Sweetwater Portraits by Julie Melton

Wedding

Destination Weddings, Photo

755 S 3rd St, Philadelphia, PA

Reviewed on 9/18/2016 Kate C

Julie and Dutch are phenomenal! They are masters of their craft. We felt so at-ease with them from the moment we first met them. We had a great time during our Engagement Shoot as well, during which they kept us laughing and totally comfortable. The shots turned out great. On... Read More the day of the wedding, they were absolutely perfect. They hung out with us while we were getting ready, taking beautiful pictures, while getting to know the bridal party and our family. These relationships they built made everyone comfortable throughout, so that they could put together a fantastic collection of photos. During the ceremony and reception, we barely even noticed they were there, and yet they captured every candid moment. They’re incredibly talented photographers, and we cannot recommend them highly enough.

Reviewed on 9/13/2016 Jeri B

Julie and Dutch are the absolute best!! It's hard to put into words how much we enjoyed working with them for our wedding. We are so incredibly happy to have had the opportunity to work with such talented and amazing people! Not only are they the best photographers, they are... Read More also the sweetest and nicest people. From the very first time we met Julie and Dutch we knew we wanted to work with them on our wedding day. They invited us into their home and showed us their wonderful work. They always responded to our questions quickly and made us feel so comfortable from the very beginning. We were looking for photographers that would capture the emotions of the day, and Julie and Dutch did this so perfectly. We are absolutely obsessed with every one of our pictures from our wedding day. Julie and Dutch went above and beyond to make our day the best and to capture the moments that were most important to us. Throughout the planning process they truly listened to what we were looking for. When we got the pictures back they took our breath away! We've looked at our pictures so many times and each time we find something new that we love about each of them. Julie and Dutch are amazing to work with leading up to the wedding and they helped make our wedding day so special! During the planning, they gave great suggestions that were so helpful to us. They are experts at what they do! Julie even did a site visit to our venue with us since they hadn't been there before for a wedding. This attention to detail and commitment to getting the absolute best pictures was just one example of Julie and Dutch going above and beyond! Julie also helped us create a wedding timeline that was extremely beneficial to us and our planning! We were so impressed with Julie and Dutch from day one and their willingness to go that extra mile was greatly appreciated. Everyone who has seen our pictures has complimented the amazing work and have said how extraordinary our photographers were. We can never thank them enough for being a part of the best day of our lives! It was so special to us to work with such wonderful people. Every picture captured a moment of our wedding day, and it's almost like we are back in that moment each time we look at them! We really want to emphasize that Julie and Dutch captured the emotion and so many candid moments from our day, which is exactly what we wanted! We couldn't be happier and we are forever thankful to Julie and Dutch for these incredible photographs that we will always cherish! Thank you Julie and Dutch!

Reviewed on 9/13/2016

In a word, AWESOME. The pictures turned out beautifully- we couldn't have asked for anything better. Julie and Dutch captured every moment with grace, style and ease. They are true professionals, who will go above and beyond to make your wedding pictures perfect, literally.... Read More Hiring a photographer, in my opinion, is one of the most important decisions of the day because they're with you from start to finish. You want someone who won't intrude on those special moments between you and your partner (like the first look), but who can capture them at the same time. It's a delicate balancing act that Julie and Dutch have mastered. They were THE calming presence during those hectic hours leading up to the ceremony and reception. Beyond the wedding day, the process of actually reviewing/choosing the photos and receiving the albums couldn't have been easier. You will be in very good hands with Julie and Dutch- and chances are they'll probably become your friends! That's just the kind of people they are.

Reviewed on 8/22/2016 Kaitlyn

We feel so lucky to have worked with Sweetwater for our wedding! Julie and Dutch are an amazing team, truly awesome people, and magnificent artists! Their photography captures honest and natural emotion. Our friends and family have not stopped talking about our amazing pictures;... Read More the detail captured in each shot is incredible. Julie and Dutch made us feel comfortable and confident from the first moment we met, through the engagement photos, wedding planning, wedding day, and finally in designing our wedding album. Our Super8 film captured the highlights of our day in a unique and artistic video! Julie and Dutch genuinely love what they do. They build a relationship with each couple to better capture their beauty and love in every picture. Every photograph from Sweetwater photography is a work of art!

