Old Wide Awake Plantation

Planning, Service Staff

Cf805d40 a376 487a b64d 0a02ca20f736~rs 100

5149 Trexler Avenue, Hollywood, SC (843) 814-4980

Reviewed on 12/22/2017 Julie B

We got married here on 12/9/17 and Old Wide Awake is truly breathtaking.! We fell in love with the venue when we first toured it and got a chance to tour it a second time after booking our date during the Wedding Revolution tour and knew then we had made the right decision! The... Read More pictures don’t do it any justice. The house is beautiful in and out! It was a pleasure working with you Margaret. Thank you for everything!

Reviewed on 11/20/2017 ray m

From This Day Forward Wedding Services had the distinct honor to be floral designer, day of coordinator and officiant for the Mallory DeWitt/Hunter Ginn wedding that took place at Old Wide Awake Plantation. What an absolutely beautiful venue for a wedding and reception! The... Read More plantation house is lovely and has magnificent wrap around porches. The tree lined drive makes for beautiful isle way lending itself to a rather dramatic entry of the bride and wedding party. The patio area adjacent to the house is the perfect space for the reception to dance the night away under the stars. The venue is full of Southern charm and has all the amenities for the perfect outdoor wedding/reception. The staff, Margaret, Dennis, John and Rob are extremely accommodating and want to make certain that bride and groom have the wedding of their dreams! We can not thank them enough for working with us to ensure Mallory and Hunter's day was perfect! We HIGHLY recommend this venue to any bride seeking a traditionally southern style wedding! You won't be disappointed! It is beautiful!

Reviewed on 11/15/2017 Carter Ann C

I just can't say enough about Old Wide Awake Plantation. Margaret McKenzie and her assistant, Kira, elevated our wedding as a "Welcome to Charleston" experience for our whole family!!! We were married there on October 28, 2017. My husband noticed OWA mentioned in a Reese... Read More Witherspoon article years ago! We joked about getting married there. Except, I could never stop looking up pictures and dreaming of getting married there!! When we visited, we both immediately knew it was everything we'd imagined. My only concern from the beginning was that the location is a bit far out from proper Charleston. That was easily solved with booking a guest bus from the hotels, making the party safer for everyone anyway. Plus, it's more fun to have a private location to yourself, and not have to share the property with other weddings. My bridesmaids, mothers, sisters, etc. all spent the morning and afternoon with me getting ready at OWA, having lunch and drinking coffee and mimosas. It was exactly what I pictured. All in all, I can't recommend Old Wide Awake enough!!! Book OWA and rest easy: your wedding WILL be incredible! PS The pricing is very reasonable. If you can AT ALL afford to add Margaret McKenzie as your full wedding planner.... just trust me. You NEED her.

Reviewed on 4/30/2017 Kelley B

We got married at Old Wide Awake on 4/15/17 and it was everything we have ever dreamed of - it was PERFECT! We also rented out Old Wide Awake Park and had both the ceremony and the cocktail hour there. The beautiful tree covered in Spanish Moss was the perfect ceremony... Read More location, as it was a little cooler by the water - and then the guests were shaded from the tree as well. They watched dolphins and boats go by as they waited for the ceremony to begin. Margaret is a MUST if you do get married at Old Wide Awake Plantation -- she will ensure every detail is perfect before the wedding even begins, and then ensure it is all executed day of. She is a professional, and truly an expert at both Old Wide Awake Park and Old Wide Awake Plantation!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Katie B

