Monastero’s Ristorante & Banquets

Chicago, IL

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Monastero's Ristorante & Banquets is a restaurant and special events center located in Chicago, Illinois. This venue is just minutes away from downtown Chicago and it is within walking distance of multiple hotels, cultural attractions and shopping opportunities. The building itself is lushly appointed, with multiple event spaces. The event spaces have flexible floor plans, which make it easy to accommodate traditional or contemporary weddings. This venue hosts ceremonies as well as receptions and can accommodate small or medium sized wedding parties.

The Botticelli Room. The Botticelli Room is a Renaissance-inspired special event space with imported Italian sconces and chandeliers. It also has a full sized replica of Botticelli's "Primavera." This space can comfortably seat up to 280 guests, with plenty of room for a dance floor and a DJ booth.

Gina's Room. Gina's Room is named after the co-owner of this venue and the champagne-colored walls have original embroidery and crocheting done by Gina and her mother. This space also has color-changing LED lights, so couples can create lighting that suits the style of their event. Gold-dipped sconces and chandeliers add an elegant flare to this space and it can accommodate up to 170 guests.

The Garden Room. The Garden Room features exposed brick walls and dozens of hanging plants that make the space into an indoor garden. It also has many skylights on the ceiling that allow natural light to flood in. This space is large enough to seat up to 100 guests.

The Rose Room. The Rose Room is an intimate space that can accommodate between 35 and 60 guests. It has large mirrors that make the space appear larger and more open. Customized wall and ceiling lighting create a warm, inviting glow.

Monastero's Ristorante & Banquets provides all food and beverage services for weddings. It is known for creating delicious Italian food using classic, Old-World recipes. Couples can communicate directly with the head chefs at this venue to create a menu that suits their unique needs. This venue can accommodate nearly any dietary restrictions, if given advanced notice.

This venue also creates customized wedding cakes. Couples can choose how large they want their cake, as well as what shape it is, what flavors it has and what decorative elements they want on top. Couples can arrange a complimentary cake tasting before making their final decisions.

Standard wedding reception packages at this venue come with four hours of open bar time and unlimited wine service, Couples can extend this time for an added fee, but extra time must be arranged in advance. Those who want to have their ceremony on-site can also arrange this in advance for an added fee. This venue has a justice of the peace available to perform the ceremony.

Monastero's Ristorante & Banquets is an elegant and versatile venue. It also provides wedding parties with a number of extra perks that can make the experience more enjoyable, including:

• Complimentary valet parking
  • Champagne toast provided
  • Ice carvings available
  • Piano on site
  • Built-in sound system

Elegance, Service, Cuisine. A Perfect Wedding Day

Monastero's offers 4 independently private dining rooms to accommodate groups of 30 to 260 guests. A level of service and elegance combined with gourmet cuisine is the recipe of success to guarantee you the perfect Wedding Reception.

Ballroom, Restaurant

3935 West Devon Avenue, Chicago, IL (773) 588-2515

Reviewed on 9/10/2015 Michael

I cannot say enough good things about Monastero's! Our wedding 5 days ago was PERFECT! Maria Monastero was so helpful and very accommodating in our planning and is SUPER ORGANIZED in helping with the planning and timetable, worked well with our photographers and DJ. The staff is... Read More all so helpful and very accommodating. The location is great, 15 mins from our ceremony. A great downtown alternative! Cake Included. Bar options! Passed hors d'oeuvres! FOOD was oh-so-good. Truly an Italian favorite! We had a tasting and Maria had taken down notes for how we liked our food selection cooked/prepared and it was done! Guests loved the food, the ambiance, everything! Held 2 other events here for a 1st communion and a lunch after funeral. within the last 3 months! Monastero's is officially the family's event space!

Monastero’s was PERFECT!

Reviewed on 10/16/2014 Kimberley G

We had our wedding reception at Monastero’s on September 27th, 2014 in the Botticelli Room. During our wedding planning, we came across Monastero’s after reading great things about the venue and its service. Our special night lived up to (and surpassed) all of our... Read More expectations! We were fortunate enough to work closely with Maria throughout the entire process. Maria was friendly, knowledgeable, and responsive. We referred to her as our little “wedding planner”, as she seemed to take care of everything for us. From suggestions on food (which was delicious), to the cake (also delicious!), to planning the logistics and timing of the night, Maria really does it all. On the night of our reception, the service staff was friendly, quick, and responsive. The head server was constantly waiting on us, telling us what to expect, and asking us how the service & food were. The food was amazing. We received nothing but compliments from our guests. The hors d'oeuvres were a huge hit, and there were enough staff members to make sure they made a few rounds to every guest. The meal was also great. As a former server for wedding receptions, I know how difficult it can be to make a meal for 150+ guests, but our meal tasted exactly like how it did during our tasting! The room was beautiful and was extremely spacious for our guest list of about 160, including a rather large photo booth in the corner. The uplighting that came with our DJ package made the room and our color scheme really pop! We were extremely lucky to find a venue like Monastero’s. Maria and the staff are so friendly and helpful that it really made planning so much easier. Couple that with the gorgeous banquet rooms, great food, and all for a very reasonable price, Monastero’s is EXCEPTIONAL!

