The Barker Tavern

Scituate Harbor, MA

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Williams Room. This modern ballroom holds up to 125 to 200 guests. A cathedral ceiling, an eight-foot stone fireplace and hardwoods make this an elegant, yet cozy wedding ceremony and reception site.

New England Room. This fully renovated 17th century room seats smaller receptions. It holds all the charm of 1600s Massachusetts with its low ceilings with exposed wood beams. This room can entertain a minimum of 25 guests.

T he Gardenview Room. This holds 20 diners and although fully renovated, highlights the original 17th century building. This room is on the first floor.

The Hatherly Room. This room, also in the original building, is an intimate setting for 12 upstairs.

The Jordan Room. This room features original windows and seats up to 12.

The day of your wedding, the bride and her party get ready in the bridal suite. Your party has its own room manager, bridal attendant, bartender service and complete serving staff provided. Beforehand, you have access to the Barker’s event coordinator to assist you in organizing all of your wedding planning. Marry in the courtyard with the harbor behind you for your guests to enjoy the spectacular view. During photographs, your guests enjoy a cocktail hour with passed or stationary hors d’oeuvres. The bridal party does not miss out, as the Barker provides the party fruit, cheese and champagne during photographs.

The Barker provides a champagne or wine toast for your guests as part of the package, and all of the tables are equipped with beautiful floor-length linens. The finer touches of the reception include framed table numbers and a three-course meal with vast gourmet menu item options and upgrades.

No sand, glitter or confetti are allowed, although you may bring your own decorations. Check with your wedding coordinator about what you can use to decorate the facility.

In addition to the stunning backdrop and amenities already provided, additional reasons to have The Barker Tavern host your wedding include:

• Beautiful historical building • Wedding cake is provided • Recipient of the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence Award • Ice cream sundae bar • No administrative fees or service charge

The Barker Tavern Restaurant and Ballroom

Located between Boston and Cape Cod, The Barker Tavern in Scituate Harbor is nestled within the fabric of a quaint New England coastal village with atmosphere rich in beauty and charm.

Ballroom, Historic Venue, Restaurant

Bar + Drinks, Food + Catering, Planning, Rentals + Equipment, Service Staff

21 Barker Rd, Scituate Harbor, MA (800) 966-6533

Perfection!

Reviewed on 10/27/2014 Jenne D

From day one, the Barker has exceeded all our expectations. My husband and I got engaged shortly before the holidays, and while we were home visiting my parents for the holidays, decided to try and look at a couple of places, even if we couldn't meet with anyone just so we would... Read More have a visual. Not only is the Barker gorgeous, Becky and her team went above and beyond, and gave us a full tour and all the information right away. They were friendly, yet professional, and worked so hard to answer every question. Even before I had booked with them, I had a couple of questions as far as things I wanted at the wedding, and she and her team worked to get answers right away. After booking with Becky, it was just as smooth a process. We are from out of state, and only travelled to Massachusetts a couple times over the year. Becky was so accommodating to work with us and schedule tastings and meetings around when we were in town. Not only that, but when we were away, she was quick to respond to emails, or to call if there was anything she had a question on. I could not have asked for a better experience working with Becky, even from out of state. The venue itself is gorgeous. You think it looks good when you walk in, and it isn't decorated at all, and you think it looks better in pictures, but none of it does justice to what the venue looks like on wedding day. The day of, the Barker was set to perfection. It looked so elegant, and the wait staff was so professional and on top of everything. Never once did I have to ask for anything, and Judy was on top of taking care of us all night. The food was delicious, and even when my husband and I were around talking to everyone, they made sure our food stayed warm, and didn't clear our dishes until asking us if we wanted them still. Overall, our wedding day was perfect. We could not have imagined any more. The service was wonderful, the venue was wonderful, the food was wonderful, and the people were wonderful. Thank you Becky and the Barker for everything!!!

