Book Your Wedding with The Essex Room

A BALLROOM IN ESSEX, MA

The Banquet Hall. The Essex Room has a spacious air-conditioned banquet hall, which can accommodate up to 300 guests for a seated reception. A fully equipped kitchen and available on-site catering facilities ensure prompt, personalized service from cocktails to dinner. When requested, outside catering service is also allowed.

The Garden. The wedding ceremony can also be done outdoors in the romantic clearing, where a lush, green lawn and canopy of trees provide lots of photo opportunities in the classic, coastal countryside. The garden can be set up to accommodate a smaller, more intimate ceremony of 75 guests, or a larger group up to 300 people, as the occasion demands.

Weddings at The Essex Room are handled by a top-notch team of event planners who will work very hard to deliver a beautiful and memorable wedding experience.

All wedding packages include the use of an altar or arches, bridal suite, set-up and clean-up, chairs and tables, china, glassware, flatware and linens. Cake cutting service is provided, but couples will need to order their wedding cake separately. Bartending service, barware and beverages are also contracted separately.

In-house catering services are available, although outside caterers are also permitted. The in-house service can provide options for a buffet set-up, cocktails reception and plated dinner, along with entrée, appetizer and dessert stations. The menu revolves around classic American cuisine, and it can be customized to accommodate special dietary needs, such as gluten-free, lactose-free, nut-free, kosher, vegetarian or vegan.

A rehearsal dinner package is also available. It includes set-up and clean-up, linen, glassware, chairs, tables and servers. A separate food session may be arranged.

For brides and grooms who just can’t find the right spot for their outdoor wedding ceremony, the team at The Essex Room will go out of their way to set up an off-site ceremony at one of several nearby places on scenic Cape Ann. Two of the popular choices are Stagefort Park in Gloucester or Manchester-by-the-Sea. At The Essex Room, it’s not just the place. It’s also the experience.

Couples may also expect the following:

• As separate food session may be requested
  • The space is wheelchair-accessible
  • Overnight accommodations less than a mile away
  • Easy access to public transportation
  • Availability to commune with nature
  • Free parking

Simple Elegance and Classic Romance

Classic style and sophistication meet comfort and affordability at the favorite venue for weddings, parties, celebrations on Boston's North Shore! Make it an event to remember and give your guests something to talk about at The Essex Room on Cape Ann!

Ballroom, Waterfront, Garden

125 Main Street, Essex, MA (978) 768-7335

Reviewed on 10/16/2017 Sarah O

We are so glad that we chose The Essex Room for our wedding! To start, it is in a beautiful and convenient location with plenty of parking, set on the Essex River with lovely grounds for an outdoor ceremony. It is right in the heart of Essex, but set way back so it feels very... Read More private. The function room is beautiful with a big dance floor, a spacious bridal suite and a very cool bar and lounge. The food was exceptional and the guests were raving about it. As part of the wedding package, they also provide a wedding planner/coordinator to really help you work through all of the details, manage the menu, coordinate with the other vendors and work through the schedule which was so incredibly helpful. I would have been lost without them as they really worked hard to make sure my event was exactly how I envisioned and they succeeded - Everything was perfect. The Essex Room really offers a great value for the price and their entire staff is fantastic. I highly recommend The Essex Room to any couple looking for a wedding venue on the North Shore.

2017-10-16T11:22:22 Response from the vendor

Thank you Sara for such a wonderful review. We are all proud to have given you such a memorable day.

Reviewed on 5/02/2017 Samantha B

Growing up, my family went to Woodman's every year., so when I got engaged, it was the first place we looked. From the minute, we walked into the ballroom, Donna, Chef Ned and the staff made us feel like family. They went above and beyond on all accounts and handled every... Read More detail with care and precision. I was not worried about anything the day of the wedding because I knew I was in good hands. I could not recommend The Essex Room more highly. Between the kind, incredible staff and Chef Ned's delicious food, the Essex Room is the best place to get married!

