Cuisine

American, Eastern European, French, Indian, Italian, Latin American, Middle Eastern, Fusion

Dietary Options

Vegetarian

Food + Catering

Bow2010

PO Box 432, Hingham, MA (781) 982-9333

Reviewed on 11/22/2016 Zachary W

We got married at the Boston Public Library in November 2016. It was an incredible experience! The wedding exceeded every one of our expectations and our guests were blown away. We worked with Faith and Erica at The Catered Affair and they were incredible. Leading up to the... Read More wedding, they were always on top of everything, very well organized, and quick to respond to any questions. They had great advice and were an excellent resource. The day of, everything went perfectly. The Catered Affair staff were incredible and the service was impeccable. The food was absolutely perfect. It was exactly as we had experienced when we did our tasting. If you are looking for the perfect Boston site to have your wedding and to work with incredible, talented people then the BPL and The Catered Affair are the perfect combination. Again, it was the perfect day for us and could not have imagined it any more perfect than it was.

Reviewed on 11/11/2015 Robyn B

The Catered Affair made our wedding dreams come true. Seriously, the whole event was so immaculate, profession, seamless and classy. I wish everything and every partner I worked with had this outcome. The BPL setting speaks for itself but they still found a way to enhance it... Read More and make it feel like another world. Just writing this now gives me goosebumps. If you work with the Catered Affair you must absolutely request Alyssa Nichols as your coordinator or as I call her, your wedding Chief Operations Officer. She was an absolute dream and made so many amazing things happen. I think we were probably one of the larger weddings the BPL has hosted and we were planning it remotely from the west coast so it was a big responsibility and she kept all parties calm and happy, listened very well, helped negotiate discounts, recommended fabulous vendors and partners, and did a lot of real time problem solving. Alyssa even sewed up my bustle at the end of the night (in three stitches only!) so that I could enjoy the after party. Again, the level of professionalism and class this organization carries and instills in their entire staff is exactly what you want for a wedding. One more important thing to note is that the food was OUTSTANDING. Everyone was raving and we had 250 people saying they had perfectly cooked steaks. Thank you Catered Affair!

Reviewed on 10/20/2015

We had a perfect wedding at the Boston Public Library thanks to Annie Sarkis and the group at The Catered Affair! You wouldn't believe the tight ship they run: everything was well thought out and delivered to a level of perfection I didn't know was possible!

TCA - True Professionals

Reviewed on 9/04/2015

I used The Catered Affair for our wedding at the Boston Public Library one month ago. Eliza and Alyssa were the wedding coordinators assigned to us, which in retrospect was the moment we struck gold. These women epitomize professionalism, they are ARTISTS in their trade. We... Read More worked with these ladies from the day we signed the contract, and still corresponding with them today sharing photos and words from the affair. Our wedding was a month ago and my husband and I are still very much so on cloud nine from the whole entire event thanks to Eliza, Alyssa, and their wonderful staff - when I tell you that the night was beyond our wildest dreams, I mean I had the whole event pictured in my head and each minute exceeded my expectations. Not one stone was left unturned, each time I felt even one inkling of stress, there they were already taking care of it before I could even open my mouth. The photos and stories from guests do all of the talking, this night was truly a fairly tale. I'd like to draw attention back to Eliza and Alyssa because without these ladies our wedding night would have been a hot mess. Among our 15+ meetings, they took us through the design process, the menu, the flow of the night, the schedule of events, every single wedding party member, as well as connected with each vendor regularly. Now, I certainly could have let go of the reigns and met with them only a few times and they would have planed a wonderful night - BUT I was enthralled by the whole process and wanted to very much so be part of it. They were welcoming (and professional when I was a little too much part of it), and their organization made me feel confident leaving each meeting. Lastly, Eliza and Alyssa's natural intuition really brought the night to life, they attended to every detail (most of which I would have never thought possible) which made my night stress free. I still relive every detail through the photos and memory - a big THANK YOU to the whole TCA team!!!

The Catered Affair at BPL was FABULOUS!

