Rare Bird Brides Bridal Hair & Makeup

Carlsbad, San Diego

Beauty Group Bookings, Hair + Makeup Trials Available, Hair Stylists, Airbrushed Makeup, Eyelash Extensions, Makeup, Makeup Artists, On-Site Hair + Makeup, Waxing, Beauty

CARLSBAD, CA Carlsbad, San Diego (760) 277-3713

Reviewed on 1/24/2017 Jordan D

Kristen was the best decision I made regarding the wedding! She is very knowledgeable about hair and makeup and her work for both are an absolute dream. I wanted a natural look for my makeup and she was able to make sure that I had the look I wanted and that it would last all... Read More night long and look fabulous in pictures!! Initially, I thought that I wanted my hair to be down but after my hair trial, Kristen helped me to realize that having my hair up might be the better option because of my type of hair. She was nice enough to do ANOTHER hair trial and try my hair up and I am so happy that we did because it was a game changer. I had a bad experience with an updo and was nervous but Kristen's work is very elegant and creative. She hit it out of the park for both my hair and my makeup! She also did my makeup for my boudoir photo shoot that I did. She has the ability to do any look that you want and make you feel comfortable throughout the entire process. Her work is versatile and I really think that she can do whatever a bride wants with no hesitation. The other thing that I was really worried about was my mom's makeup. She is VERY natural and almost never wears any makeup. She was super nervous about wearing any makeup but Kristen's assistant Chelsea made her feel comfortable immedietly. My mom looked so beautiful and I know that she felt beautiful as well. It was very important to me that my mom had a good experience and liked her makeup and that was easily accomplished by the Rare Bird Brides team. You will not regret hiring Kristen and her amazing talent! Thank you Rare Bird Brides!!

Reviewed on 11/30/2016 Melissa Y

Kristen did an amazing job on hair and make-up at our wedding last month. I showed her pictures of what I liked and told her I like a natural look, and she knew just what to do. She is very talented and professional. My make-up and hair lasted all night long. I highly recommend... Read More Rare Bird Brides!

Reviewed on 11/11/2016 Ariana M

Best hair and make-up artist every! Kristen did a fabulous job on everyone’s hair and makeup and I couldn’t have been better! She made everyone feel absolutely beautiful and comfortable! Kristen was such a kind, fun, and super talented and informative about everything she was... Read More using! If I could hire her to do my hair and makeup for the rest of my life, I would! Thank you so so so much for making my wedding perfect! Not only did she make my wedding day perfect, she was amazing to communicate and plan out the details months and days before the wedding! I would recommend her to any and all friends and family! Thank you, Kristen!!!

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Cassie D

I absolutely LOVED my hair and makeup on my wedding day!! Kristen and her team did an amazing job. During my trial session, I showed Kristen some ideas of what I wanted for my wedding, and she exceeded all my expectations. I felt so beautiful on my special day. My hair and... Read More makeup look amazing in ALL my pictures. She is so reasonably priced. I would recommend her to anyone in need of getting their hair and makeup done! My little sister even reached out to me and asked me for Kristen's information to see if she was available to do her hair and makeup for prom. Make sure you book her, but do it quick because she books up fast- because she is THAT great!

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Cassie D

Reviewed on 5/23/2016 Liezel E

Kristen did an amazing job on my hair and makeup for my 1/30/2016 wedding. She also did hair and makeup for a few bridesmaids and my mom and they were all happy with their looks. Kristen is an absolute professional. She made me feel comfortable at my trial and she nailed the... Read More hairstyle I wanted on the first try. She was very responsive through email and phone calls. My mom was very concerned with her short hair and had tons of questions about her look. She called Kristen the week of and thankfully Kristen was able to put my mom at ease. She arrived promptly on the day of and even cut my bangs since I didn't get a chance to get a trim. I appreciate that she would check on how I was feeling and made me feel amazing on my big day. I highly recommend Kristen and her team, thank you so much!

