Photojournalism With a Fine Art Edge

So, you want to have photo-journalistic (candid) images, but also want them to be unique and artistic? My background in photojournalism and fine art will bring something different to your photographs. I take the art of wedding photography to the next level by capturing TRUE in-the-moment emotions, documenting the artistic beauty around you, and providing a lasting view for the small moments that are so significant. It is important to me that you enjoy your big day, without feeling that photography took it over. I promise, you will enjoy it. That is another plus to choosing a photographer with a documentary style. You can check out more about me here: http://lookatthebiggerpicture.com/about/

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Dramatic, Lifestyle, Modern, Vintage

Bridal Portraits, Engagement, Trash The Dress

Getting Engaged, Wedding

Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Weddings, Online Proofing, Digital Files, Printed Enlargements, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing

Grand Rapids-Detroit (734) 812-2028
WEBSITE FACEBOOK PINTEREST

The Bigger Picture Photography - Amazing, beautiful and the best pictures of your day!

Reviewed on 10/27/2013 Danielle R

Meeting Lisa Shaw was a beautiful, beautiful thing. I immediately loved her and I felt like I had just met a new friend. Looking for a wedding photographer seemed daunting, and you get overwhelmed with sticker shock when seeing the prices of other photographers. Lisa and The... Read More Bigger Picture Photography were SO reasonable and I was thrilled to find out that there was an amazing photographer out there for brides-on-a-budget. And her work? Brilliant. She's beyond talented, creative, artistic and she's got an amazing eye for detail. And snaps her camera, capturing these beautiful moments going on during your day, when you're not even aware that she's there snapping the camera. My now-husband always "mocked" my posing-abilities. He was really looking for candid pictures and for pictures that were actually capturing the moment as they happened. And he loved, loved, loved Lisa's work in doing this. When we saw our engagement photos, we both looked at each other, beaming with these huge smiles. Lisa managed to capture "us"...she captured who we are, and really put together awesome photos that were like a storybook...every picture told a story, capturing an emotion, capturing a moment. And the absolute same thing rings true for our beautiful wedding day. And don't worry if you still like the posed photos and if you want those pictures too, especially with your wedding party and family...Lisa does a great mix of both. She'll provide you those posed photos, but she captures even those with a creative and unique edge, making them look artistic and beautiful. Her fun personality and awesome energy will be the first thing you notice, and you'll be so happy that you have someone like her with you on your special day. She's so professional and organized about every detail. Quite simply, she's the best and I would recommend her work to anyone and everyone who wants the best.

Reviewed on 9/15/2017 Hannah B

Lisa was amazing! She was organized and professional, but she was so fun to work with! Everyone felt so comfortable with her and the photos turned out great!

Reviewed on 8/17/2017

Just got our full album of images. AMAZING!

Reviewed on 8/13/2017 Elizabeth C

Having Lisa photograph our wedding was the best decision we could have possibly made! From the day we met her for our engagement session to the final picture she took at our wedding, she took the time to get to know us and what we were hoping to capture through photographs. Her... Read More calm demeanor and sense of humor combined with her artistic talent created the perfect mix. We had so much fun working with her! She interacted with such joy with everyone at our wedding and her photographs reflect that. They tell the story in vivid detail, beautifully capturing the happiest day of our lives. We are forever grateful!

Reviewed on 8/13/2017 Bianka v

When Beth and I started looking for a photographer for our wedding, I knew that I wanted someone who could see the big picture of the composition, not just the portraits of the people in the pictures. I also wanted the photographer to be assertive (because we have a large... Read More combined family), nurturing and kind (because we HATE having photos taken), and someone who would know when to listen to our requests and also know when to make some of the decisions based on their experience. Miraculously, we found such a person in Lisa. Our engagement photos took place at our home. Lisa was great with our barky dogs and quickly made us feel at ease. Laughter and sincerity were both present during the photo shoot and were reflected in the photos. This “magic” continued to our wedding day. Lisa was able to roll with the changing weather and the close to 50 family members who all needed to be corralled. Lisa was able to capture our day in a way that told our story through candid photos and images that radiated love. I would recommend Lisa to anyone who is looking for a photographer who has an artistic flair, a bigger picture perspective, and the flexibility to capture magic whatever the day may bring.