Fantastic wedding at the Barker Tavern

Reviewed on 10/10/2014

We just had our wedding at the Barker Tavern this past Saturday, 10/4/14. We had a had small wedding that included the ceremony and the reception. Becky was just wonderful. She was so sweet & sincere. She made planning a wedding stress free and enjoyable and wow was she... Read More extremely organized. I said to my now husband, I feel like we are the only couple getting married at the Barker because she paid us such attention and was right there when we needed her. Her patience and professionalism was refreshing. From the moment I met Becky and saw how absolutely beautiful the venue was, I knew we had made the right decision to get married there. Our wedding guests had a wonderful time and the food was OUT OF THIS WORLD. I didn't think that I'd be able to eat too much as the bride but once I took a bite of the prime rib I sat down and really savored the food. If you're considering the Barker for your wedding, look no more, choose the Barker, you will not be disappointed!

A wedding to remember

Reviewed on 9/16/2014

The entire process was smooth and effortless. Becky the owner was always available to answer our questions and provided us with helpful suggestions and ideas. She was able to accommodate our different cultural touches into the event and blended them seamlessly into the... Read More evening. We had a year to plan the day and they helped us by giving guidelines as to when things should be completed. This helped reduce our stress as we didn't feel rushed. The day itself was great, actually awesome. The food is top notch zero complaints. Which is exceptional when you are feeding 120+ people. Weeks after people were still telling us how good it was. They served the entire room in minutes so everyone was able to eat at the same time which allowed the party to start sooner. We didn't have that weird situation of some people eating and others dancing here. The cake from Konditormeister was also perfect, it is part of their package and everyone loved it. It's a 4 tier cake and each tier can be something different so you can pretty much get something for everyone. The place itself is beautiful. The high ceilings and lighted drapes are very elegant and because the room isn't too large you can greet all your guests and still have time to enjoy the party. The entire day was flawless. Every aspect transitioned perfectly into the other and the party was going the entire time. They did a great job. I honestly hardly noticed the staff walking around. They timed it that well. This is a great place to have a wedding. The Scituate lighthouse is also just down the street and a great place for pictures too. So if you are looking for a place remember that going to big makes it difficult to see everyone. We found that this place was just the right size for 120-130 people, and the staff took care of all of them.

Reviewed on 5/07/2017 Beatrice R

My daughter and son-in-law held their reception at the Barker Tavern this April. The staff and service were both exceptional throughout the entire process, and made the reception a breeze for all of us. We chose the Elegant Seated Dinner package and an open bar. Food and... Read More drink were excellent and within our budget. We served filet mignon, Statler chicken breast, and baked stuff shrimp for entrees - all were delicious! Our final guest count was 137 people, which was perfect for that space. We seated between 8-10 people per table, but whether people sat at a table of 8 or 10, everyone seemed very comfortable. This place really knows how to take care of every detail, and deserve credit for running things seamlessly. Becky, Nicole, Judy, and Paula were all wonderful. This happy mother-of-the-bride is very grateful for their professionalism and help!

Reviewed on 4/11/2017 Tina M

Our wedding reception at the Barker Tavern was beyond perfect. I was planning the wedding from out of state, and Becky and the Barker team were very flexible in meeting with my parents, and working around when my fiancee and I would be in town to plan. The reception hostesses... Read More made sure everything stayed on schedule, and I loved how the whole team made sure the night went as my fiancee and I had envisioned - with plenty of time for dancing and mingling. Everyone I met was incredibly professional, personable, and fun. I look forward to returning to the Barker for an anniversary dinner.

Reviewed on 10/02/2016 Nicole D

The Barker Tavern was so lovely! We got married yesterday and Becky and the staff made planning effortless. Becky met with us, helped us find our vendors and supported us throughout the process. Yesterday staff was friendly and helpful. They created a calm atmosphere for the big... Read More day! I had the wedding of my dreams at the Barker Tavern!! I would highly recommend this venue!!

