Modern Era - Hall of Fame Entertainment and Design

Florida, Pittsburgh area, Washington D.C. area, Nationwide

The Knot's Hall-of-Fame / 6 Time Best of Winners!

Modern Era Weddings is a nationwide, full service, wedding planning, entertainment, and documentation company. We currently offer: The Nation’s best Wedding DJs, Live music booking, Photography, Videography, Lighting Design, and Photo booths. While expanding the depths of our services, we began receiving calls from all over the country from people who have seen us at events in Pittsburgh. This led us to focusing on some of the locations where our clients, and artists were located. We love these cities and consider them our second homes! If planning a destination wedding not in a Modern Era city, don’t worry! we can normally travel anywhere in the United States for a comparable rate! DC • Maryland • Virginia • New York • Orlando • Miami • Phoenix • Honolulu • San Juan (PR) • State

Arabic, Classical, Country, Disco, Folk, Hip-Hop, Indian, Jazz, Klezmer, Latin, Persian, Polka, Pop, R&B, Rock, World Music

After Party, Ceremony, Reception, Wedding

MC Services, Recorded Music, Sound Equipment, Music, Planning, Audio/Visual Equipment, Equipment

07ca00f0 7e34 4e38 ba58 5f372a4094da~rs 100
7504f472 fbdf 4115 a317 0a8fdec1b4a5~rs 100

Florida, Pittsburgh area, Washington D.C. area, Nationwide (412) 445-1797
PINTEREST

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Joe N

We are so happy that we went with Modern Era Weddings with DJ TJ Harris. It was important to us to work with a DJ that was able to mix, understand us, and keep a party going, and TJ went above and beyond to fulfill all of the above!! TJ was professional, fun, quick to respond,... Read More and had great suggestions, which was exactly what we wanted. TJ was there our entire day, from before the ceremony to set up until after 2am when our after party finished. He switched locations throughout our venue for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception without a hitch, stuck through the heat at our outdoor ceremony, and graciously volunteered to play our after party for several hours which is something that he truly did not have to do (but that we MUCH appreciated). He did a fantastic job of not only getting people on the dance floor, but keeping people on the dance floor. We had some last minute changes and updates that he rolled right along with. Even beyond how great he was to work with, he is a skilled, seasoned DJ and just watching him in his element was fun in itself. We felt secure in going with Modern Era from our first contact with them and felt that they truly cared about making our day awesome. Their online system is incredibly easy to use and was helpful at keeping things organized for everyone. I had several songs that I expected to be difficult to find, and TJ was able to find them all and work with a Spotify playlist that I had for cocktail hour and dinner. A DJ can truly make or break a wedding, and my husband and I can definitely say that going with Modern Era and TJ Harris MADE the wedding from start to finish. I cannot think of a single negative thing to say other than I wish that we had an excuse to have a giant party with TJ to DJ again. Thanks Modern Era and TJ!!

Reviewed on 12/03/2017 Melissa C

I give Mike Willis from Modern Era not a 5 but a 10 + rating. We had the best wedding we could have asked for. Mike put together la hora loca show, we had dancers, guys on stilts, drummers. All of our guest had a blast!. It was a jaw dropping event. It was definitely the... Read More highlight of the night. Til today we get phone calls from family members and friends talking about what a wonderful, fun, unique wedding experience they had. I highly recommend Modern Era for any type of event.

Reviewed on 4/24/2016 Preeti S

This review is for Josh Baez who provided the videography for our wedding. We had an Indian wedding with several events, and Josh was there for all of the them. We can't speak more highly of his professionalism and quality work. Despite admittedly limited experience with Indian... Read More weddings, he did a fantastic job capturing so many important moments during our sangeet, wedding and reception. I can't tell you how lucky we were to have Josh film our weekend. From a style standpoint, Josh is very nonintrusive, meaning he seems to be in 10 places at once, but doesn't interfere in any way when capturing moments. We also loved that he really focuses on natural filming, without any poses or dramatized scenes that we felt would be tacky for a wedding video. While his video was great, where we felt like Josh really shines is in his editing skills. He clearly is thorough and extremely professional in how he treats the editing. The way he integrated our song selections with the highlight reel was nothing short of perfect - we couldn't be happier! His communication has also been great - we've been able to bounce ideas off of him for editing and he's been really accommodating and wonderful. Overall, we wouldn't hesitate for a moment in recommending him as a wedding videographer. His experience with Indian weddings is only going to grow, and we're certain he'll be fantastic in whatever event he takes on. We couldn't be happier with both his work and professionalism!

