The Wedding Of Your Dreams at the Sonnenalp Hotel

The Sonnenalp welcomes you to the heart of Vail Village, a perfect destination for your mountain wedding. The Sonnenalp is conveniently located on Gore Creek, directly across from the Vail Chapel and two blocks from Vail Mountain.

Ballroom, Hotel, Mountain, Restaurant

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Destination Wedding Planning, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning

20 Vail Road, Vail, CO (970) 479-5417

Reviewed on 7/29/2016 jill s

We just hosted our daughters wedding reception at the Sonnenalp Hotel in Vail Village and it was absolutely wonderful. Our daughter left for her Honeymoon saying she would not have changed one single thing and it was everything she had dreamed of. In our opinion the Sonnenalp... Read More is one of the best - if not the best hotel - in the village. It was important to us to have a "room with a view" and not be in a ballroom. We also didn't want to have to worry about the weather so that eliminated any outdoor venues. Ludwig's restaurant at the Sonnenalp fit the bill perfectly . It is a beautiful glass room overlooking the swimming pool and Gore Creek. The bonus is the ceiling slides open so if the evening is beautiful you can leave it open to enjoy the wonderful Colorado air and view the stars. The walls also can be opened to really enjoy the outdoors - all while inside. However, even better than this beautiful restaurant is the exceptional staff that you will work with. Beginning with Amy who is the wedding co-ordinator on property, to Megan who handled our room block, the wonderful front desk staff, the bellman, the bartenders in the Kings Club, the spa attendants and many, many others. Amy is a pure joy to work with and is EXCEPTIONAL at her job. We looked to her for guidance numerous times and she never steered us wrong. We appreciated her honesty when we were discussing different set up and food options. She knows what works well and what doesn't and is always open to new suggestions. Megan handled our guest room block and it was seamless. All of our guests loved their accommodations, check in was easy, and even with several last minute changes and additions it all worked out beautifully. Best of all the hotel handled everything which left me free to do what I needed to do. Our very favorite thing about the Sonnenalp hotel is the way it is managed. It has been family owned since it's inception and the current owners are always around. They treat their employees very well and it definitely shows in the employees attitudes towards the guests. They are all "happy" employees. When we checked out - numerous employees were thanking us for coming and how much they enjoyed being part of the festivities. We really felt like we were leaving family behind. We also held the Bridal Luncheon at the Swiss Chalet on property which was perfect and the Vail Chapel is right across the street. What more could you ask for????? Cost wise the hotel is very comparable to The Lodge, Four Seasons, Austria Haus and other 5 star hotels in the village.

Reviewed on 8/25/2016 Ryan C

Where do I begin? We chose the Sonnenalp for our reception, farewell brunch and for our stay while in Vail this last week and everything was perfection! Checking into the hotel with the warm welcoming front desk staff, the extremely helpful and friendly valet and bell staff,... Read More the amazingly talented lounge bartenders, the spa staff who did an excellent job and made us feel at home, the amazing chef who handled our appetizers, dinner, amazing cakes and delicious brunch, and everyone else employed at the Sonnenalp give you an experience you will never forget. We hosted our reception in Ludwig's Terrace and it was a Colorado Dream! The weather is always so unpredictable in the summer and it was wonderful to be able have dinner,drinks and dancing under the stars with the windows/roof open in the beautiful glass room, weather permitting :) (we got lucky!) Above all, Amy, the Event Manager was an absolute joy to work with. We initially booked our wedding before Amy even began working at the Sonnenalp, and although we were happy with our initial decision, once Amy took on our account all of my bridal worries went away. She was so warm, friendly and helpful during the entire process and we couldn't have asked for anyone better to handle our special day. I had several guests approach me to comment on how awesome Amy was and how lucky I was as the bride to have someone I could trust. I would come back and do it all over again! I cannot say enough nice things about Amy and how much fun it was to plan our wedding with her. I would HIGHLY recommend Amy and all of the staff at the Sonnenalp for your next event :)