Reviewed on 9/08/2016 Gretchen S

The Barker Tavern was absolutely the most special, wonderful place to have a wedding! It is the favorite restaurant of my husband and I, and so when we started looking at wedding venues, we knew that this had to be on our list. Although we had been to the restaurant many times,... Read More we were not prepared for how absolutely beautiful the Williams Room is! Perfect New England charm combined with high vaulted ceilings with wooden beams laden with white fairy lights, a fabulous fireplace, windows which allow wonderful views of the incredible gardens - it is such a special place. However, the thing that we have to rave the most about (as so many other reviewers have) is how absolutely extraordinary Becky, the wedding coordinator, is. She is one of the most lovely, kind, sincere, wonderful people that I have ever met in my life. Not only was she a complete pleasure to work with at every step of the way (because she treated us like members of her family), but because she is an absolute expert and coordinating a fabulous wedding. She had a million fantastic ideas - all of which she shared with us in person, via email, and through her wonderful wedding binder (which she has created just for her Barker brides through all of her great experience). She made the entire process a pleasure, and so incredibly easy! My husband and I have had countless people tell us that our wedding was one of the very best weddings that they had ever been to, and we couldn't agree more! The food was incredible (the swordfish was mouthwatering) and the room, the service, and all of the other million little details were done to perfection. Becky and her staff were just absolutely fantastic. The wedding exceeded every expectation we had, and now not only is the Barker our favorite restaurant, but it is now the site of our most wonderful wedding memories! We could not give the Barker a higher or more glowing recommendation!

Reviewed on 8/16/2016 Amanda S

We just got married at the Barker Tavern a few weeks ago, and what an amazing day we had! When we were looking at venue's a year earlier, it was a very quick decision to go with Becky and her staff. The space in the William's room is stunning! They have put a lot of time and... Read More effort into the details of the room. We added colored lighting around the room, which only enhances the beauty of the space. The food is absolutely incredible. Leading up to the wedding any time someone would ask me where I was getting married and I told them the Barker Tavern, they would rave about the food... and it did not disappoint! Everything is truly delicious and they are very accommodating with food allergies/sensitivities with some members on our guest list. As mentioned, Becky and her staff worked with us all year to make our day so special. Becky was always quick to respond to questions and gave wonderful advice that truly shows her expertise and experience in this business. Everything ran smoothly at the ceremony and reception, as we did both in the space. I would absolutely recommend this venue to anyone looking for a venue space. You will not be disappointed! Sincerest Thanks, Amanda and Ryan T.

Reviewed on 8/10/2015

We had the absolute pleasure of working with Becky and The Barker Tavern staff for our wedding which took place 2/28/15. As you can see by the time between the wedding & writing the review Becky is much more organized! I can say that The Barker has weddings down! Not once did a... Read More stress about the organization of our event. Becky provided me with the most wonderful binder to keep me on track - this includes vendor recommendations as well. The vendors The Barker works with are wonderful as well, and they all love to work at The Barker! The room was so beautiful, with the wonder walls of windows looking out to the snow! The food was AMAZING! Our guests loved it! We offered chicken, prime rib & swordfish - all were so delicious! The portions were huge! The apps were also so good! The servers & bartenders at the wedding were great as well - they did a wonderful job working the room and evenly distributing the apps. Our guests raved about the venue! I am from Scituate and was so happy to get married there. Our family has a lot of weddings, but thought this one was the best! The room, food and staff are to thank for this. I would recommend The Barker in a heartbeat, you will not be let down & will have the most amazing wedding day guaranteed! Thank you so much again Becky & The Barker team for making our day so perfect!!

Reviewed on 5/07/2015 Meredith O

My husband and I chose the Barker Tavern for our March 14, 2015 wedding (both ceremony and reception) and we could not be happier with our decision. During the planning process, Becky was incredibly helpful with helping us plan--always answered emails promptly and cheerfully.... Read More It was a huge relief that the payment was so straightforward--there was no set up or take down fees, or any other hidden costs. We simply chose our package, multiplied by the number of guests, added tax, and that was our wedding bill (including a lovely wedding cake from Konditor Meister). The only thing not included in that flat fee was the open bar, and the extra hour we chose to add to our reception. I had no idea what I was doing planning a wedding, and luckily I didn't have to. Becky knew what questions to ask and when I didn't know the answer, she figured it out! Becky recommended some fantastic vendors, with no pressure to use vendors that she suggested. We used the florist, videographer, and bagpiper that she suggested and found them all to be pleasant and professional. On the day of the wedding, we didn't have a single worry--the Barker staff handled EVERYTHING we could think of (and so many little things that we didn't!). The close proximity to the Scituate light house made for UNBELIEVABLE first look photos. The room was beautiful--so cozy with the candlelight--and the changeover from our ceremony to our reception took mere minutes. We couldn't believe it! The food was, of course, exceptional--we've been customers of the Barker Tavern for years and the appetizers and entrees were delicious. Our out of town guests, in particular, were thrilled with the seafood offerings (and we were thrilled to offer filet mignon and stuffed shrimp as an entree option without an upcharge). I spent hours on the dance floor without a care in the world, and that wouldn't have been possible without the helpful staff. My wedding day remains one of the best in my life, and so much of that had to do with the ease of the day. I highly recommend The Barker Tavern as your wedding venue.