Reviewed on 1/24/2018 Kelsey S

MODERN ERA IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST!! We used them for photography, videography, DJ, and day-of coordination. They were a huge part of our wedding and truly delivered the best experience imaginable. Mike Willis was so flexible and accommodating. He met with us at my husband's office... Read More to explain the available services and he painted a picture of the MEW experience. We ended up using Kristen Vota for photography, Dan Fried for videography, DJ Scottro for our DJ, and Sarah Campbell for our day-of coordinator. THEY ALL WERE AMAZING! Kristen was so wonderful - she is truly a talented photographer. She did our engagement pictured and wedding pictures. All are amazing. Dan was awesome – we are SO excited to see the video! DJ Scottro was of course, AMAZING! He met with us before the wedding to get to know us better which made the experience all the more special. Lastly, Sarah Campbell was absolutely incredible as our day-of coordinator. I have no idea how the day would have went without her! She met with us several times before the wedding, helped us plan the day, worked with all of our vendors, managed every aspect of the day from sun up to sun down, and she did everything with a smile on her face. She also helped my mom assemble the cookie table since the Sheraton refused to do this. My mom still talks about how she truly was a life saver. Our cookie table was one of the biggest and best the Sheraton has ever seen and I owe that ALL to my mom and Sarah! SARAH AND HER MOM EVEN BAKED US GOODIES FOR THE TABLE! She even got us a wedding gift! I truly could go on and on about how wonderful she made the experience. Without a doubt, if you want vendors who are passionate about making Weddings special, the obvious choice is Modern Era Weddings!

Reviewed on 1/12/2018 Kayla R

How much is your first dance worth? It’s been said that you could spend thousands of dollars on a wedding and cheap DJ can ruin it all that was my experience with Modern Era Weddings and DJ David Noel and his manager Michael Willis. We spent a lot of money on most wedding... Read More vendors and choose Modern Era Weddings because it was $1500.00 for unlimited hours, great right? Not so great for us. When I think back on my wedding at the reception, I will always remember feeling rushed. From our first dance timing being cut in half, to the worst Polish Wedding dance ever, to my grandparents being cut off when trying to give my husband and I advise. I sincerely believe DJ David Noel was trying to get this reception over as quickly as possible, forgetting all established timelines and verbiage. We had a singer come in to do a memorial song for my late grandmother and DJ David Noel, handed her the mic and didn't announce anything. Meanwhile he helped me develop a message in person just a week before, it was so awkward. The only consoling we received from his manager was the message below, no refunds for us because he didn’t want to “take money away from Dave’s family.” See his response below: Kayla, There are three sides to every story, and obviously various things happened here that upset you on your wedding day. My DJ believes that he played a majority of the song, and you state that he “cut it off before the first chorus”, so I am hearing two widely varying stories. There is one source of absolute truth in this case and that is the fact that the entire evening was recorded on video. The video will show us exactly how long the first dance was, and if he cut it off negligently. I could not determine this through my investigation because he played the first dance from an outside source and not through the normal DJ software that we use. I hope you understand, I am obviously sympathetic to your needs in this situation, and want to remedy it the best way possible. Before I take money away from Dave’s family to refund a portion of your cost, I need to truly make sure that I have the whole story. -Cheers Michael Willis 410.474.0968 2402 Sidney St Pittsburgh, Pa 15203 Modern Era Weddings [email protected]

Reviewed on 12/10/2017 Laura S

Modern Era is the best! Mike was EXCEPTIONAL and everyone danced all night. We had and endless compliments and some guests even asked if he had a copy of the playlist because it was so good. We are so glad we hired Mike to DJ our wedding. He was the perfect MC and kept the... Read More wedding moving with the perfect enthusiasm. He also kept checking on us to see if we needed anything and truly worked hard to make our night perfect. Don’t think twice, hire now!

