Plaza de Magdalena

San Juan Capistrano, CA

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

Plaza de Magdalena in the heart of San Juan

Sundried Tomato American Bistros & Catering is excited to announce the Grand Opening of our new event venue in the heart of downtown San Juan Capistrano. This picturesque location provides many configurations and options to choose from!

Ballroom, Cruise, Restaurant

31781 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, CA (949) 661-1299

Reviewed on 9/09/2017 Annie N

Patti was an absolute dream to work with! I'm a very type A person, and was emailing & calling her multiple times a week to double check things and update her! In a nutshell, she was accomoding, kind, and made my wedding planning experience a breeze.

Reviewed on 8/25/2017 Kimberly B

We ran into some hiccups planning our wedding. 2 weeks before our wedding date our original venue called us to tell us our venue wasn't going to be done with construction in time to have the wedding. With little notice, we called Patti and she was more then willing to... Read More accommodate us. Patti worked above and beyond to ensure my husband and I were happy and made absolutely sure that our day was what we dreamed of. I couldn't be happier with how the day went. Our guest are still talking about how much fun they had and everyone is raving about how good the food was. I couldn't be more impressed with the service that was provided by both Patti and the wait staff. I would highly recommend Plaza de Magdalena to everyone!!

Reviewed on 3/23/2017 Chris J

The quality of food from Plaza de Magdelena put us over the edge when selecting them as our vendor and they certainly delivered at our reception. Guests were very vocal about how wonderful the menu was. The staff was professional and responsive, and they were flexible with our... Read More needs. The space is gorgeous and welcoming as well. We would certainly work with them again, given the opportunity.

Reviewed on 3/22/2017 Madelynn M

What a magical wedding and wonderful venue! The day of team was fantastic to work with. The ceremony courtyard space was transformed into a perfect fairy tale. The entire staff was friendly, and responsive. You will not regret having your big day here. Thanks Patti and team!

Reviewed on 12/05/2016 Kristen N

Our wedding at the Plaza de Magdalena was amazing! It is such a beautiful location that is great for photos itself, but also so close to other great photo ops. The food was amazing and the staff at the wedding was so helpful and friendly. Everyone had such a great time at the... Read More wedding, myself and my husband included. We had the ceremony and the reception there and everything flowed very smoothly and made for a great event. I highly recommend this venue.

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Lauren C

We just had our wedding 10/8/2016 at Plaza De Magdalena. Patti was absolutely fantastic to work with. Her quickness to respond and availability to answer all of my questions throughout the process was very re-assuring. It is a great venue, and very affordable, and allows for... Read More many different visions from any style bride!

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Kellee G

Amazing wedding venue! We had our wedding there in September and couldnt have been happier! Everyone at our wedding couldn't get over how amazing the food was and how intimate the venue was! Patti and the staff there are also great! You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed on 10/26/2016 Rebecca S

My husband and I had the pleasure of holding both our wedding ceremony and reception at Plaza de Magdalena on 10-1-16! Everything was absolutely PERFECT!! Patti and her staff were very helpful from day 1 and made our special day everything we could have ever hoped for. Our... Read More cocktail hour and dinner were delicious. Even several weeks after the wedding our guests still tell us how much they loved the food and they had so much fun. THANK YOU PLAZA DE MAGDALENA!! Love Mark and Rebecca

Reviewed on 10/23/2016 Erika J

Ah-mazing! Patti and her team helped us create the most beautiful day ever. They made special accommodations for us and our guests, the price was much more affordable than other venues, and the food was delicious. My husband and I highly recommend this space.