Garden room dream wedding

Reviewed on 10/01/2013 Lindsay R

We got married on September 14th and Monastero's was he place we chose to have our reception. We used the garden room, and everything was decorated perfectly to my expectations. The service was impeccable and there was more food than anyone expected! Our guests were all giving... Read More us rave reviews and I look forward to having anniversary dinners here!

Reviewed on 1/16/2017 Lindsey M

I still cannot get over how lucky my husband and I are to have found Monastero’s for our wedding, they made our special day perfect! We found Monastero’s based on their excellent reviews and decided to check them out. We met with Maria Monastero, who is the most kind, organized... Read More and amazing person! She went above and beyond to make our wedding special and even managed to make the entire wedding planning process stress-free, which I didn’t even think was possible. Maria listened to all of our wants, needs, and ideas and turned them into reality. She also provided excellent recommendations, ultimately leading us to find our DJ and photographer/videographer. We had both our ceremony and reception in the Botticelli ballroom, and it was the most beautiful venue I could imagine. The ornate decor and gorgeous uplighting were the perfect touch and made our photos look like a fairytale! The entire Monastero’s staff was phenomenal to work with, they made the entire evening seamless and were so kind and accommodating to all of our guests. To top it all off, the food is absolutely spectacular! Both of our entrees (one fish and one vegetarian option) as well as the hor d'oeuvres and our wedding cake received rave reviews from all of our guests. It may seem like it couldn’t get any better, but having our wedding at Monastero’s was also remarkably affordable, and it was well worth every penny! I would highly recommend Monastero’s to anyone looking to have the wedding of their dreams, or to anyone looking for the most delicious Sicilian food with the best service that Chicago has to offer!

Reviewed on 1/14/2017 Caitlin C

If we could give 10 stars, we would. Choosing Monastero's for our ceremony and reception was, without a doubt, the best decision we made in our wedding planning process. From the moment we met Maria, we knew that she was going to help make our dreams come true. Maria is... Read More AMAZING. She listened to our ideas, helped us form our "wedding vision" and went above and beyond in making our wedding day (and the planning leading up to it) seamless and easy. She truly helped us answer questions we didn't even know we had. In addition to Maria's incredible help (and amazing attention to detail), everyone at Monastero's was so wonderful to work with! Martin is amazing -- he consistently went above and beyond and is so thoughtful! Our guests continue to rave about the food, drinks and cake. We honestly couldn't have been happier with how everything went. If you are in search for a great venue at a GREAT price, look no further than Monastero's. We got more than we expected -- in the best possible way! We could not have been happier with our experience with Monastero's , and will certainly be returning for dinners and special events moving forward!

Reviewed on 11/19/2016 Michelle K

Monasteros is absolutely the best place to have your wedding. We had both our ceremony and reception at their venue and it was hands down the best experience. We selected the delux suite table, and entrees. Our guests were raving about the food and desserts. Maria and Martha are... Read More an absolute pleasure to work with. They made our dream wedding come true and are ever greatful. You will not be disappointed, they are knowledable within this space and can make everything you want for your special day happen

Reviewed on 1/23/2016

Went for dinner this evening, had the Braised Short Ribs, on the special. It was so good, I choose to save some for tomorrow

Monastero's - AMAZING VENUE!

Reviewed on 1/18/2016 Jennifer F

They made my dreams come to life. My venue looked amazing. I was super pleased with everything.

Reviewed on 12/28/2015 Lauren T

We had our wedding at Monastero's Oct 2015. We cannot say enough good things about them. We were planning from a distance (I had just moved to Wisconsin) and Maria was more than accommodating and willing to meet with us on weekends when I was able to come into town. We had no... Read More idea how to plan a wedding, and she was so helpful, walking us through the entire process. Trust us, she will make it the easiest part of wedding planning! Even during the wedding reception, we had an issue come up unexpectedly (The band who played for an hour expected a meal that we didn't plan on), and she took care of everything smoothly for us. If I had to do it all over again, I would choose Monastero's again. The servers were all absolutely phenomenal (can't say enough about Martine, he takes pride in his work and is amazing and skillful at what he does). The food, cake, and dessert table was wonderful, we got so many compliments and everything was perfect! The best part is it was affordable too! We got everything we wanted for less than we expected. We will definitely use Monastero's for future events (baby shower, anyone?). They truly treat you like family, and we look forward to coming back for our anniversary dinner next year. Thanks Maria and Martine!

