The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Located in beautiful Benson, North Carolina, the Preston Woodall House brings an elegant Queen Anne-style historic building to couples seeking a historic venue for their wedding and reception. Built in 1910, the Preston Woodall House covers more than 9,000 square feet of space with a graceful ballroom, 13 beautiful bedrooms and three guest cottages designed to create an unforgettable wedding experience.

The Cora Lilly Grand Ballroom, with its high ceilings and historic architecture, shares more than 2,800 square feet of space for up to 300 guests. Elegant wall coverings and dark wood accents give the ballroom the feel of a grand mansion. A tiled dance floor graces the center of the room, which is lit by brass and crystal chandeliers. The carpeted seating area grants space for 30 tables and 300 chairs with additional areas for the DJ or wedding band. An indoor ceremony with towering gilt-edged mirrors as a backdrop makes your first look photos unforgettable. The elegant staircase inside the Preston Woodall House gives each bride the option of a beautiful entrance to the ceremony or reception and French doors access the patio creating additional space for a cocktail reception under the stars.

The Gardens provide a romantic space for an outdoor ceremony and reception on manicured grounds with the elegant columns of the Preston Woodall House as a background. A stone walkway leads to a pretty garden gazebo with a raised staging area for the ceremony itself. Guests flank the walkway in bright white chairs on the gorgeous green lawn and couples can add flowers or candles to brighten the space.

Easily accessed by both Interstate 95 and Interstate 40, the Preston Woodall House is a bed and breakfast with a graceful and unique southern charm that invites to-be-weds to relax and enjoy their wedding. A complete catering department creates amazing menus including plated dinners or buffet options. Entrees include beef Wellington, chicken Roulade, crab stuffed shrimp and pecan-crusted rainbow trout with a variety of appetizer and dessert selections. A complete bar with options for custom or signature drinks helps to create a festive reception.

The Preston Woodall House offers wedding packages that are all-inclusive. Lodging for guests in the historic home includes a delicious breakfast each morning and guest cottages are also available for a more private housing option. The house is also available for pre-wedding portraits and rehearsal dinners when a wedding package is chosen.

The beautiful and historic location of the Preston Woodall House is definitely a perk when it comes to weddings or receptions in North Carolina. Other perks include:

• A grand piano for photos or music
  • Close to restaurants and lodging
  • Bridal suite and breakfast for the newlyweds

Presenting a Spectacular Venue for Your Day

The Preston Woodall House will dazzle you and your guests. The Mansions Cora Lily Grand Ballroom, outdoor gardens, 3 separate cottages surrounding the Mansion and baby grand piano creates one of the triangles most breathtaking wedding venues... A Legacy of Grand Weddings!

• Outdoor - Covered

Ballroom, Estate, Historic Venue

Bar + Drinks, Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Wedding Planning, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning, Rentals + Equipment, Service Staff

201 E. Hill Street, Benson, NC (919) 894-7025

Reviewed on 2/09/2017 Vivian B

BEST WEDDING VENUE IN NORTH CAROLINA! Our wedding was absolutely perfect thanks to Joel Hurley and his amazing staff! Nick and DJ went above and beyond turning the ballroom into a dream when our outside ceremony in the gardens got rained out. Family and friends are still... Read More contacting me telling me how beautiful the venue was with its elegant yet decadant 1910 charm still in tact throughout the entire house. The food was absolutely delicious and all the guests kept commenting on how tender their steak was! The ballroom is breathtaking and being able to stay with the wedding party the entire weekend in the onsite cottages is priceless. The memories made at the Preston Woodall House will forever be my favorite.

