We create memories that last a lifetime.

Our focus is designing unique and memorable destination weddings and honeymoons with the highest level of personalized services. We provide our customer with a unique touch of outstanding personal service blended with our travel expertise every step of the way. Although we are family owned, the industry’s finest recognizes our commitment to excellence. Here is what we guarantee: 1. We do not charge a fee for our services. 2. Our rate is the same or lower – We will price match it. 3. We will use our connections with top resorts around the world to provide you with VIP status. 4. Our vacation specialists will always go the extra mile for you in order to exceed your expectations. 5. We will handle everything expertly so that you have a stress free

Honeymoon

Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Wedding Planning, Destination Weddings, Honeymoon Planning

San Ramon, CA (510) 367-9324

Reviewed on 2/09/2017 Nerissa O

So glad we chose Modern Romance Travel for our destination wedding. I found Melissa from a list of Wow Specialists on Hard Rock Vallarta's website. After meeting Melissa for the first time I knew we were in good hands. Planning a destination wedding may seem overwhelming, but... Read More after working with her I highly recommend it. Melissa took care of all the travel stress for us. She answered any and all questions our wedding guests had. She updated us on the travel details and kept us on track up until our wedding day. I am truly thankful for having Melissa by my side. She lifted a huge amount of work off of my plate. If you have any reservations about planning a destination wedding...keep calm and call Melissa!

2017-02-16T11:37:57 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much N & A for the review. It was an honor to help you plan your destination wedding. It was an absolute pleasure working with you two. I am so happy that your friends and family had a great time at Hard... Read Less Read More

AWESOME Destination Wedding Planner

Reviewed on 10/19/2015

We met Melissa Varela of Modern Romance Travel by chance while waiting in line for customs coming back from a vacation in Mexico when we were still dating. We both wanted a destination wedding, so several months later, once we were engaged, we contacted Melissa to enlist her... Read More help in planning our wedding. Melissa was simply AMAZING to work with from the beginning of planning the wedding to several weeks after the wedding. She helped us decide on a location for our wedding by providing us with numerous options for resorts including what was offered and the cost of the different wedding packages at each of the resorts, what promotions were available for the bride and groom and the guests, and what dates, times, and locales were available. Since Melissa had personally visited all of the resorts we were looking at, she was able to give us her candid impression of the resorts, which we found very helpful. We, and our guests, had a ton of questions throughout this whole process and Melissa always answered not only our inquires and concerns, but those of our family and friends, quickly and thoroughly. We never had to worry about any of the details of the wedding because Melissa served as a liaison between us and the travel company (who handled all of the guests accommodations and travel to and from the airport) and the resort (who managed all of the specific details of our wedding). We truly felt that Melissa had our best interests at hand and wanted our wedding experience to be special. Melissa facilitated resolving any issues we experienced even after the wedding. We would undoubtedly recommend Melissa Varela to anyone planning a destination wedding or family vacation! Stacy and Shane Winkelman

2015-10-19T22:57:03 Response from the vendor

Thank you again S & S for this stellar review!! And Thank you for letting me be a part of your happy ever after! I loved working with you both. I wish you both the best today and always.

Reviewed on 4/12/2018 Amanda N

Our experience with Melissa can be summed up with one word, FABULOUS! She is a dream to work with and is completely in tune with your wants and expectations. Even when we weren't quite sure what we were first looking for, she was immediately able to pinpoint what she thought we... Read More would like based on just a few ideas that we threw out at her. If you don't know where to start for your wedding, or even if you do, she will make the process a breeze. You won't have to become a bridezilla as you will feel so at peace knowing Melissa is taking care of all the tedious wedding tasks. She is always prompt and anything we needed, she provided. We will have to have multiple vowel renewals just so we can work with her again!! =D LOVE HER!!!