Reviewed on 1/31/2015 Katherine T

I held my wedding reception at the Boston Public Library this past June and absolutely LOVED working with TCA! Erin was an absolute dream to work with and held my hand throughout the entire planning process (I'm not very good at making decisions). Honestly, our meetings became... Read More therapeutic for me by the end. Some highlights: The setting! Anyone who has entered the McKim building at the BPL knows what a dramatic and beautiful setting it is (marble staircases, frescos, columns, cloistered courtyard). After we booked the venue, I had doubts that it might even be *too* formal for what we were interested in, and Erin and I set out on a path to create a warm and intimate evening in a grand venue. We held cocktails in the courtyard, dinner in Bates Hall, and dancing in the sultry Abbey room. I wasn't entirely sure how it would work to eat separately from our dancing venue, since most weddings I've attended were all held in the same location, but Erin was a total pro and reassured me that it actually works *better* than holding everything in the same room so that guests don't have to sit and listen to loud music while they talk! The entire evening flowed smoothly and each transition, from cocktails to dinner to dancing to dessert buffet, was seamless. The decor was stunning: I was nervous about transforming a library setting into a formal venue for a sit-down dinner, but Erin and her crew really nailed the look that we were going for. We managed to create a elegant but rustic look inside Bates hall that still felt cozy and intimate. My friends and family *still* talk about walking into Bates hall for the first time and how stunned they were to see such a beautiful setting. The food was out-of-this-world good, not only by "wedding food" standards but for any dinner out that you could imagine. We even had mini late-night snacks (sliders, parmesan fries, wings) that were a huge hit with the guests. We also had our own personal server, responsible only for the bride and groom, who made sure that our glasses were always full and that we actually had a chance to EAT the fabulous food we had planned. Most brides say they never get to actually enjoy the food at their own wedding - that was NOT going to fly with me. Such a classy touch. My mother had given us engraved crystal champagne flutes as a wedding present, and Erin and TCA happily set them out at our place settings for dinner so we could toast each other on the day of our marriage with this special gift. They were returned in beautiful condition - what a thoughtful surprise! Can't recommend working with TCA highly enough, and couldn't be happier with the results!

The Catered Affair

Reviewed on 8/05/2014 Beth H

We had our wedding at the Boston Public Library and The Catered Affair was the catering company. We had the absolute BEST experience! The food was absolutely amazing and the staff was extremely professional. It felt like we were dining at a 5 star restaurant. James Hansen was... Read More our event coordinator and I couldn't have done any of it without him! He made the planning process enjoyable and not stressful at all. Overall, we were more than thrilled with everything that The Catered Affair did for us and we would highly recommend it.

Interpretation, Service, and Quality Perfection

Reviewed on 10/07/2013 Beth S

I could not have done it without the catered affair and Kate Nixon. They were the absolute best. Kate was able to transform my vision into a beautiful evening and listen to every single word and detail. The food was absolutely incredible. Food was my husbands top priority... Read More and we vetted numerous caterers before choosing the catered affair. We know our food and wanted it to be us and taste amazing, and it certainly did. They revised and edited our menu until it was exactly what we were looking for. The staff, the service, the food and the professionalism was incredible! Thank you so much and we are looking forward to future events!

There's a reason they were voted Best of Boston!

Reviewed on 8/23/2013 Megan D

Cannot say enough good things - our guests are still raving about the food. From an amazing gourmet cheese presentation, to a delectable wedding cake, and every delicious morsel in between. Everything they put out was top notch. We knew at our tasting that we would not be... Read More disappointed. They can also help you navigate options within your budget. For example, we opted to not offer steak as an entree, but added additional appetizers that contained steak, etc. Our event planner at TCA was amazing and had wonderful helpful suggestions throughout the process - without being pushy at all. Really a wonderful vendor, you will not be disappointed!

Best Night of My Life!

Reviewed on 7/10/2013 Emily B

We cannot say enough about our experience with The Catered Affair at the Boston Public Library. The staff - James Hansen, in particular - was truly a pleasure to work with. Their responsiveness, attention to detail, and enthusiasm made not only our wedding reception, but the... Read More entire planning process a positive and memorable one. I would recommend The Catered Affair at the Boston Public Library to anyone looking to host an elegant event with incredible food and service.

