Oviatt Penthouse

Los Angeles, CA

Dine and Dance Under the Iconic L.A. Skyline

"A Castle in the Air", the Oviatt Penthouse was the site of legendary parties for decades and a cultural monument listed in the National Register. The Oviatt has been restored to its opulent splendor and continues its tradition of hospitality and glamour as an exclusive dining and reception venue.

$$$

Guest Capacity

Ballroom, Museum, Historic Venue, Rooftop, Tented

Food + Catering

617 S. Olive St., Los Angeles, CA

Awesome art deco wedding!

Reviewed on 6/25/2013 Mischelle V

We specifically picked the Oviatt because of its beautiful art deco architecture and its awesome location on a rooftop in Downtown LA. It was everything we could have hoped for - nothing we worried might go wrong actually did. The food was good, drinks and dessert were amazing. The staff was excellent - they're there when you need them and they disappear like ninjas when you don't. You can go late into the night here without noise concerns because it's in an area dominated by commercial buildings, not residences, and it's 13 stories up. It's rumored to be haunted but no ghosts showed up to our wedding. Probably good because we may have gone over the strict 120 person maximum capacity. And they're serious about that, too. A fire marshal hangs out all night to make sure you follow all the capacity rules. You'll barely notice him though, and he's nice. Also, he doesn't count as a guest, so don't worry :) Because they do all the catering and cooking on site (since the Oviatt is owned by Truly Yours catering), and they provide all the lighting, tables, chairs, linens, etc, it's a pretty all-inclusive deal. The scenery is perfect, no need to go overboard with a florist. The only real vendors you'll need are photographers and a DJ.

Magical venue with historic charm

Reviewed on 10/16/2012 Stacey L

Our wedding was at this gorgeous historic venue, one of the first art deco buildings in L.A. Most couples have their ceremony outdoors, then guests go indoors for a cocktail hour, during which time the outdoor space is "flipped" into reception/dinner seating. Both the in and outdoor spaces are very different - you just have to see it to understand. It's like a museum inside and needs very little decor. Outside it becomes a magical mix of urban city chic and Old Hollywood glamour, depending on time of day, what decor theme/colors you use. Once you do research and learn the Oviatt comes with everything you need, it is a terrific value as well (no "rental" vendors, yay)! There are a lot of "rules" about what you can and cannot use, what times you can get there (only 2 hrs. pre-ceremony), but some leniency should be granted here b/c the indoor area is truly like a museum with rare collectibles! Both our out-of-town and in-town guests were wowed with the space. Everything looked beautiful prior to the cocktail hour, but once the sun set, it was simply MAGICAL! Several other guests used this word as well. As for the staff, their attention to detail on our wedding night had me writing this vendor review in my head as the actual reception was taking place (no kidding!), and the word "remarkable" came to mind several times. Literally, each time we got up to dance or visit with guests, our napkins were neatly folded again when we got back, and not once did our glasses run empty in between wine or champagne pours. I seriously do not think the service could have been any more outstanding! Rob, the servers, and the other staff had been such a pleasure to work with at another wedding I had coordinated here, and I was just as pleased when it came to our own! Roxy Adlesh the co-owner with her husband Chris (of Truly Yours Catering) is a godsend, walks you through everything you need to know, and seemed genuinely excited throughout our wedding planning process.

BOOK IT - YOU WON'T REGRET IT

Reviewed on 9/27/2012 Kathryn K

This is a dynamic team for any event! Especially, a WEDDING! The lessees of the property are a married couple - Mr. & Mrs. Adlesh. The Adleshes are also the owners of Truly Yours Catering, which is the catering service provided by the Oviatt. Truly Yours Catering has a 26 PAGE MENU of mouthwatering offerings, which is possibly why they cater for the Emmys and other elite Hollywood events. Roxy Adlesh is a total gem! She makes you feel at ease during such a stressful time. Her positive personality, supportive nature, and years of experience make planning/booking/organizing your event a piece of cake. She even does photography in addition to it all! Chris Adlesh is a complete sweetheart who creates masterpieces in the kitchen! I went in for a tasting and fell in love with their food, presentation, and style! Each dish is a unique and flavorful twist of something familiar. Chris really takes pride in his dishes and cares about each detail of each dish he sends out. The crew is so nice and friendly and attentive! No guest goes unnoticed, hungry, or thirsty! Book the Oviatt - This venue is spectacular! I went on and on about the food and service, I forgot to mention HOW BEAUTIFUL, INTERESTING, AND FUN this venue is! If you think that the pictures are impressive, you have to see it in person to get the true experience of this historic landmark!