Reviewed on 11/15/2016 Danielle W

When it came time to scope the perfect venue for our wedding, we saw several places prior to the Preston Woodall House, but not one seemed to capture the warmth, charm or vibe we were going for. We drove out to Benson, NC and feasted our eyes on this gorgeous 1910 Queen Anne... Read More mansion. We both fell instantly in love with it, and knew that it would more than provide the perfect backdrop to our special day. Joel and his staff went above and beyond their call of duty for us. Joel went out of his way to make sure we had the perfect linens, chairs, cuisine, and on site accommodations. Joel was our day of wedding coordinator as well. The venue speaks for itself but the warmth and charm of the Preston Woodall House is Joel and his amazing staff. We truly felt like a king and queen that weekend

Reviewed on 3/19/2017 Belinda P

If you have a vision for your special day, Nick and DJ will enhance it. If you don't have a vision, they will help create it. These guys did an incredible job making my sister's wedding beautiful and flawless. And their ability to work with all types of personalities at the same... Read More time was nothing but spectacular. I can't say enough wonderful things about The Preston Woodall House, Nick, DJ, and their staff. AND the food was incredible.

Reviewed on 11/23/2016 Ashley G

Our day was perfect!! The ceremony and reception were awesome!! Joel Hurley and his wonderful staff made sure that every need was met. They went above and beyond to make all of our guests feel welcomed!! They helped us with things that were not expected of them!! Thank you... Read More Shaun C. for helping make the weekend go smoothly!! Thank you Chef D.J. for all the amazing foods!! Thank you Nicholas A. and the housekeeping staff for keeping everything in great operating order!! You guys ROCK!!

Reviewed on 10/16/2016 J Michele s

Reviewed on 2/18/2016 Alyssa B

In May 2014, my fiance and I set out across the state of North Carolina to find our dream wedding venue. We had many things listed that the venue "must" have and we both knew without a doubt the moment we walked into the Preston Woodall that this was where we were to get... Read More married. From the moment we set our date for November 21, 2015 to the moment we drove away in our car from the reception, the staff at the Preston Woodall became not only a critical part of our day but they grew to be our friends. Having Joel do our day of coordination was an added bonus that I cannot recommend enough to new brides. Every little detail about our day was done with the up most care by the staff that it seemed as if we were the only wedding there that year. They focus solely on you and that moment that you forget how many weddings they host at the site each year. Choosing to do our ceremony and reception at the venue could not have been a better choice. The weather was perfect and Joel worked with us on every little detail to make sure we got the timing just how we wanted it. The weekend of our wedding we felt like the most special people on this earth. A few last minute changes and Joel was able to hold my bridesmaid brunch on site and it was the most beautiful display I have ever seen (kuddos to Jeffrey's Florist in Dunn). Stefanie was right there all weekend to answer any questions we had or to grab anything we needed. Stefanie and Joel operate as if they have been working together for decades and they played a huge role in how smooth our day went. Kim and Dustin were the most wonderful support system to have right after walking down the aisle. They assisted with our pictures while carrying my veil from place to place and packed up our left over dinner from the reception to make sure we had something to eat after our long drive back to Greensboro. Our guests have complemented continuously the amazing food that Chef Brian prepared and I can tell you it was just as wonderful the night of as it was at our food tasting a whole year before. He takes such great pride in his work and it does not go unnoticed. Our families and bridal party had the absolute best time staying on site during the wedding weekend. I cannot tell you how special it was to spend every moment together during that weekend and looking back on our day, it was the small moments of us being so close with our friends that made it what it was. When I look back on the most special day of my life, my heart smiles knowing my husband and I could not have picked a more perfect place to start our life together. To Joel and your entire staff- THANK YOU for becoming our friends over the past two years. Thank you for treating us like royalty and thank you for sharing your lives with us. My only sadness from our wedding day being done is knowing I do not get to talk to Joel on a weekly/monthly basis anymore. The Preston Woodall Staff truly became part of our family and we are so honored to have shared our wedding day with you all. All my love, Alyssa (Baker) Godwin November 21, 2015

2016-02-19T09:46:20 Response from the vendor

Thank you for such an amazing review Alyssa! We love you guys and appreciate your support and kindness throughout the planning process. One of our all-time favorite couples married at the Preston Woodall House.