Reviewed on 7/30/2016

Julie and Dutch did an incredible job photographing our wedding! They captured every moment perfectly, without being too demanding and "in your face." Their professional yet laid-back personalities made us feel so comfortable and at ease. The super-8 film exceeded all our... Read More expectations, being a different and unique way to video the whole day. I HIGHLY recommend Sweetwater Portraits!

Reviewed on 7/24/2016 Sara L

Looking back on our pictures reminds us of how lucky we were to have found Julie and Dutch to capture our favorite day. Julie and Dutch's process from the outset was very personalized. Over time we developed a friendship or relationship of sorts that Julie and Dutch used to get... Read More a better feel of who we are as a couple and, in turn, what we envisioned for our wedding photos and wedding photographers. After working with them over the course of almost a year, we learned from Julie and Dutch that wedding photography is an art or craft and it is not the cut and dry process that we initially thought it was. It's clear that Julie and dutch are extremely talented at their craft and very passionate about it as well. We found them both very professional, responsive and reliable while also being very fun, outgoing and personable at the same time. Julie and Dutch were both very calming presences amid the chaos of a wedding day and we relied on them to take charge and direct when we needed them to be. We found it helpful that they were very familiar with our venue and they were able to help us find the perfect location for our outdoor wedding party pictures. Everything was positive about our experience from start to finish. We will, without a doubt, recommend them to any of our friends or family getting married in the Philadelphia area.

Reviewed on 6/21/2016

When I set out to find a photographer for my engagement photos and discovered Julie and Dutch's site, I was drawn to their work because none of the photos looked posed or unnatural; they exuded so much life and energy that I could almost imagine the sounds and conversations... Read More surrounding the moments they'd captured. I’m thrilled to say that I feel the same when looking through the photo gallery created for my fiancé and me—my fiancé, Ty, was especially happy about the nod-to-Wes-Anderson doorway shots! We truly love our photos and have already ordered several prints! Many thanks to Julie and Dutch for their wonderful work!

Reviewed on 5/22/2016 Hennie

Our daughter and son-in-law (R&M) chose Julie and Dutch of Sweetwater (J&D) as they were paying for their wedding photography, so we didn't meet them until the wedding. We used Front & Palmer's vendor list for all of our vendors, a very wise choice. We had total confidence in... Read More R&M's choice, especially after R&M's first meeting and how excited they were to work with them (J&D). The engagement pix were perfect and beautiful, and my husband and I were so excited to meet J&D at the wedding. They brought Matt with them and he was terrific too. Not only were they warm, engaging, and attentive: they took the BEST pix! Now we have the task of choosing the best ones for our album, no easy job because there are so many great ones! Thanks guys for everything. Can't wait to see the super-8 video Dutch is producing! I sell wedding invitations, and as a wedding vendor I will be recommending Sweetwater to everyone who inquires!

Reviewed on 9/23/2015 Anya A

As soon as we got engaged, I knew I wanted a fabulous photographer for our wedding day. In my opinion, the only tangible thing you walk away from after that day is your spouse and the wedding album! Additionally, I have always been a "photog-fan" in general so the desire to... Read More have a wonderful photographer was at the top of my "must have" list. Our wedding planner sent us a list of reputable photographers and the minute I came across Sweetwater's website, I was in love. We immediately put an email through to see if they were free for our wedding date. What struck me from the beginning were the vibrant pictures and the emotions that spilled off the page. I literally felt as though I was a guest at these weddings. As I continued to look through Sweetwater's website and blog, I was struck by the way each and every couple was photographed in such a distinct and unique manner. Simply put, each blog post was different then the next. All these other photographers simply put the couple in the same rote poses and clicked away. Yes, there were beautiful skylines, lighting, and editing, but the feelings were a tad muted. After we got the great news that Sweetwater was available for our wedding, we went ahead and booked our "getting to know you" meeting with Julie and Dutch. Time flew and by the end of the meeting, my husband and I felt as though the four of us were all old friends. It hit me that this was the every reason why Sweetwater's pictures varied so much by couple! They actually take the time to invest and develop a relationship with their couples; in turn; the vein in which Julie and Dutch photograph is so reflective of the couple's love, interaction, and personality. To say I am obsessed with my engagement and wedding photos is putting it mildly. I love looking at out pictures simply because of the way my husband I were captured. Yes, Julie and Dutch managed to make us look so beautiful and handsome but they also did a miraculous job of capturing our spirits. We love to laugh and be silly and Julie captured these moments in the sweetest and truest way. If you want photographs that capture your love, personalities, and nuances in a true, candid fashion, then please do yourself the favor of checking out Sweetwater Portraits. I literally just told my husband that we need to go through another "life event" for Julie and Dutch to photograph!

