The Wedding Of Your Dreams at the Sonnenalp Hotel

The Sonnenalp welcomes you to the heart of Vail Village, a perfect destination for your mountain wedding. The Sonnenalp is conveniently located on Gore Creek, directly across from the Vail Chapel and two blocks from Vail Mountain.

Ballroom, Hotel, Mountain, Restaurant

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Destination Wedding Planning, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning

20 Vail Road, Vail, CO (970) 479-5417

Reviewed on 7/29/2016 jill s

We just hosted our daughters wedding reception at the Sonnenalp Hotel in Vail Village and it was absolutely wonderful. Our daughter left for her Honeymoon saying she would not have changed one single thing and it was everything she had dreamed of. In our opinion the Sonnenalp... Read More is one of the best - if not the best hotel - in the village. It was important to us to have a "room with a view" and not be in a ballroom. We also didn't want to have to worry about the weather so that eliminated any outdoor venues. Ludwig's restaurant at the Sonnenalp fit the bill perfectly . It is a beautiful glass room overlooking the swimming pool and Gore Creek. The bonus is the ceiling slides open so if the evening is beautiful you can leave it open to enjoy the wonderful Colorado air and view the stars. The walls also can be opened to really enjoy the outdoors - all while inside. However, even better than this beautiful restaurant is the exceptional staff that you will work with. Beginning with Amy who is the wedding co-ordinator on property, to Megan who handled our room block, the wonderful front desk staff, the bellman, the bartenders in the Kings Club, the spa attendants and many, many others. Amy is a pure joy to work with and is EXCEPTIONAL at her job. We looked to her for guidance numerous times and she never steered us wrong. We appreciated her honesty when we were discussing different set up and food options. She knows what works well and what doesn't and is always open to new suggestions. Megan handled our guest room block and it was seamless. All of our guests loved their accommodations, check in was easy, and even with several last minute changes and additions it all worked out beautifully. Best of all the hotel handled everything which left me free to do what I needed to do. Our very favorite thing about the Sonnenalp hotel is the way it is managed. It has been family owned since it's inception and the current owners are always around. They treat their employees very well and it definitely shows in the employees attitudes towards the guests. They are all "happy" employees. When we checked out - numerous employees were thanking us for coming and how much they enjoyed being part of the festivities. We really felt like we were leaving family behind. We also held the Bridal Luncheon at the Swiss Chalet on property which was perfect and the Vail Chapel is right across the street. What more could you ask for????? Cost wise the hotel is very comparable to The Lodge, Four Seasons, Austria Haus and other 5 star hotels in the village.

Reviewed on 10/18/2017 Brennan C

I couldn't imagine a more perfect setting than the glass terrace of the Sonnenalp. The hotel event planner was very responsive in helping us plan for the big day. If you have vendors for everything then you will be fine but we did our own flowers. They were delivered a day early... Read More and the hotel left the garland outside the entire day after we asked it to be put in a fridge. If it hadn't been cool outside, it would have burnt up. Other than that, everything went smoothly. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their stay and the wedding was amazing! It was a wonderful wedding weekend. Thank you Sonnenalp!

Reviewed on 10/18/2017 Kelsey S

The Sonnenalp Hotel was our perfect wedding reception venue! Our hope was to host our 200 guests with a cocktail hour after our chapel ceremony followed by a seated dinner and dancing with a band. And we accomplished that with the Sonnenalp! My groom and I are from Dallas, and... Read More were originally worried about planning a destination wedding by ourselves. However, the wedding coordinator at the Sonnenalp made planning our wedding seemless! She answered all of our questions in a timely manner, helped us think through and plan detailed logistics of the day, and even helped us problem solve our floor plan for dinner! On the day of our wedding, she and our month-of wedding coordinator handled all of the vendors and setup, which allowed me to rest and enjoy the day! The Sonnenalp staff was professional, helpful and tended us and our guests with the highest level of quality service. The atmosphere on our wedding day was indescribable. The cocktail hour in the gardens of the hotel was elegant and effortless given the natural beauty of their landscaping and the creek. Dinner in Ludwigs and Bully's Ranch was cozy, warm and and relaxing! We had originally hoped all of our guests could be in one room for dinner, but looking back now, we see that spreading out over two conjoined spaces and multiple rooms made for a more comfortable, noise-controlled dinner. Our wedding party sat at two long tables under an open roof in the terrace, which was quite simply magical. Coming from Texas, hosting our wedding at the Sonnenalp allowed us to enjoy the great outdoors of the Colorado Mountains with our guests, with the security of beautiful facilities that compliments the natural landscape. Our band reception was SO much fun. All of our guests loved dancing under the stars to our amazing band! The Sonnenalp Hotel was hands down the perfect wedding reception venue for us. We highly recommend!