Reviewed on 1/26/2016 Emily M

We selected the Preston Woodall House for its incredible staff. Yes, the house is historically stunning and it has a fantastic outdoor setting but the people of Preston Woodall is what made our wedding the event of the year. The owner, Joel Hurley, walked us through step by... Read More step of the wedding process to make our wedding a symbolic representation of both of us. Chief Brian and his staff displayed their art in the decadent food that they presented at every meal of our stay at the PWH. It was a pleasure and joy to watch Stephanie, event manager, in her element. She conducted a symphony with her irreplaceable staff that treated our guest like family and anticipated their every need. When 30 more people arrived than planned at our wedding and guest had taken over the table for my family, the PWH staff sprang into action rolling out and decorated an additional table before our grand entrance. My father-in-law is a retired, decorated military officer and in his own words “I felt like royalty”. He was thanked and shown the utmost respect for his dedication and service. A request we did not have to ask for. Our wedding was filled with untraditional surprises, personal touches and lots and lots of partying; we could not have done it without the amazing staff and venue at Preston Woodall. After the wedding our guests were surprised to find out how much we spent on the event, imagining it cost much more than it did. Thank you, Preston Woodall House, for giving my bride the wedding of her dreams and in the budget I fought so hard to keep. We love you!! LIst of reasons why we love PHW Beautiful ballroom Elegant outdoor setting Impeccable staff Delicious food On-site lodging for 26 of our guests and reasons words are unable to describe Happy wives, Kristin & Emily Moler

Reviewed on 12/31/2015 Samantha M

My husband and I were just married at the PWH on 12/5/15. We looked at several venues before choosing PWH. The warm and welcoming staff and the beauty of the venue sold us immediately. Joel, Stephanie and their staff did an amazing job and our wedding was more beautiful... Read More than I had hoped. All of the staff was so helpful and accommodating. Every detail was taken care of and handled with professionalism. My step-dad is paralyzed so we had some pretty unique needs. Stephanie made sure that everything (even down to rearranging the furniture in his bedroom) was taken care of so that we were comfortable and my dad was able to participate in everything. The facility is beautiful and well maintained. The food is wonderful (Chef Brian, you're amazing!). The staff is excellent. In addition, their prices are excellent. We opted for the package that included the use of the cottages and the house from Friday through Sunday morning. Having most of the wedding party onsite was wonderful. No other venue in this area could have provided these amenities. My husband and I highly recommend PWH for your wedding or special event. Give Joel, Stephanie, and Chef Brian a chance to make your day worry-free!

Reviewed on 12/07/2015 Stephanie B

Thank you so much to the Preston Woodall House for making our fairy tale come to life! My husband Roger and I were married on 11/28/15 and experienced the most amazing and memorable wedding weekend of our lives! Joel, Stephanie, Brian and the entire staff were so gracious, and... Read More attentive to us and our families that they felt more like extended family, rather than staff! Between the antique charm of the Preston Woodall House, and the holiday decor, our winter wedding dream came to life. Brian is an absolute culinary genius and over a week later, our guests cannot stop gushing about the food! My husband is in the military and none of our family live locally and this magical venue brought guests from all over the country and allowed us to enjoy a stress free weekend spent with a lot of laughs and memories shared between family and friends. We truly couldn't have envisioned a more perfect weekend! From the bottom of hearts, we love and thank everyone at the Preston Woodall House for working with us in the months leading up to the wedding and executing our wedding day flawlessly. <3 Stephanie and Roger

Reviewed on 11/28/2015

My sister got married at the PWH on 11/21/2015 and had her reception in the ballroom and all that we have to say about the PWH is "wow". They absolutely exceeded all of our expectations from the price, to the housing arrangements, to their staff. Everything was absolutely... Read More perfect and the staff was phenomenal- I cannot say that enough. They were pleasant and polite; they went above and beyond for anything that we could've possibly needed for their Big Day. It makes sense why they have so many accolades- this venue is FANTASTIC. The food is also phenomenal, and I'm a picky eater so that says something. They handled every detail of their day to the highest standard of care. My only "complaint" is that I can't get married there, since my sister got married there first, and she wouldn't be too thrilled about me "stealing" her wedding venue ;) Hands down the best wedding venue in NC, I guarantee it.

