The Memory Journalists Photographers

817 16th Street, Sacramento, CA
Worldwide travel is welcome

You won't regret it!

Reviewed on 8/26/2014 Jillian S

The Memory Journalists ROCK! Isabel was the lead photographer for our wedding and along with Theresa. They did a phenomenal job! Isabel was super fun to work with. She has great energy and great ideas. She really is passionate about what she does and it shows. We were... Read More nervous about how we would feel in front of the camera but they made it really natural and fun. But, the proof is in the pudding right?! When we got our photographs we were blown away. They were exactly what we had hoped for. She captured it perfectly and we will cherish them forever. Yes, they are a little on the pricey side, but worth every penny in my book.

Jen exceeded beyond our already high expectations!

Reviewed on 10/06/2013 Racheal C

Jen & her team at the Memory Journalists are absolutely phenomenal! My husband & I decided early on that photography was very important to us, therefore, we spent months looking for a photographer that we loved & connected with. Seven months before the wedding, we met Jen at a... Read More bridal show in Sacramento & she really stood out from the rest. She is very friendly, sociable, talented, professional yet funny, & a perfectionist! In fact, I learned a lot about photography from just listening to her. From the very beginning, you feel that she “gets” you, and you later find out that she really does because she delivers exactly what you had in mind -- most times even better than what you had in mind. It’s not a coincidence because she invests a lot of time & effort in understanding your personalities, both you & your partner, your likes & dislikes, the types of shots you like & those that flatter you, and things that evoke the most natural reaction in you. Jen offers a premium value, high quality photography service. My husband & I agree that this was one the best investments we made for the wedding. Jen planned several wine nights with me & diligently took notes as I explained in detail the 5 days of Indian wedding events & their significance. For our engagement photo shoot, my husband wanted an evening, cityscape shoot in SF, whereas I wanted a daylight session at the Palace of Fine Arts and Golden Gate Bridge. Rather than compressing the duration of the photo shoot into one day, Jen offered to do a 2-day photo session with us in SF, staying in the city at her own expense, so that we could get the best angles and lighting, and that we didn’t feel rushed. Our wedding events spanned over 5 days & we booked Jen for 3 events. She went above & beyond our contract by attending & photographing other events, bringing an additional photographer (total of 4) to make sure that every detail that we had spent so much time planning for were captured, she never watched the clock and always stayed past her scheduled time, and she even purchased Indian outfits for the entire team so they blended in with the crowd in case they were captured in our photos. Over time, Jen becomes your friend. For instance, she knew I was trying to drop a few pounds before the wedding so she invited me to join her for weekly kickboxing classes. During the wedding events she kept me calm, fed me appetizers so that I wouldn’t get my hands dirty, made sure I was hydrated but that I also had a cocktail nearby, helped with my many outfit changes … just to name a few. Now, even though the wedding is long over, we still keep in touch & meet for lunch every now & then. We have not seen the finished product – the album – yet, but that’s no fault of Jen’s. She created a video album for us to review before ordering the final album. My husband & I have taken our sweet time in looking through the 4000+ photos & selecting our favorites, while Jen has patiently waited & renewed our online gallery several times. Jen & her team take beautiful photos so it's difficult to pick a handful of favorites! The most impressive thing about Jen’s photos is that they look natural & they capture the sentiment of each “action and reaction” – a term I learned from her. Thanks to Jen & her talented team, our wedding photos were published in South Asian Bride Magazine! Jen has been a wonderful friend & a pleasure to work with, and we look forward to having her photograph our future children & life events.

Jen exceeded beyond our already high expectations!

Reviewed on 10/06/2013 Racheal C

Wonderful to work with

Reviewed on 10/05/2013

Jennifer Dunham Starr, aka The Memory Journalists Photographers, was a pleasure to work with from start to finish. In addition to taking beautiful pictures, Jen worked with us from the start to help plan the flow of my daughter's wedding day. In our first meeting, she... Read More impressed us with her breadth of knowledge; when we were trying to figure out what the shade conditions might be in Capitol Park on the date of the wedding (in August), she told us what date in April would be the "mirror" date for sun position so we could scout things in advance. Jen coordinated with our wedding planner and the DJ so that everything went smoothly on my daughter's wedding day. The photos were beautiful; I'd say our only problem was that there were so many of them that we had a hard time choosing which ones to order! And my daughter's final album is practically a work of art. If my other daughter chooses to get married in Sacramento, we would definitely hire Jen again.

Wonderful to work with

Reviewed on 10/05/2013

Great Service and Pictures!

Reviewed on 10/02/2013 Kayla L

Great service and was very helpful thought getting pictures complete! Great pictures of all the details of the wedding!

Isabel is WONDERFUL!!!!

