Event Planning on the Outer Banks and Beyond

Our wedding and event coordination services are designed to suit your needs and your lifestyle. From the wild and free to the calm and serene, we have The Proper Setting for you.

Wedding

Planning

P.O. Box 1828, Kitty Hawk, NC (252) 441-8166

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Jessica B

My husband and I got engaged in Spring of 2015. We immediately knew that we wanted to have a beach wedding and were drawn to the Outer Banks. We began looking for our venue immediately and quickly learned that if you want to get married in a house on the beach you have to act... Read More quick. Fortunately we found our dream home/ venue. Shortly after we were told that we had to talk with Kerri, a wedding planner in the OBX from friends who had an idea of getting married down there but ultimately went down another path. I received her information from our friend and quickly contacted her. My husband and I set up a conference call with her for later on in the week. Upon the first five minutes of speaking with Kerri I felt upbeat, excited about my wedding and put at ease about the entire process. Both of us knew right away that we would be booking with her. We booked with Kerri about a year and a half away from our actual date. She immediately provided us with time lines of when we should be doing what and a general plan. We had monthly calls and email communication that we genuinely looked forward to. Kerri wanted to know more about us as a couple and individuals to help us plan our wedding and to help us understand who the best vendors were for us. We live in DC and trust me when I imagined planning a wedding in the OBX I saw dollar signs and multiple trips down to coordinate everything. We only made ONE TRIP during that entire year and a half. In that time Kerri organized our cake tasting, 3 catering tastings, meetings with our officiant and a visit to the house. We never questioned if working with Kerri was a good fit for us but trust me the fact that we only had to haul down there once was a huge help on our budget, time and sanity. The overall process was seamless and truly enjoyable. She worked with us to create a budget highlighting what we had described as being important for our event. She constantly kept us in check with what our vision was and what was truly important about us for our day. She constantly went above and beyond wit h communications with our vendors, organizing our contracts, receiving multiple shipments of things needed for the event and just being the anchor of our wedding. Each of our vendors that Kerri helped us choose were remarkable people and provided remarkable services. Kerri has truly become a part of our new family and we now look forward to our trips down to the OBX to relive the memories of our wedding and to visit our new OBX family. Thank you Kerri and The Proper Setting for giving us the wedding of our dreams and being incredible people every step of the way.

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Mallory T

Kerri is wonderful, professional, hard working, experienced, kind, punctual and a great listener all of which help to make her an EXTRAORDINARY wedding planner! If you find yourself shopping around for a planner let me save you the time and effort - you will NOT regret... Read More choosing The Proper Setting. I cannot say it enough that Kerri is the most amazing wedding planner. The money you will spend is nothing in comparison to the stress and work that Kerri takes off of your plate as a bride. I was super involved in the planning process and Kerri was very supportive and we worked together perfectly as a team! From day one Kerri assisted in the wedding planning process. She was amazing during this process and totally understood my vision and worked with me to make our wedding so special. When we had a vendor back out during the planning process she quickly found a solution (which was even better than our original). We knew six months before our wedding that we had chosen the best wedding planner on the Outer Banks! For our October wedding at Festival Park in Manteo, NC she and her team did a phenomenal job. With close to 300 guests Kerri and her team made our huge wedding a smooth and enjoyable event. It was amazing and I give all credit for the success of the event to The Proper Setting!

Reviewed on 10/07/2016 Kelly F

My husband and I cannot say enough great things about Kerri and her team! We planned a wedding on the Outer Banks from the Washington, DC area and I am confident we never would have been able to pull it off without her help! She introduced us to some of the most amazing... Read More vendors and expertly helped us navigate all the details of planning a destination wedding. Every single time I spoke with her, she had a way of putting my crazy bride mind at ease and putting me back on track and each time I walked away even more confident that we made the right decision in planning a destination wedding in such a magical location and I am 100% certain Kerri was instrumental in that process. And on the day of the wedding (and our rehearsal, which she helped with as well), she ran everything so expertly that literally I had to do was show up and enjoy every moment, knowing that Kerri and her team had everything under control and were executing my & my husband's vision exactly as we wanted it! It's been almost a month and I field comments daily from our family & friends about how perfect the wedding was and, more specifically, how amazing our planner was! We want to go back and do it all over again but I would never dream of doing this without Kerri! Seriously - you will NOT be sorry if you hire her - you'll only be sorry if you don't!