Reviewed on 8/15/2016 Megan S

We chose the Sonnenalp as our recommended hotel for guests and the wedding party as well as for our reception. We could not be happier we went with them for both! The hotel alone is unbelievable with the amount of character designed into each and every room, there's nothing... Read More quite like it in Vail. Not to mention the staff are probably some of the best, they are there to cater every need, it is by far our favorite hotel in the Vail area. As for the reception, we worked with Amy to organize everything and it could not have gone smoother. Amy and the staff were so kind, calm and extremely responsive. They made our lives very easy during the entire planning process and the weekend of. We are still getting compliments to this day at how beautiful and well organized it was. All of our guests were traveling to Colorado from out of state so we did not want to host the reception in a standard ball room where you can't enjoy the mountain views and natural scenery, this is what led us to the Sonnenalp. We held a cocktail hour on the pool deck in July and nothing can beat their flowers or the flowing creek, we then moved into Ludwigs for the reception and it was truly magical. Everything went accordingly, the food and drinks were delicious, the band or any vendors ran into no problems with the venue. We would not have changed a thing about the reception and would highly recommend the Sonnenalp to anyone getting married in the Vail area.

Reviewed on 2/09/2017 Kamaris L

My (new)husband and I just got married- or should I say......- had the wedding of our DREAMS at the Sonnenalp in February. Vail has always been a special place for us but the staff at the Sonnenalp went above and beyond to make this night even more so. Amy Lilyquist was so... Read More incredible to work with, always patient, always offering input and feedback where needed, and the day-of she made sure everything ran smoothly. And that's saying a lot, considering my husband and I planned everything long distance from Rhode Island! Breakdown below on why, if you're looking for a fairytale wedding in the mountains, you should book the Sonnenalp now!! Venue: Honestly, that glass covered terrace is the best hall in town. Hands down screams romance any season of the year! (If you're looking for a ceremony location, there's even that too!!) Food: Absolutely incredible selection to choose from. From cocktail hour, to reception buffet, to late-night snacks for our guests, the food was absolutely amazing. Everybody was fed and very very happy. Cake: Need its own category, it's that good. They will work with you to make sure you've got that cake of your dreams. Beverages: Amy really worked with us to make sure that our food and beverage minimum was met the best way possible. For our small wedding, that allowed ample drinks for our guests that carried through from cocktail hour through a lot of the reception. Great drinks! Service: As I mentioned, Alex and I planned this entire thing long distance, yet, we never once felt like our questions didn't get answered. Every detail was covered and they even had a ton of suggested vendors to help get the planning going. The day-of, the staff took care of so many things (setting up the room as discussed, place cards, timing of events, tear down, etc). I HAVE to add that they even had a car service for us to take us, our photographer, and videographer to the gondola for some gorgeous shots (Thank you Spencer!!!!) This was the type of service we got all weekend! Accommodations: If you've never stayed at the Sonnenalp, you should know that the hotel itself is the perfect mix between rustic charm and European elegance right in the heart of town. It is truly a gorgeous and relaxing stay. Our guests really enjoyed that everything was walking distance, especially since half our guests travelled from across the country to celebrate with us. (The Vail Interfaith Chapel is right next door, Cocktail hour was held right in the Kings' Club, and the Reception smoothly followed onto the terrace). **Overall, I cannot say enough amazing things about the Sonnenalp!!! You will not regret pairing up with this amazing venue and staff to have that mountain wedding you've dreamed of.

Reviewed on 1/15/2017 Becca P

INCREDIBLE place for a wedding. We got married in December at the Sonnenalp, and it was absolutely perfect. We worked closely with Amy Lilyquist, who was so organized, helpful, and easy to work with. She was so good that we did not need an outside wedding planner/coordinator.... Read More Our wedding vision was executed flawlessly because of Amy and the entire staff at the Sonnenalp. Aaron was also awesome in helping us choose a great wine selection for our wedding. Finally, our guests LOVED staying at the Sonnenalp for the wedding weekend. The rooms are nice, the spa is great, and the entire staff was SO accommodating and nice to be around. Highly recommend!!

Reviewed on 11/14/2016 Shasta R

We held our winter wedding at the Sonnenalp last December. Brie was amazing to work with. VERY organized, quick to problem solve, quick to respond...she made planning a dream. We loved the Sonnenalp and can't wait to spend an anniversary back there.