Reviewed on 10/01/2013 Joline C

A close friend of mine used Isabel Ollinger as her engagement/ wedding photographer for her wedding, I loved their shots, I wanted to hang them up in my house. So of course when I got engaged, I contacted Isabel. Isabel is very sweet and was able to make my husband feel... Read More comfortable in front of the camera as well. Our engagement photos came out perfect!! She nailed it, exactly what we were looking for. Our wedding photos were AMAZING and had been submitted to Real Weddings magazine and were selected to be published in their November issue next month. We love Isabel and refer her to anyone who is looking.

Isabel is WONDERFUL!!!!

Reviewed on 10/01/2013 Joline C

A close friend of mine used Isabel Ollinger as her engagement/ wedding photographer and I loved all their photos, she did such a stunning job! I wanted to hang their photos in my house. So of course I contacted Isabel for my wedding and engagement photography and was very happy... Read More with the cost as well. My husband hates getting his pictures taken but after we left our engagement session he told me he really liked her and she made him feel very comfortable in front of the camera. Our wedding photos came out so AMAZING, they were submitted to Real Weddings magazine and will be getting published in their November issue next month. I refer everyone to Isabel, we absolutely love her!

Great Photographs of Our Wedding

Reviewed on 10/01/2013 Kayla L

Great photographs of our wedding and all of the details. Very helpful in organizing all the photos that are important to the bride and groom. Highly recommended!

Red Dream Wedding 7/2013

Reviewed on 10/01/2013 Vickie B

Jen did an amazing job. Her enthusiam for capturing the shot is contagious. The shots are creative and the pictures turned out beautiful. Love her and am in awe of her talent.

Red Dream Wedding 7/2013

Reviewed on 10/01/2013 Vickie B

Great Experience

Reviewed on 7/19/2012 Michelle R

Jennifer and her team really made our day perfect. They really worked with a not so photogenic groom and made it fun. The pictures are amazing

MarwinsWedding

Reviewed on 11/04/2011 michael h

Jennifer and her fellow photographers did a wonderful job at my daughters wedding. They seemed to be everywhere yet never in the way, always polite and cheerful and very proffesional It rained that day and Jennifer managed to get both families out doors at an opportune time... Read More between showers and took splendid photos of us all. I very much like the album she put together for Marianna and Darwin and the photos in general were excellent! One more word, I also loved the engagement photos and have many aroungdthe house. Great job photo journalists!!

Love this team!

Reviewed on 11/04/2011 catriona e

You could not ask for better service or photography style, from a professional. Jennifer and her team are amazing and do incredible work. I am honored to know them and have them take phtotos for me and my clients. Everyone I know who has worked with them has been happy!... Read More Expect quick responses, detailed involvement, ideas and suggestions to help make your day perfect and a unique and custom wedding album that captures your day perfectly.

The Absolute Best

Reviewed on 11/04/2011 Marianna H

We have had an awesome experience with Memory Journalists. From day one they have been professional, responsive, and totally on top of things. They consistently impressed us with how quickly they got back to us on everything, and how generous they were with their time and... Read More attention. We truly felt that we were in the best hands throughout our experience. Plus, Jen and her crew are extremely talented, both at producing beautiful images and getting their subjects to feel comfortable. Even my husband, who doesn't typically enjoy being the center of attention, felt at ease! During the wedding, they did a great job of organizing everyone and being in the right place at the right time - Jen handled all of our family photos like a pro! After the wedding I received multiple comments from my family on how professional our photographers were, and they have all been blown away by the photos they've seen. My dad especially - half the time I talk to him he's tells me that he's got a new favorite picture :) As for my husband and I, we know that we couldn't have chosen a better photographer. We will treasure the emotions and the memories they captured for the rest of our lives. We can't thank them enough!

AMAZING!!

Reviewed on 11/03/2011 Trista B

Jen and her team are absolutely amazing. They are so helpful throughout the process and the photos are incredible!

Memory Journalists were amazing!

Reviewed on 11/03/2011 Michael P

We used Jenn and her crew for our engagement and wedding photos. Both turned out absolutely fantastic! Not only was the final product great, but they made sure that we had fun during the process. Playing the role of the shy groom, I didn't know what to expect having to take... Read More so many photos, but at the engagement session Jenn made us feel so comfortable that I couldn't wait to take pictures at the wedding, and the results spoke for themselves. Thank you Jenn and Memory Journalists for great pictures and a great day.

FANTASTIC. I would use them again in a heartbeat.

Reviewed on 11/03/2011 Nicole H

I used Jen and the crew for our engagement shoot and our wedding. We were married at Le Rivage in Sacramento in May. We both live in Chicago (born on raised in Northern CA) so it was especially nerve racking picking such an imporant wedding vendor. The first time I contaced... Read More Memory Journalists I knew they were the one. I spoke with Jen next and we talked for hours and I got even more excited about the big day. My husband and I could not have been happier with working with them during the event and the photos are all we dreamed of and more. I recommend them if you want your photos to be natural and just a great version of you. They truly captured our emotions and the amazing day we had celebrating with close friends and family. I look through our wedding album online all the time and find more and more photos that I have to have :) They are the most professional and are an absolute pleasure to know as people Please look into the Memory Journalists- they are worth every penny.