Fantastic Food & Service

Reviewed on 6/27/2013 Parker S

I've never heard more people talk about the food at a wedding. Usually it flies under the radar; however, everyone was raving about their food. The main courses were amazing! The Catered Affair worked with us to customize everything. We gave them some ideas and themes and... Read More they ran with it! The options they provided us gave us more than enough to choose from =). What we ended up choose exceeded our expectations. Not only was the presentation absolutely beautiful, but the food was amazing. Nancy was our onsite manager during the wedding. AMAZING! She was basically the wedding coordinator for everything and made sure everything happend when it needed to. They really are so much more than a caterer. My mind was at ease the whole night because of the fantastic job Nancy and her staff did. Not one glitch! They thought ahead to avoid any issues and the night worked out perfectly!

A Fairy Tale Library Wedding

Reviewed on 6/13/2013 Stephanie P

Our wedding at the library last month was amazing, and not simply because the venue was so exquisite. The food was incredible and the staff was tremendously detail-oriented, responsive, professional, and attentive to us and our guests. We were in great hands from inception, as... Read More soon as we entered the planning phases over a year ago. While we were heavily involved in this stage, our Event Producer, Erin Davies, was so creative and well-organized that we did not need to be. She allowed us to customize our event while also helping us conceptualize without ever getting overwhelmed. We were aware of all of our options, from a small, elegant wedding in the Map Room downstairs to a large production in the upstairs Bates Room (which we ended up executing). Everyone we encountered, from my bridal attendant to the many waiters and bartenders on staff, exuded professionalism and helped keep the flow of the event moving, and we have heard glowingly positive feedback - especially about the quality of the food and the pace at which it was served. People seemed amazed that the meat, chicken, vegetarian option, and cake all came from the same caterer, yet all were delicious! The risotto was my particular favorite, and many guests from Italy even loved the pasta. The filet could be cut with a butter knife. It was really great not to look elsewhere for a cake...our carrot cake, which we interspersed with other layered flavors for variety, was of the highest quality. All of this feedback has contributed to our post-wedding bliss. It was an amazing experience, and we are so grateful to the TCA at BPL for their dedication and hard-work.

Yay!

Reviewed on 10/27/2012 Joanna H

Our wedding at the Boston Public Library was everything we hoped for and more. My husband and I feel so lucky to have started our marriage off with such a wonderful celebration, and Erin Davies and the rest of the Catered Affair staff were instrumental in putting it... Read More together. Erin proved to be responsive, reliable, and knowledgeable throughout the planning process. She handled everything we threw at her with aplomb: our long emails full of questions were answered quickly and thoroughly; our various moments of indecision were met with useful and creative suggestions; and our concerns about the wedding day schedule and budget were respected. Her job must be intensely stressful, but she never showed it -- at every meeting, she was cheery and reassuringly competent. On the day of the wedding, the Catered Affair ran the whole event seamlessly. We had a rainy forecast, and Erin was amazingly accommodating as we went back and forth about whether to use the indoor ceremony location. (We ended up staying with the outdoor plan, and it was fantastic.) The venue is gorgeous by itself (we had our ceremony in the courtyard and our reception in the Popular Reading Room), and the staff did a great job making it even more lovely by setting up our centerpieces and arranging the other decorations. Everything was orchestrated professionally, from the coordination of the processional to the dinner service to the cake cutting. The food was delicious. Their menu has a huge number of options, and they were even willing to make an off-menu soup for us when we mentioned in one of the meetings that we thought it might be nice. We didn't eat as much at the wedding as we usually do (too excited!), but they sent us home with a bag full of extra hors d'oeuvres and cake, which was a feast the next day. We have so many happy memories from our wedding, and we're grateful to the Catered Affair for helping to make them!

The Catered Affair Made My Wedding a Dream!

