The Mill on The River

(23)

South Windsor, CT

Capacity: Up to 150 | WEBSITE | PHONE

The ONLY thing we overlook, is the river.

With a beautiful waterfront on-site ceremony location and beautiful banquet rooms, The Mill on the River is the ideal location for your once-in-a-lifetime event. Our full time wedding planners will handle the menu, linens, set-up, and all of the special details that make your wedding truly memorable.

• Indoor Ceremony Area

Banquet/Reception Hall, Mansion/Historic Site, Restaurant

989 Ellington Road, South Windsor, CT

Beautiful Wedding Venue with Great Food

Reviewed on 5/14/2014 Charlene A

The Mill on the River was a perfect location for our May wedding. Laura, the banquet manager, was great to work with and always helpful. She was so prompt in responding to e-mails and phone calls and flexible to accommodate any requests we asked for, including making sure that my dietary restrictions were met. The grounds were immaculate and made for great ceremony and formal pictures. The upstairs Rafter's Room was also perfect with a rustic feel. The Mill on The River offered great packages that encompassed everything we needed for the reception and made planning much less stressful. I recommend attending their yearly bridal show as we were also offered upgrades and incentives for booking with them and attending the bridal show!

The Mill on the River was AWESOME!! My wedding was perfect!!

Reviewed on 10/21/2013 Dawn N

We were married on 10/12/13 and everything was perfect. This was a destination wedding for us, so we planned everything over the phone with Laura. Laura was extremely easy and wonderful to work with. She didn't miss a thing. The food was amazing, the staff was exceptional and the venue was gorgeous. All my guests were very pleased. I'm still getting calls from my guests telling me how wonderful and beautiful everything was. I would highly recommend The Mill on the River!! I can't wait to go back to eat dinner there for our anniversary.

Perfect place for a wedding!

Reviewed on 12/01/2012 Susan M

Mill on the River Restaurant was a great place to have our wedding reception. The food, service, atmosphere was extraordinary! Laura was great in working with us to put together a special wedding reception.

Rehearsal Dinner

Reviewed on 9/17/2014 Melissa Olympia L

Great venue for the rehearsal dinner. The food was great and we had our own private area!

Great venu for our wedding!

Reviewed on 11/14/2013 Jessica V

We are so happy that we chose to have our ceremony and wedding at the Mill. We were planning from rather far away-Las Vegas- which was difficult, however, Laura made it really easy and care free. The Mill offered us a great discount because October is an "off season" month which helped us make our decision and to be quite honest we were expecting to see the discount in the service. We were amazed and impressed with the quality of the food, service and venue. The food was delicious, including the cake which was beautiful and delicious; the service was on point all night and as I stated earlier, Laura was a great help and wonderful "wedding planner." The Mill is a beautiful setting to have a fall wedding, I can't think of one complaint! We still talk about how great of a job the Mill did and we're so excited to be able to go back to celebrate anniversaries there together in the future!

Fall Foliage

Reviewed on 11/11/2013 Rebekah T

Our wedding and ceremony were absolutely beautiful we were married on september 21, 2013. We had a modest wedding of 80 in the River Room down below. It was beautiful, the presentation was wonderful and we had a very good time. However, leading up to the wedding especially the day before I felt that the management staff was a bit dismissive of my concerns and needs especially because the weather seemed a little shaky and we were having an outdoor ceremony. However the day went off great with no rain. During the reception one server was rude to some of our guests which caused a bit of unhappiness, but the server my husband and I had Beth was absolutely amazing and attentive. For the price it was a great value and I do not regret having our wedding there at all. We had an amazing day and wouldn't change it.

Good overall

Reviewed on 7/10/2013 Jessica R

Just had my wedding at Mill on the River. Food was great, location is beautiful, and cost was comparable to other locations in the area. The banquet manager we worked with was not quite as organized as I would have liked, but otherwise it was a good experience.