This was the perfect place to host our wedding reception on June 11, 2016! In the search for our venue, I found this to be the best choice for a several reasons: 1. It's a gorgeous plantation house with wrap around porches, a large patio, a neat bar area, and a quaint bridal... Read More suite at a reasonable price. 2. The rental lasted all day (most places make you pay a ridiculous price for only a few hours of the venue). 3. They were the most flexible (you can have any food/drink/cake/music/rental/photographer/etc. vendor you want--which is hard to find in Charleston). 4. Their day of coordinator, Margaret McKenzie, was a HUGE help with planning and executing our vision on our big day (definitely worth the cost--see below). Margaret and I communicated frequently throughout the engagement and met up a few times to discuss my progress. After our first meeting, she put together a list of suggested vendors based on the vision I had. She was always responsive and answered all of my questions in a timely manner throughout the whole process. She would often check in on me for updates on who my vendors were, what my vision/layout was, and day-of timeline ideas. Closer to June 11, she helped me solidify my timeline and included all of the special moments, and even the times that my vendors were supposed to arrive. The day of, Margaret and her assistant set up all of the decorations we brought while my party ate breakfast, relaxed, and started hair and makeup. Throughout the day she handed out tips and was the first point of contact for any vendor/guest questions. The best part about Margaret's services was that we didn't have to lift a finger the entire day! Everything was taken care of so that my family, friends, and I were all able to just relax and enjoy the day! And with the combination of me being so organized and on top of things throughout the engagement and for the day of, and Margaret's understanding of my vision and her professionalism and experience, my day was absolutely perfect. NOTHING went wrong all day! The only minor thing was that we got off schedule by 15-30 minutes (no big deal). She asked all of my vendors if they would be willing to stick around for extra time at no extra charge (and they all said yes)! And at the end of the evening, she had all of our decorations neatly organized for my mom and sister to put in the car (which I heard only took about 15 minutes)! For the most important day of our life, I could not have trusted it with better people. Thank you so much for all you did for us and for making a supposed-to-be-stressful day, totally stress free!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Cheryl H

I can't say enough great things about Old Wide Awake and Margaret McKenzie!!! My daughters wedding was Oct 15, 2016 approximately 1 week after Hurricane Matthew decided to make landfall near Charleston, SC. Margaret worked valiently to make all my daughters dreams come true... Read More for her special day from getting electricity back to the house and park, cleaning up the grounds and working with all our venders. We are so grateful to Margaret and her entire team. Old Wide Awake was the perfect backdrop for my daughters vision of Southern Elegance.

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Kristen R

Old Wide Awake plantation is the PERFECT wedding venue for Charleston in every way. If you are looking for a plantation outside downtown that is beautiful, charming, near the water, and within your budget-- look no further. This venue is amazing. I first found OWA online... Read More while researching venues and I was immediately struck by the beautiful photos. When I visited Charleston to view all the venues I had found online, I was disappointed because online photos were not matching the real thing. Not true with OWA!! I knew from the moment we pulled up in the drive that was where I wanted to get married. Something about the pond with the running fountain and the wide southern porches won me over. After touring the plantation and visiting the park down by the water, we worked directly with OWA's coordinator, Margaret McKenzie to book our wedding date. And let me say a little something about Margaret- I don't even know how girls get married at OWA without booking her services as well. She helped me plan my wedding down to the very last detail- I owe her so much! She is a wonderful lady and so very sweet- you will end up loving her as a person, much less as a coordinator! Both my ceremony and reception were held at OWA, with the ceremony happening out on the lawn in front of the pond. We had a big band out on the patio with a tent to provide shade. Our initial guest number invited was 200 people, but since almost every guest was coming from out of town our final count was around 140-150. During the reception I had so many guests telling me how the setting was so beautiful and how much fun they were having. I loved seeing all our pictures of guests either out in the lawn playing corn-hole, or sitting on the porch overlooking the party, or at a cocktail table underneath the house by the built in bar, or dancing the night away. Old Wide Awake will forever be a special place to my husband and I, we loved it!

Reviewed on 10/01/2016 Holly S

What a wonderful, wonderful wedding we had for my daughter and her husband last Saturday at Old Wide Awake Plantation. OWA is a quintessential plantation that has been lovingly restored. The wrap around porches and travertine patio, the ivy draped staircase and sweet pond, the... Read More tree framed driveway and pub like bar…all add up to a very special wedding location. But the real magic starts when you add the amazing talents and kindness of Margaret McKenzie. From the moment we started the wedding process…almost 13 months prior…until the day after our wedding, Margaret made everything click. She was there through the planning process with the caterer, florist, band, rentals, photographer and transportation. She helped in the design process, making suggestions that enhanced our vision. The week before my daughter’s wedding she distributed a timeline and set up schedule to all of our vendors. When the bride, bridesmaids, MOB and MOG arrived Saturday morning she greeted us with confidence and warmth. As the MOB, I didn’t lift a finger on wedding day. Margaret took care of everything. She was our "most valuable player”. I would highly encourage anyone to engage Margaret’s services when booking the OWA. Honestly, looking back I wouldn’t change a moment. Thank you OWA and Margaret Mckenzie!

