Sofitel Chicago Water Tower

Bow2008 09

20 East Chestnut Street, Chicago, IL

Beautiful Venue, Great Location, Excellent Food

Reviewed on 1/03/2015 Kristin B

The package for the wedding is incredibly flexible, with different bar and food upgrades depending on how many you are expecting for your wedding. We had decided on this venue because of the flexibility in the package, which included food, bar, your cake, and a bridal suite. It was also right off Michigan avenue, easy to find, with valet parking. The food is customizable, so we were able to incorporate ethnic food that I wanted in the menu, as well as some of our favorite foods from our first date. Since the venue is right off Michigan Avenue, this is the perfect place for guests who are coming in from out of town. The rooms are also beautiful, with many modern touches. The bridal suite was breathtaking, with views of the city. We had many compliments about the venue, the food, and the service. Apart from some things that my day of coordinator had picked up, which will be noted below, my husband and I were very happy to have selected this as our wedding reception venue. Mary Ann Kenmotsu was our first vendor manager, who originally stole my heart and then Melissa Knowles had stepped in. Both are very experienced, although I preferred Mary Ann as she was closest to my personality and taste. Still, Melissa is just as qualified; she was able to pick up just where Mary Ann had left off, which made the transition smooth for all of us. The few things that my day of coordinator had noticed was that Marcella (the other catering manager that took over after Melissa left) was sadly not a very nice or welcoming employee. She had thrown away my throw bouquet, saying that she had left it on the DJ table when in fact it had been on the cake table but did not admit that she had thrown it away. We verified this when we saw this in our wedding photos. (I have worked service before so typically I am not one to be upset unless one does not admit their mistake). Marcella also had allowed hotel guests to come upstairs during the breakdown after the end of the reception. A wandering person, who I am not sure was a hotel guest or not, kept trying to get into our vendor room where my day of coordinator had kept our wedding cards and gifts. Thankfully my day of coordinator had noticed this and kept her associate in the room to make sure our gifts were watched. Other than the above, both myself, my husband, and our guests, were truly happy and amazed at the service and quality of the food and the venue. We got married during Christmas time as well, so the hotel was elaborately decorated for the holidays, helping to add a lovely touch to our florist's creations, who had made Christmas tree greenery with sparkling pinecones (my husband is allergic to flowers so we kept flowers to a minimum with just bouquets for myself, my bridesmaids, and my flower girl). Since the 3rd floor is the dedicated event space, only our wedding was taking place, so when you book the hotel, they dedicate just that space for you and no other wedding takes place. Apart from the person Marcella who works at this venue, overall, the value, the service, and the quality were well worth the money spent.

AWESOME!

Reviewed on 10/28/2014 Andrea Y

The Sofitel is a modern, unique venue in the heart of the city. I was so happy to host my wedding here, since the level of decor and service rival any venue in Chicago...but without the ridiculous prices found at hotels with more well known names (I'm looking at you, Trump & 4Seasons!). They pulled off my event flawlessly, and I couldn't be happier!

Venue

Reviewed on 7/21/2014 Selene D

Amazing amazing amazing view!!

Sofitel Wedding...AVOID THIS PLACE BRIDES

Reviewed on 1/03/2014 Trisha G

I wish I had better things to say about this beautiful hotel. My fiancé and I never thought we would get married in a hotel. However, the Sofitel was chosen in honor of my dad who passed away, as it was his favorite hotel. Things were great in the beginning when we began working with Rachel via email. Rachel moved and we ended up working with Mary Ann. Once we started working with Mary Ann, things were fantastic. She was kind, professional and fun. Things got really bad though. She was only willing to give my florist 30 minutes to set up because they need to have the opportunity to sell the ballroom during the day. Totally makes sense, they want to have that opportunity for another client. However, 30 minutes is not enough time for a wedding. At least an hour should be devoted to a wedding set up if the room gets booked. We asked about this, and were told rudely that we must have picked an in experienced florist. I called my florist and asked her about set up and she was shocked as well. My fiancé and I were stressed, and we spoke with Mary Ann on the phone. She ended up literally screaming at me. It was the most horrible conversation ever. We both were upset, but she completely lost it. I have never worked with someone more unprofessional. I have emails from her saying that she "was disappointed in us" and we "are asking for too much." We also ended up meeting with the general manger, who was nice enough but it appeared as though we were not taken seriously. My fiancé and I have never had such problems. I urge every bride to walk with deep caution should you chose this hotel. Also, on a separate note, they charge everyone for a higher menu price should you offer a food upgrade. It doesn't quite make sense even after they explained it. I called five hotels in the area and no one else does that. Sorry for my rant, but again, just be careful here, and I urge you to look elsewhere.

Perfect Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 11/29/2012 Kim M

The Sofitel was the perfect venue all the way around. Rachel Siegel was SO helpful and made sure everything ran smoothly that day. The entire staff was amazing, helpful and friendly. We couldn't have asked for a better experience overall.