Reviewed on 10/21/2012 Susan W

The Catered Affair team was absolutely phenomenal. Eliza Rafferty, in particular, was the best hostess we could have asked for. She was incredibly responsive and professional, while also being creative and flexible. She was so organized and always kept us on track about what... Read More needed to be done by when, while also remaining calm and not making us feel overwhelmed. She guided us through the process in such a supportive way, always knowing when to let us make our own decisions versus when to make suggestions and propose fresh ideas herself. She helped us come up with so many unique touches that made the evening truly magical. She made us so comfortable, and we ALWAYS felt we were in the best of hands. We were also thrilled with the quality of the food and the additional Catered Affair staff. The variety and preparations of the appetizers, dinner and cake were exquisite - couldn't have asked for better. Everything was executed flawlessly. We got so many compliments on both the food and the venue, and Eliza and her team were instrumental in making our wedding everything we hoped it would be. I cannot say enough great things about Eliza and the Catered Affair team. We ADORED them!!!

Wouldn't Have Changed A Thing

Reviewed on 10/03/2012 Makena C

I couldn't possibly rave more about my experience with the Catered Affair. From the first second I set foot in the library, I knew that it was my dream venue. Overall, it can be an expensive venue, but CA worked with me in a very open and honest way about how I could stay within... Read More my budget (while still hosting an elegant, unique event) -- and for the quality of the service, the amazing food and the overall attention to detail the slight premium was absolutely worth it. In the weeks leading up to my wedding I was not stressed in the least bit because I was fully confident that our coordinator (James Hansen) and his team would be able to execute everything perfectly and according to my wishes. They worked seamlessly with all of my vendors to ensure that things were carried out to plan and in many cases, enhanced my overall vision. For instance, they supplied gorgeous vintage books, mercury glass votives and table number frames to complement my flower arrangements and help me pull of the vintage/romantic table settings I had pictured in my mind. I didn't see the actual table arrangement until the day of and they were beyond what I had ever imagined. The event also ran without a hitch from start to finish. James and his team facilitated the flow of events, while also remaining flexible and being mindful of not being intrusive to the experience. (We started in the courtyard and then went to the public reading room and ended with dancing in the maproom cafe, so I'm sure it was like herding cats at times). James has also mastered the art of making recommendations that enhanced the experience without being pushy. He has a lot of event planning experience and it really showed. In fact, the Catered Affair's track record was a major draw for me, as I wanted a vendor I could truly trust. Lastly, the service and food were perfection. As the bride, there was nothing more I could have asked for in terms of attention to my needs (I never went hungry or had an empty champagne glass). From the second we walked into the bridal suite to a wine and cheese display to going home in the evening with our tray of appetizer to enjoy in our hotel room, it was a TRUE five-star experience that took our every need into consideration! I know I'm gushing....but they absolutely deserve it.

The only venue and Vendor to use for your wedding

Reviewed on 10/01/2012 Erin M

I have been sitting at my computer for a while now, trying to find the words to express how wonderful my experience was, but I can't seem to. When I first met Erin Davies with The Catered Affair, I knew I had found the perfect person to work with on our wedding. She welcomed me... Read More with a big hug and I knew she was as excited about the wedding as I was. Given the number of events she does, I don't know how she keeps the enthusiasm so fresh and so honest that I felt as though mine was the only wedding she was doing for the whole year. I am a fairly laid back bride, I did not stress the details. The reason I was allowed to feel so stress free and to really and truly enjoy the experience is 100% because of Erin and TCA. Erin was constantly in touch with me, keeping me on track with the details that needed attention, and reminding me of the details that were not worth my energy. The planning was so smooth and effortless that I did not have one single moment during the whole process that I felt even remotely overwhelmed. When the day of the wedding arrived, I felt like royalty. Erin took care of every detail. She had mentioned that the staff (including the AMAZING Pearl) were going to be available for our every need. She wasn't kidding. There was not one moment where I needed a single thing. The staff was invisible, taking care of every detail of the day seamlessly. And when I did need something (whether it was a fresh drink, something to eat, or to get away from a conversation with a relative that went on for one second too long) before I even had the thought, there was someone right by my side taking care of it. To say that I had the "wedding of my dreams" would imply that I could have ever dreamed of something so wonderful. In my wildest imagination I couldn't have pictured something that even compared to the day that we had. Our guests have sent us thank you cards for the day, that's the first I've ever heard of that. To Erin, Pearl and the whole staff at TCA at the BPL, thank you seems small in comparison to what you did for Ben and I. You made our day so special, it wouldn't have been complete without you.