Reviewed on 11/06/2016 Stephanie

My now husband and I held our wedding weekend in mid-October 2016 at The Sonnenalp Hotel in Vail. The hotel executed a flawless weekend. Not a single detail was overlooked, thanks to the astute planning of Amy Lilyquist and spot-on execution of the f&b team -- Aaron Bajorek and... Read More Derek the banquet captain. All three days of our celebration - Friday's rehearsal dinner and cocktail reception, Saturday's ceremony & wedding reception and Sunday's farewell brunch were held inside the Terrace Room, Ludwig's, Stueberl Room, King's Club and Bully Ranch. We even got lucky with the weather and held pictures outside near the pool! The food was delicious, the décor was timelessly Vail, and the ambiance was European charming. Exactly as I had desired for my wedding weekend in the Colorado Rockies. I am forever grateful to the hotel, and even Mr. Faessler for helping set tables to ensure a quick-turn from the ceremony to the reception, for delivering a fabulous celebration. Bravo! To the readers looking at The Sonnenalp, this isn't your average hotel banquet room experience. There's not another venue like the Terrace Room with it's floor-t0-ceiling windows and retractable roof to allow in the Colorado air and sunshine. The Sonnenalp delivers a cut-above, and I'm proud to say Mr. Faessler's incredible team - and my generous parents - hosted the wedding of my dreams. Secure this venue if you're interested in working with a genuine and effective team, a first-class experience (even on a budget), and an unforgettable weekend of memories. See you for our first anniversary, Sonnenalp!

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Lou G

If I could give 10 stars, I would. Not only was the venue amazing but the staff is really what made our wedding perfect... Yes, I do mean "perfect." Amy Lilyquist was unbelievably helpful, caring, and proactive. She kept us come through the planning process and never let a... Read More single thing slip the cracks. She picked up the slack from vendors who were less than stellar and was able to deliver everything we asked for and more. In addition to Amy's above and beyond efforts, her staff was attentive to guests, flexible, and always smiling. The venue itself is timeless. Beautiful bavarian decorations and natural wood cloak the entire hotel. It's gorgeous and the ceremony site by the river in the back is peaceful, surreal, and beautiful. We owe the whole day to Amy and her staff and this amazing venue.. We can't thank her enough and I HIGHLY recommend the Sonnenalp for the setting of your perfect wedding.

Reviewed on 9/29/2016 Hillary L

Duane and I could not be happier with Amy and the entire Sonnenalp staff! Our wedding was so seamless, so beautiful and so well thought out all because of their expertise and attention to detail. We cannot thank you all enough for helping us celebrate our love and marriage!... Read More It would have not have been as wonderful without The Sonnenalp!

Reviewed on 9/22/2016 Matt L

We recently had our wedding at the Sonnenalp Hotel in Vail, CO. The weather was amazing and the venue was even better! We had the best help from their wedding coordinator, Amy Lilyquist and all staff members paid attention to every detail so we didn't have to! Our ceremony was... Read More on the lawn by the pool, with poolside cocktail hour after and our reception was in the Grand Bavarian room below Ludwig's restaurant. The evening was amazing we could not have done it without the help of Amy and all the staff at the Sonnenalp!

Reviewed on 9/17/2016 Joey M

AN AMAZING WEDDING, STAFF AND VENUE!!!! CAN"T RECOMMEND THIS VENUE ENOUGH!

Reviewed on 9/12/2016 Kara P

We cannot say enough about how wonderful our experience with The Sonnenalp has been. Every single Sonnenalp staff member we encountered was kind, professional and accommodating. The Event Sales Manager, Amy Lilyquist is phenomenal. She is highly organized and very knowledgable... Read More when it comes to what works and what maybe doesn't work so well when putting on a nice event for a large group. She listened to our needs and made suggestions when necessary. The customer service at The Sonnenalp is unbeatable. Our guests were so happy with their accommodations and we have received multiple compliments on the beautiful venue and friendly staff. Our wedding day exceeded our wildest dreams thanks in large part to The Sonnenalp. Thank you!!

Reviewed on 9/08/2016 Ilene W

Amy Lilyquist at the Sonnenalp was fantastic. She is extremely organized and cares that your wedding day goes as planned. The hotel and the setting a lovely. The food is top-notch as well. Feels like you are in Europe.