Reviewed on 10/17/2017 Anna B

A truly amazing experience at the Sonnenalp! We had our wedding reception at Ludwig's and were stunned by how beautiful everything was. Amy Lillyquist and her team were true professionals and managed every detail perfectly. We cannot recommend the Sonnenalp enough for creating... Read More our perfect wedding day!

Reviewed on 10/14/2017 Keri S

I had the pleasure of having my wedding ceremony (lawn) and reception (Ludwigs Terrace) at the Sonnenalp Hotel Aug. 2017. The entire venue was a dream. I was planning our wedding from FL and chose the Sonnenalp via photos only. I didn't get to see it until we arrived the... Read More week of our wedding and it was everything and more. From day one it was obvious that Amy had everything handled and under control. she answered every single one of my annoying questions without hesitation. Visually the space is amazing... and every single one of the staff made us feel like we were the only people getting married that week. We are looking forward to spending every anniversary at the Sonnenalp Hotel and I know you won't be disappointed if you choose them to host your wedding/reception :)

Reviewed on 9/26/2017 Morgan W

We had a Welcome Party for our daughter's wedding in Ludwig's Terrace. We had an Oktoberfest theme. It was a perfect venue. They had the glass roof open and it could not have been any better. The food was over the top outstanding, the service was excellent and our event... Read More coordinator, Amy Lilyquist, guided us through every step and was wonderful to work with. It is obvious that the Sonnenalp takes tremendous pride in what they do and it certainly showed at our event. Thank you for everything you did and for helping us to have such a memorable evening.

Reviewed on 9/18/2017 Akane D

Our wedding at the Sonnenalp was perfect, in every way possible. The impeccable property grounds, Michelin level food, service levels of staff and event planning management, are all what a great experience at a hotel of this caliber should live up to and the Sonnenalp did not... Read More fall short. My husband and I grew up outside of Colorado, so the Sonnenalp and Vail were the perfect canvas for our out of town guests. The guests all left with an incredible taste of Colorado and I have the Sonnenalp and Amy Lilyquist, event sales manager, to thank for it all. She brings project management to the next level and as the leader of her staff, did not leave a single detailed unturned. As most brides are, I was incredibly detail oriented, and Amy was a great match for all of my requests. We hired an outside florist, photographer, DJ and guitar player, but other than that Amy and her staff handled all the rest of the details. I would more than happily recommend the Sonnenalp to any bride and groom interested in a wedding in Vail.

Reviewed on 9/08/2017 Jim O

We held my son's rehearsal dinner at Ludwig's Stuberl in the Sonnenalp Hotel. They have a great menu, dinner was fantastic and the service was excellent. We also loved the atmosphere and strongly recommend Amy Lilyquist and her staff at Sonnenalp. It was the perfect start to a... Read More fabulous wedding and we could not have been happier!

Reviewed on 9/06/2017 Trystn E

We loved everything about our reception at Sonnenalp. Amy and the team made the whole process of planning so fun right from the start. When we first met Amy and saw this beautiful venue, we knew it was the right place for us to celebrate! The whole team was so professional and... Read More worked so hard to make the day a dream. My husband and I had our ceremony on the Vail Wedding Deck and then our cocktail and dinner reception at Sonnenalp. After a recent renovation inside of Ludwigs, it is even more beautiful and open now. My favorite parts were all the flowers in bloom on the property and that the weather allowed us to have the glass ceiling open inside of Ludwigs! The food was also delicious, we did the bavarian buffet, and our cake was so beautiful! Thank you Sonnenalp, we can't wait to come back to stay on Sonnenalp and remember our special celebration.