Sampson Wedding August 23, 2014

Reviewed on 8/24/2014 Sara W

Matthew and I had such a wonderful Wedding Day at the Barker Tavern in Scituate. Everyone was delightful !! So organized and Kind. The Event Planner, Becky Smith was so helpful. All the other coordinators were also very helpful. The tables looked amazing, not a wrinkle in those... Read More overlays :) You made Our Day so special we appreciate it !! They made the Williams Room look amazing, so bright and cheery. The silver bows, white table clothes and chair covers made such an elegant feeling in the room. The Staff in general was awesome. Everyone had their Food on time. Not a complaint from anyone. I went around to every table and not a drop of food was left. We had open bar for cocktail hour and the bartenders were great. If you're wondering about pictures they have a beautiful garden and coy pond out back. I highly recommend the Barker Tavern for any event, especially a Wedding.. Thank you all for such a lovely Day..

Best day!

Reviewed on 8/21/2014 Carolyn H

We had our wedding at Barker Tavern in July and it was UNREAL. Could Becky be more amazing??? Seriously!!!! The food is out of this world and the room is gorgeous! This was the first and last placed we looked when planning our wedding. We felt no pressure at all to book, and as... Read More we were wrapping up my now husband looked at Becky and said " I like you! You're like my mom.... We are having our wedding here!" We booked that day. I worried about planning a wedding I had just started a new job that was far from home and in the midst was offered a promotion that was very in depth and let me tell you! Becky did everything for us! NO STRESS! When I say this was the easiest thing I have ever done in my life, plan a wedding in 6 months, I mean it! I will forever recommend the Barker. Everyone she recommends is amazing.... Go with them! The Jordan family has weddings down to a science. The staff amazing!!!!! I never ever felt like we were being rushed, that a clock was being watched, nothing!!!! When we were leaving everything as packed to perfection and handed off to our parents. This place needs more than 5 stars!!! What I loved most about Becky was that she was not trying to get you for every penny! Just one of bathe many examples...We had bought a card box and she told us to return it, keep the $40 and use what she had which was gorgeous of course! Oh my god she is amazing. I wish that there was one flaw I could write and I was discussing this with family that I can't even critique one thing and they totally agreed. I can't believe that I did not have one flaw in my wedding....unheard of! Becky to you and your family, you are truly amazing and thank you so much for making my wedding day the best day of my life! Xoxo Carolyn and Kevin Patten

Amazing Wedding Location

Reviewed on 8/14/2014 whitney a

From the start of our wedding planning, we only went and saw Barker Tavern after looking at their venue online and we booked the day we saw it for the first time, we just knew it is where we wanted to get married. From the initial stages to the tasting and the final days before... Read More the wedding, Becky was so helpful and it was a pleasure to work with her. The day of the wedding the attendants working the room were so helpful and we appreciated everything. We couldn't imagine our wedding day being anywhere else. The food was great and all our guests have continued to rave about it, the atmosphere and decor of the Williams Room are gorgeous. Thank you again to the Barker Tavern for making our wedding day so special!

Barker Tavern will make sure your wedding is beautiful and run smoothly!

Reviewed on 1/23/2014 Elizabeth

I had both my wedding and my reception there, and I have to say it was a decision I did not regret! Becky helped me make sure all my preparations were in order, helped me pick out my menu, and made sure all of my other vendors were in order! She basically ran everything for me.... Read More In addition, the packagers Barker Tavern offer for receptions are really quite impressive. I choose to upgrade from the basic and am so glad I did. The location itself is beautiful, the staff is friendly and professional. I would definitely recommend this location to anyone looking to get married in the South Shore.