Fairy tale ending

Reviewed on 6/18/2013 Niki K

They did a fabulous job with my wedding and reception :) mostly I'm speaking for the bartender Liz, and the actual look of the venue. Laura, one of the managers whom I felt with a lot, was a bit flakey and rude. Never contacted me, I always had to reach out to her. At times it was stressful because I was late on things that needed to be done, but I had no idea!

Beautiful scenery but not good service

Reviewed on 11/13/2012 Jessica R

This is a very difficult review to give. Overall I felt that our day went pretty well, however there were some misgivings at the wedding and leading up to the wedding. First off, the venue itself is absolutely incomparable. The gazebo area overlooks the tree lined river, and the time of year we had the wedding (late October) the colors of the trees were so bright and beautiful. Ceremony and picture wise, we could not have picked a more beautiful venue. However, the banquet manager Laura, is really not pleasant to work with. She is nice, until you sign on the dotted line. Once you sign the contract, you become nothing more than a last name and a date, so be prepared for that every time you call her. Also, when we first met with her, she guaranteed that we could have round tables in the room that we had chosen for our reception. However when we went back two weeks before the wedding they had long square tables in the room. When asked again, she said they could do the round tables, just indicate that on your table seating chart. We sent a table seating chart that indicated round tables, not ONCE but TWICE, and my sister-in-law (who just happened to be our florist) went to set up things in the morning and the round tables were nowhere to be found. They had to rearrange the whole room 1 hour prior to our reception, as things were not done how we had asked. Then, they booked another wedding at the same time as ours, so we were followed around while taking pictures by another bridal party and their photographer. This was very annoying. Then there was a party going on in their restaurant area, which had loud music playing which was competing with ours downstairs. Then we requested and paid for a Vienese dessert table, which we paid for and were promised, but did not get. Laura's solution to this issue was going to be boxing up desserts for 55 people to bring home with them. This was unacceptable to my new husband and myself! Most of our guests were staying in the hotel that night and there was nowhere for us to bring these desserts. Laura insisted that she was going to speak to the owner and see if we could get a refund, but almost 3 weeks later and we still have not heard from her. Also, the biggest stress we had for planning our wedding was the state of CT required vendor insurance that the Mill requires for any vendor working at your function (ie. DJ, photographer). Our DJ is a friend and our photographer is just starting out and neither of them carry insurance. When asked what the requirements for said insurance policies would be, Laura had no answers, nor did she jump on getting them for us. And then when it came down to it, we purchased the insurance to cover the event, but were never asked for it. So that was a waste of money on our part, however we felt happy knowing that if something should happen that we would be covered. But how can they say that they REQUIRE it, when in fact they never wanted it......Again, it's really hard for me to give them a bad review because I liked the place so much but dealing with the nasty banquet coordinator is definitely not fun. AND my name is JESS, not Rossi/Benoit Oct 27!!! I suggest if you book this place you look into how many parties are going on at the same time too, and DO NOT put a basket of goodies in the bathroom, as restaurant patrons and the other wedding party's guests will just use or take all of the stuff and leave your guests with nothing....

Just okay..

Reviewed on 10/15/2012 Kristin C

The first time I went to Mill on the River was for my highschool graduation and I thought then that I would love to be married there. The tastefully lighted trees along with the well kept landscape and the running mill make it a very pretty place. However I was dissapointed with the banquet rooms for a wedding. They were very dark, with low ceilings, and it was extremely hot and humid.

Mill on The River

Reviewed on 9/30/2012 Michelle B

What an amazing venue! The setting is beautiful, and the food was delicious! Laura, the wedding coordinator, was very easy to work with and accommodating to our needs to plan from out of state. The package we chose was a great value, which helped keep costs down. Overall, it was a perfect day and I know we chose the right venue!

Delicious!

Reviewed on 9/05/2012 Melissa P

Love this place! Have been here several times and when it came to picking a place for our rehearsal dinner, there was no contest. Everyone loved the food and the place was nicely decorated. I will definitely keep this place in mind next time I have a party.