Reviewed on 12/07/2016 Ashley M

We visited quite a few venues after being engaged, which made us think a decision could be difficult. But a few visits in we met with Maureen at the Essex Room and the decision was made that day. We were greeted so pleasantly, given a tour and then served amazing appetizers on... Read More the spot. We then sat down and asked a million questions which were answered without hesitation. We knew right away that the Essex Room was the place for us. Not only is the location on the gorgeous Essex River a huge seller, but the price was so much more affordable than the other waterfront spots we checked out. And still we were granted the same level of service. Several meetings up front where we showed our family the venue and asked more questions. It's such an exciting time and the ER staff made us feel even more overjoyed. The intimate food tasting was unreal, a full 3 course serving with just the two of us. SO much different than other venues where you're forced to sit down with total strangers. I don't want to say I was a difficult bride, but I'm all about the little details AND I'm the most indecisive person on earth. But with all of my decor ideas and changes the Essex Room didn't miss a beat. They set up hundreds of candles and signage for me exactly how I had asked. I was able to enjoy getting ready the morning of without worrying about a thing. The weather didn't cooperate and we had to move the cocktail hour inside, but the guests didn't even know about the last minute change. So seamless. And the day of was absolutely perfect. Great service from Donna, Norman, Lauren and all of the servers there. The bar got a bit over-crowded which was our only minor issue with such a large crowd, but wasn't a bit deal. Would maybe just suggest utilizing their second bar to other large parties. And they dealt with out shenanigans on the dance floor from the moment our first dances took place. It was the BEST day of our lives and we still hear from family and friends that it was such a blast. Also, I have gluten allergy/Celiac Disease and Chef Ned customized everything for me so I could finally enjoy indulging on the big day! It was unreal!

Reviewed on 11/18/2016 Hayley R

We got married at the Essex Room on October 1 2016. I could not imagine having chosen anywhere else to get married. Our day didn't go exactly as planned - part of what loved initially about the venue was the scenic marsh. Of course the day of it rained side ways and we had to... Read More move our ceremony, cocktail hour and almost all pictures inside(we were able to get a couple of us outside during a lull of rain). Moving inside at first bummed me out, but at the end of the day it didn't matter. The reason why we chose the Essex Room was because of the immediate connection we had with the catering and wedding coordinators, Maureen and Donna. They made us feel special and like they would make our day go smoothly no matter what, which they did. Having the right people around you on the most stressful day of your life is imperative. Chef Ned made us a unique and special menu. They didn't question any of the things that we wanted or didn't want, they listened to us and let us make the day our own. They were supportive and helpful throughout the entire process. The night of was incredible, the venue was beautiful, comfortable and warm. Would recommend this place to anyone looking for a venue on the North Shore.

2016-11-19T09:22:02 Response from the vendor

Thank you for the review Hayley. It was an honor to be a part of this special day. The photos you were generous to share with us show what a beautiful day it was despite the weather. Best wishes to you and Adam on along... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 11/07/2016 Colleen P

My husband and I knew the Essex Room was the venue we would be married in from the moment we walked through the door. Having a team of people focused on your wedding is amazing feeling and working with Faye, Lauren, Donna, Maureen, Norman, and even Chef Ned was a dream. Lauren... Read More and Donna really knocked our wedding out of the park with their attention to detail. They took time with all of our decorations and especially with setting up the foyer in such a creative way, it really showed how much they cared to make our wedding day special. I really can't say enough good things about the Essex Room because their food is amazing, the setting allows for beautiful pictures, and all of the staff is accommodating, even to our last minute requests! Thank you so much for hosting and helping to create the perfect day!

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Amy G

We are so glad we got married at The Essex Room! Lauren, Faye, Donna, and Maureen were all so nice and helpful, and the entire staff seamlessly moved our ceremony and cocktail hour indoors after the weather forecast did a 180 the morning of the wedding. We were disappointed we... Read More couldn't be outside and do more photos on the marsh, but the indoor ceremony was beautiful and the cocktail hour was amazing..We'll be hearing about Chef Ned's cheese table from family & friends for years!

Reviewed on 8/08/2016 Michelle E

I can't say enough good things about the people who work at the Essex Room. Donna, Norman, Lauren, Chef Ned, and others just made sure the day went perfectly. Weather was a major concern for me, and Donna went out of her way to help me feel comfortable if we had to do either... Read More option. She went out of her way to help me with various small details to plan for both, and was so great about being organized. The day went smoothly thanks to the team wrangling my friends and family, and EVERYONE is raving about the food - Chef Ned really out did himself! Everyone who worked there wants the day to feel personal to you, and was flexible about making that happen. The venue itself is BEAUTIFUL, and we got some great pictures. Overall, I am SO happy I went with the Essex Room, and am looking forward to booking another event there in the future!