Reviewed on 9/28/2016 Joelle J

Patti Pracht and the entire staff at Sundried Tomato and Plaza Magdalena are simply AMAZING! My wife and I were blown away by the attention to detail and positive attitude that Patti, brought to our big day. Since we booked with them, Patti was in constant contact with us,... Read More sending us photos of events that took place there, bouncing decoration ideas off of us, helping us find vendors, and even giving our family members a tour of the venue 4 months before the wedding. Dealing with Patti was like dealing with a friend who sincerely cared about your experience with Plaza Magdalena, and we were just so lucky to have her on our side. As for the venue itself, you cannot find a more intimate, unique location for a wedding in San Juan Capistrano. Its prime location in the middle of downtown allowed our guests to visit the local restaurants and bars before our wedding and even after. You are definitely blown away as you walk down the grand stair case into the plaza, which has strung lights, a fountain and decorative stone pavers enhancing the old Spanish feeling. Inside, the venue was completely brand new, and accommodated all our 200 guests, without being cramped. We had a head table (with 12 people), 18 round tables, decorative furniture, dance floor, bar and a cake table all inside the venue with room to spare. Outside, we had a photo booth, gift table, bar and cocktail table with all our guests, again without feeling like sardines. Lastly, one of the biggest hits at our wedding was the FOOD! We kept getting rave reviews from our guests at the quality of food served by the venue. The Sundried Tomato, the restaurant on the 2nd floor, provides excellent gourmet food, hot and fresh from the kitchen. We had the chimichurri steak with the salmon, and everyone was loving it! If you are hesitant about what the food tastes like, just have a dinner or lunch at the restaurant and be blown away at the quality of the food. Overall, I cannot over emphasize how perfect our wedding day was with the help of Patti and everyone at Plaza Magdalena and Sundried Tomato. If you are on the fence, or are searching for a special venue, THIS IS YOUR PLACE! THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYTHING PATTI! Daniel and Joelle Guerra – Wedding Date 8/13/16

Reviewed on 9/20/2016 Annie K

They gave me a quote and then tried to charge me another $1,000. The quote clearly stated the total fee and what all it included in that fee. Be very careful they are shady.

Reviewed on 7/20/2016

Our wedding day was July 3rd, and we could not be happier with the venue! We stumbled upon it during my internet search, and once we saw the beautiful reception room and tasted the food, it was an easy decision! Patti is wonderful to work with, and she goes above and beyond to... Read More make the day run smoothly. She gave us a great list of vendors (as suggestions) and was always very responsive to any emails we sent. On the day of our wedding, we really appreciated the staff and thought they did an amazing job. Our guests thought the venue was great as well and kept asking, "How did you find this place?!" It was perfect for our wedding and reception, and we would highly recommend it!

Reviewed on 6/27/2016 Michelle C

We had our wedding on June 4th and Patti did an amazing job. She went above and beyond to help us with our big day. The venue cost included table cloths, silverware, tables and chairs for the cocktail hour and during the reception. We had a lunch reception and the lighting... Read More through the window was perfect for the reception. The venue is also beautiful, inside and outside. I give Plaza de Magdalena a big thumbs up :)

Reviewed on 6/14/2016 Inge H

We are absolutely thrilled with how everything turned out for our wedding day!! Patti worked with us on every customization and made sure we had ample access for our vendors leading up to the event and during the event weekend. The food was fantastic and the catering team was... Read More so flexible and worked with us on every logistical detail. The ambience and location is perfect for a good mix of indoor & outdoor elements. The location is also terrific for photos since it's in the heart of downtown San Juan Capistrano. My bridal party got our hair and makeup done 100 yards from PDM and we were all able to get dressed/do final touches together in the bridal suite - there was 12 of us! There was so much room in the bridal suite, it's great. Plus, Patti adds a personal touch by hanging your invitation in the room. It's very sweet of her! We are so glad we celebrated our big day here and would definitely recommend this venue!

Reviewed on 6/01/2016 Jennifer F

Plaza de Magdalena was the perfect setting for our wedding on 5/22/16. It was the first venue we visited and we knew we didn't need to go anywhere else. It's romantic and cozy, and it fit all of our guests perfectly, with tons of room for more. Patti is warm and inviting and she... Read More responds quickly to any email or phone call. She was super easy to work with and her team kept everything moving smoothly. The food is amazing and all our guests raved about it. I had a lot of DIY decor and I was able to bring it on the rehearsal day and set it up. They have a lovely bridal suite with a big bathroom and it was plenty spacious enough for myself, 5 bridesmaids, mothers of the bride/groom, and two photographers! The groom's suite was nice too, it has a foosball table, tv, couches and a fridge. I love the location, it's hidden below the restaurants across from the mission. We took our bridal party photos down in the Los Rios District which is right down the street. I highly recommend this venue to anyone! We absolutely loved it!!