AMAZING job!

Reviewed on 9/14/2012 Frances C

(OK this is a little bit wordy, but I feel like you want to know a lot about where you might have your wedding or event right?) From our first meeting with the Catered Affair at the BPL we had nothing but wonderful things to say about Erin Davies, our wedding coordinator, and... Read More the entire staff at the BPL. They were amazing! The tasting at the BPL was amazing - the food was delicious, and when we were concerned that there wasn't a cake choice we wanted to try on the menu they made us a cake to take home in the flavor we wanted - and this was a pretty substantial cake too! Not just cupcake-sized. We had our wedding ceremony and cocktail hour in the courtyard of the BPL, and the reception was in the Popular Reading Room. I was personally not that picky on certain things, such as the cake and decorations around their mantle, and trusted Erin and her team to use the fresh flowers to decorate - and our cake was beyond beautiful and the mantle (where we had wedding pictures of our grandparents) was stunning! Erin and the staff at the library were very responsive to any issues my husband and I had, as well as any questions my mother had and was always willing to have us come meet for a bit to discuss anything that was on our minds. I get very nervous when the attention is on me, and Erin made me feel so comfortable and calm, and I had a massive weight lifted off my shoulders knowing her and her team were there on our day, and had full confidence any situation or problem would be handled flawlessly. For the rehearsal everything was so calm but also efficient, and on our wedding day - well it just couldn't have gone any better if we had done it 10 times over!! It was absolutely beautiful, happy, fun and relaxed! Erin was AMAZING!!! and so was the entire BPL staff!!!! Can't say enough wonderful things about them all - and the FOOD!!!!!! the chef was incredibly flexible with our menu - we decided to offer 2 stations instead of 3 in order to stay within our budget and still be able to offer a good cut of steak and some nice things, which still left our guests 6 main courses to choose from plus sides. Everyone I talked to at the wedding and everyone since went up for seconds or thirds, and I keep getting so many compliments on the hor d'ovrs (spelled that wrong sorry!). They were DELISH and everyone loved the choices, the presentation, and the efficiency of the staff. We had our wedding 3 weeks ago, and people are still raving about the food. Overall give the Catered Affair and their staff 5 stars all around. The only thing I'm sad about is that we didn't get a ton of leftovers to bring back to the hotel and eat because people probably ate everything there!! I hope this review helps you make the decision to use the Catered Affair for any of your weddings or events!!

Amazing!

Reviewed on 9/05/2012 Alexis T

TCA at the Boston Public Library was incredible. As an event planner myself, my standards are tough but TCA defnitely passed the test. Our wedding was no exception. Their attention to detail and customer service are unsurpased. Not mention their expertise in managing events at... Read More such a historic venue, which brings its logistical challenges. Our guests felt like true "guests." My husband and our immediate family were treated like royalty. If you want an unsurpased experience at a beautiful venue, then look no further!

Best wedding food and great people

Reviewed on 8/22/2012 Limor W

I worked with Alec throughout the process and he did a great job. With TCA you get what you pay for and more. We had a few issues with the first tasting (I asked for a particular first course) and they invited us back for a second time and took into consideration all of our... Read More comments. The food at the wedding came out great and our guests could not stop talking about it. We had the sushi station during the cocktail hour and guests loved it and the quality was great (I usually worry about large quantities of sushi). TCA was very easy to work with and tried to accommodate us whenever they had a chance. Last minute I asked to add a few summery virgin drinks for our outdoor ceremony and Alec added them with no extra charge -- and they were yummy!!

Delicious

Reviewed on 8/12/2012 Tamara M

The Catered Affair did the catering for our wedding. The food was absolutely delicious. Our guests keep on making comments about how wonderful the food was at our wedding. The presentation was also inventive and well-done. We couldn't have been happier with the food at our... Read More wedding.

An amazing wedding at the BPL with the help of The

Reviewed on 8/05/2012 Caitlin C

The Boston Public Library provides a magnificently beautiful and yet intimate venue right in the heart of the city. The experienced, professional and creative wedding planner from The Catered Affair guided us throughout the entire planning process. Ultimately, we were truly able... Read More to create a wedding that was a reflection of ourselves as a couple as well as an amazing celebration with all our family and friends.

