The Abbey on Fifth Ave

San Diego, CA

Book Your Wedding with The Abbey on Fifth Ave

Step inside the gracious chapel of 100-year-old The Abbey, and the opulence of a by-gone era makes unique wedding ceremony and reception possibilities a reality. This historic church-turned-venue seats up to 300 guests within the stained glass domed building, and has become a San Diego landmark that is perfect for large or small wedding parties. The Abbey is located near Balboa Park and just minutes from the San Diego airport, making it simple for out-of-town guests to find and enjoy.

Wedding ceremonies take place on the original church pulpit, surrounded by 12 stained glass windows. Striking lighting casts a golden glow on the interior of the building, and its Spanish Colonial Revival architecture sets a brilliant backdrop for those "first look" photos. The stairs ascending to the pulpit allow long bridal trains to flow gracefully, while the separation of the pulpit and seating sets the bridal party apart from the guests.

Receptions at the Abbey are offered in one of several rooms. The main floor seats 150 guests, while the north floor on the same level seats 60 guests. The walls of the reception area highlight the dark glow of elegantly carved wooden features, and the stained glass windows bring in the colorful sparkle. Each reception table is set with a white tablecloth and votive candles for a romantic glow. Upper floor receptions house approximately 65 guests with areas that overlook the lower floor.

The Abbey is a historic building that has undergone some modern renovations. The building itself does not accommodate wheelchairs on the second level due to restrictions on the modification of historic buildings. All wedding ceremonies are paired with a reception, and couples are not able to use The Abbey for just one portion of the event.

Wedding ceremony packages include a white runner for the aisle, a table for unity candles, two altar candelabras and an hour for the ceremony itself. Packages also include an hour with a wedding coordinator for a ceremony rehearsal within the building.

Reception packages are customized to suit each couple. Bar service, catering and wedding cakes may be purchased through the venue. Food services include either a sit-down option or a buffet, with a variety of foods to choose from when designing the menu.

The Abbey is thought to be the only remaining classical-revival structure in San Diego, making it an extremely unique venue that offers exceptional perks.

• Spectacular views of the wedding and reception from second floor balcony
  • Complimentary dance floor provided with entertainment services
  • Linens that complement The Abbey decor

101-150, 300+

Ballroom, Cruise, Historic Venue, Loft, Church, Religious Setting, Restaurant

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning, Rentals + Equipment, Service Staff, Transportation

Aebf0cfd 749a 4015 9cf0 6e3c13a96bd2~rs 100

2825 5th Avenue, San Diego, CA (619) 686-8700

Reviewed on 7/03/2017 Jillian C

We had our wedding ceremony and reception here on 6/10/17. I can not say enough good things about The Abbey! It is definitely a hidden gem! At first I wasn't sure about it from the pictures on the website, but we fell in love with it when we visited the first time. It's so... Read More unique and we loved the historical feel to it- it's a beautiful and different venue, which is exactly what we wanted! Our guests LOVED it too, and so many of them came up and were asking how we found the place and commenting on how great of a venue it was. Kelly Rossi was so great with answering all my emails over the 1+ year after we had booked it, and Kristi Bryant was also very friendly and helpful! We also loved how all the staff (floor manager, servers, bartenders, etc) were so professional and did an amazing job with treating us and our guests so well throughout the whole wedding and reception. They also did a great job with my milk allergy, which I was very worried about! I am extremely allergic to milk or anything dairy, but they did an amazing job with putting together an allergen safe menu for me, watching cross contamination, etc. We loved everything about The Abbey and can't say enough about it! It was also surprisingly reasonable in price and definitely seemed much more expensive than it actually was. The food was delicious (we got so many compliants from our guests too), and the bar package was great as well! Both of which were very reasonable in price. Our guests (and us!) are still talking about The Abbey and how great our wedding was- Our wedding day would not have been the same at a different venue. Thank you for making our wedding day perfect!

2017-07-13T16:09:36 Response from the vendor

Aww, this is so sweet! Thank you and congratulations "Mrs. N"!!! Kelly and I absolutely loved working with you. So happy for the compliments on the food, and that we made it stress free for you. Thank you for trusting us with your wedding day!... Read Less Read More

Perfection in Everyway

Reviewed on 8/21/2014 Amanda S

We had a destination wedding in San Diego, and The Abbey on Fifth could not have been better. Being able to do both the ceremony and the reception in the same location is a huge plus considering everyone was coming from out of town. The service was impeccable, and Kristie and... Read More the staff were able to walk me through everything even though I was miles away. Since Kristie focuses on all the wedding activities she was able to help me create my ideas telling me what worked and what didn’t work for previous brides. Since so much is included in the package at The Abbey there was just a few tasks for me to complete, and Kristie was able to help me complete these things prior to the wedding even from miles away. The food, wow, definitely did not taste like traditional wedding food. Each dish tasted so delicious that my husband and I actually stopped to eat it was that good. Everyone was very impressed with how classy and upscale the event was. I highly recommend The Abbey on Fifth if you are looking for a venue in the San Diego area.

Beyond our expectations

Reviewed on 3/04/2014 Jane M

The Abbey was everything we wanted in a wedding venue -- romantic, historic, beautiful, elegant, outstanding food and service. They worked with us from the very beginning to the very last detail. They do their own catering and all the food is prepared on-site. We chose the... Read More plated service of the duet of salmon and filet mignon. My fiancé was skeptical about how they could pull off a good steak for that many people but he was the first one raving about it! We especially liked that they took care of all the coordination details as we both work full time and didn't use a wedding planner. We don't live our lives to impress others but all of the guests and our families were taken aback at the elegant atmosphere, fabulous food and outstanding service from A to Z.

Reviewed on 11/15/2017 Dianna F

Amazing venue and amazing staff! We just had our wedding reception on 11/11/17 at the Abbey. I worked primarily with Kristie and Kelly. They were excellent and very accommodating. The Venue is beautiful and we had so many compliments from our wedding guests. The food and the... Read More service are top notch. I would highly recommend this venue!

Review for The Abbey

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Katie B

It was an old church so I felt like it had a lot of character.;It needs decor, we spent a lot on flowers, a backdrop for some ugly areas and nice lighting. Also, there is no parking and our photographer had to drive around for a while to get a parking space. I am sure they... Read More would have reserved one had I asked but I didn't. I provided transportation for my guests so it wasn't too big of a problem.

Rating for The Abbey

Reviewed on 9/03/2008 Victoria s

Delicious food and wonderful service