Modern Era - Hall of Fame Entertainment and Design

Florida, Pittsburgh area, Washington D.C. area, Nationwide

The Knot's Hall-of-Fame / 6 Time Best of Winners!

Modern Era Weddings is a nationwide, full service, wedding planning, entertainment, and documentation company. We currently offer: The Nation’s best Wedding DJs, Live music booking, Photography, Videography, Lighting Design, and Photo booths. While expanding the depths of our services, we began receiving calls from all over the country from people who have seen us at events in Pittsburgh. This led us to focusing on some of the locations where our clients, and artists were located. We love these cities and consider them our second homes! If planning a destination wedding not in a Modern Era city, don’t worry! we can normally travel anywhere in the United States for a comparable rate! DC • Maryland • Virginia • New York • Orlando • Miami • Phoenix • Honolulu • San Juan (PR) • State

Classical, Country, Disco, Folk, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, Arabic, Indian, Klezmer, Latin, Persian, Polka, World Music

After Party, Ceremony, Reception, Wedding

MC Services, Recorded Music, Sound Equipment, Music, Equipment, Rentals + Equipment

Florida, Pittsburgh area, Washington D.C. area, Nationwide (412) 445-1797
PINTEREST

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Joe N

We are so happy that we went with Modern Era Weddings with DJ TJ Harris. It was important to us to work with a DJ that was able to mix, understand us, and keep a party going, and TJ went above and beyond to fulfill all of the above!! TJ was professional, fun, quick to respond,... Read More and had great suggestions, which was exactly what we wanted. TJ was there our entire day, from before the ceremony to set up until after 2am when our after party finished. He switched locations throughout our venue for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception without a hitch, stuck through the heat at our outdoor ceremony, and graciously volunteered to play our after party for several hours which is something that he truly did not have to do (but that we MUCH appreciated). He did a fantastic job of not only getting people on the dance floor, but keeping people on the dance floor. We had some last minute changes and updates that he rolled right along with. Even beyond how great he was to work with, he is a skilled, seasoned DJ and just watching him in his element was fun in itself. We felt secure in going with Modern Era from our first contact with them and felt that they truly cared about making our day awesome. Their online system is incredibly easy to use and was helpful at keeping things organized for everyone. I had several songs that I expected to be difficult to find, and TJ was able to find them all and work with a Spotify playlist that I had for cocktail hour and dinner. A DJ can truly make or break a wedding, and my husband and I can definitely say that going with Modern Era and TJ Harris MADE the wedding from start to finish. I cannot think of a single negative thing to say other than I wish that we had an excuse to have a giant party with TJ to DJ again. Thanks Modern Era and TJ!!

Reviewed on 4/24/2016 Preeti S

This review is for Josh Baez who provided the videography for our wedding. We had an Indian wedding with several events, and Josh was there for all of the them. We can't speak more highly of his professionalism and quality work. Despite admittedly limited experience with Indian... Read More weddings, he did a fantastic job capturing so many important moments during our sangeet, wedding and reception. I can't tell you how lucky we were to have Josh film our weekend. From a style standpoint, Josh is very nonintrusive, meaning he seems to be in 10 places at once, but doesn't interfere in any way when capturing moments. We also loved that he really focuses on natural filming, without any poses or dramatized scenes that we felt would be tacky for a wedding video. While his video was great, where we felt like Josh really shines is in his editing skills. He clearly is thorough and extremely professional in how he treats the editing. The way he integrated our song selections with the highlight reel was nothing short of perfect - we couldn't be happier! His communication has also been great - we've been able to bounce ideas off of him for editing and he's been really accommodating and wonderful. Overall, we wouldn't hesitate for a moment in recommending him as a wedding videographer. His experience with Indian weddings is only going to grow, and we're certain he'll be fantastic in whatever event he takes on. We couldn't be happier with both his work and professionalism!

Reviewed on 2/07/2017 Shanna B

Our DJ Tim Harris was excellent!! He understood exactly what we wanted and made it happen! The online DJ software they used was very simple and convenient. All of our guests had such a fun time on the dance floor and never sat down

Reviewed on 12/09/2016 Brittney J

I hired this company for their DJ services for my wedding on 12-3-2016. The DJ that was provided for me was John. He was great, we met at a local Starbucks to go over details a few weeks before the wedding to smooth out any kinks in the planning. I was not sure exactly what... Read More timeline to use and he was very helpful to my husband and I when deciding when to do certain events. I also opted for up lighting and he did a great job making the room have a wintery feel to match my winter theme. I had music for the entire day- ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner and reception. He did a great job! I would recommend this company and DJ to anyone looking to get married!

Reviewed on 12/08/2016 Natalie B

The best DJ's you can find in Pittsburgh !

Reviewed on 11/06/2016 Ashley R

We hired DJ Tyler for our wedding reception and we couldn't have been more pleased. Even though we were a little behind schedule our guests never knew because Tyler kept everything moving throughout the evening. I am still getting compliments from our guests on how wonderful the... Read More DJ was and that the dance floor was never empty. Great job Tyler, Brendan and I couldn't have asked for more!

