Oak Ridge at Forest Park

Woodhaven, NY

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Oak Ridge at Forest Park in Woodhaven, New York City, is ideal for couples who are searching for a local venue that offers the beauty of nature. Sitting on top of Harbor Hill Moraine, the venue is situated in a grove surrounded by red and black oak trees. The space is located in the southwest corner of Forest Park and provides beautiful views of Jamaica Plains and Queens.

Oak Ridge in Forest Park includes an enclosed two-story pavilion that was built in 1905, allowing for both indoor and outdoor celebrations. Parties may rent either one or both floors, and a maximum of 120 guests are allowed in the building at any given time.

The Trophy Room on the lower level of the pavilion contains large twin fireplaces—one on either side of the room—and multiple dark wood accents with lighter hardwood floors. French doors open onto either side of the veranda and patio. The room can comfortably accommodate up to 70 guests.

The Banquet Room on the top level of the pavilion also has hardwood floors but fewer wood features. Large multi-paned windows allow plenty of natural light and give guests the opportunity to enjoy the view from inside. This room can host a maximum of 120 guests.

Oak Ridge can be rented in seven-hour blocks to include setup and cleanup time. The property can be booked as early as 10 a.m., but all celebrations should end before midnight. The venue provides various sizes of round tables—from 30 to 60 inches—and has black metal chairs or wood garden chairs available. Coat racks are available for guests and 30-gallon trash cans are included as well.

Catering is not provided by the venue but couples are limited to Oak Ridge’s exclusive caterer list. The use of one of these caterers is required as the venue believes they are uniquely qualified to handle catered events at their facility. These caterers will either provide or rent all linens and necessary tableware. Oak Ridge is happy to accept off-list vendors for all other wedding needs.

Weddings at Oak Ridge can be booked all year long. For outdoor ceremonies, the pavilion is available as a backup. The pavilion can be both heated and air conditioned so couples can celebrate their wedding knowing their guests will be comfortable no matter what the weather has in store. The paths and walkways around the property are maintained and regularly cleared of snow during the winter months. The golf course across the street provides limited free parking so alternative arrangements should be made depending on guest count.

The following items are prohibited:

• Helium balloons
  • Rose petals
  • Rice
  • Confetti
  • Candles

Oak Ridge at Forest Park is an excellent location for accessing nature amidst the bustle of New York City. The venue offers a few extra perks to help make your wedding day special:

• All windows can be opened to allow for fresh air
  • Bay windows with bench seating
  • Bridal suite with ample seating
  • Access to 538-acre Forest Park

Historic House on the Hill

Standing in a grove of red and black oaks, Oak Ridge is located on the crest of the Harbor Hill Moraine (a mass of rock formed by glacial movement) at the southwestern corner of Forest Park, overlooking Jamaica Plains.

Country Club, Historic Venue, Park

Rentals + Equipment, Service Staff

One Forest Park , Woodhaven, NY (718) 235-4100

Reviewed on 8/12/2016

My fiance and I spend most of our weekends in Forest Park. We immediately knew that Oak Ridge was where we wanted to spend our wedding day. Now that we have set a date and met with Nicole, we are even more sure that Oak Ridge will be perfect. I met Nicole yesterday and she is... Read More absolutely amazing! She was so attentive, answered all my questions, and has already given me some great pointers as I plan my wedding at Oak Ridge. Can't wait!

Vintage NYC in Queens

Reviewed on 5/22/2014 Genevieve M

I came across Oak Ridge from being a wedding photographer many years back, and I knew it was the place I wanted to have my wedding at. Although it was a bit difficult to find any info on this venue, they've been renting this beautiful, very elegant historic house for many years,... Read More and I'm so glad I did! Being a NYC Parks property, there were many rules - mostly very strictly enforced - but Nicole Gamory was such a pleasure to work with. The venue has two floors, and they give you the flexibility of renting one or both floors, which we did since our wedding is in April and were afraid of the changing weather. They have amazing views of the park and had just recently added a bridal suite (for an additional fee). Our overall experience with Oak Ridge was great, but I'm giving the venue 1 less star for the limited time they allow to have access to the venue, as they allow 7 hours in total for an event (including setup and cleanup), so the actual wedding only lasted 5 hours. We could've used an extra hour or two to decorate and have everything settled before guests started walking in. Also, the bridal suite should've been included in the rental fee (especially because we rented both floors), which they offered a 3 or 6-hr option. We chose the 3-hr option as we didn't anticipate spending a lot of time in the suite and we are already past our budget, so we had to vacate the room midway thru our event, which was a bit stressful, but we made it work. Another issue we had in the beginning was finding a caterer within their recommended caterers, within our vision and budget. I won't elaborate on my caterer, Prima Donna Catering Service, on this review which wasn't such a great experience (and please do a search and read up on). Onto the positives, they only required a small deposit to secure our date. The balance, along with the refundable security deposit (and other rentals, if any) were due a few weeks before the event. They were also able to finish the bridal suite in time for our wedding. Another plus is that the tables and chairs are included in our rental fee, and they only required from us to provide a floor plan ahead of time as they set it up before the event. In retrospect, Oak Ridge is a beautiful, affordable alternative venue for a budget NYC wedding. I adore Nicole Gamory, her staff and their professionalism. I recommend this venue with a caveat on their policies, and understand that it's because the house is a historic site and a NYC Park facility, but would definitely consider this venue again in the future.