Reviewed on 7/28/2017 Meghan L

Your photos were amazing,. The direction you gave everyone for the photos was well needed and awesome as our family is very big, loud, and at times hard of hearing/taking direction. I cannot wait to see the rest of the photos and I am interested in booking you for my wedding!

Reviewed on 7/26/2017 tonya d

Lisa captured some great moments at my best friends wedding. She was very professional and patient with the large wedding party. She really captured the love and the personalities of both the bride and the groom. I would definitely recommend.

Reviewed on 7/24/2017 Ashley S

Lisa is so great! She did our engagement photos as well as our wedding photos. She's not afraid to pose you if needed and she always caught the light just right. I'm so happy with how she was able to truly capture the emotion on the day of our wedding. Especially because I... Read More didn't even notice she was there! I'd recommend her to anyone. She's professional, available by email, answered my 1,000 questions I of course had. We've worked with several other photographers getting family photos done and she is by far the best we've worked with. And now the only one we'll work with :)

Reviewed on 7/24/2017 Lauryn P

Lisa was incredible to work with for my best friends wedding! Very professional, but made sure we all had a great time.

Reviewed on 7/07/2017 Christina H

Lisa is an absolute gem! She made my husband and I feel so comfortable, relaxed, and organized throughout all the chaos that comes with a wedding! Lisa is kind, creative, and respectful. We received so many great shots! She honestly felt like a part of our family with the amount... Read More of support and love she expressed. She captured our truest moments and has a great eye for detail. Posed photos can get old, so it was great to have the photojournalism style to our candid photos. Lisa communicated with us every step of the wedding process and we were thrilled she provided us with a suggested timeline. It truly kept the entire wedding party organized! Planning a wedding from down south was a challenge but Lisa made it so smooth! We are forever grateful that she was there to capture one of the happiest moments of our lives!

2017-07-13T12:38:15 Response from the vendor

This made me smile so much!! Thank you for that. I truly had a blast with you guys. Laughing so hard! Best wishes to you cuties. Thank you again!

Reviewed on 12/24/2016 Kat M

Lisa is such a lovely person. She was the first and only photographer we met while planning our wedding. We selected a package that included an engagement session, and that really helped my husband and I feel comfortable in front of the camera. She has a photojournalistic... Read More style where many photos are candid, but she gave direction and ideas for poses to get started. The engagement pictures were well done but I wasn't so pleased with how I looked in them, so having the engagement session as a "trial" really helped me be more aware of how I smiled and composed myself for our wedding day pics. Our wedding pics were phenomenal. I loved how both myself and my husband looked in them, and even some family members who are not particularly photogenic looked great in them! The posed family pictures were just as good as the organic, observed moments she captured. She managed to turn personal, trivial exchanges into beautiful snapshots, such as when my husband was showing me a cut on his hand, or when our nephew was touching the embroidery on my dress. We also have an aunt that is the "designated photographer" at family events with her own camera, and Lisa handled that with grace and professionalism. Our aunt kept setting up shots and telling people to get together and pose during the reception, and I noticed Lisa would take the opportunity to snap photos of other people enjoying themselves, or taking ring detail shots instead. She was very prompt and responsive to emails or texts, and was always professional, very easy going, and sweet. I did not enjoy wedding planning, and she made the photography part of planning very easy to manage. I would've preferred to have a more low-key, private celebration, but ultimately decided to have a wedding because my husband wanted one and for our families to enjoy. When we got the sneak peek from Lisa, I was so pleased with how they came out that it made me feel like the wedding was worth it. We are not a physically affectionate couple but many friends and family said they were able to see the love captured in the photos. I highly recommend Lisa and believe her work rivals other wedding photographers with much higher starting price points. She's definitely an artist that also photographs weddings -- she knows her stuff.

Reviewed on 12/24/2016 Julianne C

Lisa did a nice job with our photos!