Reviewed on 10/01/2015 Lia V

The absolute A Team! We knew after our very first meeting with Woodman's that they were the catering company who would execute our wedding in exactly the way we wanted. Not only were they professional and detail oriented, they were so fun to work with and truly serve the most... Read More delicious food. Chef Ned is a master of his craft - as if the entrees weren't enough, my husband and I are convinced his cookies are the best we've ever tasted. Looking back at our big day, I can say that having Woodman's cater our off-site wedding was hands down the most critical decision we made in the planning process. Maureen, Donna, & Norman played a vital role in the overall planning and execution of our entire day and we couldn't have done it as well without them. Major kudos!

Amazing Venue

Reviewed on 9/09/2015 Shelby N

We had the most amazing experience at the Essex Room. They were able to make the whole wedding gluten free since I have celiac disease. The whole staff was so helpful and caring. They answered emails very quickly, had very helpful advice, and were very easy to work with. I will... Read More miss our meetings and spending time with the team!

Reviewed on 7/14/2015 Erica M

My husband and I just hosted a wedding reception in Charlestown (Pier 4, Navy Yard) and used Woodman's as caterer, event planner, on-site guest managers, etc. - you name it, they took care of EVERYTHING! I don't even have the right words to express how amazing they are - the... Read More food was fabulous, the service was phenomenal - they made our perfect day that much more memorable! I would recommend Woodman's to anyone and everyone who wants to host an awesome party. Donna, Kristi, Maureen and their team are absolutely WONDERFUL!!!! I would give 10 stars if I could! ♥ ♥

Best Wedding Venue in the North Shore!

Reviewed on 10/19/2014 Jen S

I had the most beautiful wedding reception at the Essex Room. When we were looking for a venue we really wanted a large dance floor, enough room to hold our extended families, and excellent food! Faye and Maureen were amazing to work with, it really felt like I had my own... Read More personal wedding planner. They made it day even that much special by ensuring our guest were treated well and enjoying our big day! I highly recommend the Essex Room and their wedding staff experts!

The Essex Room @ Woodman's

Reviewed on 10/07/2014 Danielle G

My husband and I recently had our wedding and reception at the The Essex Room at Woodman;s on 9/5/14. It is a beautiful location to have your wedding. The outside garden, with the sun setting in the background over looking the marsh is gorgeous and romantic for any bride and... Read More groom to express their new love and future marriage. The outside atmosphere is truly breathtaking. From the ceremony to the reception the Essex Room and the Staff did a great job making our day truly special. The food is outstanding, and all 170 of our guests commented on how great the food was. We would like to extend our thanks to Faye, Norm, Ned, and Maureen for making our day truly special from start to finish!

Above and beyond all our expectations!

Reviewed on 11/06/2013 Erica G

From the second we walked into The Essex Room and met Faye, we knew this was the perfect venue for our wedding. She made us feel so at ease, tending to every detail and asking questions that we never would have thought of. The huge dance floor was one of the many things that we... Read More first fell in love with, knowing that we would have a huge dancing crowd, and we were right, we danced the entire night! We knew from the start that we didn't want a sit down dinner, and several places we looked could not accommodate our 200 guests with a station menu, but it was no problem for The Essex Room. The food stations were decorated beautifully, and every bit of food was beyond our wildest dream, from the presentation to the portion size and finally the taste, it was just perfect. They were very flexible with our on-site ceremony, and had a ‘bad weather’ plan in place, just in case, but the day of our wedding was the most beautiful, sunny, warm fall day, so thankfully, the alternate plan was not necessary. We were a bit hesitant about having our ceremony on the front lawn, being so close to Woodman’s parking lot, but I must say, my husband and I were pleasantly surprised at how private and secluded we felt during our wedding. It’s been almost 2 months since our wedding, and we’re still getting calls from guests saying what a wonderful time they had. We couldn't have had a more perfect wedding, many thanks to the entire staff and especially Faye at The Essex Room!

Exceeded ALL of our expectations!!