Reviewed on 6/05/2017 Courtney C

Kerri was amazing! She constantly responded through texts and calls for questions I had during the entire wedding planning process. I really enjoyed working with her and I am not sure our day would have been as perfect without her. She constantly provided support and advice as... Read More well! Would 100 percent recommend her!

Reviewed on 11/05/2016 Kate V

I'll try to keep this relatively short; however, that may be difficult considering all of the wonderful things I have to say about Kerri and her team. I knew I loved Kerri from the start because she offered to meet us at a local wine and beer spot, Trio, in OBX and shared a... Read More glass of wine with us during our first meeting. Brownie points there. She was so present and accommodating throughout the entire year of planning; she never missed an email, a phone call, a text. Never. She far exceeded my expectations, truly, and on top of just the planning aspect of the wedding, she was a comforting shoulder, a listening ear, to lean on. She was always offering herself in the event that I felt overwhelmed or stressed. She offered comforting advice as a new mom since I had discovered that I was pregnant only a few months before our wedding. She wasn't one of those pushy, overbearing, loud, obnoxious wedding planners. She has a very calming air about her, something that immediately draws you in. I have to say, I am extremely disappointed that I won't get to work with her anymore, but I will cherish the year that we had together. She's just amazing as is her team. On top of that, she offers the best recommendations on vendors. My wedding was as beautiful and amazing as it was because of her. I would recommend her a million times over.

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Nicole C

When my now-husband and I decided to have a destination wedding in the Outer Banks, we had no idea where to start since we weren't from the area. We chose to contact Kerri solely from her perfect reviews, and I'm so glad that we did. She helped us every step of the way, from... Read More choosing our stunning venue, hooking us up with the most amazing vendors to calming my nerves with multiple alternative arrangements in case the weather didn't cooperate with our outdoor plans. Her kind personality and her professional demeanor made me look forward to our planning sessions and I was actually very sad that I wouldn't be in regular contact with her after the wedding was over. Kerri has a true gift for coordination and she is committed to giving you a no-stress wedding. Any problem or concern that I emailed her about, she responded with "I'll handle it" and that gave me such peace of mind for my wedding day. I truly trusted that no matter what unexpected thing happened on the wedding day, Kerri would be able to handle it and still make the wedding flawless. I can't thank her enough for making the wedding of my dreams turn into a reality. My guests told me over and over that this was the nicest wedding that they have ever been to and it would not have been possible without Kerri! If you're looking for a coordinator, please don't waste a minute looking elsewhere because Kerri is truly the best!

Reviewed on 10/29/2016 Sarah T

Hiring The Proper Setting to help plan our wedding was undoubtedly one of the best decisions we made. Since we don't live in OBX, my parents and I were all planning from afar, and Kerri was the perfect person to help us make many of the decisions. Kerri was incredibly well... Read More organized and she made sure to keep us on track during the planning process. She was able to recommend some amazing vendors, all of which were just as great to work with as Kerri. Her great working relationships with all the vendors helped to shape the event into exactly what we envisioned. As the bride, I was expecting to be much more stressed out and frantic on my wedding day, but Kerri had everything under control and literally the only thing for me to do was get dressed. It made our weekend that much more enjoyable. Kerri was prepared for anything and everything on the day of the wedding, even to the point of sewing my dress back together when the clasp popped open. We were so lucky to have had her as part of such an amazing day. Thanks Kerri and the Proper Setting team!!! :)

