Book Your Wedding with The Market at Grelen

A GARDEN IN SOMERSET, VA

Nestled inside of a 600-acre tree nursery in Somerset, Virginia, The Market at Grelen provides panoramic views of fruit orchards, the Blue Ridge Mountains and hillsides that set the scene for both staged and candid photos. With covered and uncovered spaces, this venue hosts weddings and receptions, both rain and shine.

Orchard Overlook Tent. This 4,500-square-foot tent has a clear top and clear retractable walls. In addition, the tent includes bistro lights and chandeliers, as well as a bluestone floor that extends past the tent. The tent comfortably seats up to 250 guests and you have the option of adding extra space for up to 300 guests for an additional cost.

Stone Terrace. This intimate terrace provides seating for up to 90 guests and offers views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It has wood, wrought iron and teak patio furniture. Consider clearing the furniture out for an additional fee.

Greenhouse and Potting Shed. Versatile and unique, the greenhouse and potting shed provide indoor and outdoor space for weddings and receptions. With space for up to 100 people, this area includes fire pits and patio seating.

Berry Field. Enjoy views of the berry patches and tree nursery with this space. Located next to the Orchard Overlook Tent, book it along with the tent or as a stand-alone venue. Couples typically use this space for ceremonies and first-look photos.

Half Moon Garden. The Half Moon Garden accommodates up to 150 guests for ceremonies, portraits and receptions. The focal point is the weeping cherry tree located in the center of the garden.

Shade Garden. From the pebbled walkways to the stone furniture, the Shade Garden provides a great spot for cocktail receptions. Couples also use it as a setting for photos.

Bloomfield. Located on a hilltop, Bloomfield provides panoramic views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It's also home to a rustic barn and a variety of trees and it has its own driveway entrance.

Events can run from 5:30 p.m. until 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays and 4:30 p.m. until 10 p.m. on Sundays. Set up for The Orchard Overlook Tent, Bloomfield or Berry Field is available starting at noon the day of the event. if you're holding your wedding or reception in one of the other areas, you can't set it up until 3 p.m.

The Market at Grelen doesn't provide catering but does have a preferred vendor list. You must select a caterer from that list. The venue must pre-approve your entertainment vendors before the ceremony or reception. In addition, noise levels can't exceed 80 dB.

The Market at Grelen has a farmhouse within two miles. The farmhouse has eight bedrooms, 7.5 bathrooms and sleeps up to 20 guests. It's only available to clients during peak months.

In addition, the venue provides:

• Restroom trailer included with rental fee
  • Parking attendants included with rental fee
  • Lighting included with rental fee
  • Exclusive use of the property after 4 p.m

The Market at Grelen

The Market at Grelen with it's unique garden setting, and expansive Blue Ridge Views, it's unlike any other venue in the Charlottesville, VA area. The Venue Rental includes several event spaces including an expansive Stone Terrace, Ceremony Lawn, a real Greenhouse, and a gorgeous clear Orchard Overlook Tent.

• Outdoor - Covered

Garden, Mountain, Park, Tented

Destination Weddings, Rentals + Equipment

15091 Yager Rd, Somerset, VA (805) 610-5387

Reviewed on 8/21/2017 Debbie M

My daughter & her fiance picked The Market at Grelen after looking at various venues around the Charlottesville area. They were very impressed by what they had to offer at a reasonable price. I visited in March and could see the potential once everything was in bloom for an... Read More August wedding. However, the beauty of this venue went beyond my expectations on the day of the wedding. Everything was picture-perfect and Amanda Landon, the Events Coordinator, was a tremendous help. We had about 175 guests and many commented how beautiful The Market at Grelen is and what a gorgeous place it is to have a wedding!! I so agree!!! The venue also offers different locations on the property for the ceremony & reception along with various opportunities for beautiful pictures! We even had a thunderstorm come through at the end of the reception while under the tent and everyone was having such a good time that they hardly knew it was raining. I can't say enough about how beautiful and wonderful my daughter and son-in-law's wedding was and I am so thankful they picked the Market at Grelen!!!

2017-12-04T13:33:07 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words, we are overjoyed that you & your family had such a wonderful wedding at Grelen. It was a joy to have you. Best wishes!

Reviewed on 5/23/2017 Vera L

We just got married at The Market at Grelen in May 14. It was one of the best decision that we made for our wedding. The place was so beautiful and all our guests fall in love with. Even some locals from Charlottesville were impressed by the place and they want to come back.... Read More Amanda, the wedding coordinator of the Market was incredible. She was very accommodating all of our needs and was on top of everything. She was so pleasant to work with. Every direction that you turn was the great photo spot. We did not want to leave for the reception because we were having too much fun taking pictures. I would recommend any couple who is looking for a charming and beautiful place where you can enjoy the nature and the landscaping of Virginia, this is the place to go for!