Reviewed on 3/31/2016 Catie M

Stop what you are doing right now and book them! I found Kristen and her crew while on The Knot and sent them a quick email asking for more info. They got back to me quickly and were very informative. At the trial Kristen was professional and was able to give me the bridal look... Read More I have always envisioned. The morning of the wedding the crew of 3 were on time and stuck to their schedule. I was in awe of how well the makeup and hair turned out! They did 7 bridesmaids, MOB, and 2 squirmy flower girls and myself. Thank you for taking the look I had in mind and making it a reality! If you are looking for someone to take all of the stress away and give you a beautiful look, Kristen is your person!

Reviewed on 3/01/2016 Carina O

Kristen did my hair and make-up for my September 12, 2016 wedding, my engagement shoot, and my boudoir shoot. She is so talented and amazing to work with. I had so many compliments on her work. I would definitely work with her in the future and recommend her!

Reviewed on 12/09/2015 Brooke J

Kristen has a gift of making someone feel on top of the world. I live in Arizona, but was getting married in Carlsbad. I was worried about finding the perfect make up artist and hair stylist for the right price. I contacted her on a Friday night, she immediately called me back... Read More and sent me the contract before our wedding date was taken. Kristen went out of her way for me and I'm forever grateful. She literally made my bridesmaids, mother of the groom, mother of the bride and myself feel absolutely stunning. I have melasma and was very concerned about how I would look on my wedding day. The airbrush makeup looked and felt so natural. I look back at pictures and think I looked absolutely beautiful- thanks to Kristen! She was such a professional and listened to everything I had to say. I would highly recommend her!!

Skilled, friendly, & professional

Reviewed on 11/21/2015 Megan H

Kristen did mine and my mom's hair and makeup for my wedding day. From the start, Kristen was very responsive. She replied to my email inquiry with her rates and availability right away. I had a trial with Kristen and she listened to my vision and made subtle changes until I was... Read More totally confident with the look. I told Kristen I wanted a natural look and wanted to feel like myself. She helped me do just that! I love that Kristen does both hair and makeup. On my wedding day, Kristen was prompt, arriving early in fact. Kristen does trials from her home studio in Carlsbad, but travels to you for the day-of. Kristen was professional but friendly and lovely to talk to while she did her work. It was raining and my wedding was outdoors. Kristen was in high spirits and very sweet reassuring me the forecast would clear up for the ceremony. (And it did!) My bridesmaid who was recently married and got ready in my suite while Kristen was at work, regretted not booking Kristen for her wedding! In the end, I loved my wedding day hair and makeup. I felt gorgeous and confident. I have very straight hair and the curls held up through the entire reception (though they did relax some as expected). And the makeup photographed beautifully! I would highly recommend Kristen!

Reviewed on 11/09/2015 Kristin H

Kristen did my hair and makeup for my October 17th wedding. From the very beginning working with her was amazing. She was super responsive, and I felt like she really listened and understood what I wanted to look like on my big day. The trial with Kristen was amazing. I just... Read More brought some photos on my phone and she nailed it on the 1st try. On my wedding day she made me feel extremely beautiful, and has a calming personality that is so wonderful when there's so much going on around you! The weather on the big day was a bit humid, so we debated doing it up instead of down - but ultimately she said she wanted me to be 100% happy with the look. I decided to keep it down, and though some curls came out, I was amazed how well it held up through the event and dancing! I would highly recommend Kristen to any brides-to-be looking for a hair and makeup artist. Her prices are competitive, she's extremely professional, and above all wildly talented.

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 Christina S

I would highly recommend Kristen for your bridal hair/makeup!! I had her do my engagement hair and makeup and it looked absolutely beautiful so I decided to hire her for hair/makeup for myself and my wedding party. Everyone was so happy with their hair/makeup and it looked so... Read More gorgeous all day long. She does airbrush which will make you look amazing the whole day without having to worry about re-applying makeup. She really listens to what you want and does such an amazing job. She is such a sweet person and was so flexible in working around some scheduling conflicts for my family members. She is awesome - definitely recommend hiring her for your next event!

Beautiful, long-lasting Make-up!