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Veronica W

The words stress-free and wedding planning usually do not go hand in hand. But that is exactly what our experience was simply because of Kerri. When our daughter told us that the OBX was the place they chose to get married, since we are from PA, my first thought was that we... Read More needed a wedding planner. From our very first conversation, Kerri knew what we were looking for even though we had no idea and assured us she'd find exactly what we wanted. And, oh, she did that and SO MUCH MORE. And Kerri brought it all together with absolutely no stress. I know that reading this that you may not believe it but it is the total truth and I told her this time and time again throughout our time together. We did have to worry about a thing. Kerri took care of it all. If we ran into a glitch, I would tell my daughter to just email Kerri and the next thing we knew, there was an email back saying that it was taken care of. And I quickly realized I didn't even need to ask how it was taken care of because I learned very quickly that "taken care of" meant taken care of the best way possible so no need to even put thought or concern into it. Kerri connected us with some awesome vendors and definitely connected us with the ones that were perfect for us. We LOVED them all. But all of that said, the real testimony was, of course, the wedding day itself. The day of the rehearsal when Tropical Storm Julia was announced to be visiting the OBX, Kerri reassured us that if at any way possible, our daughter's outdoor wedding would happen and if that just couldn't happen, she had a Plan B, C and D. And this was the true test of the stress-free wedding that I was talking about. Here we were facing a tropical storm and Kerri was totally calm, cool and collective and she hugged my daughter and assured her that she was 100% in control of whatever came our way and would take care of it. And that is EXACTLY what she did. She worked with the decorator to set up Plan B for the reception (which turned out perfect) and she told us that she was getting our daughter and her fiancé married on that dock, out in the middle of the sound, if there was any way possible. We braced for the worst and got the best!!! Despite a huge storm the night before the wedding, we had a perfect wedding day and Kerri's positively calming voice and professional, caring approach with everything seriously made us relaxed about everything that was happening around us. As the mother of the bride, I never expected to enjoy my daughter's wedding the way that I did because when hosting an event I am usually concerned with details and making sure that everyone has what they need. Because we chose Kerri, the most amazing wedding planner in the OBX, I enjoyed EVERY SINGLE MINUTE of my daughter's wedding and reception and didn't have to give the tiniest thought to anything that was happening around us because I knew that Kerri had it "taken care of" in a way that only Kerri can do. Thank you, Kerri, for allowing us to hear our daughter and son-in-law tell us that their wedding was absolutely everything that they wanted and that they wouldn't have changed one thing. And thank you for allowing my husband and I to enjoy the day (and the planning) without a care. You are truly THE BEST at what you do!!!! And we will be forever thankful that we chose you (and we made our choice simply based on your reviews so that it why I found it so important to let others know how awesome you are)!

Reviewed on 10/21/2016 Fran T

We started the planning process for our daughter's OBX wedding interviewing several event planners. Our last interview was with Kerri Catino-Nason. I sure wish we started with her because she just blew us away with her simple yet extremely professional presentation. From the... Read More outset, Kerri offered suggestions and ideas we had not considered and this was even before we formally engaged her services. It quickly became apparent to us that we made the right decision. Whenever we spoke to a potential vendor during the early stages of the process, we were asked "who is your planner?". When we would simply respond Kerri without mentioning her last name or her company name, the vendors all responded with a smile and the statement "she's the best!" Every bit of advice was spot-on. Her vendor recommendations always came with choices and pros and cons about each. When issues arose, she provided sound guidance. As the big day approached, Kerri actually moved to an even higher level. Her organization and coordination of all of the vendors left my wife and I the time to really enjoy ourselves and our daughter's wedding rather than worry when and how things will get done. Kerri and her assistant Mary worked tirelessly that day, on-site for over 12 hours, ensuring all went as planned. A couple of situations arose that could have been quite problematic but Kerri very quietly and effectively resolved them. Without question, I strongly encourage you to start your search with Kerri; you won't need to go any further!

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Emily D

The proper setting did a wonderful job with assisting my husband and I plan our wedding. Kerri provided us with a very helpful timeline of what we should be doing and by what date we needed things done. Kerri guided us through the sometimes stressful process of planning a... Read More wedding but Kerri made it easy! Kerri had a list of all the vendors we would need for the wedding day. All of the vendors she recommended daily d an amazing job. The day of the wedding Kerri set everything up and all I had to do was sit back and get my make up done. That day I had no worries. I would highly recommend the proper setting to anyone looking to get married in the OBX. Outstanding service!

