Sweetwater Portraits by Julie Melton

Philadelphia, PA

A genuine approach to your loveliest day

Destination Weddings, Photo

755 S 3rd St, Philadelphia, PA

Reviewed on 9/23/2015 Anya A

As soon as we got engaged, I knew I wanted a fabulous photographer for our wedding day. In my opinion, the only tangible thing you walk away from after that day is your spouse and the wedding album! Additionally, I have always been a "photog-fan" in general so the desire to... Read More have a wonderful photographer was at the top of my "must have" list. Our wedding planner sent us a list of reputable photographers and the minute I came across Sweetwater's website, I was in love. We immediately put an email through to see if they were free for our wedding date. What struck me from the beginning were the vibrant pictures and the emotions that spilled off the page. I literally felt as though I was a guest at these weddings. As I continued to look through Sweetwater's website and blog, I was struck by the way each and every couple was photographed in such a distinct and unique manner. Simply put, each blog post was different then the next. All these other photographers simply put the couple in the same rote poses and clicked away. Yes, there were beautiful skylines, lighting, and editing, but the feelings were a tad muted. After we got the great news that Sweetwater was available for our wedding, we went ahead and booked our "getting to know you" meeting with Julie and Dutch. Time flew and by the end of the meeting, my husband and I felt as though the four of us were all old friends. It hit me that this was the every reason why Sweetwater's pictures varied so much by couple! They actually take the time to invest and develop a relationship with their couples; in turn; the vein in which Julie and Dutch photograph is so reflective of the couple's love, interaction, and personality. To say I am obsessed with my engagement and wedding photos is putting it mildly. I love looking at out pictures simply because of the way my husband I were captured. Yes, Julie and Dutch managed to make us look so beautiful and handsome but they also did a miraculous job of capturing our spirits. We love to laugh and be silly and Julie captured these moments in the sweetest and truest way. If you want photographs that capture your love, personalities, and nuances in a true, candid fashion, then please do yourself the favor of checking out Sweetwater Portraits. I literally just told my husband that we need to go through another "life event" for Julie and Dutch to photograph!

Reviewed on 7/19/2015 Lindsay G

I would recommend Sweetwater Portraits to any bride and groom. Julie and Dutch are such a blast to work with. They are a brilliant husband and wife team that truly know their art. Individually they bring their unique photography talents to the table but together they create... Read More masterpieces. Not only are they talented, but they are the sweetest people to work with. You go to their lovely home in South Philadelphia where they make you feel so warm and welcome for your consultation and meetings. They are not afraid to give their opinion if you ask them for honest feedback. Our friends, family and complete strangers are still continuing to stop us, 3 months after our wedding day, telling us that our photos look like they are right out of a bridal magazine. They are so talented! I plan on working with Julie and Dutch again for any future event we have! Thank you both for making our day so unforgettable and giving us the gift of relieving it whenever we look at our beautiful photos.

Absolutely stunning!!

Reviewed on 10/16/2014 Calli V

My husband and I hired Julie and Dutch of Sweetwater Portraits for our wedding photographers and it was one of the best decisions we made throughout the planning process. I found their work online and was immediately enamored with their photography. It was some of the most... Read More beautiful wedding photography I had seen and we knew we had to meet with them. When we met with them, we were immediately at ease - having a cold drink on their roofdeck overlooking the Philly skyline - doesn't get much better. The next day, we met with a different photographer and left the meeting and immediately emailed and booked Julie and Dutch. We came to the realization that our photographer would be with us ALL day during the wedding and we would want someone that we liked to be around. Julie and Dutch were great to work with - fit right in with our family and friends and made us feel completely at ease having our picture taken a million times. They were extremely easy going - despite the fact that it was unusually hot and humid for September and despite the fact that my now father-in-law ran over a bag of camera lenses with his car prior to the wedding (!). My husband is not the most photogenic, but they were able to make it work and got so many great pictures of us. We have recently gotten all of our photographs and we are completely overwhelmed with how great they turned out. Everyone we show them to is so taken aback by how beautiful they look. We have no idea how we will narrow them down for our album and certainly not for choosing which to frame. Certainly a good problem to have. Julie and Dutch are seriously talented and a ton of fun to work with. You are making a mistake if you do not hire them for your wedding/engagement photos/baby photos or anything else. I (almost) cannot wait to have children so we can have Julie photograph them!

Gorgeous, Stunning, Wow!

Reviewed on 5/01/2013 Marguerite D

We are absolutely thrilled with our wedding photos! Julie and Dutch were a joy to work with, and so incredibly talented. Our photos are just beautiful! Julie and Dutch have a natural photo style (with minimal photo editing), and though we interviewed several photographers... Read More before making our decision, we were drawn to Sweetwater's warm and genuine portraits. The entire process was so easy: They even created a day-of schedule that gave us ample time to enjoy our wedding guests. We are so glad we trusted Julie and Dutch to record our memories. Our wedding was gorgeous, and every time we look at our pictures, we will remember our special day!

The absolute best!