Beautiful Shower Venue

Reviewed on 9/17/2015 Colleen G

My mom hosted my bridal shower at our neighborhood favorite, Monastero's. The food is always delicious, and this family owned restaurant always has great service. They are true professionals at throwing a party, and they helped my mom choose the food and set up of the room.... Read More Everyone had a great time at the shower!

Reviewed on 9/08/2015 Niki I

We recently had our wedding at Monastero's and had the pleasure of working with Penny and Maria! Because of that dynamic duo, we had the most beautiful wedding.I've said it before and will say it again, on a scale of 1-10, I give them a 100!!!! They paid attention to every... Read More detail that was important to me such as the menu. I wanted so satisfy all my guests (since everybody eats differently) and wasn't sure how to do it. So we had four different choices. The Salmon ala Gina was Delicious!! My husband who is allergic to egg & dairy had prime rib. Maria and Penny even made sure he had pasta he could eat!! They helped me with the linens and lighting of the room. They even helped me with the floor plan to accommodate some tables!!! These ladies made a bride's life easy and stress free. Penny and Maria were not putting pressure on me either to make quick decisions on my vision or the menu. Monastero's was so flexible with my needs. All of my guests enjoyed themselves and the food. We are still getting compliments on how beautiful the wedding was, and how awesome the service was throughout the entire wedding! After a years worth of planning all I could do was hug them and just can't thank them all enough! We will definitely go back to Monastero's for all our occasions, and even just for dinner to see our favorite servers. A+ in our book!

Absolutely perfect!

Reviewed on 7/15/2015 Stephanie U

When it came to looking at reception venues, I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted but I knew I didn't want to have my reception in a banquet hall. I was a bit skeptical when my mom asked to look at Monasteros and told me while the reception would be in a banquet hall, we would be... Read More right next to the restaurant. But once I saw the room and met Maria, I knew we made the right choice. Maria and her staff were wonderful. She gave great suggestions on the different vendors and I think we used almost every vendor she recommended. She made the reception flow flawlessly and since the room was next to the restaurant, the food was great! People are still talking about the food and the reception. This place is one of the best kept wedding venues secrets in Chicago. You pay one cost for each guest and it covers their food, the cake, and the liquor which is fairly reasonable. Our room was not attached to the other reception rooms so you didn't even get the banquet hall feeling. Absolutely perfect! What you pay and get at Monasteros, you pay twice as much eleswhere. Look at Monasteros even if you aren't sure about banquet halls, you will not regret it!

Monastero’s was PERFECT!

Reviewed on 10/16/2014 Kimberley G

Great place, great food, great service

Reviewed on 7/18/2013 Sue F

excellent service, seamless, food was wonderful and the price was right for our moderate sized luncheon reception

PERFECTION!

Reviewed on 7/02/2013 Steve S

Beautiful room, delicious food, and a friendly and attentive staff. Our day couldn't have possibly gone better. Our guests were so impressed, and had such a great time. In business for over 50 years, they have this down to a science. No venue could have matched the value. THE... Read More BEST!!

A great alternative to a downtown location!

Reviewed on 11/01/2012 Shannon M

My husband and I just had our wedding reception at Monastero's in September. Maria and her team of people couldn't have been more amazing and accommodating to our requests and last minute needs. The two things about the venue our guests kept talking about were the pasta course... Read More and the cake. We had multiple people come up to my parents and ask where the cake was from - my mom quickly said, 'from here'. Our wedding was in 'The Botticelli Room' as there is an available room for cocktail hour prior to dinner. Even though the place may have older decor/ feeling than other wedding venues it comes with a lot of charm, well kept up, parking lot for guests who don't want to take the wedding shuttle, good customer service, and amazing food (kitchen is very clean - we walked through it during one of our visits). Even up to the day of the event there were no hidden costs or surprises, it was all very clearly laid out in the contract. For me one of the great unexpected perks was how Maria in some aspects became my wedding planner (heck, her wedding day outfit was our clothes). Maria has a wealth of contacts within the industry and she has no problem giving you their names or even doing the work for you. She helped coordinate all the linens, lightening (brings a completely different element to the room), and made sure everything was set up the day of (even working with our band the day of), all I had to do was bring the stuff the day before. She also provided names for photography, flowers, and lodging which I all ended up using (I did my homework and looked at other vendors but always came back to her selections). We would definitely recommend to other couples and if we had to do everything all over again - we would definitely pick Monastero's.

Wedding

Reviewed on 9/28/2012 MELINDA T

Wonderful place for a wedding!! The ladies there are very nice, and helpful. The staff is also great. Great food!!

Just brilliant!