Reviewed on 11/27/2017 Christina V

Modern Era did a phenomenal job! The personalized monogram and uplighting throughout our venue we're perfect for the space and exactly what we wanted. Mike Willis met with us beforehand to make sure our vision really came to fruition - and then executed it flawlessly! We also... Read More had DJ Selecta handle the music, and really the only way to put it is that he KILLED IT! Rare is the DJ who can transition seamlessly from cocktail hour to dinner to dance music. Selecta is a master of all 3. Our dance floor was packed from beginning to end, and our guests weren't exactly dancing people. Selecta read the crowd perfectly like the true professional that he is. 5/5 stars for Mike, DJ Selecta, and the entire Modern Era crew. Thanks for making our wedding amazing!

Reviewed on 11/22/2017 Melissa P

My husband and I got married on August 5, 2017 and had DJ TJ Harris as our wedding DJ. He was hands down our best wedding vendor! During the day of our wedding he was so much more than just a DJ, he literally made sure the entire reception ran smoothly. Not only that, but our... Read More dance floor was packed the entire time. We also had several compliments from our guests when it came to the music at our reception. I cannot say enough wonderful things about him. I would recommend him to other couples looking for a wedding DJ.

Reviewed on 11/21/2017 Teresa P

My husband and I booked Modern Era for their DJ services for our wedding because we had heard really awesome things about a few of their DJs. After reading exclusively positive reviews about Tom Walter, we chose him for our wedding DJ. This was most likely the greatest decision... Read More surrounding our wedding that we could have made. Tom was FANTASTIC - he kept the crowd alive for so many hours, kept everything moving very smoothly, and played amazing music the entire night...I'm talking from the moment our cocktail hour started at 5:00pm until after midnight when the reception ended. I honestly can't tell you how many people told my husband and me that they hadn't had so much fun in their entire lives! We met with Tom multiple times before the wedding, which was great! It was really nice getting to know him before the big day and he was super accommodating with meeting times and locations. My husband and I have been at too many weddings where the reception falls flat because the DJ isn't reading the crowd and playing the right music...you will NOT have this problem with Tom. Seriously, if Tom at Modern Era isn't your first choice for the DJ at your wedding/event, think again!

Reviewed on 11/03/2017 Lyndsay P

Can’t say enough great things about DJ Mike Willis and Modern Era Weddings. Very professional, super prepared, had absolutely everything covered, and most importantly, kept the party going and the dance floor packed all night! He took the time to meet with us in advance to go... Read More over all the details and ensure everything would go smoothly on the big day. He was easy to reach and answered any questions we had throughout the wedding planning process. We still have wedding guests saying how awesome he was and how much fun they had on the dance floor at our wedding. He also frequently checked in with my husband and I during our reception, asking if we needed drinks and kept us on schedule with our reception timeline. Would hire Mike again in a heartbeat. Thanks again for everything!

Reviewed on 10/31/2017 Kathleen S

Hiring Modern Era was one of the best decisions I made throughout the entire wedding planning process!!! From planning to execution, they provide the best all-around service imaginable. Not only did Mike help us to plan every detail (from introductions to last dance), but I had... Read More so many guests tell me that it was the best reception they'd ever attended. Our party went non-stop from 5-11, and Mike, our DJ, never missed a beat. He made sure that everything went smoothly, and he had our guests on the dance floor the entire night! All of the details of the day are important, but it's the DJ who makes or breaks the party, and ours was the best party EVER!!! Mike is an absolute professional. I am so thrilled that he was there to make our day so spectacular.