Reviewed on 8/28/2017 Lorraine W

Planning a rehearsal/welcome dinner is not an easy task especially when you live three thousand miles away from the wedding venue. I did my research and decided on The Sonnenalp Hotel. I definitely make the right choice. It could not have been any better. Amy Lilyquist, the... Read More Event Sales Manager was one of the most professional people I've ever dealt with. She returned every call and answered every question candidly and honestly. We tried to keep the number of guests down to 130 but actually wound up with 160 delighted guests. The only thing better than the service was the food. Everything and I mean everything was amazing. The venue was beautiful, with cocktails by the pool and dinner on the terrace. A beautiful setting for a fabulous event.

Reviewed on 8/24/2017 Katya E

I couldn't have dreamt up a more perfect wedding than what we experienced at the Sonnenalp! My husband and I live on the east coast but consider Colorado our happy place and try to go as much as we can. So, naturally my now husband (then fiancé) suggested that we plan our... Read More wedding there. I was excited but totally overwhelmed by the thought of planning a destination wedding. So, my mom and I flew and toured over a dozen venues and nothing was quite right. The Sonnenalp was our last stop, and from the second we walked in and met Amy Lilyquist we knew we had found the perfect place. The atmosphere of the hotel felt warm, yet very luxurious, and the venues for the various events were exquisite, especially the glass enclosed veranda -- the perfect backdrop for our wedding ceremony and reception! Amazing aesthetics aside, I have to give a HUGE thank you to Amy and her wonderful fellow staff. The Sonnenalp provides literally everything for you which was a huge relief for a bride 3000 miles away. I didn't have to hire a separate wedding planner, Amy helped to coordinate my timeline and kept everything running super smoothly. I didn't have to bring in any extra furniture (although you are welcome to), we used everything that the hotel provided us. I booked all my vendors from their preferred vendors list and was thrilled with all of them. All of my friends marveled at how stress free my wedding planning was -- and I admit I owe it all to the wonderful team at the Sonnenalp. Our guests all stayed at the hotel and raved about the rooms, the spa, and most of all the wedding! It was perfection and I would choose it over again 10 out of 10 times!

Reviewed on 7/28/2017 Esmarie F

Recently had my wedding at the Sonnenalp hotel (both ceremony and reception) and it could not have been a more perfect day. The hotel took care of everything so I had zero stress day-of or even leading up to the big event. The ceremony site by the pool is beautiful and makes for... Read More a super convenient way to transition into reception in Ludwig's (after cocktail hour by the pool). The terrace is awesome at night and creates the most romantic setting with twinkle lights and an open sky light. I still have guests sending me texts/cards/emails saying how much fun they had and how it was one of the best wedding's they've ever attended. The attention to detail, service and overall attentiveness of staff can't be beat. I highly recommend it for ceremony and/or reception.

Reviewed on 6/19/2017 Barbara F

This was by far and away the best decision we made in the wedding planning process. We did both our ceremony and reception at the Sonnenalp and could not be more pleased. Amy and the staff at the Sonnenalp pulled out all of the stops to make our wedding day absolutely... Read More perfect. You cannot beat this venue. Our guests are still raving about the rooms, service, and food (we had several guests book additional nights to extend the vacation because of how impressed they were).

Reviewed on 5/12/2017 Lindsay V

I never dreamed of the big white dress or where I wanted to get married – until we got engaged in Vail last fall. We just happened to be staying at the Sonnenalp the same weekend my now husband proposed and where there was a wedding happening. On our flight home to San... Read More Francisco, we reached out to Amy and her team about the possibility of having a wedding at Sonnenalp and from that point forward I knew it was the perfect venue for us. We wanted it to feel 100% Vail and intimate. Amy and her entire staff made our months of planning and wedding a true dream. We planned 99% of the wedding remotely and they were responsive and on top of everything. The weekend of the wedding, they continued their high level of service and all my guests commented how special Sonnenalp was to get married and have a ceremony. From the food to space planning to the extra events (Friday Welcome), they went above and beyond. I tell my friends and family often that I wish I could get married every weekend! Thank you Sonnenalp!