Reviewed on 10/23/2015 Jennifer B

I highly recomend working with Kristen from Rare Birds Brides if you're looking for a tried and true professional who will listen to what you want. After my trial with Kristen there were a few small things I wanted to adjust and she was so great about honoring my feedback and... Read More coming prepared on my wedding day to make sure I was satisfied in every way. Not only did she do my make-up flawlessly (I got complements ALL night) but I had 8 others get makeup services as well and all looks stunning. She was great at communicating the schedule prior to the wedding and being proactive about making sure she and her assistant had enough time to give each girl the attention they needed. The airbrush make-up was a great decision for the wedding day. Even after sweating in the sun for pictures and dancing up a storm at the reception my make-up stayed looking fresh. I would highly recommend using her talent.

Amazing Service / Flawless Beauty

Reviewed on 10/06/2015

Working with Kristen was amazing. She went above and beyond to communicate with me; helped ease my stress and was very professional. She seemed more like a helpful friend than a vendor and was very easy to discuss ideas or concerns with. Her work, and the work of her assistant,... Read More on the day of was flawless. We all looked gorgeous, the hair and make-up lasted through the night and they were fast and efficient. I could not have asked for a better hair and make up team! :)

Nailed the natural look!

Reviewed on 10/03/2015 M'Daya M

I absolutely loved Kristen! I was definitely not an easy bride to do hair and makeup for, primarily because I never wear makeup and wanted to look as natural as possible on my wedding day. Kristen was incredibly patient with me and even did two trials to make sure we were on... Read More the same page for the wedding. She is so calm and sweet and just has a great energy to be around- I felt comfortable immediately with her! It also helped that she plays super chill music and is fun and interesting to chat with. She's just the type of person you immediately want to become friends with, which makes sitting in her chair for a few hours painless! On the day of my wedding she nailed the "natural" look. I felt beautiful, and more importantly felt like I looked like myself. My mother and now husband who are super-critical of too much makeup were even very complimentary of her work! She also did my hair which was a bit covered by my floral crown, but everything held up for the entire day and night and I was thrilled. I would recommend her in a heartbeat. She also did hair and makeup for about 7 women from my bridal party (including my mom and aunt) and they were very pleased and they looked great (unfortunately I don't have any great pics to share). Her timing for everything was impeccable on the day of, especially considering she did it all herself and even squeezed in some extra makeup for my aunt! Thank you Kristen! I finally got our wedding pictures back so that I could post a review and some pics :)

Reviewed on 8/14/2015 Liana C

Kristen did hair and make-up for me, the bridesmaids, and mom's last July. She is very easy to talk to and fun to be around :) She helped me figure out how I wanted my hair and make-up to look, and really listened to what I wanted in a trial. We repeated that look very... Read More quickly the day of. We did airbrush make-up and I wore flowers in my hair. My hair (and flowers) and make-up made it through a few rounds of tears, a thunderstorm, and lively dancing! We also really liked her assistant. The bridesmaids and moms looked beautiful as well. She also has very reasonable prices.

Great Hair and Makeup!

Reviewed on 6/07/2015 kym c

Kristen and I did a trial together and at first, I wasn't sure if I liked the style of my hair, so she was flexible and did my hair 8 different ways!!! On my wedding day, I changed the plan that we had and wanted to do an Old Hollywood themed hairstyle with finger waves, and... Read More she was totally on board and made me look amazing. I would recommend her!!

Reviewed on 5/05/2015

Kristen was outstanding! She did my makeup and hair for my wedding day and I felt more beautiful that I ever have before. My hair and makeup held up throughout my tears of joy, sweaty dancing and cake smashing. She was professional, on-time, understanding toward my concerns (I... Read More was afraid I was going to cry my makeup off...) and efficient. She spent a lot of time making sure that I was perfect for my big day. She couldn't have done anything better. I will recommend her to family, friends or anyone with a special occasion. Thank you Kristen!