Reviewed on 6/02/2016

Was an excellent venue! Extremely private and intimate. We had a small ceremony and reception for our close friends and family and it was brilliant. My wife and I along with our wedding party were able to use the house all morning and early afternoon to set up and get ready,... Read More which took a lot of pressure away from us. Margaret was always friendly and very helpful in all aspects, even turning the water fountain on in the background of our ceremony site, when it was time to "kiss the bride" We had a great time and would highly recommend using this venue for large and small weddings, the size of the venue could accommodate both. Thanks again! Rob and Jessi Drayton

Reviewed on 4/28/2016 HRosalyn N

We are newly weds and Old Wide Awake was just the perfect backdrop for our wedding! All of our guests are still raving about how beautiful everything was!

Reviewed on 4/19/2016 Kim S

This is a spectacular venue. I was really drawn in with the availability of the house/land for the entire day and evening. It was fantastic to have everything in one location. The grounds are so beautiful and accommodating. I'm really glad we used this space on our wedding day.

Reviewed on 1/28/2016 Jen R

Magical. That's the best word I can find to describe our entire wedding experience at Old Wide Awake. It's a day we'll cherish forever, in part because the venue was so beautiful and our guest were in awe of the grounds. And also in large part because Margaret McKenzie is... Read More incredible. She went over and above for us from the moment we first reached out to her, and my husband and I will be forever grateful for her role in making our special day so perfect. Almost a year later, we routinely have friends and family make a point to tell us how it was one of the best, if not the best, wedding they've ever been to. Thank you Old Wide Awake and THANK YOU Margaret!

Reviewed on 11/23/2015 Amanda H

This venue was everything we wanted and more! Our wedding turned out perfectly thanks to Margaret. She was so helpful with everything and was truly worth every penny. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Reviewed on 11/22/2015 Sarah H

My husband and I live in Charlotte, but since we got engaged in Charleston, we decided it would be a great idea to get married in this wonderful city. We looked at several different venues, but Old Wide Awake Plantation was hands down the best place for us. It's a beautiful... Read More plantation house with all of the southern charm you could ask for. It's also one of the only places that allows you to have outside catering and bar services as well as the entire venue for the day. Margaret is amazing and was a huge help making sure everything ran smoothly. I highly recommend you hire her as your coordinator since she knows the house inside and out and will help you select your vendors. She also makes you feel like you are the most important person in the world on one of the the one of the most important and special days of your life. I can't say enough great things about how perfect our wedding was and we want to thank Old Wide Awake Plantation and Margaret for everything!

Reviewed on 11/02/2015 Melanie H

This venue was perfect! We had the entire house to our wedding party the whole day, the venue is absolutely gorgeous, and Margaret McKenzie (she runs the venue) was fantastic. We loved the flexibility of choosing all of our vendors, and we also loved the exclusive feeling of... Read More being outside of town. Not to mention the grounds and house were impeccable. I would highly recommend this venue!!!

Beautiful but rushed

Reviewed on 7/27/2015 Robyn Reatha P

I loved this venue. There's plenty of space and we were able to move our reception under the porch easily when it started to rain and there was still room to continue dancing. We did have to be done by 10 making an evening wedding feel rushed and then manager began moving our... Read More stuff out on the porch because we weren't moving fast enough getting everything out.

Reviewed on 7/01/2015 Emilee B

Old Wide Awake Plantation was the absolute perfect wedding venue. The house has been beautifully restored and the grounds are wonderful. We looked at many, many venues in Charleston & as soon as we arrived here, we had that WOW moment and knew it was the one. It was so nice to... Read More have the house for the entire day. We had so much fun getting ready in the bridal suite & it was nice to use the formal dining room for our cake cutting. We wouldn't of had the perfect day if it wasn't for Margaret - she is exceptional. She made sure every little detail was perfect & we didn't have to worry about a thing. I will cherish the plantation & Margaret for the rest of my life. We truly had a perfect, fairytale like wedding!

Margaret Mckenzie

Reviewed on 10/10/2014 joe m

Absolutely beautiful venue for a wedding. Arriving at The Old Wide Awake was a ‘WOW MOMEMT’. We had cocktails on the veranda and reception under a tent next to the main building. It was wonderful Margaret McKenzie was our wedding planner and helped make this the wonderful... Read More day that it was. Margaret was amazing. Our daughter was having a destination wedding in Charleston. We are in Chicago. We decided that we needed someone familiar with the local vendors. We met Margaret when we decided on The Old Wide Awake. Throughout the entire planning process she was always there offering advice and being our local rep. On the wedding weekend she seemed to be everywhere. Any number of times when I tried to do something, she would stop me and say 'You go enjoy your guests, this is my job.' She coordinated the buses, talked with the vendors and oversaw the entire process. Margaret made sure that everything was done right. Margaret, we cannot thank you enough.