Reviewed on 10/05/2013 Ariel S

We cannot thank Faye, Norman & the rest of the team enough for making our wedding the absolute BEST day we have ever had!! Everything was perfect from ceremony to reception & the entire staff made sure that nothing was overlooked & everyone was having a great time. The grounds... Read More were immaculate for our outdoor ceremony & all of the pictures came out beautiful. We even got to climb onto the roof for an unforgettable photo session! We also rented The Lobster Trap for the after party which was a great way to keep the fun going without having to travel. Our guests are still raving about how wonderful it was - and we couldn't agree more! We highly recommend this venue for your wedding! The Kipp's

Gorgeous unique venue

Reviewed on 9/28/2013 Nicole M

After emailing a ton of vendors in the North Shore area and not getting any warm and fuzzy feelings - I was officially stuck. Until I was talking to a coworker who had been to a wedding at The Essex Room. I emailed them and was responded to by Faye, almost immediately. I don't... Read More think I can do justice by trying to explain how fabulous Faye was. She was there for every crazy concern that I had. She has a great personality and luckily a good sense of humor! Every email was answered promptly and politely. Faye was completely flexible with meeting with us- at night! Faye was amazing- did I say that yet? She made the entire planning process so easy. She helped me with all of my decisions, making suggestions along the way. She was incredibly organized, and made us feel like we were the only wedding she had! We opted not to have our ceremony at The Essex Room. We had our heart set on another location. I almost reconsidered, as having everything in one location is easier, but I couldn't get over the fact that the ceremony section wasn't completely fenced in and you could see the parking lot of Woodman's through the open sections. However, our pictures at the marsh and in that ceremony section (at night) were some of the best we have, absolutely gorgeous! If you can get over the fact that you can see the parking lot the day of, I am sure you will not see it in pictures. I definitely recommend The Essex Room. The room was gorgeous and their attention to detail, helpfulness, atmosphere, and friendliness, made our reception amazing. I have been hearing nothing but good things from my guests. Nothing went wrong, they catered to every guests needs, and helped us throughout the entire night. I am extremely happy with the way everything turned out and I could not thank Faye (and Norman!) enough.

The One!

Reviewed on 6/13/2013 Lauren M

We just wanted to take some time to write about everything that Faye and Maureen, and the entire staff at the Essex Room did for Scott and I, and our families and friends, to help make our wedding day special. I don't even know where to begin, and I apologize in advance if I... Read More start to ramble, but I just have to let you know how much fun we had!!!! Starting with the actual site visit in the fall, these ladies made us feel like their number one clients. We were the only ones there for the appointment, and they didn't make us feel rushed or unwelcome. They took the time to answer all of our questions, gave us a thorough tour, and provided us with lots of refreshments and goodies to take home. The minute we got to our car we thought - this is the place! We had seen a few before the Essex Room, and also visited a few after, but we just knew. It was like trying on my wedding gown - it was the one!! From that day forward, we felt like part of the Woodman's family. There was not a call left unreturned, nor an email left unanswered. I felt like I could reach out at any time, and I was immediately acknowledged and responded to. The expertise and experience that the Essex Room staff has is top notch, and I was at ease throughout the entire planning experience. After all, this WAS my first wedding (haha), but the Essex Room made it simple and stress free. They always listened to all of our ideas, made suggestions when necessary, and helped us to come up with a setup and menu that was going to really impress all of our guests! The menu tasting was also amazing! Even though I had basically already selected my options, I was so honored to be invited and included. I also loved being able to see the venue again, it was so exciting! It really started to come together for me at the tasting, since my date was quickly approaching. As for the rehearsal, I must have changed my mind about the time over and over, and they remained patient and flexible, per usual. It was really efficient, and we felt like we knew exactly what we were going to be doing the next day. Then of course, on my wedding day - I am speechless!!! These ladies were everywhere and nowhere (meaning, never in the way or intrusive). I did not want for anything! Our families, along with us, were fed and watered and taken care of during prep, pictures, etc., and during the reception, Scott & I didn't even have time to open our mouths to ask for a thing! We were so pampered and catered to and taken care of. All of our hard work to stay organized and prepared in our planning stages was executed FLAWLESSLY by the Essex Room staff and I cannot say THANK YOU enough. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves at our wedding!!! The after party was a huge hit too! I appreciate having had the opportunity to give the Trap a whirl post-reception, and I think it went really, really well! The food was awesome, and the bar staff was so accommodating. In a nutshell, we would recommend having a wedding at this venue hands down, and we wish we could get married there every weekend! Our friends and families are still talking about how great it was, and I know we all still will be for many, many happy and healthy years to come. We loved Faye, Maureen, and the entire staff at the Essex Room, and really appreciate everything they have done!!! Lauren & Scott Lasker

AMAZING!