Best decision I Made

Reviewed on 4/30/2015

Honestly I was on the fence about hiring someone do to my make-up. I figured I could buy my own make-up and do it myself for a lot less, and then I'd go somewhere to get my hair done. I'm SO glad that I didn't do that and that I went with Kristen of Rare Bird Brides. I went... Read More with her after thinking about the logistics of driving some place to get my hair done, (and what if I did my make-up and it didn't turn out right)...when I found out that Kristen was able to come to me AND had airbrush make-up for a really good price compared to other places I researched, I was sold. On top of that she had really great reviews. I did the hair and make-up trial (another thing I thought initially that wasn't necessary) I'm SOOO glad I did. Kristen worked with me to get the look perfect and did it EXACTLY the same on my wedding day so I knew what I'd look like and didnt have to worry. and the hair and make-up stayed perfect the entire day and into the evening! (that's not something that even department store make-up can withstand) Think about the money you spend on photographs...what if your hair and make-up look bad? Not only will you not like you pictures but more importantly you are going to walk down the isle self-conscious and thinking about how your hair/make-up went wrong. You do not want to have a bad-hair day on the most important day of your life. I knew I was in good hands with Kristen and was able to focus on my future husband as I walked down the isle- and was so happy and confident that it just showed in all of the wedding pictures. Thank you for making me look and feel beautiful! (My husband thanks you too! - I left his speechless on the alter!)

Rare birds

Reviewed on 2/08/2015 eunice s

I found Kristen Martin in the knot. She did makeup for me and my wedding party. My hair and make up was exactly how I wanted it. My bridesmaid loved their hair and make up and my flower girl was so adorable. I highly recommend Kristen

Kristen is AMAZING: You won't regret

Reviewed on 11/01/2014 Frank R

I am a very selective person and I was no different when it came time to planning my wedding! I had a pinterest board for almost every facet of my wedding and of course wanted everything to be perfect. I work in marketing for a well known cosmetics company so when it came time... Read More for me to find someone to do my hair and makeup for my wedding, the search was on. I met with several different artists and searched websites high and low. I can tell you that Kristen is SO GOOD at what she does. Coming from a picky bride—you will not go wrong choosing her. She has so much integrity in her work and was one of the most professional vendors my husband and I had as part of our team. She is a good listener, offers up suggestions and feedback and is such a doll. She is very easy going, and trust me, you want someone like that by your side on your big day. Kristen is so good at what she does, and she is now my primary hair dresser and colors my hair on the regular. Her prices are also extremely fair and are perfect for someone who doesn’t want to pay an arm and a leg. I should also note that Kristen did my mother’s hair and makeup, my husband’s mother’s, and also my bridesmaid. Each radiated so much confidence and beauty that day—Kristen listened to what each one wanted and delivered. My mom, who is not a girly girl, and who was extremely hesitant about even wearing mascara, ended up going with the full hair and makeup and it was so touching to hear her say how beautiful she felt. Kristen made sure to address my mom’s makeup concerns with her. If you’re on the fence or if you don’t know much about hair and makeup—I encourage you to give Kristen a call and just talk through your concerns. Also, if you are on the fence about whether to have a professional due your H/MU—don’t be. You will have these pictures for a lifetime and you want to feel like a queen on yoru big day. Make sure to do it right and have it professionally done. You wouldn’t leave photography to a novice, and you certainly do not want to leave your H/MU to one either!

I Love Kristen!

Reviewed on 11/01/2014 Heather H

I cannot say enough good things about Kristen. She is so friendly, professional, outgoing, and awesome to work with. I got married on October 25th and Kristen did the hair and airbrush makeup for me; my mom; my aunt; and one of my bridesmaids, as well as hair for two more of... Read More my bridesmaids. They all looked beautiful and raved about quickly she was able to do such a great job. I found her through reviews, and I am so happy I listened to those comments. She is so reliable and very talented. During my consultation, Kristen really listened to my visions and took her time to make sure I was more than happy with my look. I initially wanted to wear my hair down, but after attempting the style, I realized it was not what I was looking for. I asked Kristen for her opinion and told her to just do what she thinks would look best on my hair. She created a beautiful, soft updo in minutes and convinced me she was the girl I needed to hire. I put a deposit down that day. She is very easy to communicate with and responds to emails, phone calls and texts very quickly. I found myself talking to her like an old friend rather than someone I had just found through reviews. On my wedding day, Kristen showed up at the hotel we were getting ready at early and set herself up quickly. She finished all the girls by the time set in the timeline and even made accommodations for touch ups. I had my one year old daughter there and had to keep taking breaks to be a mommy, and Kristen was very sweet about the whole thing. She still was able to finish me on time. I absolutely loved my makeup and hair, and I got so many compliments throughout the night. I cannot recommend Kristen enough and would hire her again and again. She is very reasonably priced compared to her competition and worth every penny. Your wedding day is the one day you want to feel beautiful and perfect. Kristen will make sure you feel that way.