Reviewed on 5/02/2016 Christie S

This is the perfect location for a wedding! I recently coordinated a wedding at Plaza de Magdalena and let me tell you, it's specially designed for weddings and they've thought of everything! The ceremony area has gorgeous bistro lighting to create an enchanting ceremony vibe... Read More (option to use their arbor), the reception area has lighting and speakers included, and the venue takes care of all of the tables, linens, napkins, chairs, you name it! This was a stress-free option for the bride as the venue coordinator is exceptional at her job. Patti is a true wedding expert and will make sure you are well taken care of on your wedding day. I would coordinate weddings here every weekend if I could because the staff at the venue are A+ (so helpful, hard working and FRIENDLY!!), the food is insanely good (almost too good to be true) and it comes fully equipped for weddings. Christie Rose Events loves everything about Plaza de Magdalena! True wedding professionals.

Reviewed on 5/02/2016 Heather S

This place is a gem!!! We just had our wedding here 4/30/16, and it was thee most stress-free day of my life. Patti and team were so incredibly helpful and attentive to detail. The Sundried Tomato team were so organized and kind. The courtyard was the perfect place for the... Read More ceremony, and the reception couldn't have been nicer. The venue is so clean, and polished, that is looks beautiful without needing any decorations. It was nice that they provided linens, napkins, and they had the table and chairs. The food- OMG- the food was incredible! We had spinach stuffed chicken breasts, tri tip, an amazing gourmet mac n cheese, and the salads were so delicious. Everything was so fresh- we heard many guests saying this was the best wedding food they have had. We could not have imagined our day any other way. It was perfect!!!

Reviewed on 4/20/2016

A "golden" place!! My parents 50th wedding anniversary party was truly beautiful. The venue staff was so helpful with all the planning. The appetizers and luncheon were delish! All our guest kept saying how this felt like a wonderful wedding!! Can't thank you enough Patti and... Read More your amazing staff for making my parents party perfect!!

Reviewed on 8/10/2015 Cherilyn C

I truly can't recommend Plaza de Magdalena enough. My husband and I only had our reception here - but - we had access to the venue for the entire day. This meant that both parties were able to get ready in the beautiful bridal suite and relaxing grooms room before we went to... Read More our ceremony site. We had a server that came to our rooms and took our orders (food and beverage), which made it a truly luxurious experience. When we came back from the ceremony, our guests had tray passed appetizers in the courtyard (which has been totally redone and looks GREAT!), as well as a full beer and wine open bar (spirits were an option, but we opted for beer and wine). The appetizers were smoked salmon on a cucumber with dill sauce, crostini with Brie and cranberries, signature spring rolls, and their signature sundries tomato soup. By the way, the site has been created by restaurant and catering company, SunDried Tomato, therefore, it is catered by SDT which is delicious! For dinner, we chose salmon with a chardonnay caper sauce and chicken with spinach and marscapone and champagne cream sauce. Our sides were fresh vegetables with an aioli sauce, the 'adult' mac & cheese (amazing), and chopped salad with a cilantro vinaigrette; each table had bread and their delicious sundried tomato butter. The service was impeccable; our guests could not stop raving about the service and food. It truly was a memorable experience to have our reception here. I cannot fully express how grateful we are to have had a flawless experience of uncompromising quality.

Reviewed on 7/20/2015

I took a tour of Plaza de Magdalena and was so impressed. The venue is so beautiful and the staff there was absolutely incredible. It wasn't available for my wedding day, which I was bummed about, but my experience there was great and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed on 7/14/2015

Can't stop talking about what a great time we had at the reception. Everyone said it was the BEST PARTY they ever went to. A lovely location - fabulous food - and the Plaza de Magdalena staff and catering team were incredible to work with. They took care of every last detail... Read More which made it so much easier for us to enjoy ourselves. Wish we could do it all over again!