Reviewed on 3/20/2017 Jon S

The Sonnenalp made our wedding the best day of our lives. Everything went off a hitch... I don't think anything could have been improved one bit. Amy was incredible during the entire planning process and without her help there's no way it would have been as big of a success. We... Read More can't wait for the photos to come back, but the already beautiful venue looked even more amazing after some minimalistic decorating. Our guests were amazed. We received nothing but the highest of compliments from our friends and family on how beatuful the venue was and how amazing the service was. The food was delicious as well. Many of these people went on to say it was the best wedding they've ever been to. I couldn't recommend the Sonnenalp any more highly for your special day. Thanks again to the friendly staff who made it perfect and we are looking forward to spending time at The Sonnenalp for many years to come.

Reviewed on 2/09/2017 Kamaris L

My (new)husband and I just got married- or should I say......- had the wedding of our DREAMS at the Sonnenalp in February. Vail has always been a special place for us but the staff at the Sonnenalp went above and beyond to make this night even more so. Amy Lilyquist was so... Read More incredible to work with, always patient, always offering input and feedback where needed, and the day-of she made sure everything ran smoothly. And that's saying a lot, considering my husband and I planned everything long distance from Rhode Island! Breakdown below on why, if you're looking for a fairytale wedding in the mountains, you should book the Sonnenalp now!! Venue: Honestly, that glass covered terrace is the best hall in town. Hands down screams romance any season of the year! (If you're looking for a ceremony location, there's even that too!!) Food: Absolutely incredible selection to choose from. From cocktail hour, to reception buffet, to late-night snacks for our guests, the food was absolutely amazing. Everybody was fed and very very happy. Cake: Need its own category, it's that good. They will work with you to make sure you've got that cake of your dreams. Beverages: Amy really worked with us to make sure that our food and beverage minimum was met the best way possible. For our small wedding, that allowed ample drinks for our guests that carried through from cocktail hour through a lot of the reception. Great drinks! Service: As I mentioned, Alex and I planned this entire thing long distance, yet, we never once felt like our questions didn't get answered. Every detail was covered and they even had a ton of suggested vendors to help get the planning going. The day-of, the staff took care of so many things (setting up the room as discussed, place cards, timing of events, tear down, etc). I HAVE to add that they even had a car service for us to take us, our photographer, and videographer to the gondola for some gorgeous shots (Thank you Spencer!!!!) This was the type of service we got all weekend! Accommodations: If you've never stayed at the Sonnenalp, you should know that the hotel itself is the perfect mix between rustic charm and European elegance right in the heart of town. It is truly a gorgeous and relaxing stay. Our guests really enjoyed that everything was walking distance, especially since half our guests travelled from across the country to celebrate with us. (The Vail Interfaith Chapel is right next door, Cocktail hour was held right in the Kings' Club, and the Reception smoothly followed onto the terrace). **Overall, I cannot say enough amazing things about the Sonnenalp!!! You will not regret pairing up with this amazing venue and staff to have that mountain wedding you've dreamed of.

Reviewed on 1/15/2017 Becca P

INCREDIBLE place for a wedding. We got married in December at the Sonnenalp, and it was absolutely perfect. We worked closely with Amy Lilyquist, who was so organized, helpful, and easy to work with. She was so good that we did not need an outside wedding planner/coordinator.... Read More Our wedding vision was executed flawlessly because of Amy and the entire staff at the Sonnenalp. Aaron was also awesome in helping us choose a great wine selection for our wedding. Finally, our guests LOVED staying at the Sonnenalp for the wedding weekend. The rooms are nice, the spa is great, and the entire staff was SO accommodating and nice to be around. Highly recommend!!

Reviewed on 11/14/2016 Shasta R

We held our winter wedding at the Sonnenalp last December. Brie was amazing to work with. VERY organized, quick to problem solve, quick to respond...she made planning a dream. We loved the Sonnenalp and can't wait to spend an anniversary back there.