Reviewed on 1/18/2013 Christen F

Beautiful location. Staff is amazing. Guests from my wedding are still raving about the food and how beautiful it was there. My wedding coordinator was amazing. Faye Broderick. I could call her to vent and she would just listen! My day was perfect, wouldnt have changed a... Read More thing!!! We were on a tight budget and they worked with us ever step of the way!

Magical Location

Reviewed on 7/09/2012 Kathryn D

My wedding was simply fantastic and was everything my husband and I could have ever hoped for. We owe it all to our venue, Essex Room at Woodman's. They were so easy to deal with, and they listed to exactly what our vision for our day was. More importantly, they delivered. I... Read More never thought in my wildest dreams that I would ever have an amazing, flawless day that went off without a hitch, and the Essex Room made sure that I had no less than perfect. We had an amazing time...the best time. We will always remember it as one of the best days of our lives. We send out a large thank you to the Essex Room and their staff for giving us such a wonderful and peaceful day.

Better Than We Dreamed!

Reviewed on 5/23/2012 Lisa P

My husband and I got married and held our reception at THe Essex Room at Woodman's of Essex. We couldn't have asked for a better day! THe staff was incredible, from start to finish. So professional, welcoming, accomodating...it just felt the entire time that they all cared... Read More that the entire day was perfect for us, and they definitely went above and beyond to make it so. Personal touches made the difference - and we were surprised with a "signature drink" for our day. OUr hostess made sure we kept to our timetable, but we never felt rushed at all. THe cocktail hour was phenominal - people are still talking about the vegetable crudite display with the wheat grass and different types of veggies - it really was amazing. The food was INCREDIBLE! THe filet mignon and baked stuffed haddock were the choices we went with - and we made the right choice! Still raving about it. THe other vendors that were recommended were great as well - everyone worked together so well and made our day the best we could have imagined. I admit I am a bit of a control freak, but as the day passed I realized I didn't stress about any details. ANything I asked for was done - and came out better than I imagined. I think that I completely avoided being a "bridezilla" and that was definitely because of the great help and support I received from the staff at The Essex Room. The reception was held outside, with a fantastic marsh view and beautiful landscape. It was a last minute change that happened smoothly. I worried because we had rehearsed indoors, but the staff made sure everyone knew where to go and what to do. At the reception, tHe place settings and centerpieces were classic and elegant, and everything came together beautifully. The staff definitely knows what they are doing - and can put together a room that is comfortable and welcoming, and stunning to the eye! The Essex Room really made our dream come true - we had a beautiful, stress free day, and have THe Essex Room to thank for it!

Best Place EVER!

Reviewed on 11/09/2010 April S

I had my reception here, and let me tell you, this place was AWESOME! Faye, the wedding coordinator, was SO helpful and so detail oriented and professional. Every step of the way was smooth, even last minute decisions. They provided so much value and so much wonderful food! I... Read More know chicken is cursed but once I tasted it I knew I had to have it on my menu! I have been with my other friends in planning their weddings and they had such struggles with their venues. When I chose this place I had a lot of knowledge from previous friends at other places, so I know this place was awesome. People still talk about my wedding and how great my reception was and it was 6 months ago! You cannot go wrong here. Their food is great, their staff is fantastic and the location is gorgeous! I also had my pictures done outside in the garden and in front of the marsh on the property and they came out GREAT! I only had one problem and that was my mirror part of my centerpieces were placed upside down on the tables. And all I can say is, if thats my only 'complaint' of my whole reception, than I feel pretty confident in saying this place rocks!

2010-11-09T22:30:13 Response from the vendor

We appreciate your review, April, and apologize for the mix-up with your mirrors. You were a joy to have - at our Fair last winter and at your wedding on May 22.

I absolutely loved my venue!

Reviewed on 11/05/2010 Donna P

I had my wedding at the Essex Room on 10/10/10 the Wedding coordinator Faye is great she helped me out so much & was more than accomidating . My wedding day went so smoothly. The venue is gorgeous I had my ceremony outside there prices are resonable, the food is great all... Read More in all its a great place to have a wedding. I would recomend :)

2010-11-09T22:27:16 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Donna, for your review. Your wedding, and you and Derek, was a pleasure to host.