The Special Ingredient

American, Eastern European, French, Indian, Italian, Latin American, Middle Eastern, Fusion

Dietary Options

Food + Catering

PO Box 432, Hingham, MA

Incredible Food and Service for a BPL Wedding!

Reviewed on 8/04/2012 Jennifer A

I had my wedding at the BPL (James Hansen was our event producer and wonderful to work with). The Catered Affair did an incredible job with the presentation of the food, delivery, and taste. I had so many compliments about how wonderful the dinner was, as well as my cake and... Read More added desert items! From cocktail hour to the reception the food and drinks did not stop flowing, and everything was absolutely delicious. I would hire them for any wedding or event in the near future! Jen & Brad

Best cocktails ever and incredible food!

Reviewed on 2/17/2012 Catherine M

The Catered Affair is incredible. The woman we worked with leading up to our wedding (Erin Davies who works with The Catered Affair at the BPL) helped us put together our dream wedding with the perfect mix of cocktails (everything from a prosecco and passionfruit drink to dark... Read More and stormys), a beer bar, wines, and amazing foods. The food was perfect, we received numerous compliments from all of our guests on the mini lobster rolls during the cocktail hour to the steak and miso cod during dinner to the mini sliders and parmesan truffle fries as a late night snack. It was all delicious and the service was impeccable. The one lesson learned is be explicit with how you would like your cake decorated. Their cakes are delicious and they do a nice job decorating them (I've seen pictures). I wasn't as clear with my vision and it ended up looking quite plain. All in all, I would strongly recommend The Catered Affair. You will not be disappointed!!

Bad taste in my mouth...

Reviewed on 2/06/2012 Anna T

I first approached the Catered Affair in September/October of 2011 for a wedding in September of 2012. Right off the bat, I felt like I was being rushed off the phone and that the company didn't really have time for me. I realized it was a busy time, but I felt like the service... Read More could have been better. Ultimately, they did put a proposal together, but I'd say it took them at least a month to respond to my initial request. When I called to try and ask them to expedite my request, I was basically told that I was needlessly concerned about the timing. Finally, we got to a point when it was time to set up a tasting. Because they were so busy, the company was unable to accommodate my schedule - I am from out of town so I needed to do a tasting on a weekend. In late October / November, they said that their only availability was in mid-January and they could only do my tasting on Saturday. All other caterers I spoke with were much more accommodating about scheduling and were willing to compromise and do a tasting on Sunday due to the fact that I was traveling over the weekend for specifically that purpose. So, finally, the tasting was scheduled. I must say, the food and presentation were excellent. No complaints. However, the price differential between this company and their competitors was over $10,000! This included all rentals, staff, etc. There was some back and forth with my sales person on this point. They reduced the price about $3,000, but because their original estimate did not include everything I needed, the overall quote I got back came out to roughly the same spot. When I spoke to my salesperson about this differential, I was told that there was no way they could come down on pricing. I was truly disappointed. I thought the food was great, but there was no way I could justify the huge differential and the poor value proposition. In particular, I had problems with the fact that the mark-up is about 30-40%. This is HUGE and to be told that it can't be reduced at all just felt like a ripoff. There was an 8% admin fee which they did explain, but the services that it included should have been covered by the enormous mark-up priced into the estimate. The icing on the cake was that throughout the whole process, my salesperson kept referring to their excellent staff and service - service that I didn't experience. My fiance and I ultimately ended up going with a caterer that had great food, was very accommodating and offered excellent service. I would say that if you're just looking for great food and are not very value conscious nor very sensitive to differences in service, this company would do a great job and has delicious food. However, for me, even though I could certainly afford the difference, the fact that the value proposition was so inferior and that the company refused to compromise on price just left a bad taste in my mouth. At the end of the day, even though we could pay the extra $10,000, I realized that I would not enjoy working with the team due to their lack of flexibility.

Above and Beyond

Reviewed on 11/28/2011 Sarah M

At every step, CA at the BPL delivered in every way and then some. Would use them for every single event I ever have if I could!!!

Catered Affair at the Boston Public Library

Reviewed on 6/18/2011 Lucy G

We used the Catered Affair for our wedding at the BPL and they were tremendous. The food was delicious, the drinks flowed, and the staff was phenomenal. No detail went unnoticed.

TO The Catered Affair