Reviewed on 10/23/2017 Alyssa V

Mike Willis was an awesome DJ who doubled as a coordinator of sorts at our wedding. He was phenomenal and he kept the guests dancing all night. Everyone had a blast. Mike also kept the bridal party on track for introductions, and he regularly checked in with me to make sure I... Read More knew what was happening and what I should be doing. Mike is a busy guy, so I didn't always hear back from him quickly, BUT I filled out the planning forms and left things up to him (e.g., ceremony music) and he nailed it. It was nice to have someone who knew exactly what was up because the last thing you need on your wedding day is one more thing to think about. I could not be happier with Modern Era or Mike. Book him!

Reviewed on 10/16/2017 Sara R

A good DJ was way up on our list of must-haves after going to a wedding that had a number of stops and dead air. After looking at some reviews on the Knot, I contacted Modern Era. Mike got back to me quickly and set up a time to talk. I was sold! Mike was amazing! We got a... Read More ton of compliments on him afterwards. He kept the entire night flowing and people on the floor from the moment it opened up. Their online portal was so easy to use and allowed us to make a play and do-not play list for the night. A DJ is so important to the night and this was such a great decision! I would highly recommend!!

Reviewed on 10/14/2017 Christina H

We had Mike as our DJ and it was amazing. Made the wedding for sure. Our guests had a blast and so did we. The option of having a must play list and do not play list was great. He made sure to get all our songs played and fill in where needed. I recommend him to anyone having a... Read More wedding you will not regret it .i would never have anyone else

Reviewed on 10/09/2017 Ashley S

DJ Chris was amazing! We knew from the beginning that we wanted a DJ that could keep the party going all night and that he did! We knew the DJ was one of the most important aspects of our wedding and he did not disappoint. He was very quick, prompt, and helpful before the... Read More wedding regarding all of our questions and concerns. He was with us all day for our wedding. He did the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception. He kept everyone on the dance floor all night. The dance floor was always packed. Anytime we had a request, he took care of it immediately. That includes announcements and song requests. He even helped get the crowd started in singing happy birthday to the groom's grandfather. He did an incredible job and we couldn't have asked for a better DJ. He was more than easy to work with which is great considering all the stress of planning a wedding. We still get compliments to this day in regards to DJ Chris. Chris made our day extremely fun, but also made it very easy and personable. I would recommend Chris to anyone. I know if I need a DJ anytime in the future, I will be using Chris. You definitely won't be disappointed!!

Reviewed on 9/26/2017 Nicole B

We just had DJ Xavier from Modern Era for our wedding in early September, and I cannot recommend him enough! He was always prompt to answer our phone calls, emails, and text messages, and even worked with us to meet during a time that worked for our schedule given that we live... Read More out of town. When our wedding day came, he was prepared and greeted us with open arms. He had the music we requested and then some! He was playing hits all night, and the dance floor stayed packed from beginning to end. Modern Era is definitely on the pricier side when it comes to DJ's in the Pittsburgh area, however, their all-inclusive, unlimited hours makes it worth it when compared to other companies. Also, the expense is worth it when you have guests on the dance floor having the time of their lives. Thanks for making our wedding day a success Modern Era!

Reviewed on 9/01/2017 Matthew B

DJ MadMike was amazing! He did his own thing at our wedding this past weekend at the Omni William Penn and the dance floor was packed the entire wedding. He was great to work with and very attentive to the bride and groom the entire time. I highly recommend him for your wedding!

Reviewed on 8/23/2017 Alyssa B

Mike was hands down the best DJ ever!! He was accommodating to whatever our needs were, he controlled the timeline and guided us throughout the night, and lastly, he kept everyone up dancing and having fun all night long!! He played the best music, continuing to accommodate the... Read More crowd, and we had so many compliments on how much fun people were having. I would recommend him to anyone and everyone - he was the absolute best!!! Thanks so much Mike!!