Beautiful Wedding

Reviewed on 7/24/2012 Sarah K

This was a pefect place to have our rustic themed wedding. The exposed beams and non ballroom look was just what we were looking for. The staff were very helpful and great to work with.

Wedding

Reviewed on 7/22/2012 Bethany M

I had my wedding at Mill on the River and everything was great. The food was amazing and staff was good. Really nice places to have formals taken!

Beautiful Place!!

Reviewed on 6/26/2012 Rossana Q

The Mill on the River is a great place to get married. My Ceremony and Reception were held at the venue. The food was GREAT and the staff was very helpful.

Amazing site service and food!!

Reviewed on 6/20/2012 Jamie K

Amanda and Laura at The Mill on the River were amazing! The grounds are gorgeous, we had our ceremony at the gazebo. They were super helpful and accommodating every step of the way! They went out of their way to make sure everything went smoothly, even helped me fix the bustle on my dress! The food was absolutely delicious and everyone had a great time. I will recommend them to anyone!

Reception

Reviewed on 10/27/2011 Heather M

Very pleased with my whole experience at Mill on the River. Food was excellent. Very accommodating. I would highly recommend Mill on the River to anyone looking for a reception site.

bride

Reviewed on 10/12/2011 kelly r

great place and food

Fantastic Food!!

Reviewed on 9/01/2011 Susan V

The team at the Mill really brought my wedding together. The value was beyond anything I could find in CT. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants 5 star food and an all inclusive package. They definitely made my life easier during my wedding planning.

July Wedding

Reviewed on 8/29/2011 sabrina c

Overall we're very satisfied with MOTR for our venue. The river room (downstairs) is gorgeous, and perfect for smaller weddings (up to 80 ppl). We had 65 guests and fit perfectly, so 80 might be a little tight. The staff was very friendly and the pricing was very reasonable. The wedding cake is even included!

Made my day amazing

Reviewed on 8/18/2011 nora b

Everyone at The Mill worked with us to make our day absolutely amazing. Our guests could not stop talking about how great the food and the ambiance was.

Amazing food, subpar service

Reviewed on 12/02/2010 Carrie E

We used them for both our ceremony and reception. First of all, the food at The Mill is AMAZING. There is no denying that, and all of our guests agreed! My dad is an incredibly picky/critical eater, and he didn't have one bad thing to say about his steak. However, we had a number of problems with the service there. We had an evening wedding, and the wedding before ours apparently went over their time, so they were still setting up for our outdoor ceremony as guests were arriving...people were seating themselves before the programs were ever brought out, and the pew bows (which we know arrived over 2 hours in advance) had not been put on the chairs. Also, nobody was there to greet my husband (which we had been told there would be)...he had to hunt someone down in the office. I was also told the reception room would be done and ready for me to see when I arrived, and they were still cleaning up from the prior wedding, and in the process of setting up for ours. There was also an issue with the temperature (one side of the room was roasting, including my husband and I, while one table was freezing) which we felt they could have resolved better. Additionally, we had a number of complaints (including from my in-laws, who paid for our reception) that the servers were rude and taking their food away before they were finished. When my in-laws called to complain to The Mill themselves right after the wedding, they got attitude from the owner, asking why they were calling anyway - their answer was because THEY paid for their services, not that it should matter. So all in all, we did have a nice reception, as we didn't let the little things get to us that day, but we just wish the service had been as amazing as the meal.

Review for The Mill on the River

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Amanda O

I loved that the River Room overlooked the waterfall. They do a great job of landscaping complete with hanging flower baskets and a gazebo. The servers were extremely professional and were on top of their game. The head server introduced himself and executed everything perfectly.;Make sure that if there is another wedding at the same time that you can split the outdoor area for pictures. The other wedding had cocktails outside so we were forced to take pictures elsewhere on the grass. Also our guests were not asked how they would like their steak prepared and it came out very rare. I would have preferred that my guests receive their dinners how they like.

Send Email