Reviewed on 10/26/2015

I only wish I could give more stars! The owners and staff of the Preston Woodall House are the definition of wedding professionals. My husband and I just got married this past weekend, and we couldn't wait to review the venue! The staff is super friendly and helpful, Stephanie... Read More was an absolute rock star helping our coordinator, and the food was to die for! The house is absolutely gorgeous and everyone was flexible and really worked with my husband and I. The staff really made us feel like family during our stay. They genuinely want you to enjoy your big day here. We felt taken care of from the moment we signed our contract until the moment we drove home the day after the wedding. If you want a beautiful wedding with no worries at all, do yourself a favor and call Joel Hurley to book your wedding! Thank you so much Preston Woodall staff!

Reviewed on 10/04/2015

The Preston Woodall house was the first venue that me and my now wife visited and we immediately stopped all of our searching as this place is THE best. We met with Joel Hurley, the owner, who is amazing. We purchased a package that included catering and all of the rooms in... Read More the house for a few nights and the ballroom. All of our guests had nothing but good things to say about the accommodations and the wait staff. My wife and I really enjoyed the wait staff and how courteous they were. They made sure we had everything that we needed or wanted during the event. For example- We had bacon wrapped shrimp as our hors d'oeuvres. Guests complimented them greatly, but I did not get to have one. During dinner, I asked one of the wait staff if there were any left. She disappeared for about five minutes and came back with a WHOLE PLATE of them just for me and the bride. How cool is that? Our wedding was amazing and I truly do not feel it would have been as great if we had not chosen the Preston Woodall House. If you're planning your own wedding, you should visit this venue and meet the staff (Stephanie, Brian, Joel, Amy, Kim and Dustin are amazing!)

Reviewed on 9/23/2015 Danielle C

We were married and had our reception at the Preston Woodall House on August 1, 2015. I couldn't have imagined a better place to get married. We also had our rehearsal and dinner at PWH. The food was outrageously good and everyone agreed. We were picky and had some food... Read More allergies to deal with and it was handled with style, grace and some seriously delicious meals - thank you so much Brian! Everyone was very impressed. Stephanie did an excellent job with coordinating. Every question we asked, she answered calmly and directly. Joel handled all of our meetings and addressed questions and coordinated the rehearsal and wedding. We've been to and in other weddings and ours was by far the most organized! I couldn't have imagined a more organized staff and weekend. The staff at the PWH can't be beat, period! We had compliment after compliment of the staff, food, and gorgeous location of the PWH. We loved having the housing as well so that our families could spend the weekend on the premises with us! I couldn't imagine spending our big day (and honestly the whole weekend) anywhere else. Thank you all for making our wedding exactly what we wanted it to be!

A Dream Come True

Reviewed on 2/24/2015 Cindi B

If you are searching for the PERFECT spot for your wedding, this is IT!! We were married 2/21/15 at The Preston Woodall House and it was breath taking. The staff were all so wonderful, I left feeling like they were a part of my family. They took care of every single little... Read More detail, more than I could have ever imagined! Joel Hurley is an exceptional man and assisted with our planning every step of the way. Brian, our fantastic chef, made a meal that our guests could NOT stop raving about all night. If you are looking for classic and beautiful, The Preston Woodall House will give you that and more!