Reviewed on 11/06/2016 Ashley R

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Dan P

Absolutely amazing work by Mike Willis & Modern Era! Mike set a great tone for the evening and kept everyone on the dance floor all night long. A DJ can make or break a wedding - Make sure to make your wedding memorable by making Modern Era your DJ of choice! Also, the... Read More videography & uplighting were excellent upgrades to make apart of your special day. Modern Era is worth every penny spent!

Reviewed on 10/29/2016 Bridget B

We couldn’t have been happier with Mike!! He is, hands down, the BEST DJ in Pittsburgh! Mike went above and beyond what was expected. We knew from the first time we met him that he was our guy!! He is very confident in what he does (as he should be!) and proved to both, my... Read More husband and myself, that he is very passionate about his job. Mike played a very big part in our wedding day. From the ceremony, to the cocktail hour, to the reception, to the end of the evening- he was ON POINT! I couldn’t have asked for someone better to make our day so special and memorable! Mike made sure everyone was where they were supposed to be…he kept the night moving along nicely. He was very involved and checked on us frequently to make sure everything was good. We chose specific songs for our ceremony, but let the reception up to Mike and he did not disappoint! We told him what kinds of music we liked and he ran with it! We used a few of our own personal GoPro cameras to capture some of the memories. Mike went out of his way and took it upon himself to move a few of the cameras so that they could capture the best angle, the speeches, and especially our first dance! He provided us with the utmost professional (and friendly) service that we hoped for and more!! Mike and Modern Era Weddings far exceeded our expectations!! Thank you so much!!

Reviewed on 10/28/2016 Libby K

We highly recommend! Modern Era Weddings was great to work with from the first inquiry through the end of the reception. Monica and Mike answered any questions and helped us stay on track of planning. The day of our wedding, Mike made the full wedding party and family feel at... Read More ease and excited about their entrance to the reception, and made sure to check in with me and the groom throughout the reception to make sure we were having a good time, getting what we wanted from him, etc. Modern Era Weddings was an integral part of our reception and they helped make our wedding as perfect as we imagined!

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Sara U

Look no further….you NEED to book Mike Willis with Modern Era Weddings as your DJ!! Crazy as this sounds he was the only DJ I looked at. His name was given to me by my photographer who is also based out of Pittsburgh, whom I completely trusted. When I went to Modern Era... Read More Weddings website and saw that Mike was the DJ for the hottest nightclub in Pittsburgh I knew I had to have him at my wedding! Only issue was he was in Pittsburgh and I lived in Maryland (I’m originally from Pittsburgh) I gave him a call anyways to see if there was any possibility of him coming out to Maryland and to my amazement he said he would travel out there and DJ!! I mean who does?! Right off the bat Mike and I connected. He seemed to know exactly what I wanted without me telling him. I love to dance and it was very important for me to have a DJ that could play great music and keep everyone entertained and on the dance floor. Well let me tell you, he brought his A game and certainly OVER delivered on my expectations. Not only was the dance floor packed all night, I received so many compliments praising how good he was and wanting him to DJ at all my friends upcoming weddings. Mike was not only an amazing DJ, he was also very attentive and caring to my needs that day. On several occasions he took the time out of what he was doing to make sure that my day was going smoothly and if there was anything he could do for me. My friends and family to this day still talk about Mike and how much fun he was! Thank you for making my wedding the best day ever Mike!

Reviewed on 10/20/2016 Casaundra D

Mike was AMAZING! Our previous vendor fell through last minute and Mike had a cancellation for our date, so the stars aligned perfectly for us to work together. We had a very tight timeline to put everything together so I pretty much gave Mike the basics and trusted him with... Read More everything else the entire night. The music he played was perfect. I remember hearing songs and feeling so happy that I choose him. I basically trusted my wedding to him. He was always responsive, very polite and so easy to work with! I also used Modern Era for videographer and photo booth and was incredibly happy with everything so far!!

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Erika H

Our wedding DJ was an important choice for us, we used TJ (Tim) Harris through Modern Era for our September wedding. He worked with us to create the perfect mix of songs for our wedding and kept the dance floor packed! He even added amazing personalized touches and ensured the... Read More ceremony went smoothly. We got so many complements on the DJ, including several that said he was the best wedding DJ they'd heard. Thanks TJ!

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Doug K

DJ TJ was awesome. He threw a great party and kept everyone dancing and having fun all night. We got lots of compliments from our guests about how good the music was, and he even joined us for the after party! The whole Modern Era experience was smooth and comfortable, and I... Read More highly recommend them.

2016-10-10T16:01:29 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much! TJ loved celebrating with you guys!

Reviewed on 9/12/2016 Lindsay F

Dj Scottro was at our wedding reception, he did an amazing job! Kept our dance floor full all night. Very easy to work with during the planning process met with us several times and always available if we had any questions. I could not ask for a better Dj than Scottro! Highly... Read More recommend him!

2016-10-10T15:59:46 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for choosing Modern Era, we had a blast with you guys!!

