Expert Bridal Alterations & Custom Sewing in LA

The Williamsburg Seamster is honored to be here for all of your bridal sewing needs, from the alterations and tailoring needed to perfect an off the rack gown, to the modernization of an heirloom gown that graced the aisle before you, to a fully custom, sustainably made, modern wedding dress, with expert, focused attention given to each bride with private appts. After 9 years working one-on-one with over 750 brides in Brooklyn, New York, TWS is thrilled to sew for Los Angeles-area brides from our beautiful sun-soaked studio in downtown LA. Profiled in The New York Times, Refinery29, Into the Gloss, and more, however, the most rewarding coverage has been in notes & reviews received after the wedding, learning how our work contributed to the beauty, comfort, and love of each brides' day!

Wedding Dresses, Dresses, Alterations, Bridal Stylists, Custom Designs, Private Appointments Available, Fashion Services, Fashion

318 West 9th Street, Los Angeles, CA (323) 739-4640

Reviewed on 12/26/2017 Veronica F

Nayantara was a great seamstress to work with – I was in love with my dress but she made the necessary alterations to make it even better! She is incredibly talented and took the time to show my mom how to button the dress and how to properly bustle the gown. She has a level of... Read More attention to detail that went above and beyond, she thought of everything like even how I was going to descend a huge staircase with the gown. I am so happy that we found Nayantara!

Reviewed on 11/13/2017 Ashley S

Nayantara was such a wonderful seamstress. I love love loved my dress from when I first tried it on, but she was able to make a few alterations that took the dress from great to a total showstopper. She gave me a game plan for how to get into the dress, where to button it to... Read More keep it straight, and how to bustle the dress. She also has such a great heart - following her on Instagram, I got to see that she gives back to the community, how inclusive and body-positive she is - she's exactly the person you want to work with for such a special day. I will be recommending her to all of my friends.

Reviewed on 11/01/2017 Anna S

Nayantara is incredible! I had first purchased a silk bias cut gown that needed to be taken in. I contacted Nayantara and she explained the difficulties of bias cut tailoring (I had no idea!) and set me up with a rush appointment to see what we could do. I decided to ditch the... Read More gown after our consultation. She sent me off to a boutique and I found the perfect gown in less than half and hour! She knew exactly what I was looking for and even the designer that would suit my style. My gown turned out just amazing. It fit and just looked absolutely stunning. Everyone asked if it had been made just for me. She added cups and the hem was done beautifully. I walked down the aisle and all evening without a hitch. She also added a bustle so I could pin up the train without losing any style or changing the look of the gown. It was fabulous! She really goes the extra mile and recommended/instructed me on how to use a handheld steamer for my gown and veil since we would be traveling for wedding. I also had a custom western jumpsuit made to match my husband's western vintage 70s suit by a friend. We thought we'd never find the fabric to match but Nayantara had a sample in her studio and knew exactly where to get it! So basically, thanks to Nayantara, everything clothing related to the wedding was on point. She is professional, super talented, relaxed, honest and, of course, the coolest. Don't even bother going anywhere else, she will do an amaze job. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed on 10/30/2017

Tara was recommended to me after I bought my dress at BHLDN. The adjustments she made to my dress made all the difference. when I came to her the dress was beautiful but had boxy feel to it and she streamlined it perfectly. She's clearly a master at what she does and just a... Read More lovely person to be around. Highly recommend!

Reviewed on 12/11/2016 Saarah J

Tara is outstanding. She is professional, efficient and amazingly talented at transforming wedding dresses so that they are the perfect look for each client (I say this based on my own experience and having followed her work on instagram for a while now). I'm particularly... Read More grateful to her for going out on a limb to help me when her NY schedule was fully-booked this late Summer/early Fall. I came to her with a beautiful BHLDN dress that needed to be taken in and required a sleeve. She altered it in a way that fit my body perfectly. The new sleeve was both better than the original one and did not appear to be a modification at all - she totally nailed the aesthetic (and improved it). I hope that many LA brides will get to experience the magic of Tara!

2016-12-11T19:43:52 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for this feedback and review. I'm so glad we were able to make it work in terms of timing, and particularly happy to have had the opportunity to customize your dress in such a fun, creative way, in addition to the... Read Less Read More

Nayantara Banerjee

Hi! I am the founder, seamstress, instagrammer, etc, of The Williamsburg Seamster, started in Brooklyn in 2007, shortly after graduating with my BS in Fashion Design from Syracuse University. I love hands-on sewing and working closely with people, yet found myself disillusioned with the mainstream fashion industry. I feel lucky to have found my true calling in helping incredible women look & feel amazing on their wedding day through sewing. I also study responsible innovation & labor rights in fashion, and hope to incorporate more sustainable, ethical practices in the wedding dress industry.