A+ and then some

Reviewed on 2/06/2015 Steph K

Where do I even start! Our wedding weekend was absolutely spectacular because of the Preston Woodall House. We knew we found our venue at our initial tour. The grounds and house are the perfect set-up. Everything can happen all in 1 place. Close family and friends can spend this... Read More memorable time together. Then there is the owner, Joel. Joel and his staff cover every single detail so you have nothing to worry about on the day of your wedding. Everything went so smooth, I was able to spend every minute with my friends and family. The chef, Brian, is fantastic. Our rehearsal dinner had all of our guests talking because the food was amazing. Brian even comes out and interacts with guests to ensure everything tasted as it should. The Preston Woodall House staff is like a family and during the wedding planning process you become part of that family. I really cannot praise them enough. I would highly recommend them. You will not be disappointed and are getting way more service than you pay for. When you are in Joel's hands, you will have nothing to worry about!

Excellent and Personal!

Reviewed on 1/08/2015 Joanna B

The Preston Woodall House made all of our dreams come true! They were great to work with, helped with anything we needed, and made sure we were taken care of! We used Joel as our Wedding planner and coordinator and could not have asked for a better person! We fell in love with... Read More him and his staff! They helped us every step of the way, from the moment we started planning until we left! They were incredible, the venue was gorgeous, and all of my guests have said nothing but great things!

Perfect Venue for Your Perfect Day

Reviewed on 11/21/2014 Ginger

I do not think that I have enough words to describe just how wonderful The Preston Woodall House is. I could not have envisioned a more perfect day to marry my best friend. To begin, Joel, the owner, is the main reason my husband and I selected this venue. He has such a... Read More passion for his couples and does everything in his power to make sure that you have the most wonderful experience. He would constantly check in with us to make sure that everything was going according to plan. He is a kind hearted, genuine man who wants nothing but the best for anyone who has an event as his venue. Second, Brian the chef is OUTSTANDING! The food was absolutely delicious and carefully planned and prepared. My friends and family continue to comment about the delicious meal and cocktail hour they had at our wedding. Third, the venue itself is breathtaking. The Preston Woodall House is perfect for any type of wedding you are envisioning. The best part was that my family and bridal party were able to stay with me in the house and cottages near by for the weekend. It made the event that much more intimate and enjoyable. The outside garden is perfect for a ceremony and you and your guests will be taken care of throughout your entire wedding/event. Stephanie ran the event on our wedding day impeccably! Last, but not least, if you are looking for a venue that can provide you with almost everything you need to have a perfect wedding day, look no further! I highly encourage thinking about this venue to take a meeting with Joel. I am almost 100% sure you will book the venue before you leave! Thank you to Joel, Brian, and the entire Preston Woodall House staff for the perfect day! -Ginger-

The perfect experience!

Reviewed on 11/09/2014

My wedding could not have been any more perfect. They paid attention to every single detail. The food was incredible. The staff catered to needs I didn't even know we had. I will remember this day as one of my best, and most of that credit goes to Preston Woodall House. They... Read More were also the most beautiful and affordable venue within 50 miles!