Fun and Efficient

Reviewed on 7/05/2011 Donna W

I used the Memory Journalists for my engagement and wedding pictures and I could not be happier with them. They not only make the process really fun, but are very good with managing their time, which is important especially on the wedding day.

The Memory Journalists are simply AMAZING!

Reviewed on 12/04/2010 Christine R

My husband and I met Jen and her crew at a bridal show in 2009, and had an instant connection. When we went home that night to view their website, we were quite impressed. Each picture we saw online captured such great emotion and personality, and we just knew we HAD to book... Read More them! We quickly booked our engagement photo session (included with our package - BONUS!). We had a very specific idea for our photo session (a "makeover" and reveal for the both of us), and were so happy that Jen shared our enthusiasm for it. When our plans fell through, Jen was very accomodating, and rescheduled without skipping a beat. Our engagement session was so exciting! Jen captured some of the "makeover", which was interesting to see looking back. And when it came time for the reveal, she was just as excited as we were, making sure to capture each reaction, and coming up with different ways and places to shoot more pictures. Jen's enthusiasm carried on throughout our planning. We had ideas for a very non-traditional wedding, and needed help thinking things through. Jen provided great ideas and planning guides, and even reviewed our personally written wedding vows so we could keep them a surprise. She was a tremendous help in making our vision a reality. Before our wedding, Jen told us that her husband, Cory, was experimenting with a type of video media in addition to photography. Since we didn't have plans to book a videographer, we were so happy that we had a way to capture our most important parts of our wedding. When it came time for our rehearsal, Jen and Cory were the first to arrive!! We were so happy they were able to meet our family and friends, and give us tips and guidance before our big day. On our wedding day (Sept 2010), it was obvious to see how well Jen and Cory work together. They were energetic and full of ideas for photo/video ops. They gave us direction without being overbearing, and interacted with our family, friends, and other vendors with love, excitement, and passion. We recently saw our photos and video clip, and were absolutely amazed! Every picture is outstanding, and the video captured everything we wanted to. It is clear that Jen and Cory are very talented at what they do. The Memory Journalists were fully invested in our wedding, and we're positive we made the right choice. We would refer them a million times over!

Absolutely Fabulous!!!

Reviewed on 12/03/2010 Laura M

We worked with The Memory Journalists for our August wedding and everything from the moment we began working together was amazing. They are so talented and fun to work with that it was never stressful. All of the photographs from our date night to the wedding day were stunning... Read More and the final album is so beautiful! I would highly recommend them to anyone. They are such a talented group of photographers and go above and beyond for their clients. My husband and I couldn't be happier with our decision!

We want to get married again!!!

Reviewed on 12/03/2010 Darleen S

We couldn't be any happier with how beautiful our wedding pictures turned out, makes us want to get married all over again. Jennifer, Teresa and Kirsten are awesome! Lots of love to them:)

Definitely a 5 Star Experience

Reviewed on 12/02/2010 Shawna G

The Memory Journalists did an outstanding job from our very first meeting when we were trying to select a photographer the whole way on through now, which is 6 months after our wedding. They never ceased to make sure every little detail was perfect, right down to remembering to... Read More save me a paper crane from our decorations so that I would have a little souvenir from our reception & all the hard work of planning. They offered us many excellent options, including a fusion photography video from our ceremony and which reception... Which one of my bridesmaids loved so much that she would chose fusion photography over a tradition wedding video for her own wedding based on seeing our finished product! In terms of organization, they never missed a single important detail, and Jennifer even had a tentative timeline figured out before I did! Even when we had some rough waters with a difficult family member, Jennifer & her team went above and beyond to make certain that everyone was satisfied and the situation was successfully resolved for all parties. I would absolutely give them my highest recommendation! Their work is impeccable, both in terms of the final product and professionalism.

Wonderful experience and great photos!

Reviewed on 12/01/2010 Hiroko A

The Memory Journalists captured every treasure moment we had at our wedding. They were fun and easy to work with and very organized and well prepared. The photos are so good that I love to look at them over and over again.

Awesome!!

Reviewed on 11/30/2010 Sharon W

So I met Jennifer at a bridal expo and we just talked for about 30 min. I had some questions for her but she didn't try to sell me anything she just answered my questions and then we chatted like we were just friends catching up on news. It was great! I really liked how we... Read More weren't treated like a client. There wasn't any pressure from the photographer and everyone was friendly and professional. The memory journalists include a date night session in all of their packages and maybe you think you don't want this but, it really gets you used to having a camera around and soon you don't even seem to notice that they are there taking pictures. We highly recommend The Memory Journalists and we are telling all of our friends and family about their great work.