Hotel Sofitel

Reviewed on 9/26/2012 Victoria N

The wedding contact from the Softiel is Michelle. She is amazing and was so helpful with any questions and requests. The grand ballroom is the perfect setting for any chic city wedding!

Best Wedding

Reviewed on 9/04/2012 Lauren P

So I'm partial because it was my own wedding, but the place was fantastic. I can honestly say I walked into the hotel the day of the wedding without a care in the world. I felt so confident that they had everything under control and would take care of everything, and they did not disappoint. Everything was perfect, and every guest has mentioned how spectacular the food was. Best wedding food ever. It was costly, but if you can afford it, it's worth every penny

Excellent

Reviewed on 6/24/2012 pauline s

Everything was wonderful--food, ambiance, space; plus Michelle, our Sofitel coordinator, was on top of things, very honest and helpful from day one. Everything went without a glitch.

6/25/2012 Response from the vendor

Thank you for your kind comments! We are so happy to have been a part of your special day and are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We hope that we were able to provide you with magnifique memories to last... Read Less Read More

excellent!

Reviewed on 6/20/2011 Elizabeth K

the sofitel was an amazing place and i was so pleased with everything they did. all of our guests were raving about the rooms, the service, and especially the food. we were treated so well and i had a great relationship with my contact there. i would highly recommend having your wedding at the sofitel. and ask for rachel!!

Magnifique!!!

Reviewed on 6/10/2011 Jennifer M

That's the Sofitel's motto and they definitely hold true to it! I held my wedding ceremony and reception there a couple weeks ago and every single detail about the planning experience and the wedding was amazing and top notch. Because of the highly organized event staff I was able to plan an entire wedding in 3 months that was absolutely perfect! The entire staff was such a pleasure to work with and the service provided was exceptional. We had many out of town guests stay at the hotel for the weekend and everyone was impressed by their entire experience with their stay and the wedding itself. The hotel is also in a perfect location for out of town guests who want to see the city. The food was definitey a big hit, as well. It was 5 star quality as far as taste and presentation go. The event space was also set up absolutely beautifully, too. The entire wedding was even more than I could have hoped for and I would recommend this venue for anyone who wants a high class, elegant city wedding. I give the Sofitel 5 stars plus!!!

Amazing

Reviewed on 1/08/2011 jennifer b

From the first meeting, we were impressed, Michele the planner was amazing. Any email or phone call was returned sometimes within minutes, questions were always answered and solutions were found, not that there were problems. The actual reception was to die for, the service was second to none and the room was exactly how we had envisioned it. The food was perfect, we are still hearing about how good everything tasted and how much impressed everyone was with the venue. If I had to do it all over I would not change a thing and I certainly would never dream of not having it at the Sofitel, it was a dream come true! ,

Wedding Reception and Ceremony

Reviewed on 12/14/2010 Brittany F

My entire day was beautiful and the service was amazing! Our guests were treated really well. Food was excellent! Hotel was decorated really well! I did not enjoy the planning process though. It was difficult and time consuming to get answers via phone/email but our meetings were productive and nice. Not all of the details made it into the day-of but that might be common.

Magical, as they promised!

Reviewed on 11/28/2010 Marina S

Pros -beautiful banquet room -courtesy to me and my guests was impeccable -easy to accommodate all of our customizations -easy to reach the coordinators, Michelle and Sarah -coordinators made me feel like I was the most important one all the time -I was comped for some mistakes on the part of the hotel -amazing farewell brunch -it's SO WORTH the price. Compared to other hotels in the city, you get an amazing deal here for everything that's included. -food was incredible and all the guests loved every bite -beautiful black marble-ish dance floor -private 3rd floor ballroom and foyer area -fresh flowers in the lobby for your nasal pleasure Cons -Michelle and Sarah forgot a couple of small details so make sure you remind your vendors of any specifics so neither you nor they are surprised by anything -kitchen removed food from some tables before it was finished during a dance set

Fantastic food and venue, but TERRIBLE service

Reviewed on 11/07/2010 Laura R

Michelle, the Director of Catering, honestly made my wedding planning process a nightmare. While we were negotiating the contract, she promptly responded to my emails and phone calls; after the contract was signed, it was a constant struggle to get in touch with her to get my questions answered, to schedule the tasting, etc. She frequently took over a week to respond to a simple email, and she occasionally never returned my email or phone call until I called her a second or third time. I assumed things would get better within the month--or even the week--prior to my wedding, but they actually got even worse. Michelle just could not get it together, and if it weren't for my wedding coordinator's assistance in forcing her to finally get things right, I don't know what would have happened. The actual event was great. Most notably, the food was absolutely incredible; I think almost every one of our guests has raved to us about the food. The same goes for the cake, which was made by Take the Cake. The service by the waiters and other staff was also very good. Thus, if it weren't for Michelle's inability to do her job, I would have had a great experience. But, as it is, when I think back about my experience with the Sofitel, I unfortunately have very negative thoughts. And that's incredibly disappointing, considering it was a major part of the best night of my life.

unbelievable event

Reviewed on 9/16/2010 Bonnie Z

the hotel was magnificent and the food was beyond fantastic

Send Email