A Perfect Weekend

Reviewed on 10/26/2014 Emily L

My husband and I had our wedding ceremony and reception at the PWH on 10/4/14. I first heard about them at a bridal show and went to tour the house a few weeks later. As soon as I met Joel and toured the house, I was sold! I wanted an outdoor wedding, and the house, gardens, and... Read More property were so beautiful and unique that I literally jumped up and down when I booked our wedding date. The planning process with the PWH was so easy. Joel (who also serves as a wedding director) gave me homework that let me know exactly what I needed to do, and he helped keep me on track. He was comforting and easygoing when I realized how much there is to do or when I couldn't make a decision, and he went above and beyond to look into options for the reception and to suggest vendors when I was having tough time finding a hairstylist. The entire staff was helpful, especially Chef Brian. When we showed up to our testing session and I had forgotten to mention that I was a vegetarian, he brushed it off and quickly whipped me up a vegetarian meal with no complaints. We paid for the ultimate destination package, which includes an entire weekend (Friday through Sunday) of wedding festivities. From our arrival to our departure, the weekend was perfect. The rehearsal went smoothly, and even though Joel had the flu he managed to pull himself together to make sure that the rehearsal and ceremony staging went smoothly and was perfectly timed. We planned our rehearsal dinner at the last minute, and the meal was phenomenal, and Chef Brian even made a vegetarian option for me even though I wasn't expecting anything special. And, our wedding day Saturday was perfect. So, so perfect. I came down for 30 minutes on Saturday to explain what decorations went where and who should be seated where, etc., and the staff took care of the rest. Stephanie (who is another phenomenal member of the PWH team) took care of everything and made sure that the reception was set up correctly. The PWH staff was great at setting up the staff and keeping us on schedule. Right before the ceremony, as I was waiting in the hall for my parents and as the bridal party was preparing to walk in, I was incredibly nervous. Stephanie was there to keep an eye on me and to reassure me, she made sure the bridal party knew what to do, and she fluffed my dress before I walked down the aisle. It is those little details that make the PWH a fantastic wedding venue. The staff made the transition between the ceremony and reception very quickly, and other than leaving flowers outside that were intended for the inside tables, our reception was perfect, and when we made our entrance I could see that it was decorated beautifully. We had a seated/plated dinner and the staff was very attentive: drinks were filled, plates were brought out quickly, and the service was top-notch. And again, the food was amazing. When the evening was over and our guests were gone, we had the house (mostly) to ourselves, so our closest friends were able to stay late into the night with us before eventually going home. The staff even had a turn-down service in the bridal suite, with candles, flowers and extra plates of food/cake in case we hadn't had the chance to eat. Again, wonderful details. It was a perfect, perfect weekend and I don't regret a thing. Our guests kept commenting how beautiful it was. A summary: amazing venue, delicious food, fantastic staff, wonderful weekend, a perfect wedding. Thanks for everything!

Our Big Day!

Reviewed on 9/28/2014 Heather P

Garrett and I were in search of a venue that could best satisfy all of our needs for our special day. We visited several venues, but it wasn’t until we visited The Preston Woodall House that we knew we had found the perfect venue for our wedding day. From the first time we... Read More stepped into the Preston Woodall House to the day we said “I do”, the staff was absolutely amazing. Joel and Kaitlyn made us feel more like friends than clients and that was a huge selling point for us. Joel and his staff worked tirelessly around the clock to meet our demands. We even threw in a monkey wrench a couple weeks before our wedding and Joel was very understanding and made it happen. The staff was always accessible via email and phone and their response time was very timely. Our wedding day was absolutely perfect and everything we dreamed it would be. We are still receiving compliments from friends and family regarding how beautiful our wedding was and how great the food was, thanks to Chef Brian! Not only did we choose the best venue to celebrate our marriage, but we built friendships along the way. We will be recommending the Preston Woodall House to all of our friends!!! Love, Garrett and Heather Davis

Exquisite venue!