2018-04-14T10:51:06 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much A and A for this fantastic review! It means so much . I truly enjoyed working with you and your family. You two were so easy going, and the perfect couple to work with. Your wedding was incredible and everything came... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 3/29/2018 megan

Melissa and her team at Modern Romance Travel were great every step of the way. She was helpful in choosing a venue, securing a contract with discounts that helped lower our overall costs, and assisted all our guests with their reservations and travel accommodations. She made... Read More traveling on our big day easy and stress free. I definitely recommend her to any future brides!

2018-03-29T22:06:31 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much M and J for this fantastic review. It means so much . Your wedding looked incredible. Thank you again for trusting me with your wedding. It was a joy and honor to work with you two. Best wishes!

Reviewed on 3/28/2018 Nicole H

Second time using Modern Romance for a destination wedding! Beautiful resorts with wonderful service. Always good suggestions on excursions and how to get the best pricing for them. Would definitely use again. Transportation to and from the airport were easy even in another... Read More country. Had a wonderful time!!

2018-03-28T22:28:31 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! We truly appreciate your feedback! We are glad you had a wonderful time at both weddings! We LOVE to hear this! Thank you again!

Reviewed on 3/28/2018 Salvador G

Had our destination wedding in Cancun, Mexico! Melissa with Modern Romance Travel recommended the Hyatt Ziva and we loved it. Melissa was amazing with organizing all of our guest's travel arrangements. We had a large wedding as far as guests and everything went totally... Read More smooth. A bus was waiting for us at the airport and everyone was satisfied with the service. Our guests were also very pleased at the fact that they were able to book their room and make payments to the room, vice paying it all at once.

2018-03-28T22:26:39 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much S and L for choosing us to help plan your destination wedding. We really enjoyed working with you and your family. Congratulations again! We wish you all the best! Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We appreciate... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 1/03/2018 Marissa E

Melissa and Modern Romance Travel are absolutely amazing. Melissa made our honeymoon to Tahiti so easy! We spent two nights on Moorea and four nights on Bora Bora. Everything from our flights, car to/from the hotel and Catamaran were all squared away and made easy for us. One of... Read More our connecting flights was delayed and Melissa immediately emailed us letting us know. Melissa gave us suggestions for activities to do on both of the islands and how to book the activities. She also recommending we stay at the Thalasso while on Bora Bora and the hotel was breathtakingly beautiful! We will continue to book with Melissa and Modern Romance Travel!

Reviewed on 10/13/2017 Chris K

Melissa and her team at Modern Travel did a great job at making our wedding such an amazing experience. We are very thankful for all the hard work and wholeheartedly recommend her to any wedding couple planning their destination wedding to make sure their guests are taken care... Read More of. Thanks Maryam and Chris

2017-10-15T06:18:47 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much Maryam and Chris for this amazing review! I really enjoyed working with you and your family. Your photos were stunning, !! Thank you again for sharing your experiences, it reinforces my love for this industry and job. I wish you both... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 9/25/2017 stephanie A

I was so excited about doing a destination wedding and had no idea where to start! We had picked the Dominican Republic as our destination and Hard Rock Hotel to host our wedding. So, while looking through the website I came across Modern Romance Travel and their partnership... Read More with the hotel. I came in contact with Melissa Varela in California. She made it simple and stress-free to book for me and my guests. It was a great experience to sit back and let her do work! I always imagined being so stressed in planning the wedding, but it was the complete opposite. I would highly recommend it to anyone who decides to do a destination wedding to do it through modern romance. I was always involved, the constant back and forth emailing with quick responses, always. Cant complain. Had a great time overall! Excellent! 10/10

2017-09-26T00:15:32 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much Stephanie for taking the time to write this amazing review. I am so happy that your wedding was fantastic!! I loved working with you two and wish you a lifetime of love and happiness!!

Reviewed on 5/09/2017 Melissa S

Melissa is great! She made everything very easy as far as planning and booking for our trip. She was on top of it!! The wedding and vacation were awesome! Definitely recommend their services!