2017-05-23T19:10:55 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words, we are overjoyed that you & your family had such a wonderful wedding at Grelen. You two are such an amazing couple! Best wishes!

Reviewed on 11/06/2017 Alayna T

We had our wedding at Grelen almost a month ago and could not have been happier! Amanda was so wonderful in all of our pre-wedding planning, and on the big day the venue was gorgeous! So glad we chose such a wonderful spot!

2017-12-04T13:33:49 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words, we are overjoyed that you had such a wonderful wedding at Grelen. You two are such an special couple! Best wishes!

Reviewed on 10/25/2017 Heather S

We wanted a special venue that would represent us. A place where we could bring the family and friends together on our day, but still feel intimate and be able to appreciate the beauty of central Virginia. The Market at Grelen captured all that and more. The event planner,... Read More Amanda, is a pleasure to work with. She is very detailed and provides sound experience whether you are having a big affair or a intimate gathering. Additionally, in our case we needed someone to coordinate a majority of the event. We did not have to hire a coordinator and then all the other vendors. Having a preferred, experienced team who are seasoned on working together - made such a huge difference to us. I cannot say enough about Amanda, the team at the Market, and all the vendors we worked with. They made our little evening so special - we will never forget. You also have so many options for your ceremony and reception. Every spot there is gorgeous. We loved how you could combine the plants, flowers, and trees that were already a part of the decor. Our wedding was in the fall, but we never had to worry about a back up plan in the event of inclement weather - with the event tent and the greenhouse, you are covered. We highly recommend this venue if you want a spectacular wedding to remember. Amanda and the Market team will most assuredly make it happen! They certainly did for us!

2017-12-04T13:34:17 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words, we are overjoyed that you & your family had such a wonderful wedding at Grelen. Warmest wishes!

Reviewed on 10/07/2017 Julia D

We eloped at the Market at Grelen and could not have loved it more! The grounds are gorgeous and Amanda and her team were extremely kind and responsive. We had the most relaxed wedding day and can't recommend Grelen highly enough!

2017-12-04T13:34:48 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words. You two are such an amazing couple and it truly was our pleasure to help plan your special day! Best wishes to you!

Reviewed on 7/12/2017 Callie C

A visit to the Market at Grelen is a pleasure at any time and well worth the trip, but the venue provided an absolutely beautiful setting for our daughter's wedding and reception on June 24, 2017. The Market is so well landscaped and flowers are abundant, and the entire area... Read More was available to our guests to wander through the entire evening. Amanda Landon, the venue event coordinator, is very knowledgeable, helpful, and calming. She worked with and allowed us all the decorating ideas we had for the ceremony and the reception. The entire day and evening of the wedding she was right there in case adjustments needed to be made, items moved, etc. at the site, helping to keep things running smoothly. In addition, the entire staff at the Market are all helpful and friendly. We highly recommend the Market at Grelen for a beautiful venue and atmosphere for a wedding. We were thrilled - our daughter and new son-in law's wedding and reception was everything we wanted and more, and the Market at Grelen and those who work there helped to make that dream real!

2017-12-04T13:35:13 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words, we are overjoyed that you & your family had such a wonderful wedding at Grelen. Warmest Wishes to you!

Reviewed on 6/13/2017 Megan B

The Market at Grelen was an awesome 'all in one' venue. There were so many options for event spaces. We were able to keep our event moving around the property. The flowers at the Market added so much color and greenery to our decor and the views around the property were... Read More gorgeous. So many guest commented on how unique and beautiful our venue was!

2017-12-04T13:35:47 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words, we are overjoyed that you & your guests had such a wonderful wedding at Grelen. Best wishes!

Reviewed on 5/13/2017 Marisa V

As a wedding designer and planner, I appreciate the great lengths that the Market at Grelen goes through to make sure all of their bridal couples have an excellent experience. From the tiny details that one might never notice, like the french drain which encompasses their tent... Read More pad, to the more noticeable features such as access to their trees and plants from the nursery - the experience at the Market at Grelen is TOP NOTCH and one that I thoroughly enjoy planning with all my clients. If you're looking for a unique venue that is an authentic expression of the Virginia countryside - look no further than the Market at Grelen. They've built quite an impeccable event venue! Orpha Events loves to work there!

2017-05-22T16:27:41 Response from the vendor

Thank you Marisa with Orpha Events. Your the kind of planner we love to have onsite. Thank you for being so detailed and running such a smooth event every time you are onsite. So happy you enjoy planning events at Grelen!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Taylor C

The Market at Grelen is a fantastic venue! Our guests are still raving about the magical ceremony location and reception under the clear sky tent!! From our initial meeting with Sarah, she was super helpful and easy to work with, and drove us all over the venue. I knew the... Read More day of the wedding there would be no stress or logistical issues. The Market at Grelen is a one of a kind, beautiful and unique venue that made our wedding day absolutely perfect!!