Reviewed on 9/23/2016 Sara K

Kerri and her team were incredible to work with. As a bride, I was overwhelmed by the multitude of choices available and everyone else's opinions. Kerri got to know my groom & I, and then curated vendor choices that were a perfect match to our style and personalities. She kept... Read More us on budget and on schedule and gave us honest and useful guidance. When it came to the wedding day itself, it was something extraordinary that we will remember forever. Since we've been back plenty of people have asked us, "Are you glad it's over?" And our answer is always the same "No! We'd love to do it again, it was the best day ever." And it really was- Everything was so beautiful, and we got to enjoy every minute of it, thanks to Kerri and her team. It was as stress free as it could have been (aside from the stress we put on ourselves!). We had no idea what was going on behind the scenes- which left us truly able to enjoy everything about the day with all the people we love. Even when the rented generator died at the end of the night, Kerri was prepared with extension cords and jumped in to save the last hour of dancing, giving us a great story to share with our friends and family for years to come. We loved working with Kerri, and seeing everything come together. The day was truly beyond our expectations. We were so lucky to have found her and are extremely grateful for her hard work, guidance, and expertise.

Reviewed on 9/22/2016 Lauren E

Booking Kerri and The Proper Setting team was the best decision we made for our wedding day in the Outer Banks. When we decided to rent a large home for our destination wedding, I knew I would need someone help organize all the details and make the day run smoothly. Kerri did... Read More both of those things, and SO much more to make our day perfect. My husband and I spoke to many vendors at the OBX bridal convention, but after meeting Kerri we knew she was perfect. From the first time we met her she was happy, bubbly, SO knowledgeable, well-connected, and professional. Throughout the entire planning process she kept me organized, helped with selecting vendors, and essentially provided feedback for anything and everything I could think of. I honestly would have never thought of half of the things Kerri did to get ready and plan for the big day. She was simply amazing with everything- from my event order, to dinner menu, to day-of timeline. When the big day finally came our event home looked straight out of my Pinterest page. When a last minute rainstorm switched up our first few plans, Kerri handled the big changes with so much grace and poise. I can only imagine the craziness of changing everything last minute, and because of Kerri I barely noticed the entire switch up. She continued to keep everything running smoothly amid the weather chaos and I was not stressed for a minute the entire day. We had the most amazing day of our lives, and none of it would have been possible without her or The Proper Setting Team. They were worth every cent and ten times more. The Proper Setting will make your day perfect- rain or shine!

Reviewed on 9/14/2016 Victoria W

I can't say enough wonderful things about Kerri at the Proper Setting. Everyone kept telling me she is the best and wow, they are right! Book her now, don't even think about it anymore. The best money you will spend on your wedding - she is worth every penny and more! For a... Read More year she helped plan our dream wedding at our favorite outdoor spot and she worked around my ridiculous schedule, answered all my crazy questions, and didn't let me forget any important details even though I am not the most organized person. She has great connections and helped me choose all the best vendors based on what we were looking for (and they really were the best!). When the weather started looking threatening, we decided to have a spur of the moment casual secret ceremony a few days early with just our family at our special spot. Kerri dropped everything to be there with only an hour notice, and she even arranged for a wonderful photographer to meet us there! It was something I hadn't thought would be important at the time but I can't imagine not having photos to remember that special ceremony! Thank goodness she thinks of all the things I don't. She even watched the radar to find us the perfect time between rainclouds to walk down the aisle. When hurricane/tropical storm Hermine decided to come through on our wedding day, she bent over backwards to change everything around at the last minute to make it happen at an indoor location she had kept in her back pocket. She somehow kept me sane the whole time. She pulled it off without me stressing about any of the complications that kept arising due to the storm with its scattered power outages, high winds, flooding, and downed trees. She allowed me to enjoy my wedding day but was by my side when she needed to communicate important changes or get an opinion. All my guests got there safely and we had a beautiful ceremony with the winds and ocean raging outside, followed by an awesome party no one will forget. If I had to do anything differently, I would have bought her biggest package and let her do everything from the rental house to the rehearsal dinner, to all the meetings with the vendors, etc. She just knows her stuff and if you want it done right just let her do it! Everything I did myself I knew she would have done better. Kerri is experienced, organized, cool under pressure, and sharp as a tack. Best of all, she becomes a friend. Thank you so much Kerri!