2017-05-09T14:09:04 Response from the vendor

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write this review. I really appreciate it and it means so much!! I am so happy that you had an amazing time at the wedding!!

Reviewed on 5/08/2017 Dee J

Melissa was AMAZING. She was very genuine, kind, and organized. You can tell she has a passion for and enjoys what she does. Our best friend's wedding in Riviera Maya, Mexico was the wedding of the century for all of us. We wish we could go back. Thank you to Melissa for making... Read More us feel so supported, taken care of, and safe the entire time. We had a blast, the entire trip, ceremony, and reception was beautiful, a dream come true. There was nothing to worry about-everything ran smoothly and all our questions were answered. We miss it so much already. Thank you so much!!!

2017-05-08T15:15:43 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I really appreciate it!! Reading this review just made my day! I am so happy that you had a fantastic time!! It was a perfect wedding, for an incredible couple. Thank you again... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 5/05/2017 Andrew H

The Modern Romance Travel Agency is definitely the best option any bride and groom should contact if they want to do a destination wedding. I was very impressed with our travel agent Melissa Varela. Her dedication and easy means of communication were essential to making our... Read More destination wedding dreams come true. Melissa has done countless destination weddings, and it definitely was proven to us through this whole process. She was able to provide detailed information about every question we had. She was extremely knowledgeable about each resort she presented to us and matched the perfect resort with the services and amenities we had on our wedding list. She kept close communication with us as well as the resort we had chosen; if we were not being answered by the resort she made sure they would contact us within the next day. She also took care of accommodating all our wedding guests and ensuring that they all had ground transportation from the airport to the resort as well as transportation back to the airport. Each of our guests could not stop talking about how friendly and professional she was. They mentioned that she was very flexible regarding payments and punctual with deadlines she provided. In addition, she provided every guest with an itinerary of their trip a couple weeks before their departure. In that package, she provided some helpful tips on how to plan your stay in the resort and suggested items to bring. Overall, Modern Romance Travel Agency has surpassed my expectations for a destination wedding. More specifically, Melissa has gone above and beyond to ensure the gratification of the bride/groom and their wedding guests. I cannot thank her enough for making our wedding dreams a reality. I definitely recommend them to any bride and groom that wish to inquire about a destination wedding. You won't regret it!

2017-05-08T15:18:02 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much A and M for this fantastic review! You both have been so wonderful to work with. Thank you for trusting me with your wedding. It truly is an honor to be a part of your happy ever after. I wish you... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 3/20/2017 Marium A

Melissa was amazing! She exceeded all my expectations. She helped from start to finish. She was knowledgable and prompt. She did offer me the best rate possible, she even beat the hotels group rate! She helped every single one of my guests which saved me a headache! She even... Read More helped us schedule a private tour to do some sightseeing.

Reviewed on 2/20/2017 S R

Melissa is patient, organized, informative, and truly so helpful. She is authentically kind and caring. Several of our guests came up to us at our wedding and said how helpful she was and how pleasant it was to deal with her. She is very comprehensive and thorough and can help... Read More

the most indecisive couple make the perfect choice. I would recommend her to anyone planning a destination wedding!

Hard Rock Cancun

Reviewed on 10/28/2015

We booked our all-inclusive trip to Cancun, Mexico with Melissa. She helped us find the best deals for our family getaway and provided us with excellent service. Thank you so much for answering all of our questions and making everything so easy. We cannot wait to work with you... Read More again in the future. -Emmanuel & Fritzie

2015-11-03T00:05:14 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much E and F !! You were wonderful to work with. I am so happy that you enjoyed your all inclusive vacation to the Hard Rock!

Modern Romance Travel is the best!