Reviewed on 6/02/2015

The Oviatt Penthouse was a wonderful place to get married. The moment we walked away from the tour we knew we wanted to chose it for our wedding due to its uniqueness and intimacy. The venue coordinator was great, she was quick to answer any questions we had throughout our wedding planning process. The food (vegan & vegetarian-loved that they could work with us to create a great veg menu!) was wonderful, and the guests were talking about the dishes the next day. But most important, it truly is a magical place under the stars and skyline of Los Angeles. People were able to dance on the dance floor, explore the penthouse, or hang out on the top deck all throughout the night up until 1 am. And most people stayed that late, which is a testament to how much fun they were having. I highly recommend you consider this for your wedding!

Reviewed on 5/27/2015 Emily K

I attended the Oviatt Penthouse as a guest for a wedding. It's a pretty cool location in Downtown Los Angeles. It's at the top of the building and there are great views of DTLA from there. There ceremony and reception is in the same place. Once the ceremony is complete, the guest move into the penthouse until the chairs and tables are set up where the ceremony was. Both the ceremony and reception are outdoors, but they had heat lamps during the reception to keep guests warm. It was a cold night so the heat lamps helped a little, except if you're directly under the heat lamp then it was too hot. And, if you were away from the heat lamp, you couldn't feel its heat. The food that was served at the Oviatt wasn't that good. It was mass produced food so you wouldn't expect much. Dispite the food being served buffet style, much of it was cold and inedible. The bathrooms were two floors down from where the main event was held. You had the whole top floor for the ceremony but everyone was spread out in the bedroom, the living room, the bathroom, the bar area, and the reception area so you didn't have people together. It's a nice place, and it's pretty though. Also, I don't think there is parking for this place, but we parked nearby in a paid lot. There are plenty of parking options for The Oviatt Penthouse.

Book and hope it doesn't rain

Reviewed on 2/10/2015 Lily Y

Our January 10 wedding was rained out. Everyone was forced to stay inside, where it was mostly standing room only (~90 guests). Each event in our schedule was either revised or canceled, and needless to say, it was disappointing to not have a skyline wedding that we envisioned. I can't blame the Oviatt for rain. I blame myself for not getting requesting the tent 3-4 days before the wedding. Nicole's timeline, sent 10 days before our wedding, stated "Set-up Notes: **No Rain** - No Tent - Require 72 hours notice to get this ordered and set-up." At the time I reviewed it, I wrongly interpreted that to mean that the Oviatt was not predicting rain, but someone was going to get this ordered and set up should it become a real possibility. Nope, brides - it's your responsibility to predict the weather. I had neurotically been checking the weather the week before and had only seen one forecast that predicted a 20% chance of a.m. showers for Saturday and none predicted evening showers. Most had showers predicted for Sunday, not Saturday. On January 5, I emailed Nicole asking about whether I should bring blankets for guests. I was mostly concerned about possible cold weather, and in my experience with California drought, naively didn't think it would actually rain. When I mentioned to Nicole that one forecast predicted rain, it would have been nice if she reminded me that tenting was my responsibility and required 3-4 days notice. It's indeed in the contract and vaguely in the timeline (see above), but in between making sure our rose petals were fake and that our vendors were paid, the tenting deadline wasn't as prominent on my radar as it should have been. By the time Saturday came around and it was raining, our day of coordinator asked Nicole if anything could be done. Since it was the day of, we were told nothing could be done and all events had to be moved inside. Maybe because of the rain, our food wasn't as good as I expected. Our rice was undercooked (which saddens me, because even I know how to cook rice), and our meal was dry. It certainly didn't taste like it did on our tasting. We did get compliments on the hor d'oeuvres, though. We brought our own alcohol to the event and specifically included some Boulevard beers for my sister's family, who loves that craft brew. The Oviatt staff bartender apparently told her that we did not have Boulevard. At the end of the night, we had leftover alcohol, including packs of Boulevard. To end on positive notes, the Oviatt staff quickly set up umbrellas outside that allowed guests to stand and watch our outdoor ceremony. I am fortunate to have amazing friends and family who know how to have a good time even when they don't have tables and chairs on which to eat dinner. My husband and I are married, and our talented photographer made sure we got some skyline shots outside in the rain. For those with upcoming weddings, I would choose this venue knowing that rain is a real risk that is up to you to obsess about. I would also strongly consider tenting even if the chances of rain are low, because the alternative (moving everything inside) is far from ideal. Unfortunately, though, if it doesn't rain, you're out $1600, but in my opinion, that's a small price to pay for your guests' comfort. It's wild to think that in 2015, meteorologists still can't accurately predict rain three days out.