Reviewed on 12/13/2016 Katie G

Lisa provided us with a lot of unique and artistic shots from our wedding day. She did a great job of using the varied setting of our venue to give us many different backgrounds for our photos. Turn around time was quick for product delivery. Having a second shooter was also... Read More great to capture different perspectives.

Reviewed on 11/28/2016 Andy C

Lisa did a great job on our wedding day. We had a unique set-up and she was able to cover all of it.

Reviewed on 11/28/2016 Andy C

Reviewed on 11/27/2016

So happy with our pictures and with Lisa. She was so easy to work with and helped us both relax and be comfortable. We have gotten so many compliments on how beautiful the pictures turned out and how perfectly they captured our personalities.

Reviewed on 11/21/2016 Denise H

Lisa was phenomenal! From our first phone call, she was the ultimate professional. She returned any phone call or email quickly. She is incredibly warm and funny. She made us feel at ease when we were both nervous and reluctant to be photographed on our wedding day. Her work... Read More is the best. She captured every moment for us in such wonderful pictures. We couldn't have been happier with all of the photographs. Her unique eye for capturing special moments made our pictures one of a kind. We would recommend her to anyone. We just loved her and our pictures!

Bigger Picture Photography

Reviewed on 12/22/2015

I loved Lisa! I am not a very photogenic person, but she made me feel comfortable the entire time. The pictures were fantastic. I would recommend The Bigger Picture Photography to anyone!!!

Reviewed on 12/21/2015 Mike H

Words can't express how happy I am with The Bigger Picture Photography. When I look at the photos, I'm overwhelmed with all the amazing emotions I felt that day - the love, joy, happiness and pure bliss of marrying my best friend at Michigan Stadium (our favourite place on... Read More earth) in the presence of our closest family and friends. Our wedding was truly the best day of our lives and Lisa captured every moment as no one else could. I am so grateful for her and would recommend her to anyone!

Great Pictures

Reviewed on 12/14/2015

Lisa is a great photographer. She always had a great personality and vision towards getting the very best pictures. She definitely went the extra mile to make our big day very memorable. All of her pictures she took at our wedding were very crisp and clean. I highly... Read More recommend her to anybody for quality memories at any occasion.

Lisa Shaw

Reviewed on 12/14/2015

Lisa is amazing! I loved her unique ability to capture my wedding. I knew I had to have her as soon as I saw her wedding pictures and I'm so glad I got her. She responded so fast to any email or phone call which is so nice when you're planning a wedding. I get endless... Read More compliments about my pictures. I would definitely recommend anyone looking for those classic wedding photos but also wants unique and edgy ones to go with Lisa!

Amazing From Start To Finish

Reviewed on 12/14/2015 Najette J

Lisa was amazing from start to finish, especially considering the long day that lasted 12 hours from start to finish. She had every detail planned out ahead of time and executed flawlessly across multiple locations. I would recommend her for your wedding without question.

Reviewed on 10/31/2015 Amy M

Creative, talented, unique. Best decision I've ever made. Our pictures our priceless and one-of-a-kind. Nothing cookie cutter. Seriously worth every penny. Lisa was a breath of fresh air to work with and I am 100% satisfied with how everything turned out.

Great Pics

Reviewed on 9/19/2015

Lisa did a great job with our wedding pictures. We wanted more of a photojournalism-style picture set and Lisa definitely delivered. She did a great job taking us around town and setting up interesting backgrounds for our pictures.

The Bigger Picture

Reviewed on 9/11/2015

The Bigger Picture was everything we were looking for in photography services. Photography was a large part of our overall budget for our small wedding but it really appears you get what you pay for. Lisa is a talented artist and her style was exactly what we had envisioned.... Read More She worked with us to get what we wanted within our budget. I would love to hire her in the future for portraits of our family.

LISA SHAW

Ten years ago friends had asked me to shoot their wedding. I said that I wasn't a wedding photographer. At the time I was working as a photojournalist and an artist. They asked me to shoot their day, just like I was covering one of my stories. They were interested in documentary-style but loved the fine art aspect and my compositions. So, I did it and fell in love with it. I have been focused on weddings ever since. The stories, the emotions, family, the love... It is a beautiful thing. Love is IT in this world. The only WHY. I am grateful that I get to document it.