Reviewed on 7/19/2015 Lindsay G

I would recommend Sweetwater Portraits to any bride and groom. Julie and Dutch are such a blast to work with. They are a brilliant husband and wife team that truly know their art. Individually they bring their unique photography talents to the table but together they create... Read More masterpieces. Not only are they talented, but they are the sweetest people to work with. You go to their lovely home in South Philadelphia where they make you feel so warm and welcome for your consultation and meetings. They are not afraid to give their opinion if you ask them for honest feedback. Our friends, family and complete strangers are still continuing to stop us, 3 months after our wedding day, telling us that our photos look like they are right out of a bridal magazine. They are so talented! I plan on working with Julie and Dutch again for any future event we have! Thank you both for making our day so unforgettable and giving us the gift of relieving it whenever we look at our beautiful photos.

Absolutely stunning!!

Reviewed on 10/16/2014 Calli V

My husband and I hired Julie and Dutch of Sweetwater Portraits for our wedding photographers and it was one of the best decisions we made throughout the planning process. I found their work online and was immediately enamored with their photography. It was some of the most... Read More beautiful wedding photography I had seen and we knew we had to meet with them. When we met with them, we were immediately at ease - having a cold drink on their roofdeck overlooking the Philly skyline - doesn't get much better. The next day, we met with a different photographer and left the meeting and immediately emailed and booked Julie and Dutch. We came to the realization that our photographer would be with us ALL day during the wedding and we would want someone that we liked to be around. Julie and Dutch were great to work with - fit right in with our family and friends and made us feel completely at ease having our picture taken a million times. They were extremely easy going - despite the fact that it was unusually hot and humid for September and despite the fact that my now father-in-law ran over a bag of camera lenses with his car prior to the wedding (!). My husband is not the most photogenic, but they were able to make it work and got so many great pictures of us. We have recently gotten all of our photographs and we are completely overwhelmed with how great they turned out. Everyone we show them to is so taken aback by how beautiful they look. We have no idea how we will narrow them down for our album and certainly not for choosing which to frame. Certainly a good problem to have. Julie and Dutch are seriously talented and a ton of fun to work with. You are making a mistake if you do not hire them for your wedding/engagement photos/baby photos or anything else. I (almost) cannot wait to have children so we can have Julie photograph them!

Gorgeous, Stunning, Wow!

Reviewed on 5/01/2013 Marguerite D

We are absolutely thrilled with our wedding photos! Julie and Dutch were a joy to work with, and so incredibly talented. Our photos are just beautiful! Julie and Dutch have a natural photo style (with minimal photo editing), and though we interviewed several photographers... Read More before making our decision, we were drawn to Sweetwater's warm and genuine portraits. The entire process was so easy: They even created a day-of schedule that gave us ample time to enjoy our wedding guests. We are so glad we trusted Julie and Dutch to record our memories. Our wedding was gorgeous, and every time we look at our pictures, we will remember our special day!

The absolute best!

Reviewed on 3/31/2013 Alyssa R

While we were planning our wedding my husband and I knew what an important choice our wedding photographer would be but now, two years later, with the memories of the day becoming less vivid, we are more aware than ever how important it is to have beautiful pictures that capture... Read More everything from the small intimate moments to the spirit of the day. Choosing Julie and Dutch to photograph our wedding was one of the best decisions we made! In addition to their talent as photographers and the simple, honest nature of their work, Julie and Dutch are two fantastic people. They work in perfect synchrony to capture different angles and perspectives of the same scene. On our wedding day my husband and his guys had a great time with Dutch and having Julie there as I got ready felt like having an old and treasured friend around. Julie's calm and easy demeanor could soothe even the most anxious bride (or mother of the bride). My husband and I did an engagement shoot with Julie as well. Having her there during our intimate moments was easy and effortless. From our first meeting, to the many planning emails in the weeks prior to the wedding, to the process of shooting, to the selection of photos for our album, Julie and Dutch were honest, hard-working, creative, prompt, easy-going and a genuine pleasure to work with. We couldn't give them a higher recommendation!