Reviewed on 8/30/2016

Modern Era was awesome, and TJ, our DJ was so helpful! He was very responsive and always got back to us quickly. He was easy to talk to and our planning meeting went great. TJ really listened to our ideas and offered advice on how to pull them off. He embraced our musical... Read More theme and created an awesome playlist to go along with our requests. Best of all, he's so talented! He had everyone dancing all night and he really helped to make our spring wedding into an awesome party. Modern Era (and TJ) was a great choice for our wedding - their staff are talented, they are really affordable, and they know their stuff. I would highly recommend them for any event.

Reviewed on 7/30/2016 Valerie C

Modern Era lived up to the acclaim. Mike Willis kept our wedding lively all night, as well as providing the cocktail and ceremony music. In my opinion, Mike even went above and beyond throughout the night to continually check in with my wife and myself to see if we needed... Read More anything or had any requests. Truly great service, and a great guy!

Reviewed on 7/20/2016 Brook B

So amazing, we are still talking about it! TJ and the crew at Modern Era Weddings were simply outstanding! TJ was professional, responsive, and thorough. He asked great questions during our two meetings, and really listened to what we wanted. He shared his ideas with us, and... Read More provided valuable feedback re: ceremony timelines, etc. He really embraced our (slightly crazy) ideas and showed tremendous enthusiasm - it was so refreshing to know that our DJ was excited to do our wedding! Most importantly, TJ is an AWESOME DJ!! He was flawless with our ceremony cues, and kept the night moving on schedule. He played all the songs we asked for, and selected the perfect additions from his own playlist, working perfectly with our eclectic tastes. The dance floor was packed all night and our guests danced until their feet hurt! Amazing job, TJ!

2016-07-20T19:22:13 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for choosing Modern Era Weddings and DJ TJ! We had an amazing time with you guys from the start! We appreciate your review and hope to work with you guys on your next event!

Reviewed on 7/06/2016 Katherine P

I am slightly obsessed with DJ Mike Willis. I seriously had THE best time dancing at my wedding. Mike is totally sweet, upbeat, excited. I told him I wanted a great party and he made it happen. He also played all the music for the ceremony and cocktail hour and everything... Read More was so on point. Reserve him now if you can!!

Reviewed on 6/29/2016 Breanne S

DJ Scottro was AMAZING!!!!! He met with us numerous times and made the entire process very easy and was in contact anytime we needed! He went above and beyond! He not only did a great job and kept everyone dancing at the reception, he created an amazing Father/ Daughter Medley... Read More Mix that was fantastic! We could not have been happier with our choice of DJ Scottro!

2016-07-20T19:24:31 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for choosing Modern Era Weddings and DJ Scottro! We had a blast with you guys every step of the way and hope to work with you again on your next event!

Reviewed on 6/23/2016 Marie P

DJ Mike Willis was amazing! The best DJ out there! I got many compliments on how great of a job the DJ did. He kept the timing of the wedding perfectly! I was beyond impressed! I totally left all of the decisions on the songs up to him – minus the first dance of course – and... Read More the songs he picked were perfect! He kept the dance floor packed the whole night! He is the owner of Modern Era Weddings and I would recommend him to everyone!

Reviewed on 6/02/2016 Joelle M

DJ Scottro was AMAZING! He met with us a few times to make sure the timeline was perfect and our song choices were all made. He also kept everyone on the dance floor for hours which was really important to us! We had SO many compliments on how great of a job he did which... Read More really made our night!

Reviewed on 11/25/2015 Alissa R

I can't say enough good things about DJ Tim (TJ) Harris and Modern Era Weddings. From beginning to end TJ and the online system made everything so easy and stress free. Most importantly, TJ literally had every single person at our wedding on the dance floor. My husband and I... Read More wanted an awesome dance party and he exceed our expectations. all our guest commented how great the music was and that they had never had so much fun at a wedding. I highly recommend TJ to any bride and groom!

Reviewed on 11/17/2015

Absolutely fantastic! My wife and I wanted a DJ that would not only get people on the dance floor but keep them on the dance floor - mission accomplished! We had Scottro as our DJ/MC for our wedding on October 10th and we could not have been happier. My mother - who prefers... Read More bands - was asking for his information to book him at other events before the night was over. That is all you need to know. The entire process was flawless from our first meeting to closing down the after party at the reception. Scott had every planned and organized. There were no headaches, no chasing down answers. He was prompted in everything he did. He was professional. Absolutely first class. Super down to earth and easy to work with and made our wedding day better than either my wife or I could imagined. You owe it to yourself, your bride your groom or whoever - book with these guys they are the best of the best!

Reviewed on 11/06/2015

DJ Scottro was great at our reception! My husband and I couldn't be happier with him. We received many compliments from our guests on what a wonderful job he did.

Michael Willis

Michael Willis, AKA DJ MadMike, is a professional party rocker from Washington DC. Mike has worked solely as a DJ for the last 10 years in various capacities, held multiple residencies, and worked as the entertainment director at multiple nightlife establishments in the Mid-Atlantic region. On the private event front Mike is an established wedding DJ with Modern Era Weddings who has amassed over 50 five-star reviews in the short 3 years he has been working in the private event sector. Guaranteed to make your party or event a conversation piece for you and your friends for years to come