Reviewed on 9/08/2016 Alise F

When we began looking for wedding venues, the Sonnenalp was top of mind, as I had spent many Mother's Day brunches and family weekend trips there and we always had a great experience. So, when we got the opportunity to have our wedding there, I was extremely excited. What can I... Read More say? I was blown away. Everything that the Sonnenalp promised, they delivered ten fold. We had the absolute pleasure of working with Amy Liliquist, who was extremely attentive and responsive on the months, weeks, and days leading up to the wedding and answered every question and concern I had with ease and offered up advice when I needed it. Amy is extremely detail oriented and so easy to work with, not to mention just the sweetest person. On the day of, Amy was unbelievable. I asked her to set up picture frames, escort cards, toasting flutes, and many other little details the way that I envisioned and she made the ceremony and reception look better than I could have ever asked for. Prior to the ceremony I saw Amy and the rest of the Sonnenalp team meticulously setting up the ceremony and reception areas and every single person was working hard to make the day perfect. Amy and her team are so observant that, at one point, I was told the groomsmen were talking about how chapped their lips were and one of the staff members came over and gave them chapstick. Additionally, the food and drinks were fantastic (as always) and the venue (both the ceremony lawn next to Gore Creek and Ludwig's) is unbelievably beautiful. People couldn't stop telling us how it was the best wedding they've ever been to. Honestly, I wouldn't have changed a single thing about the day and I know that I have Amy and the rest of the wonderful staff at the Sonnenalp to thank for helping to make the day more than I had dreamed of. I can't thank you enough!!

Reviewed on 9/04/2016 Lizzy B

Best decision we could have made! Amy and the staff at the Sonnenalp were exceptionally helpful, friendly, professional and made our lives so much easier by taking care of all of the details and leaving the drinking and dancing to us. So many options to choose from regarding... Read More venue locations (we used three different spaces throughout the property) and the food, tables, chairs, linens, alcohol, etc was all provided by the hotel. Certainly made logistics a lot easier! Best day of our lives!

Reviewed on 8/11/2016 Elizabeth T

I used the Sonnenalp Hotel for my wedding reception and Sunday brunch and absolutely glad I did. Working with the Sonnenalp staff was great from beginning to end. I live in Oklahoma so most of my planning was done via phone calls and emails with only a couple in person visits.... Read More During my limited in person visits Amy always made sure that they were organized and stayed on task. My reception was amazing and I know a large reason was do to the hotel staff. The food was delivered in a timely manner and was amazing and glasses were always full. Then the wedding and grooms cake design was even better than I had dreamed. Having the ability to open Ludwigs completely gave us the chance to have an outside reception without having to worry about any weather issues. The next morning we had a brunch which was also great. The food was again amazing and no one left hungry. I would highly recommend the Sonnenalp Hotel for either your wedding and/or your reception. You won't find a better staff in the Vail Valley.

Reviewed on 8/11/2016

As the parents of the groom we hosted a welcome party on Friday night for all of the wedding guests who would be in town attending our son and future daughter-in-law's wedding the following evening. My favorite room in Vail is the Terrace in the Sonnenalp Hotel because the... Read More ceiling and three sides are enclosed in glass and can be opened up weather permitting. Because it was such a lovely evening, the roof and all the sliding glass doors were open to the beautiful Colorado alpine environment. Guests sat at tables on the patio next to Gore Creek or inside the lovely room which was decorated in the blue and white colors of Bavaria, Germany. We decided on an Oktoberfest theme and the pastry chef even made heart shaped Oktoberfest cookies with the names of the bride and groom on them. Everyone commented on how delicious all the food was. Amy was so easy to work with, she is very detail oriented and made it fun and stress free. It has always been my dream to host an event in the Terrace room and I will always remember this perfect evening.

The Sonnenalp is a total gem.