Old Wide Awake Plantation was perfect

Reviewed on 9/23/2013 Kari C

Old Wide Awake Plantation was the perfect venue for our wedding. I also hired Margaret McKenzie for my day of services and that was the best money spent! She kept me sane!! Old Wide Awake is such a beautiful place to have a wedding and I am so glad we chose them for our... Read More venue.

June Wedding

Reviewed on 8/01/2013 Kara S

The most perfect Charleston plantation location! Beautiful location, quiet and secluded area of Charleston, grounds in wonderful condition, very helpful/friendly staff, and plenty of parking! It is nice to find a place you can pick your own caterer and bartender. Saves you tons... Read More of money!! The wedding coordinator there, Margaret...the best part of this whole venue! She was AMAZING...couldn't have had my wedding go so smoothly without her!! Priceless!!

Tremendous Venue - Amazing Coordinator

Reviewed on 6/18/2013 Melati C

Old Wide Awake is q gorgeous and incredibly warm and inviting venue. It has several different areas for staging and guest preferences and can host a large party. We have 105 guests and had a seated dinner on the porch (13 tables), a cocktail hour downstairs in the "man cave" -... Read More which has a giant built-in bar and also utilized the upstairs spending the day getting ready and getting mimosas. The best part of Old Wide Awake, IMO, was Margaret McKenzie. She is the manager of the property and also offers out her services for the day-of coordination. I am an out-of-town bride and will say HANDS DOWN this was THE BEST money I spent over the wedding planning period. She was direct, collaborative, supportive of my vision...etc. For a living I work on major campaigns and launches so I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to these things - I could not have asked for a better partner!!! 6/1/13 Wedding

Beautiful venue, poor customer service

Reviewed on 5/03/2013 Ashley B

I had my wedding at the gorgeous venue. I highly recommend the place if you are ok with dealing with poor customer service. The ltd. wedding coordinator showed up late to every scheduled meeting (Margaret Mackenzie). The owers are extremely rude. They let their dogs run free... Read More while we were setting up the day of our wedding and almost knocked our cake over. The owner didn't even apologize.

Good and perfect for us

Reviewed on 7/15/2012 Heather R

We used Old Wide Awake Plantation for our Reception and it turned out absolutely beautiful!!! I couldn't have asked for a more perfect setting for the price we paid. Since we signed our contract (Fall 2011) they have added a coordinator and I think that has solved the problem of... Read More communication and responsiveness. They were very accommodating by allowing us to start setting-up Friday and finish cleaning up Sunday. I would most certainly recommend this plantation for your wedding venue. We used Wide Awake Park (at the end of the road) for our ceremony and with the Stono River in the background it was breathtaking. ** For value rating: since we booked it they have increased their pricing by A LOT

Perfect location

Reviewed on 6/15/2012 Kristi K

Old Wide Awake has to be one of Charleston's best kept secrets. It's a stunning location tucked away on a little dirt road. We wanted the feel of a backyard, country wedding and as soon as we saw Old Wide Awake, we knew it was the place! The house is gorgeous and you have full... Read More use of it for the day. The grounds are beautiful with a lovely pond and plenty of yard space. All of our guests raved about how beautiful the plantation was. Margaret was our day-of wedding coordinator and she was FANTASTIC. She met with us before the wedding to get our vision for the day and how our day was supposed to go and then she made it all happen. Not a single thing went wrong and I know it's because Margaret had it all under control. Old Wide Awake is so beautiful that we barely had to decorate. I highly recommend it!

Amazing Venue! Elegant with Southern Charm!

Reviewed on 5/06/2012 Allie M

Words can't express what a perfect day my husband and I had. Our reception at Old Wide Awake in Hollywood SC will be talked about for years to come. Margaret the event coordinator was amazing. She took my vision and turned it into a reality. Every detail was taken care of... Read More and my guests felt right at home. If you want elegant with southern charm Old Wide Awake is the place to have your wedding and Margaret is the lady you want running the show.