Reviewed on 8/18/2017 Rose N

DJ Tim (TJ) Harris was spectacular. He was super responsive to our requests and really did a lot to make our wedding day special. The dance floor was packed the whole time. There were people there who usually don't dance who were living for the music. He was so nice and... Read More super fun. He really worked with us and helped keep the reception moving but was not pushy. Great music mixes and so professional. Definitely use Modern Era, it's worth the money and requst DJ Tim (TJ) Harris!!

Reviewed on 8/09/2017 Sierra C

Booking Modern Era is a must for your DJ! We were SO happy to have an actual PROFESSIONAL DJ at our wedding. Their online system was beyond helpful as well as our dj. We were able to get ahold of him anytime via call or text!

Reviewed on 8/01/2017 Kaylen D

We used Modern Era for our Dj and we had Mike. OMG WAS HE FANTASTIC!!! Within seconds of the music starting, LITERALLY EVERYONE was on the dance floor!! We couldn't believe it!!! EVERYONE!!! He was so awesome, played all the right music that kept people on the floor, and somehow... Read More was simultaneously checking up on me and my groom!! He was an absolute gem!!!!!!

Reviewed on 7/19/2017 Carolyn I

I wanted to thank DJ Tyler for being such a great DJ on our wedding day! He was there all day providing the music for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and the reception. Tyler was always available through text when I had questions and was great to work with. I have had multiple... Read More comments when talking to people about my wedding about how much fun they had and what a great DJ we had! I think I danced the whole night!!

Reviewed on 7/04/2017 Erica M

Our wedding day turned out better than we ever could have imagined thanks to exceptional vendors like DJ Scottro. We think so highly of Scott as a person and a DJ and are grateful that he was a part of our special day. On the wedding day, he was extremely professional and... Read More accommodating to our needs. He truly gave us the sense that he wanted to make our special day the best it could be. Thank you for everything Scott & Modern Era!

Reviewed on 6/24/2017 Jamie U

I cannot say enough great things about Modern Era Weddings! DJ Mike Willis is hands down the best choice you can make for your wedding. My now husband and I had first witnessed Mike's talent at our friends wedding a few years ago. My husband does not dance but that night he... Read More never left the dance floor. I knew immediately when we got engaged that I needed to find this DJ!! First I booked Mike, then uplighting, then the photobooth, and finally videography with another Mike all through Modern Era. It was amazing to be able to book all these services with one vendor and helped diffuse a lot of stress. The day of, everyone was on time, the uplighting looked spectacular, and DJ Mike and his assistant Nate were on point. I felt like I could really enjoy my evening with my husband and the people we love without worrying about what song was coming next or what event was next. Mike kept things moving and always gave me updates throughout the evening so I knew what to expect and where to be. His song selection was on point and not only got people out on the dance floor but kept them out! Guests are still writing us to say it was the best wedding they have ever been to. We truly had the best day of our lives and cannot thank Modern Era enough for making the day beyond what we could have ever imagined!!

Reviewed on 6/08/2017 Roxanna K

We had a great experience with Modern Era, and couldn’t have asked for a more friendly, professional, and easy-going vendor to work with. When we met our DJ, Scott, we immediately felt confident in our choice. Throughout our planning, he promptly answered questions, clearly... Read More communicated what he needed from us, and was simply a really nice guy. On our wedding day, he was prepared, organized, accommodating, and everything (from our ceremony and cocktail hour, to dinner and dancing) went perfectly. We also elected to add their uplighting services which turned out exactly as we wanted, and at a reasonable rate.

Michael Willis

Michael Willis, AKA DJ MadMike, is a professional party rocker from Washington DC. Mike has worked solely as a DJ for the last 10 years in various capacities, held multiple residencies, and worked as the entertainment director at multiple nightlife establishments in the Mid-Atlantic region. On the private event front Mike is an established wedding DJ with Modern Era Weddings who has amassed over 50 five-star reviews in the short 3 years he has been working in the private event sector. Guaranteed to make your party or event a conversation piece for you and your friends for years to come!