Incredible Food and Service for a BPL Wedding!

Reviewed on 8/04/2012 Jennifer A

I had my wedding at the BPL (James Hansen was our event producer and wonderful to work with). The Catered Affair did an incredible job with the presentation of the food, delivery, and taste. I had so many compliments about how wonderful the dinner was, as well as my cake and... Read More added desert items! From cocktail hour to the reception the food and drinks did not stop flowing, and everything was absolutely delicious. I would hire them for any wedding or event in the near future! Jen & Brad

Best cocktails ever and incredible food!

Reviewed on 2/17/2012 Catherine M

The Catered Affair is incredible. The woman we worked with leading up to our wedding (Erin Davies who works with The Catered Affair at the BPL) helped us put together our dream wedding with the perfect mix of cocktails (everything from a prosecco and passionfruit drink to dark... Read More and stormys), a beer bar, wines, and amazing foods. The food was perfect, we received numerous compliments from all of our guests on the mini lobster rolls during the cocktail hour to the steak and miso cod during dinner to the mini sliders and parmesan truffle fries as a late night snack. It was all delicious and the service was impeccable. The one lesson learned is be explicit with how you would like your cake decorated. Their cakes are delicious and they do a nice job decorating them (I've seen pictures). I wasn't as clear with my vision and it ended up looking quite plain. All in all, I would strongly recommend The Catered Affair. You will not be disappointed!!

Bad taste in my mouth...

Reviewed on 2/06/2012 Anna T

I first approached the Catered Affair in September/October of 2011 for a wedding in September of 2012. Right off the bat, I felt like I was being rushed off the phone and that the company didn't really have time for me. I realized it was a busy time, but I felt like the service... Read More could have been better. Ultimately, they did put a proposal together, but I'd say it took them at least a month to respond to my initial request. When I called to try and ask them to expedite my request, I was basically told that I was needlessly concerned about the timing. Finally, we got to a point when it was time to set up a tasting. Because they were so busy, the company was unable to accommodate my schedule - I am from out of town so I needed to do a tasting on a weekend. In late October / November, they said that their only availability was in mid-January and they could only do my tasting on Saturday. All other caterers I spoke with were much more accommodating about scheduling and were willing to compromise and do a tasting on Sunday due to the fact that I was traveling over the weekend for specifically that purpose. So, finally, the tasting was scheduled. I must say, the food and presentation were excellent. No complaints. However, the price differential between this company and their competitors was over $10,000! This included all rentals, staff, etc. There was some back and forth with my sales person on this point. They reduced the price about $3,000, but because their original estimate did not include everything I needed, the overall quote I got back came out to roughly the same spot. When I spoke to my salesperson about this differential, I was told that there was no way they could come down on pricing. I was truly disappointed. I thought the food was great, but there was no way I could justify the huge differential and the poor value proposition. In particular, I had problems with the fact that the mark-up is about 30-40%. This is HUGE and to be told that it can't be reduced at all just felt like a ripoff. There was an 8% admin fee which they did explain, but the services that it included should have been covered by the enormous mark-up priced into the estimate. The icing on the cake was that throughout the whole process, my salesperson kept referring to their excellent staff and service - service that I didn't experience. My fiance and I ultimately ended up going with a caterer that had great food, was very accommodating and offered excellent service. I would say that if you're just looking for great food and are not very value conscious nor very sensitive to differences in service, this company would do a great job and has delicious food. However, for me, even though I could certainly afford the difference, the fact that the value proposition was so inferior and that the company refused to compromise on price just left a bad taste in my mouth. At the end of the day, even though we could pay the extra $10,000, I realized that I would not enjoy working with the team due to their lack of flexibility.

Bad taste in my mouth...

Reviewed on 2/06/2012 Anna T

Above and Beyond

Reviewed on 11/28/2011 Sarah M

At every step, CA at the BPL delivered in every way and then some. Would use them for every single event I ever have if I could!!!

Start a Conversation!