Reviewed on 10/18/2015

Modern Romance Travel did an amazing job with helping us plan our destination wedding. She exceeded all of our expectations! Planning a destination wedding can be difficult and sometimes overwhelming, but Melissa is very knowledgeable and willing to help with all situations. She... Read More helped me narrow down the resorts and we ultimately chose the Hard Rock Riviera Maya. We really enjoyed the Hard Rock and so did our guests. She handled all of our guests and their questions. She also booked our guests’ rooms for them and contacted the guests directly. Modern Romance Travel was great about getting back to me and providing whatever information I needed. When Modern Romance Travel takes care of your wedding, you won’t have to worry about one single detail. Melissa did a phenomenal job and made sure our wedding day was much better than we could have ever dreamed of. Our day was perfect. We would recommended Modern Romance Travel to anyone even slightly considering a destination wedding in fact even to couples that aren’t even engaged yet. From the minute we started working with Modern Romance Travel, she made wedding planning completely stress free and I cannot thank her enough for going above and beyond! We are grateful for Melissa and Modern Romance Travel!

2015-10-19T22:55:19 Response from the vendor

Thanks C & V for the review! I really appreciate it. It was fantastic to work with you both! I am so very happy that your wedding was perfect!! I love the pictures. Wishing you both lots of love and happiness!!

Destination Wedding of Our Dreams!

Reviewed on 10/15/2015 Michelle M

We had the pleasure of using Modern Romance Travel for our destination wedding and I am so happy we did- they are absolutely fantastic! From the first day Melissa Varela (owner of Modern Romance Travel) was there to answer all our questions (and we had many!) plus went above... Read More and beyond with not only travel knowledge but with her professionalism, patience and ability to make us feel valued. Melissa is very sweet and knows her trade from the inside out; everything from assisting us in choosing our location, suggesting dates that were cohesive to the time of the year (a hurricane is definitely not ideal during a wedding ceremony) as well as suggesting resorts that fit us best. Melissa took the time to explain each location (such as theme & style, resort credits offered, what’s included / not included, etc.) and also offered us her experience based on her personal travels to Mexico; she is a seasoned traveler and will provide you with location tips and perspective regarding each property. My spouse and I chose the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya (approximately one hour south of Cancun) in July 2015 and we were not disappointed. The resort was amazing; the atmosphere was fun & modern, the customer service was attentive & friendly and the food quality & variety surpassed our expectations- our guests were extremely impressed. Modern Romance Travel's dedication to a job well done and making their clients happy is an evident priority. Throughout the whole booking process Melissa remained in constant contact with us by providing guest updates, a detailed explanation of the total cost, as well as flight suggestions, just to name a few. Even when our travel arrangements had been finalized, Melissa would reach out to us and inquire if there was anything else she could assist us with- you rarely find that level of customer service anymore. If you are looking for a remarkable travel coordinator, look no further. As a matter of fact the newly established Garcia family will be reaching out to her again for our romantic anniversary trip in 2016. Thank you Modern Romance Travel for making our special day even more wonderful and cheers to your continued success! XOXO, Michelle & Ten Garcia

2015-10-19T22:52:20 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much M & T for taking the time to write this amazing review. I am so happy that your wedding was fantastic!! I loved working with you two and wish you a lifetime of love and happiness!!

Look no further!

Reviewed on 10/15/2015 Patty B

Melissa is a Godsend! She found us the greatest deals for our cruise and excursions. Very responsive, friendly, and easy to work with.

2015-10-15T11:36:26 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much, P! It was a pleasure to work with you both! I was so happy to help you with your honeymoon. Wishing you both a lifetime of happiness!!

Melissa Varela

Melissa is a certified Destination Wedding and Honeymoon Specialist. She believes in continuing education in the industry and visits preferred partner resorts frequently. She has worked over the years to develop a strong relationship with travel partners, resort management and wedding coordinators. She travels several times a year to attend conferences, expos, educational trainings and to preview new resorts. She is a destination wedding bride herself and was married in Bora Bora. Melissa launched her travel career in 2010 and today owns Modern Romance Travel.