Beyond Beautiful!

Reviewed on 1/08/2015 Amy T

My wedding reception was at Oviatt Penthouse on Sunday November 16th. The Oviatt is an absolutely gorgeous and unique historical venue (my guests are still taking about how beautiful it was), but you can tell that from the pictures. What you can't see is how lovely it was to work with everyone there. Nicole is professional and personable. She got back to me promptly whenever I had questions before and after I signed the contract. Tina in accounting was friendly and accommodating. Rob was the event captain and everything ran smoothly. My wedding coordinator also commented that all of the Oviatt staff was very helpful. Truly Yours Catering (they own the venue) does not do your standard mediocre wedding food! I got so many comments from my guests about how delicious everything was! I had a brunch buffet with fried chicken, waffles, bacon, spinach quiche, prime rib, mashed potatoes, and grilled vegetables. I was seriously craving their prime rib for the next week! I had two changes to items at my tasting and they were perfectly incorporated. I really appreciate how the website gave pricing and menu info upfront and there were no "surprise" fees. Having an event there could be a pricey proposition. There's no way I could have had a reception there on Saturday night and with the choice of three plated entrees and full open bar. However, the site fee varies widely depending on day of week and time of day. You get to completely build your own menu and to help, they provide several sample menus with pricing featuring different configurations (buffet, family style, plated, stations) and number of hors d' oeuvres and entrees to get an idea of what the price range is. They also let you bring in all the alcohol and rent their bartender. There is also no cake cutting fee. I feel that The Oviatt is an incredible venue and an incredible value.

TEST REVIEW777

Reviewed on 12/22/2014 new j

TEST REVIEW TEST REVIEW TEST REVIEW TEST REVIEW

Amazing!

Reviewed on 10/04/2014 KELLEY M

Perfect in every way!!!

Casual Elegance

Reviewed on 9/12/2014 Andrea U

That was the theme of our wedding and with the Oviatt's old Hollywood glam and stunning LA skyline it was the perfect outdoor venue for our wedding. The place is so beautiful you don't need to dress it up. The staff were gracious and attentive. Nicole, the coordinator for the venue, was amazing. She kept our planning on track and had great checklists and vendor lists to help us through. Since they have their own caterer, tables, chairs, linens, you don't need to coordinate much. The food was plentiful and really yummy. And to top it off the costs are a great value.

The Perfect Venue!

Reviewed on 7/18/2014 Karin G

The Oviatt was the perfect spot for our wedding 6/22/14. We didn't want the usual country club/hotel setting, and the Oviatt is a beautiful and unique alternative at a reasonable price. It was a great size for our small wedding of 55 guests. Nicole at the Oviatt is such a professional, she knows her stuff and was extremely helpful throughout the entire process. I highly recommend the Oviatt if you are looking for a unique location for a smaller event. All in all a great experience!

I knew from the moment I walked in!