Reviewed on 7/05/2016 Wendy W

Mike and I are so grateful to have had the opportunity to work with Kerri. Kerri, from The Proper Setting definitely made our wedding day/week event planning process stress free and smooth sailing! We are so blessed to have had Kerri as a wedding planner and organze both our... Read More events for the week leading up to our special day along with our wedding day!! Everything was beautiful and we received so many compliments on the week, day of the wedding and it was all because Kerri put everything together perfectly. I couldn't have asked for a better wedding planner, she knows what she is doing! I would definitely recommend her to anyone in need of a wedding planner, and if I had to rate her from 1 to 10...it would be a 100!! Whenever we needed something or had a question, she always was responsive and quick! She was always professional. I was truly amazed by Kerri did it all flawlessly. She understood our vision and it turned out beautifully! Thank you so much again and I would highly recommend her to any engaged couple!!! Wendy & Mike Baire Columbus,

Incredible!

Reviewed on 11/08/2015 Lauren G

Kerri was a wonderful wedding planner! She was very detail oriented and organized! Kerri always made sure to remind my husband and me that our wedding day was about us and made sure we got everything we wanted. She made our wedding perfect and we highly recommend her for any... Read More event!

Highest Regard for The Proper Setting

Reviewed on 11/08/2015

I knew the moment I met Kerri that she was the right person for the job. Her organizational skills, diplomacy, creativity, knowledge of resources, responsiveness, energy, execution, calmness, and patience - all were superb. Some of our ideas were outside of the box and she... Read More managed to blend those with just the right touch of tradition. My daughter and her husband had the wedding of their dreams. So many guests told us it was the most wonderful wedding they had ever attended. I cannot imagine having done this without Kerri. She was perfect in every way.

Fantastic Planner, Amazing Wedding

Reviewed on 10/23/2015 Adriana Z

Working together with Kerri and the Proper Setting was a great experience culminating in a storybook marvelous wedding. I was planning from afar and Kerri was always very responsive and resourceful, either answering my questions or helping me to find the right vendor for my... Read More style and budget. I can't say enough good things about how helpful she was from day one of working together, but her capabilities as a wedding planner, organizer, manager and therapist (!) really showed through a week out from our wedding date. Synopsis: the wedding and ceremony were to be outside, the weather was getting worse and worse as the week progressed, I (the bride) was getting more and more distraught as it appeared more and more likely that all the meticulous planning might end up under water (literally, it rained everyday for a week.) Kerri and the Proper Setting were amazing, we spoke everyday, talking through options, looking at alternatives, tweaking and adjusting. Kerri was at the site everyday before the wedding, inspecting the grounds, the tent, the possibilities for getting me to and from the reception site without my wedding dress getting muddy - you name it, she thought about it, came up with options and executed a solution. Magically on the day of, 15 minutes before the ceremony, the skies cleared and everything was perfect. More perfect than I could have hoped or imagined - and much of that is due to Kerri and The Proper Setting.

There is no other setting like "The Proper Setting"!

Reviewed on 10/19/2015 Susan H

Kerri was amazing. We couldn't have done it without her! She is worth every penny and more!!! As a bride I was relaxed and at ease knowing she was handling all of the details the day of and everything leading up to the wedding. She is so knowledgeable and has the inside scoop to... Read More everything! She always has or will find a solution to every problem. Her team which includes Mary and Tony were extremely helpful as well! We are so happy with how everything turned out and none of it would have been possible without Kerri and The Proper Setting! Hire them immediately (they book up quickly) if you want the perfect event aka "The Proper Setting"!

Kerri Makes it Easy to Have your Dreams Come True!

Reviewed on 10/05/2015

We recently celebrated our wedding in the OBX and it was fabulous beyond our wildest dreams. My husband and I currently live in Idaho, so when we began planning our wedding at my parents home in North Carolina, it was clear we could use more help. Kerri was recommended to us by... Read More Dorothy from Bells and Whistles. I was skeptical that having a wedding planner was necessary at first, but I quickly realized that Kerri is worth her weight in gold. She is honest and will give you solid advice throughout the process. She has excellent working relationships with local vendors and her recommendations were all fantastic. She considered our wishes seriously and was there for us 100% throughout the planning process. Kerri is super organized and dependable. She always responded promptly day or night, even weekends, holidays and in between. Kerri helped us plan for various weather scenarios, so even if the weather was going to be crazy we were comforted that we were as prepared for it as possible. She is flexible and has a great sense of humor. Kerri is awesome and I recommend her services to anyone planning a wedding in the Outerbanks.

wedding at the black stallion

Reviewed on 9/09/2015

I am the parent of the groom and i dont know what we would have done without Kerri. We had the wedding at the Black Stallion in corolla and Kerri helped the whole week. She handled everything and eliminated a lot of stress. her perserverance and patience were... Read More extraordinary. The wedding itself was quite a production and it was perfect thanks to kerri.