Reviewed on 11/06/2016 Stephanie

My now husband and I held our wedding weekend in mid-October 2016 at The Sonnenalp Hotel in Vail. The hotel executed a flawless weekend. Not a single detail was overlooked, thanks to the astute planning of Amy Lilyquist and spot-on execution of the f&b team -- Aaron Bajorek and... Read More Derek the banquet captain. All three days of our celebration - Friday's rehearsal dinner and cocktail reception, Saturday's ceremony & wedding reception and Sunday's farewell brunch were held inside the Terrace Room, Ludwig's, Stueberl Room, King's Club and Bully Ranch. We even got lucky with the weather and held pictures outside near the pool! The food was delicious, the décor was timelessly Vail, and the ambiance was European charming. Exactly as I had desired for my wedding weekend in the Colorado Rockies. I am forever grateful to the hotel, and even Mr. Faessler for helping set tables to ensure a quick-turn from the ceremony to the reception, for delivering a fabulous celebration. Bravo! To the readers looking at The Sonnenalp, this isn't your average hotel banquet room experience. There's not another venue like the Terrace Room with it's floor-t0-ceiling windows and retractable roof to allow in the Colorado air and sunshine. The Sonnenalp delivers a cut-above, and I'm proud to say Mr. Faessler's incredible team - and my generous parents - hosted the wedding of my dreams. Secure this venue if you're interested in working with a genuine and effective team, a first-class experience (even on a budget), and an unforgettable weekend of memories. See you for our first anniversary, Sonnenalp!

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Lou G

If I could give 10 stars, I would. Not only was the venue amazing but the staff is really what made our wedding perfect... Yes, I do mean "perfect." Amy Lilyquist was unbelievably helpful, caring, and proactive. She kept us come through the planning process and never let a... Read More single thing slip the cracks. She picked up the slack from vendors who were less than stellar and was able to deliver everything we asked for and more. In addition to Amy's above and beyond efforts, her staff was attentive to guests, flexible, and always smiling. The venue itself is timeless. Beautiful bavarian decorations and natural wood cloak the entire hotel. It's gorgeous and the ceremony site by the river in the back is peaceful, surreal, and beautiful. We owe the whole day to Amy and her staff and this amazing venue.. We can't thank her enough and I HIGHLY recommend the Sonnenalp for the setting of your perfect wedding.

Reviewed on 9/29/2016 Hillary L

Duane and I could not be happier with Amy and the entire Sonnenalp staff! Our wedding was so seamless, so beautiful and so well thought out all because of their expertise and attention to detail. We cannot thank you all enough for helping us celebrate our love and marriage!... Read More It would have not have been as wonderful without The Sonnenalp!

Reviewed on 9/22/2016 Matt L

We recently had our wedding at the Sonnenalp Hotel in Vail, CO. The weather was amazing and the venue was even better! We had the best help from their wedding coordinator, Amy Lilyquist and all staff members paid attention to every detail so we didn't have to! Our ceremony was... Read More on the lawn by the pool, with poolside cocktail hour after and our reception was in the Grand Bavarian room below Ludwig's restaurant. The evening was amazing we could not have done it without the help of Amy and all the staff at the Sonnenalp!

Reviewed on 9/17/2016 Joey M

AN AMAZING WEDDING, STAFF AND VENUE!!!! CAN"T RECOMMEND THIS VENUE ENOUGH!

Reviewed on 9/12/2016 Kara P

We cannot say enough about how wonderful our experience with The Sonnenalp has been. Every single Sonnenalp staff member we encountered was kind, professional and accommodating. The Event Sales Manager, Amy Lilyquist is phenomenal. She is highly organized and very knowledgable... Read More when it comes to what works and what maybe doesn't work so well when putting on a nice event for a large group. She listened to our needs and made suggestions when necessary. The customer service at The Sonnenalp is unbeatable. Our guests were so happy with their accommodations and we have received multiple compliments on the beautiful venue and friendly staff. Our wedding day exceeded our wildest dreams thanks in large part to The Sonnenalp. Thank you!!

Reviewed on 9/08/2016 Ilene W

Amy Lilyquist at the Sonnenalp was fantastic. She is extremely organized and cares that your wedding day goes as planned. The hotel and the setting a lovely. The food is top-notch as well. Feels like you are in Europe.

Meet The Manager

Amy Lilyquist

The Sonnenalp’s own wedding consultant, Amy Lilyquist, will help you create the perfect Vail wedding. Amy's experiences range from simple small weddings to large, formal weddings, and her expertise will ensure that your Vail wedding is memorable, unique, and fresh.