Reviewed on 3/31/2013 Alyssa R

While we were planning our wedding my husband and I knew what an important choice our wedding photographer would be but now, two years later, with the memories of the day becoming less vivid, we are more aware than ever how important it is to have beautiful pictures that capture... Read More everything from the small intimate moments to the spirit of the day. Choosing Julie and Dutch to photograph our wedding was one of the best decisions we made! In addition to their talent as photographers and the simple, honest nature of their work, Julie and Dutch are two fantastic people. They work in perfect synchrony to capture different angles and perspectives of the same scene. On our wedding day my husband and his guys had a great time with Dutch and having Julie there as I got ready felt like having an old and treasured friend around. Julie's calm and easy demeanor could soothe even the most anxious bride (or mother of the bride). My husband and I did an engagement shoot with Julie as well. Having her there during our intimate moments was easy and effortless. From our first meeting, to the many planning emails in the weeks prior to the wedding, to the process of shooting, to the selection of photos for our album, Julie and Dutch were honest, hard-working, creative, prompt, easy-going and a genuine pleasure to work with. We couldn't give them a higher recommendation!

Great Find!!!

Reviewed on 9/17/2012 Christine M

WE LOVE JULIE AND DUTCH!!! I would highly recommend Sweetwater Portraits without any hesitation!! My husband and I have never been professionally photographed so choosing someone that we felt comfortable with was very important to us. From the second I met them I knew they were... Read More the perfect fit. They were prompt with everything from the first inquiry to the arrival the day of. They are a husband and wife duo so they work incredible will together. Both were present during the day but never intrusive! They also work well with other vendors which allows for a stress free environment on your wedding day. If you are looking for a responsive, professional but most importantly FUN duo to work with , book with them!!!.

Beautiful Natural Photography

Reviewed on 8/26/2012 Amy D

Besides picking each other – selecting Sweetwater Portraits as our photographers was hands down the best decision we made for our wedding! Julie and Dutch are amazingly talented photographers who obviously love what they do. My husband and I took selecting a wedding... Read More photographer very seriously. We were paying for our wedding ourselves and with me as a designer and my husband is a hobby photographer we were probably more critical than typical customers. From beginning to end Julie and Dutch were professional, accommodating – and fun to work with! Julie and Dutch were so fun and personable; it really felt like they were wonderful old friends there to support us throughout our special day. As a couple who does not like to be the center of attention, we really appreciated how comfortable they made us feel in front of the camera. Before the wedding Julie really helped with suggestions on timing and when photos were to take place. This really helped eliminate potential wedding day stress. On the way to the wedding there were some mix-ups and I (the bride) got lost on the way to the site – thankfully Julie was there to get us back on track and she had set up our schedule so that this delay didn’t ruin the day. The photos are spectacular and so much more than we could have hoped for them to be! It is amazing to look back at the photos they took of our wedding because we feel like we are reliving the day and discovering new details that we overlooked. Julie and Dutch managed to capture every detail without us noticing - from the candid expressions on our guests’ faces to every personal touch throughout our special day. Why should you hire Sweetwater Portraits, too? They will capture every moment and detail discretely and perfectly. Sweetwater Portraits’ photos won’t only serve as a visual record of your wedding day –they truly capture memories in the most beautiful way. I absolutely love working with these two and cannot recommend them highly enough.

Reviewed on 7/22/2012 Amanda S

Sweetwater Portraits was the perfect choice for our wedding day. From the beginning Julie was professional, accomodating of our schedules, responsive and a lot of fun to work with! On our wedding day Julie and Dutch were wonderful. They were everywhere getting all of the... Read More photos but in a very unobstrusive way. We heard from multiple wedding guests how pleasant our photographers were. And the photos! We just received our proofs and the photos are beyond beautiful! They captured everything we wanted and so much more. I don't know how we will ever be able to select photos for our album because there are so many wonderful ones. They are everything that you hope your wedding photos will be. I can recommend Sweetwater Portraits without hesitation--they will capture every wonderful moment of your day!

August 21, 2010

Reviewed on 1/12/2011 Anne G

Working with Julie and Dutch was an absolute treat. We live in DC, but planning over email and phone with Julie was easy and worry free. Our pictures are the perfect illustration of our wonderful wedding. From the girls getting ready and tears walking down the aisle to an... Read More impromptu moon-bounce session and dancing all night, Julie & Dutch did a fantastic job capturing our wedding on film in a beautiful candid and journalistic style. The ceremony was at St. Thomas of Villanova Chapel at Villanova University and in addition to capturing the beautiful church, Julie and Dutch did a fantastic job spotting picture-perfect locations all over campus (and dealing patiently with the August heat). The reception was nearby at Montrose Mansion in Villanova. Julie and Dutch again did a great job recommending good photo locations all over the grounds and got us through the more traditional portraits and family shots with plenty of time to spare for our cocktail hour. We didn’t want a videographer, and with Sweetwater Photography we really didn’t need one. Their photos illustrated every aspect of our wedding, big or small, with very little guidance from us. We had the time of our lives at our wedding reception and we’re so happy to have the pictures to help us remember that for many, many years to come. A million thanks, Anne & Peter 8.21.2010 @ Montrose Mansion in Villanova, PA