Reviewed on 7/17/2014 Leighanna S

The hubby and I started our search for a venue at the Oviatt and when we were done with the tour, and got back into the historic, original elevator I turned to him and asked, "do we really need to go anywhere else?" We were so incredibly blown away with the beauty and nostalgia the Oviatt provided and could not believe we had found such a perfect venue (and on the first shot too!). The pictures and website do not do the Oviatt justice, and I hope they update things soon, because the venue is absolutely breathtaking. All night our guests were coming up to us and telling us how much they loved the venue, and asking how we found such a gem in Los Angeles. Not only is the venue great, but the food is spectacular (we had people going back for seconds and thirds and even raved about how good it was!), and Nicole, the event coordinator, is an absolute sweetheart. I am so happy with my decision to go with the Oviatt, it made an incredibly beautiful and memorable evening for myself and my husband, and we wouldn't have changed it for the world. I would suggest trying for a wedding during the week (as I did), as it is cheaper, but even on the weekends it is not bad for what you get. We also decided to provide our own alcohol (which they don't charge you for, just the hourly rate for a bartender!), and we had a small event with only about 35 people, so we didn't have to pay for a fire marshal or extra security or anything. That being said, this is the perfect place for a smaller (I would say no more than 100, but they can accommodate up to 150 I believe) event that has a unique and vintage feel to it that takes you back to L.A. and Hollywood's golden days!

A magical night!

Reviewed on 5/12/2012 Dinorah G

I had my wedding there one week ago and it was the most amazing night of my life. The staff was excellent! Everyone was friendly and really set the mood for the night. They were so considerate and addressed details I wouldn't have thought of. The food was delicious! I'm still getting compliments on it. Chris, Roxy and the entire team at The Oviatt Penthouse are amazing. The location couldn't have been better. There was a feeling of romance and love under all the city lights in the night sky. It could not have been a better night. If you're looking for a fun, chic urban wedding with a vintage flare, this is it!

Breathtaking venue

Reviewed on 3/09/2012 Maria G

If you're a city loving person who appreciates views, character and beautiful decor then you'll love The Oviatt! To top it off, the staff is great and super professional. My husband and I found the perfect place for our wedding reception and hope to rent this place again for our 10 year anniversary! :)

Amazing!

Reviewed on 10/28/2011 Jennifer B

I was recently married at the Oviatt Penthouse. We had our ceremony and reception there. My husband and I could not be happier with the outcome..it was better than we ever imagined! The Oviatt is such a unique and beautiful site for a wedding. Roxy, Chris and Truly Yours Catering were so great to work with. They were so helpful! They were quick to respond to all my questions, helped us stay in our budget, and even helped us find most of our other vendors. The whole night was beautiful, went very smoothly and the food was delicious! I've heard nothing but compliments about our wedding and people are still raving 3 weeks later! I would definately recommend both the Oviatt and/or Truly Yours Catering for just about any special occasion. I hope to find a reason to use them again someday!

Just Stunning

Reviewed on 8/03/2011 Terry R

The Oviatt Penthouse is just beautiful! A historical venue. It was unbelievable. I had the best day of my life.

absolutely terrific

Reviewed on 9/26/2010 Sara M

My wife and I were married here in August 2010. As is apparent from other materials online, the Oviatt Penthouse is a unique rooftop art deco venue that will provide a dramatic and memorable setting for your event. Here are some other details that might not be as apparent online. + The staff is extremely experienced, capable, and caring. The venue has just switched to a new operator a few weeks after our wedding, but the staff is all the same. From our experience, the site manager and day-of captain are especially terrific, as people and as professionals. + The food was really good, way better than other weddings we have been to, based on our own opinion and most of our guests'. The caterer is different now but I think there is a fair chance that this will continue to be the case. + The indoor portion of the venue is at least as big as the outdoor, so there is enough room and variety in spaces for your guests to be able to wander around a little bit. Still, capacity is capped at 120. Overall we were very pleased with the Oviatt, and are not just saying so because we were married there!

TO Oviatt Penthouse