Stunning venue and the perfect backdrop!

Reviewed on 10/03/2015

We are so happy with our experience at The Market at Grelen. Everyone who attended our wedding still talks about how beautiful the tent, the views and ceremony were. Reflecting on my wedding planning, I think the setting of your wedding is the most important factor and... Read More decision you make for ensuring you have a wedding that you love. It provides the backdrop and sets the tone for the type of wedding you want to have and remember forever. The Market perfectly matched my vision for a romantic, secret garden wedding that was outdoors but was still elegant and sophisticated feeling. And with the numerous locations for photos, my photographer was having more ideas for photos than we had time for! The greenhouse, gardens, berry fields, sheds, barns, grooves and numerous other locations we never even saw exceeded our expectations for photo opportunities! We had our ceremony between the 2 large trees right beside the tent which was perfect for having our DJ play music as we walked down the aisle and also to use a microphone for our officiant since it can sometimes be hard to hear outdoor ceremonies. The close proximity to the tent was also very helpful for our elderly guests who wouldn't do well walking long distances. The backdrop in our ceremony pictures is absolutely stunning! Rolling hills, fluffy clouds and greenery as far as you can see! We chose to have the clear top on the tent and it was spectacular when the sun went down. Everyone was taking pictures of the stars and sunset through the tent and it provided the most wonderful romantic feeling to see the colors streak across the sky as I danced with my new husband! The stone flooring was perfect for dancing, easy for our older guests to walk on, and gave it a very sophisticated feeling without it feeling formal. The Market provided the dinner tables, chairs for the ceremony (which were moved inside for dinner) and wine barrel/wood bars for the buffet and deserts all of which perfectly matched the feel of our wedding. The bathrooms were provided by the venue since we had fewer than 100 guests which was incredibly nice to have real bathrooms to use during the wedding! (sometimes it's the small things you appreciate most!) Sarah the venue coordinator was very helpful, although the communication was at times slower than I would have liked. However in her defense, we had a very long engagement so our wedding venue point of contact changed three times, which may have contributed to the (at times) last of communication between parties. She was incredibly helpful and efficient with helping to arrange the tent with tables, bars and umbrellas the best way possible to seat everyone, picked a beautiful arbor for our ceremony, placed plants around the tent to help add to the romantic feeling and was an excellent point person for our caterer and photographer to go to with questions during the reception. She made our wedding day easier and had a very relaxing demeanor which was much appreciated before I walked down the aisle! Lastly, we had a very large wedding party so we decided to rent Spotswood Lodge for everyone to stay at for the wedding weekend. What an absolutely amazing house!! It was wonderful to get to spend so much time with our closest friends before and after we got married. The house was beautifully decorated, comfy, the beds were soft and the grounds stunning! I couldn't have been happier with my entire experience at The Market!

Beauty built into the venue

Reviewed on 12/01/2014 Mary P

I can't say enough good things about this venue. We were one of the first weddings at the Market at Grelen and could not have been happier. I live in NYC but my sisters live close to the venue and helped me pick it out by sending me photos and talking about the pros/cons of... Read More Grelen vs other venues around Charlottesville. I chose The Market at Grelen because of my love for gardening and local produce. The first time I visited I knew I made the right decision. The taste level of the woman who buys products for the Market aligned 100% with mine. I knew that any aesthetic choice they made for me I would love, so I let them chose the plants for the ceremony, basic set-up, etc. Their tables and chairs are so beautiful that table cloths, etc aren't really needed. I ended up using some natural rattan charges so the white plates stood out from the white stone tables. Our guests were so pleasantly surprised by the natural beauty of the venue and loved the laid back nature of the ceremony and reception. While the venue provides a laid back vibe, there is so much attention to detail. I was so lucky to have beautiful natural/in-season plants at the ceremony, the topiaries by our ceremony, etc. I chose their gorgeous succulents for our table centerpieces to which they added amazing wooden/metal lanterns. There were a few logistics to overcome such as a costly rain plan (tent which thankfully I didn't need, but still had to put a deposit down on), lighting (lots and lots of votives), and help with setting the tables (mostly because I went with a BBQ vendor who didn't provide all of the staff that another catering company might have). Overall my husband, my family, friends, and I all thoroughly enjoyed the unique nature of The Market at Grelen and were so happy to have this as the setting for our wedding and reception.

Meet The Events Director

Amanda Landon

Born and raised in California, Amanda comes to The Market at Grelen with extensive experience in the wedding industry. Establishing herself as one of the preferred Wedding Planners of California's Wine Country, Amanda Landon is both skilled in organization, styling, and venue management. Amanda Landon’s calming presence and careful attention to each detail can put even the most anxious bride at ease.