Beautiful Barker Tavern

Reviewed on 12/30/2013 Julie H

Barker Tavern was a dream come true. From the moment we set foot in Barker Tavern, Becky and the entire staff treated us like family. They made the entire planning process so comfortable and seamless. The vendors they recommended for cake, photography, and DJ were nothing short... Read More of incredible as well. With Barker by my side, I never once felt nervous or uneasy about the process, I always rested soundly knowing they had everything more than under control. In addition to providing absolutely incredible help in planning, they helped us make it an affordable endeavor. Granted we got married off season, but for the value and service they provide, we feel like we didn't have to "break the bank", so to speak, in order to have a show-stopping and dream-come-true day. Now that the wedding has passed, I can truly say that Barker Tavern made our day absolutely perfect. Both my mother and mother-in-law had phone calls pouring in for days about how blown away our guests were by the time they had. They raved about the food, the music, the impeccable service, the kindness/competence of the servers and staff on the floor, and more. Just absolutely amazing. I cannot recommend Barker enough for your special day. A cozy, sea-side, delicious, and FUN place to have your big day!

Perfect venue, exceptional everything!

Reviewed on 11/11/2013 Carol M

I can't say enough about Barker Tavern, Becky, and the staff. I had to plan our wedding from out of state. I thought that may be difficult but it could not have been easier. Becky felt like family. She answered all phone calls, all emails...she had answers before I even... Read More thought to ask them. Interacting with Becky for many months before the wedding made Barker Tavern and Scituate feel like home. A family owned business definitely has a heartwarming feel. Barker Tavern has so many wedding ceremonies and receptions each year but Becky made me feel like I was the only bride and my wedding was "it". Unbelievable and so appreciated! And I can say now that my wedding has passed, I miss her, and will look forward to going back to visit. Barker Tavern itself is amazing. It is beautifully decorated and very classy. The grounds outside are gorgeous. The food is amazing, the staff exceptional. Our day went without a hitch...my husband and I didn't even need to think about where to be, the staff would gently guide us in the right direction. Barker Tavern was the PERFECT choice for our fairytale! And Becky...I can never thank her enough. Special thanks to Judy as well who personally helped me on my wedding day.

Great fit!

Reviewed on 8/05/2013 Stephanie C

Becky and her team were absolutely fantastic! They made my night so seamless and easy for me and my husband - the organization was so easy that we could just relax. They rearranged the room from ceremony to reception extremely quickly. Having the cake included with the venue was... Read More a big bonus (and Konditor Meister makes delicious cakes!) , and the discount offered for a Friday night wedding made it work with our budget. The venue is a perfect size and set-up for a medium-sized wedding (we had 135), and the dance floor is ideal to fit enough people without being too open. All in all, a wonderful experience, location, and team!

Relax and Enjoy the Wedding!

Reviewed on 7/07/2013 Nora L

If I could give this place 6 stars, I would. Great food, great service, exceptional staff, and perfect New England charm. I knew I wanted to get married here just a few hours after I got engaged, and I'm so glad we did. Everything was perfect - even though it rained on my... Read More wedding day, the Barker made up for it! I didn't have to worry about a thing and as soon as the ceremony was over, I breathed a sigh of relief and was able to just enjoy my wedding. Becky and her team took care of everything so I could have fun, socialize, and dance the night away. I am so, so happy with the way everything went with our wedding day. I was worried that serving their delicious swordfish and filet mignon for 100 people wouldn't be as delicious as it usually is, but every guest commented on how great the food was, and what a great place the Barker is overall. We look forward to celebrating our anniversary there and having some swordfish again even sooner!

Barker Tavern

Reviewed on 11/13/2012 Norman H

My wife's family was very familiar to this location as a favorite. When she brought me there to suggest this as a location I was impressed by the old style feel of the building. It was set up for another wedding that showed a great feel for what we wanted for our wedding... Read More day. The staff was extremely polite, professional, and on the day I found I did not have to worry about any of the particulars after about 10 minutes. They were on top of the whole event. There was even a floor manager to keep the wedding on track (i.e. pictures, ceremony, and dance) included in the price. Becky had a wedding planning book that had several chaplains, DJs and photographers that we found useful to our wedding plans (we used Ms. Donna Cunio for the chaplain). She made the event very easy considering we were an out of state couple which made wedding plans difficult. To make a long story short, the food was fantastic, the service was phenomenal, and the location was beautiful. I highly recommend to anyone the Barker for any event or just dinner. You won't regret it.

Amazing!!

