJ loved celebrating with you guys!

Reviewed on 9/12/2016 Lindsay F

Dj Scottro was at our wedding reception, he did an amazing job! Kept our dance floor full all night. Very easy to work with during the planning process met with us several times and always available if we had any questions. I could not ask for a better Dj than Scottro! Highly... Read More recommend him!

2016-10-10T15:59:46 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for choosing Modern Era, we had a blast with you guys!!

Reviewed on 8/30/2016

Modern Era was awesome, and TJ, our DJ was so helpful! He was very responsive and always got back to us quickly. He was easy to talk to and our planning meeting went great. TJ really listened to our ideas and offered advice on how to pull them off. He embraced our musical... Read More theme and created an awesome playlist to go along with our requests. Best of all, he's so talented! He had everyone dancing all night and he really helped to make our spring wedding into an awesome party. Modern Era (and TJ) was a great choice for our wedding - their staff are talented, they are really affordable, and they know their stuff. I would highly recommend them for any event.

Reviewed on 7/30/2016 Valerie C

Modern Era lived up to the acclaim. Mike Willis kept our wedding lively all night, as well as providing the cocktail and ceremony music. In my opinion, Mike even went above and beyond throughout the night to continually check in with my wife and myself to see if we needed... Read More anything or had any requests. Truly great service, and a great guy!

Reviewed on 7/20/2016 Brook B

So amazing, we are still talking about it! TJ and the crew at Modern Era Weddings were simply outstanding! TJ was professional, responsive, and thorough. He asked great questions during our two meetings, and really listened to what we wanted. He shared his ideas with us, and... Read More provided valuable feedback re: ceremony timelines, etc. He really embraced our (slightly crazy) ideas and showed tremendous enthusiasm - it was so refreshing to know that our DJ was excited to do our wedding! Most importantly, TJ is an AWESOME DJ!! He was flawless with our ceremony cues, and kept the night moving on schedule. He played all the songs we asked for, and selected the perfect additions from his own playlist, working perfectly with our eclectic tastes. The dance floor was packed all night and our guests danced until their feet hurt! Amazing job, TJ!

2016-07-20T19:22:13 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for choosing Modern Era Weddings and DJ TJ! We had an amazing time with you guys from the start! We appreciate your review and hope to work with you guys on your next event!

Reviewed on 7/06/2016 Katherine P

I am slightly obsessed with DJ Mike Willis. I seriously had THE best time dancing at my wedding. Mike is totally sweet, upbeat, excited. I told him I wanted a great party and he made it happen. He also played all the music for the ceremony and cocktail hour and everything... Read More was so on point. Reserve him now if you can!!

Reviewed on 6/29/2016 Breanne S

DJ Scottro was AMAZING!!!!! He met with us numerous times and made the entire process very easy and was in contact anytime we needed! He went above and beyond! He not only did a great job and kept everyone dancing at the reception, he created an amazing Father/ Daughter Medley... Read More Mix that was fantastic! We could not have been happier with our choice of DJ Scottro!

2016-07-20T19:24:31 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for choosing Modern Era Weddings and DJ Scottro! We had a blast with you guys every step of the way and hope to work with you again on your next event!

Michael Willis

Michael Willis, AKA DJ MadMike, is a professional party rocker from Washington DC. Mike has worked solely as a DJ for the last 10 years in various capacities, held multiple residencies, and worked as the entertainment director at multiple nightlife establishments in the Mid-Atlantic region. On the private event front Mike is an established wedding DJ with Modern Era Weddings who has amassed over 50 five-star reviews in the short 3 years he has been working in the private event sector. Guaranteed to make your party or event a conversation piece for you and your friends for years to come