Reviewed on 7/12/2014 Renee Z

Joel, Stephanie, Brian & team provide world class service that is second to none. The staff at the Preston Woodall jumped through hoops to ensure our day went just how we’d planned & delivered a customized event that made all our dreams come true (and then some). We opted for... Read More the Platinum Package (keys to the estate all weekend long) and, if we could only recommend one thing, it would be to do the same! The platinum package allowed us the comfort of knowing everything would be taken care of & truly enabled us to focus on all the fun details of planning a wedding. Some of our favorite memories from the weekend came after hours with our overnight guests, an experience you cannot get at every venue. We knew we were on to something special when we met with other vendors and they got just as excited as we were when they heard we were planning our event at the Preston Woodall House! There is nothing more assuring than to hear what a wonderful reputation the PWH has in the community. And the foundation started with Joel, whom is literally the best Wedding Director you’ll find anywhere on this planet. He made us feel like we were part of the family throughout the planning process; he guided us with confidence & class and had phenomenal recommendations along the way. He was extremely flexible with our vendor selections, allowing us to truly personalize our event to our vision. Brian, the executive chef, adds an element of luxury to the menu with personalized recommendations & the best food your guests will have all wedding season (we literally got the most compliments about the food all weekend long, from the cheese grits at breakfast to the late night snacks after the reception). Not only is Brian an incredible chef, but he was also an extension of our event planning team, making sure everything came together perfectly, even after having a baby boy the same week of our wedding! The staff at PWH found ways to make our event sincerely unique all weekend long, from the personalized ice cream bar at the rehearsal dinner (something special for the groom) to the cotton candy mimosas served to the bridal party the morning of the wedding, to the customized vegetarian & kids menus and the special touch of a personalized drink for one special guest (and our very own signature drink for everyone else). If you can dream it up, this team can make it happen. Stephanie, the front of house manager, is the glue that put all the pieces (we’d worked on for months) together. Her and her team put countless hours in to each and every detail for our event, placing each decoration as if it were her own & pulled off our vision to perfection. It was so refreshing to be able to just enjoy the weekend with friends and family & not have to worry about who was going to hang the pictures in the hall, or place the favors in order. This is a gift we did not expect on wedding day, but turned out to be a true blessing. The facilities are well maintained, intimate & comfortable for all guests. The staff was extremely accommodating all weekend long, they were flexible to our requests, kind to our friends & family and really made everyone feel like a special guest. Including us! We walked in the bridal suite late on wedding night to a bed of flowers in the shape of a heart, candles lit throughout the suite & trays of wedding dinner, cake & drinks (just in case we didn’t get enough to eat). It is these special touches that warmed our hearts & welcomed us into a marriage full of love

Only One Word Describes thi place and its Staff: Excellence

Reviewed on 2/06/2014 Robert R

WEDDING PLANING: It was amazing to have Joel, the owner of the Preston Woodall House, not only hosting our rehearsal dinner and wedding, but also Directing the wedding! He was able to help determine and give advice on the flow of the ceremony, where people needed to be, and... Read More what the best use of the space and facility was. He did well with communicating with our bridal party and all of our guest with respect, kindness, but a sternness that made people confident in following his instructions. He did an awesome job! The weekend went amazingly smooth! Everything from the rehearsal, to the rehearsal dinner, to the wedding, and even the reception was just amazing and more than what we could of hoped for. He was there orchestrating over 250 guest and staff making the weekend as smooth and as stress free as it could possibly be! Joel even called me (the bride) the day before the wedding just to see how I was doing and to ask if there was anything else that I needed upon arrival to make the weekend everything I expected. This meant the world to me and was right on time. There isn't a better venue or staff to have serve and enjoy your special day with! CATERING: The catering and meals were simply AMAZING! Not only the flavors and the taste of the food but the layout and presentation of the food was by far better than any restaurant or any other wedding (bride has been a part of 4 and groom a part of 5) that we have been to in the last 5 years that we have both lived in NC. We repeatedly get compliments from our guest in relation to how all the food was so delicious and presented so beautifully. The Chef, Brian, came out several times HIMSELF to be sure that everything met our standards of satisfaction and to ask if there was anything else that he could do or prepare! Needless to say there was absolutely nothing more that we could even fathom asking for. Brian is hands down one North Carolina’s best-kept secrets!!! REHEARSAL DINNER/CEREMONY/RECEPTION VENUE: Not only Joel (the owner), but also the entire staff went above and beyond: a. Helping to carry in decorations b. Getting sprite and crackers late at night the night before the wedding when I (the bride) fell sick the day before the wedding. c. Setting up all the decorations. d. Being sure all of the details were taken care of so that we could enjoy friends and family.