Reviewed on 11/09/2012 Julie R

The Barker was the perfect setting for our wedding. We had worried about the size of the dance floor because we knew practically our entire wedding of 140 people would be dancing. But it was fine, they'll actually slide the tables back a little bit after dinner if you need to... Read More make the dance floor bigger. The staff was very attentive to my entire family and myself and groom. Everything was EXACTLY as discussed and I had an amazingly worry-free night. I was able to have fun and enjoy myself with every little detail already taken care of. They also have a list of recommended vendors, some of which we used and LOVED! The Barker is gorgeous inside and out as well. A wonderful back drop for pictures, and Scituate lighthouse just down the street for additional outdoor views! I highly suggest taking a look and falling in love with the Barker!! Julie Richardson

Absolutely amazing service!

Reviewed on 11/07/2012 K S

I would recommend Barker Tavern to anyone. Throughout planning, Becky was immensely helpful and responsive. She provided a helpful planning binder that was so useful during planning. It had information on lead times, other suggested vendors, as well organized tabs for... Read More dresses, tuxes, guest lists, menus, favors, etc. My questions were always answered quickly and thoroughly whenever I emailed or called. Becky was so receptive and flexible when it came to scheduling time to see the reception room as well as follow up meetings for staging the room and other details. She asked for all my other vendors' information and the coordinators at my wedding able to coordinate with them for centerpiece delivery and set up on the day of the wedding. On the day of, the staff was absolutely fantastic. The coordinators present during the reception were amazing. They made sure the bridal party had appetizers, handled bouquets, made sure the bride and groom were fed first, coordinated with the band and even wrapped up my gown at the end of the night (I had a reception dress). My guests raved about their waitstaff and how attentive they were and how they were treated during the meal. The waitstaff even knew which specific meal went with each guest. There was no awkward, "Ok, so at this table we have 4 swordfish, 2 chicken and 2 beef. Who's who?" My guests raved about the food and the food choices. The portions are generous and everything tasted delicious. The cooking staff were so cautious with a couple of unique dietary restrictions among my guests and allowed everyone to be able to enjoy their meal without worries. Of note, the Barker Tavern handled absolutely everything for the reception. I wasn't fussing around setting up tables or centerpieces on the morning of my wedding, I didn't have to chase down linen vendors to match my wedding colors, no crazy coordination with an off-site caterer. Everything was there and included in the price for the reception. There were no surprises with pricing or crazy services charges. It was all upfront and easy. It was so incredibly stress free to work with Barker Tavern.

amazing venue amazing staff

Reviewed on 11/02/2012 Bea g

they went above and beyond. everything went perfect. great location!!

Couldn't Have Been More Perfect

Reviewed on 8/16/2012 Christine R

Words can't describe how wonderful the Barker Tavern and staff was for our wedding! The planning was a breeze thanks to Becky at the Barker. She went above and beyond to answer my questions and give suggestions. Her experience and personality made planning a wedding a... Read More non-stressful event. The day of the reception was just as good! The food was delicious. The room and the planning of the event went exactly as we discussed...actually, better! To top it all off, it's reasonably priced! I highly recommend the Barker for a wedding. I want to give it 10 stars.

Perfect Wedding

Reviewed on 1/15/2012 Sarah F

The Barker, did an amazing job. They exceeded our expectations. The food was amazing and served hot, our guests keep commenting on how great the food was. The Williams room looked stunning, with it's cathedral ceiling and old stone fireplace a blaze. Though at first glance... Read More the dance floor appears to be small it really is more than enough space. The servers and room manager were all attentive and there right when you needed them. We planned our wedding from overseas and Becky was easily accessible via email. Add to that their black and white pricing, no hidden costs at all, we couldn't have picked a better location. I cannot express how wonderful our wedding was in part because of Becky and all her amazing staff!

Couldn't be happier!

Reviewed on 10/27/2011 Becky S

We had our ceremony and reception at the Barker and had simply the best day we could have imagined. Becky and her staff was phenomenal in the planning, the care and attention we got the day of, it felt like family was there taking care of us. The food, the service, the staff,... Read More the atmosphere itself...made the day PERFECT!

2012-01-27T19:34:20 Response from the vendor

That's easy, you are family, your a Barker Bride and that means family to us. Thank you so much for the kind words, we hope to see you on your anniversary.