Reviewed on 7/10/2012 Christine P

We had our wedding & reception at Monastero's a couple of weeks ago. My husband came across this place during our planning, and we never looked back. The restaurant is family owned, and everyone was super helpful. We dined here before we booked our contract, and the food,... Read More atmosphere, and staff were all incredibly helpful. During the planning process, Maria was super helpful and answered all of our questions. We were able to have the ceremony and reception in different rooms, and everything turned out just fabulous. Monastero's was very flexible with respect to getting things set up, courteous to our other vendors that day, and just plain nice people. Our reception was originally scheduled to be in Gina's room, but we were bumped up to the Botticelli room due to a conflict - the bigger room fit our ~120 guests very comfortably, and the atmosphere led to most of our guests letting us know that this was the most fun they've ever had at a wedding. Thanks, Monastero's!

June 17th 2012

Reviewed on 6/25/2012 sarah

Well let me tell you all the wedding has been over for a week and I am STILL receiving compliments. People told my parents this was the best wedding they had been to in a while. People were asking me if they did other types of parties (THEY DO!) and to give them info on the... Read More venue because they just loved it all! The food was great service was great and Maria the owner and my coordinator was AMAZING!! She is one of the most genuinely nicest people I have had the honor of meeting. She honestly made everything LESS stressful. Everything went so smoothly. Roberto Monastero did our music and had all the guests dancing. He got people on the dance floor that NEVER dance. We would not have changed a thing. We had our ceremony and reception in the garden room and it was so beautiful. The prices were amazing too! They even did our cake which was a to die for tiramissou that had people asking where we had it made. )Made in house!) Could not have chosen a better place. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

There is no better!

Reviewed on 5/07/2012 Kristin W

Pure and simple, Monastero's is the reason why our reception was beautiful, enjoyable and full of memories we will keep forever. From start to finish, my now husband and I felt supported, encouraged and never pressured. We researched over 100 venues and chose Monastero's after... Read More meeting Penny, Martha and Maria. We knew we would be taken care of - and we were. Monastero's worked with our budget and didn't push us into going over. In fact, they bent over backwards to make our day extra special. Even during planning meetings we were given the utmost hospitality. More than a beautiful setting, Monastero's food is amazing - all homemade and done with excellence. They matched my cake ideas to perfection. When we arrived for the reception all we had to do was enjoy the night. The Monastero family did all of the hard work to setup and take down. The only thing we would change is to have the reception last an hour longer because everyone had so much fun. Our guests loved the venue, had a blast and keep commenting on how beautiful the location was and how great the food tasted. The open bar was a big hit as well. You will enjoy planning and the week of your wedding if you work with Monastero's. If you go, tell Penny you saw this review on the Knot. Chances are they will make you an even better deal on your big day!

December 30th, 2011

Reviewed on 1/17/2012 Olivia B

I had my Wedding at Monastero's & I couldn't ask for more! it was simply amazing, I was amazed when I saw the banquet when I arrived on my wedding day!!

Classy and beautiful

Reviewed on 12/21/2011 Alexandra

Monastero's is the best!!! The staff is so helpful and personable. Maria and Penny will help you with your every need. If you are looking for a classic beautiful wedding venue this is it. Also, of course, the food is amazing!!! You can pick from a variety of dinner menu... Read More options that will fit a range of wedding budgets. Food, serves, and setting are just great...what more could you ask for in a wedding venue/caterer!

Couldn't have imagined anything better

Reviewed on 11/18/2011 Jennifer S

Monastero's got our attention because it was an affordable option in the city. They got our business becuase they were amazning to work with right from the start. Maria helped us find a customized option that worked for our budget and worked with us every step of the way. I... Read More feel she knew just when to give a tip or advice and when to let the bride go with her dream. The staff is always friendly here when you come for dinner and their banquet staff is the same. Things went so smoothly we din't have to think about it or worry about any of the details. I knew that thigns were being taken care of just as we asked. That includes the day of but also the planning up until the big day. They are organized and good at the details. Maria has been doing this for long enough to know what she is doing and what pitfalls to avoid. But she is young and fun and great to work with too! The cake comes with the dinner price and tasted amazing! We got lots of compliments. The best part is my husband and I ate the top of the cake because we plan on coming back for dinner and having a fresh anniversary cake instead eating something frozen for a year! I would recommend this space to anyone who is looking for a traditional styled room and help with all the details that you have to think of when planning the reception.

reception

Reviewed on 10/29/2011 marian p

Penny was our wedding coordinator. She was really nice. It was such a perfect recpetion especially for our theme. We used the Garden Room. They put together all the decorations perfectly and the food was great. Definitely will recommend to somebody else!

Overall, had a great time

Reviewed on 6/21/2011 Daphnee P

Overall, had a great time. Peggy was fantastic, it was like working with my mom, very helpful and accommodating.