Poise & fun from The Proper Setting

Reviewed on 8/25/2015

My biggest fear in wedding planning was - forgive me O Industry - the Wedding Industrial Complex. Would we be pushed to spend more money than we had budgeted? To be more glamorous than felt authentic to our personal style? I am happy to report that every vendor I met was... Read More professional and in no way pushy. Kerri, especially, was everything I wanted and nothing I feared. I called her up for an informational interview to see whether we could use a day-of coordinator, and she immediately rattled off several things I never would have thought of, and dispensed immediate advice. I thought, I need her!! And I am so glad we had her help leading up to and on our wedding day! Kerri had so much poise, rolling with last-minute changes, making fast decisions when they needed to be made, and was always ready with a smile and a witty remark to keep the day light and fun. Kerri went above and beyond her official role, offering advice on ceremony order, recommending inexpensive vendor options, reassuring me "pshh! no you don't need that! don't let anyone talk you in to that!" and being an all-around amazingly chill Outer Banks representative. Thank you Kerri!

The BEST

Reviewed on 7/29/2015 Katie R

Kerri is the BEST and an absolute necessity if you are planning a wedding on the Outer Banks. We were married at the Sanderling in June and planned the wedding from Chicago / DC, which could have been VERY stressful, but with Kerri's help, everything was a breeze! She is... Read More incredibly on top of things and responsive to questions / requests, but at the same time has a laid-back personality that puts you at ease. She helped with EVERYTHING, including a family party the week before the wedding (catering, decorations, etc.), recommending and connecting us with AMAZING vendors in the area (band, dessert, photographer, decorator, shuttles from the airport and during the wedding weekend), keeping details / bills in order for all these different vendors, answering all the questions we had, and of course, being there helping with anything and everything on the wedding day! We could not recommend Kerri enough, no matter where you are getting married in the Outer Banks (including the Sanderling) or how much wedding planning you think you need (from just handling a few details, to planning an entire wedding from scratch). She made wedding planning so easy and fun for me, my husband, and especially my mom (who mentioned several times that hiring Kerri was by far the best investment we ever made, and I couldn't agree more). Thank you Kerri!!!! -Katie, Joe, and Marcy

Book this vendor!!

Reviewed on 7/28/2015

Booking The Proper Setting for our wedding was the best planning decision that we made! Kerri (the owner) worked directly with us to ensure that our big day was perfect. She went above and beyond to work out every little detail so that we could relax and enjoy our wedding. She... Read More is responsive, organized and very personable. I can't think of a single bad thing to say about her! I will miss working with her, now that our wedding is over!

Extraordinary Attention to Details!

Reviewed on 6/19/2015

Folks, if you're looking for a wedding planner, PLEASE look no further than The Proper Setting, LLC (Kerri Catino-Nason). My husband (whoo hoo!!) and I can honestly say our wedding day would not have been as amazing as it was without Kerri! Kerri's vendor recommendations fell in... Read More line with our vision of our wedding. Am I gushing? You bet! Just being able to relax knowing everything was being taken care of was PRICELESS!!! Our wedding guests, families and friends--every one of them--talked about how great, professional and kind Kerri was. Not only can we recommend Kerri, we now call her friend! Congratulations to all who hire Kerri (The Proper Setting, LLC)!!!!

Best Investment

Reviewed on 6/09/2015

Our choice of The Proper Setting for wedding planning could not have been better. Without doubt, our investment in Kerri’s experience was the wisest choice of all of our wedding expenditures. She directed us to solid vendors and helped us overcome major challenges at our very... Read More large event home venue. Her knowledge saved us expenses several times her fee – on a very short timeline. As with any destination wedding you're going to want someone familiar with the area. The Proper Setting hits it out of the park in this respect. You will find Kerri’s connections to be invaluable – she knows everyone and everything you’ll need to create your special day on the Outer Banks.