Only One Word Describes thi place and its Staff: Excellence

Reviewed on 2/06/2014 Karissa B

My December 21, 2013 Wedding at Preston Woodall House, Benson, NC

Reviewed on 1/09/2014 Lauren W

I got engaged on October 9 and was married on December 21, 2013 at Preston Woodall House (PWH), in Benson, NC. My fiance, who lives in Benson, and I wanted a small wedding and decided not to hire a wedding planner. Instead, we asked my mother, a Virginian, if she would help.... Read More Fortunately she said "yes." I found PWH on Internet. It was built @1910 and is on the National Registry of Historic Places. In October, my fiance and I met with co-owner Joel Hurley for a tour of the facility, and we both loved what we saw. From the moment I walked into the foyer and saw that photo of Scarlett O'Hara, I could imagine myself walking down the staircase and into the arms of my very own "Rhett Butler." We were also very impressed with Mr. Hurley's professionalism, the price was in our budget, and we decided PWH would be the perfect place for our wedding. We got the Ultimate Destination Wedding Package, which gave us use of the main house (5 bedrooms) and 3 on-site guest cottages (for a total of 13 bedrooms). Knowing zero about NC, Mr. Hurley was of immeasurable assistance for my mother and me during the planning process. He suggested a minister, a bakery, a florist, a DJ, and a photographer--all of whom I used and was 100% satisfied. Instead of a rehearsal dinner on Friday night, December 20, we opted for a cocktail party for out-of-town guests. PWH was beautifully decorated for Christmas, with 13 trees throughout the main house all lit up for the holiday! It was absolutely breathtaking. Chef Brian Stillwaugh did a fabulous job preparing the hors d'oeuvres we had selected (spanikopitas; brochettes topped with pesto, alloueette, and smoked salmon; deviled eggs topped with caviar; mushrooms stuffed with corn, cilantro, peppers and Asiago cheese; cajun chicken, shrimp, roasted vegetable and ham and cheddar cheese smoked turkey pinwheels). Everything was delicious! The wedding and reception were both held in the 2,800 beautifully decorated Cora Lily Ballroom, which had plenty of room for the ceremony at one end and dinner/dancing at the other. Dinner following the ceremony was equally as delicious as Friday night's cocktail party food. We chose the chardonnay chicken and beef bourguignon for entrees, and garlic mashed potatoes, and zucchini stuffed with asparagus and julienne carrots. Breakfast was included for Friday and Saturday night guests (scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, bacon, sausage, blueberry pancakes, an assortment of fresh fruit, cereal, coffee and tea). All yummy! Overall I would rate my experience as exceptional. Mr. Hurley and his staff are friendly and accommodating. I cannot thank them enough for everything they did to help my mother and me with the wedding. I highly recommend PWH to anybody looking for a beautiful setting for a wedding or any other type of celebration. My heartfelt thanks to Mr. Joel Hurley, Mr. Brian Stillwaugh, and all the other PWH staffers for making my wedding such a beautiful day. Sincerely, Lauren and William Atkins

Great Place for a wedding, the reception and accommodations for guests

Reviewed on 12/29/2013 Catherine E

We were married at the Preston Woodall House on 10/12/13. We bought the entire weekend package that included rental of the three houses that surround the PWH. Our out of town guests and wedding party stayed the entire weekend and could not have asked for better accommodations.... Read More The wedding was gorgeous and the food delicious. Chef Brian is the bomb. The staff were very attentive and a pleasure to work with. Owner, Joel Hurley was also my wedding planner and my director and all I can say is it wouldn't have been as wonderful as it was without his help and guidance. PWH is the best place to have your wedding and reception.

Joel S. Hurley

Joel Hurley, Owner and General Manager of Preston Woodall House, is a seasoned veteran in hospitality, weddings and event services. Opening the Preston Woodall House in 2000, Joel leads the team at Preston Woodall, including overseeing the day-to-day management and operations of the bed &amp; breakfast. He has played an instrumental role in the venue earning prestigious accolades, such as inclusion in the Best of Weddings – TheKnot, as well as WeddingWire.com&#39;s Brides Choice Award. He has designed, directed and helped plan hundreds of events at Preston Woodall, as well as across North Carolina, an