Reviewed on 9/18/2015 Sally P

Throughout the entire wedding planning process, we had the pleasure of working with Sarah Brent and Brie Chaloux, wedding consultants/planners. During our initial meeting, Sarah showed genuine desire to have our wedding at the Sonnenalp. From that very first meeting to... Read More interactions after our wedding, I have never felt like we were “just another wedding.” Each wedding is special, and Sarah and Brie make sure you feel that way. Sarah and Brie were absolutely essential to making our wedding reception a success. They are both friendly, intelligent, hardworking individuals who genuinely want you to have the time of your life. They communicate seamlessly with each other and with the bride to make sure every detail is covered. Importantly, Sarah and Brie never let an email or phone call go unreturned. Even those questions I asked a few times? Yup, every time they answered them. Sarah and Brie knew what worked best for the venue and helped us make solid decisions that our guests would enjoy. On the day of the reception, the food and service could not have been better. Since we had our pictures taken during the cocktail hour, I had asked Brie to save some appetizers for me. Thankfully, I did!! The appetizers were delicious and had beautiful presentation. I especially loved the lamb kabobs and buffalo meatball. YUM. Our meal was served hot, and of course, was amazing. I ate everything on my plate. At many weddings, the food can be a disappointment. Not at the Sonnenalp. Also, we asked the Sonnenalp to make us a specialty cocktail. The drink was very well made, and was a refreshing drink to serve to our guests on a hot summer day. As an added bonus, Brie approached me during the reception to inquire whether she could do anything to make my day more special. The Sonnenalp Hotel has a beautiful atmosphere. Hotel staff was courteous, friendly, and helpful throughout the entire wedding weekend. Several of my guests indicated that the hotel had given them an upgrade on their room. I did not want to tell them that they did not receive an upgrade… the rooms are just that amazing! Now, my husband and I have another excuse to stay at the Sonnenalp (especially on our anniversary!). And, as a total bonus, Travel + Leisure magazine in 2015 named the Sonnenalp Hotel as one of the top 100 hotels in the world. What’s not to love about that?!

This girl's dream wedding

Reviewed on 5/27/2013 Jolene V

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't reflect on what is now one of the best and most amazing and memorable days of my life (I know I can speak for my now husband too :) We initally booked our wedding and reception on the Jersey shore but unfortunately the force of nature,... Read More Sandy, destroyed our venue. We had to quickly re-route. After TWO other venues fell through, we had one month to find the perfect spot.... and this is even after our invitations had gone out. We both live in Denver so we thought it would be easiest to plan local. Ryan and I wanted an outdoor wedding but it didn't look like April in the mountains would be promising or dependable. We went "shopping" in Vail because of it's beauty and some other minor reasons but were coming up unlucky. We accidentally stumbled upon the Sonnenalp because we found the quaint little restaurant, The Bully Ranch, when we were starving after a long shopping day and INSTANTLY fell in love. The customer service was supreme and the staff, genuinely caring about our story, contacted the event manager within a day. Within one week, after Sarah and Patricia worked quickly over some details, budgets, desires, etc, we were booked :) There wasn't a time I couldn't contact Sarah or get a quick response and my nerves finally started to settle down. So comes the wedding day... the detail, decorations, coordinating, everything was beyond any of our expectations. Sarah took me under her wing so that I didn't have to think about anything but my friends and family and what I was about to embark upon! Not only was this the most beautiful spot and wedding I could have ever dreamed of, but the glass room where the ceremony and reception were held had a glass ceiling which could be opened. The weather was so perfect and warm, they raised the ceiling and we got our outdoor wedding :) I have never had more fun in my life!!!!!!!! Thank you SO much Sarah, Patricia and Sonnenalp team!!

Amazing Wedding Experience

Reviewed on 7/03/2012 Teresa B

We knew as soon as we met with the planning staff that we would use the Sonnenalp for our venue. We interviewed/visited others in the area and none came close to giving us the same feeling we got from Patricia McNamara at the Sonnenalp. Our guests gave glowing reviews of the... Read More entire resort from the rooms to the restaurants. We held the reception in Ludwigs on a perfect summer night--the room was so beautiful---everything we hoped for. I cannot say enough about how pleased we were with every aspect of The Sonnenalp. We would not hesitate to have another reception here, but we are out of daughters!

Dream Wedding Reception

Reviewed on 1/31/2012 Margaret H

The Sonnenalp was a wonderful place to have a wedding reception. The planning went very smoothly due to a great hotel team. The rooms were beautiful, food was perfect, billing was accurate. I have been involved with 4 other weddings and this one was by far the very best. The... Read More person in charge of assigning rooms made sure everyone was happy with their room and really took the time to place people in the right spot. The management team for banquets went above and beyond. The service was over the top. Secret Garden Florist transformed the downstairs ballroom into a magical place. The glass room were we had cocktails couldn't have been prettier. I would definitely host a reception there again.

Review for Sonnenalp Resort of Vail

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Danielle G

It was in Vail situated right in the Village and the place we had the reception had a roof that opens and the view was breath-taking.;it's worth the money

Meet The Manager

Amy Lilyquist

The Sonnenalp’s own wedding consultant, Amy Lilyquist, will help you create the perfect Vail wedding. Amy's experiences range from simple small weddings to large, formal weddings, and her expertise will ensure that your Vail wedding is memorable, unique, and fresh.

Start a Conversation!