Great Find!!!

Reviewed on 9/17/2012 Christine M

WE LOVE JULIE AND DUTCH!!! I would highly recommend Sweetwater Portraits without any hesitation!! My husband and I have never been professionally photographed so choosing someone that we felt comfortable with was very important to us. From the second I met them I knew they were... Read More the perfect fit. They were prompt with everything from the first inquiry to the arrival the day of. They are a husband and wife duo so they work incredible will together. Both were present during the day but never intrusive! They also work well with other vendors which allows for a stress free environment on your wedding day. If you are looking for a responsive, professional but most importantly FUN duo to work with , book with them!!!.

Beautiful Natural Photography

Reviewed on 8/26/2012 Amy D

Besides picking each other – selecting Sweetwater Portraits as our photographers was hands down the best decision we made for our wedding! Julie and Dutch are amazingly talented photographers who obviously love what they do. My husband and I took selecting a wedding... Read More photographer very seriously. We were paying for our wedding ourselves and with me as a designer and my husband is a hobby photographer we were probably more critical than typical customers. From beginning to end Julie and Dutch were professional, accommodating – and fun to work with! Julie and Dutch were so fun and personable; it really felt like they were wonderful old friends there to support us throughout our special day. As a couple who does not like to be the center of attention, we really appreciated how comfortable they made us feel in front of the camera. Before the wedding Julie really helped with suggestions on timing and when photos were to take place. This really helped eliminate potential wedding day stress. On the way to the wedding there were some mix-ups and I (the bride) got lost on the way to the site – thankfully Julie was there to get us back on track and she had set up our schedule so that this delay didn’t ruin the day. The photos are spectacular and so much more than we could have hoped for them to be! It is amazing to look back at the photos they took of our wedding because we feel like we are reliving the day and discovering new details that we overlooked. Julie and Dutch managed to capture every detail without us noticing - from the candid expressions on our guests’ faces to every personal touch throughout our special day. Why should you hire Sweetwater Portraits, too? They will capture every moment and detail discretely and perfectly. Sweetwater Portraits’ photos won’t only serve as a visual record of your wedding day –they truly capture memories in the most beautiful way. I absolutely love working with these two and cannot recommend them highly enough.

Wondeful!!

Reviewed on 7/22/2012 Amanda S

Sweetwater Portraits was the perfect choice for our wedding day. From the beginning Julie was professional, accomodating of our schedules, responsive and a lot of fun to work with! On our wedding day Julie and Dutch were wonderful. They were everywhere getting all of the... Read More photos but in a very unobstrusive way. We heard from multiple wedding guests how pleasant our photographers were. And the photos! We just received our proofs and the photos are beyond beautiful! They captured everything we wanted and so much more. I don't know how we will ever be able to select photos for our album because there are so many wonderful ones. They are everything that you hope your wedding photos will be. I can recommend Sweetwater Portraits without hesitation--they will capture every wonderful moment of your day!

August 21, 2010

Reviewed on 1/12/2011 Anne G

Working with Julie and Dutch was an absolute treat. We live in DC, but planning over email and phone with Julie was easy and worry free. Our pictures are the perfect illustration of our wonderful wedding. From the girls getting ready and tears walking down the aisle to an... Read More impromptu moon-bounce session and dancing all night, Julie & Dutch did a fantastic job capturing our wedding on film in a beautiful candid and journalistic style. The ceremony was at St. Thomas of Villanova Chapel at Villanova University and in addition to capturing the beautiful church, Julie and Dutch did a fantastic job spotting picture-perfect locations all over campus (and dealing patiently with the August heat). The reception was nearby at Montrose Mansion in Villanova. Julie and Dutch again did a great job recommending good photo locations all over the grounds and got us through the more traditional portraits and family shots with plenty of time to spare for our cocktail hour. We didn’t want a videographer, and with Sweetwater Photography we really didn’t need one. Their photos illustrated every aspect of our wedding, big or small, with very little guidance from us. We had the time of our lives at our wedding reception and we’re so happy to have the pictures to help us remember that for many, many years to come. A million thanks, Anne & Peter 8.21.2010 @ Montrose Mansion in Villanova, PA