What Are You Waiting For?!

Reviewed on 10/29/2014 Jennifer B

Okay, so you're looking for someone to do your hair and make up for your big day. Are you still on the fence wondering if you should spend the extra money to have someone do your hair and make up? I get it. I was the same way. But watching the extra YouTube make up tutorials... Read More will not do you justice, let's be honest with ourselves. Do you want to wake up on the day of your wedding worried about someone who does not know what they are doing? No. The questions and hesitation stops here. Kristen at Rare Bird Brides is your answer and solution. I CANNOT praise Kristen enough. I asked Kristen if she would provide services to myself, sister, mother, and bridesmaid. She promptly sent me a quote and answered my nervous bride questions every time I sent her an inquiry. I was astounded by the beauty of her work in her portfolio. She was there every step of the way before my wedding day! My wedding was at 11am and I had to be done at 9:30am. Kristen showed up to my hotel at 4:45am to set up and started at 5:00am. That is some dedication right there! Kristen could not have been more professional, friendly, and talented. She listened to each individual person about how they wanted to look and went right into it. Everyone looked flawless. Then when she did my hair and make up she listened to every request I had and delivered!! Kristen also uses airbrush make up which I HIGHLY recommend. Ladies, it stuck on my face like it was no ones business. It stayed through out the whole day. I did not have to worry about if I was sweating, make up was smearing, etc. I felt like a Disney princess, okay? Who doesn't want that?! Bottom line, email Kristen and feel like a million dollars. She is the best. So worth it. Thank you Kristen!! Jennifer

Loved my wedding day look!

Reviewed on 9/10/2014 Natasha d

I ended up having two trials with Kristen and the first look of hair and make up I had chosen was not something that suited me or my dress. After a discussion with Kirsten we decided on a totally different approach which I absolutely loved and was so thrilled with on the day.... Read More Kirsten was so easy to work with and talk to, giving me advice on what would really suit me and also what was going to last throughout the day. I LOVED the end look. She also did my mothers hair and make up and I have never seen her look more beautiful. After seeing my second hair trial pics one of my bridesmaids decided to get her hair styled with Kristen and it looked amazing. Very happy!

2 am and still looked perfect!

Reviewed on 8/21/2014 Quynh-An P

My wedding was on Saturday and Kristen was so amazing that this is one of the first things I've done with my free time. I need to start by saying that I NEVER wear make up. My idea of putting make up on is slapping some lip gloss and walking out the door...and I only do that for... Read More special occasions. I'm actually a little intimidated by makeup and have avoided it completely. My only condition to wearing makeup was that I wanted it to look natural and I wanted people to recognize me. Kristen went above and beyond and made me look like a more put together self. I told my husband (I can say that now!) that I felt glamorous but I also still felt like myself and he loved what she did too. I had a traditional Vietnamese wedding ceremony in the morning that started at 11 am and a reception that began at 5pm so I needed makeup and hair that would last all day! Add the fact that I needed to fit a traditional vietnamese khan dong and switch it later with a feather fascinator I made AND 90 degrees weather. I was a little worried but Kristen reassured me that it would be perfect. At 2 am when I rolled to my hotel room finally after an epic hot day, multiple outfit changes, lots of dancing...my face was still impeccable and looked almost exactly like it did when Kristen walked out of my house at 1030 am. Thank you, thank you, thank you for putting me at ease and making me look like a more fabulous version of myself!