Candid, Real, Alive: Photography with intention

Our couples call our photography natural, candid, authentic, alive. Don't take our word for it - here's what one of our bride's recently said about working with us: “Photography was at the top of our priority list. It was really important for us to be able to capture the heart, spirit, and love throughout our wedding day. We met with a lot of photographers and were struck by the ease in which we could connect with Ben and the approach brought forward from This Is Feeling. Not only was their photography beautiful and matched the artistic style we were looking for, there was also a strong sense of intentionality in relationship building with us, learning our story, and creating space to talk about what was most important for us to be captured.”

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Lifestyle, Modern, Vintage

Bridal Portraits, Day After Session, Engagement

Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Weddings, Online Proofing, Digital Files, Film Photography, Printed Enlargements, Printed Proofs, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing

2215 S. Ford Ave., Chicago, IL (630) 640-2362
PINTEREST

Reviewed on 7/27/2017 Jenna J

What can I say about This Is Feeling that hasn't already been said? I ADORED working with the entire team from start to finish. From my initial emails and meetings with Ben, to our discovery call with Andrea and our photographers Kevin and Leah, every single person was focused... Read More on us and only us. They took the time to get to know exactly what we wanted in terms of wedding photography and left no detail undone. Kevin, our lead photographer, met with us via FaceTime and we planned out the entire day from start to finish, it was SO detailed. He also phone conferenced us a few days prior to our day to go over last minute details which was great. I worried about nothing in terms of his ability to get it all handled. On the day of, Kevin and Leah were prompt in all things and handled our photo schedule effortlessly. They were absolutely outstanding with getting our ideas across and the pictures show it. Kevin was also clutch because he was in on a major surprise I had for the reception which was bringing Tommy Hawk in-- Kevin was one of about five people who knew and kept it totally secret and stealth so he could get the perfect shot. At the end of the night we did an evening photo shoot which was a blast as well. I told them all day, they will get the highest accolades because they were hands down my best vendor. Ben has been a blessing too, he made my package totally work for me and made having Gifyyy possible at the reception which was a riot. He made figuring out our photo book totally a breeze. If you want THE best photographers in the city-- book This Is Feeling. The photos and customer service are worth every single penny and then some. Amazing all around!

Reviewed on 10/18/2017 Suzy C

This is feeling is great. We had Mike as our photographer. He came up with great questions to ask us during photos to make everything more candid and less staged. All our guests told us how they felt he was everywhere at all times. The photos turned out really nice and have a... Read More unique artistic quality. We are in the process of creating our album and are very excited for the final product.

Reviewed on 10/06/2017 Casselyn T

This Is Feeling Photography went above and beyond to intimately capture our special day. From our first meeting with Ben (and his team) when they asked us questions about, not just about our wedding intentions, but our relationship (and we looked like deer in headlights b/c they... Read More were questions/concepts we never thought about), we knew we made the correct choice in hiring them. They were beyond professional, actually kept us on track with our wedding planning, and made the concept of taking photos relaxing. I am a nervous posed picture taker, and not once did I feel posed - I just felt like I was hanging out with friends and someone was capturing the moment. This is exactly what you want in your wedding photographer. You will not be disappointed and I can't highly recommend them enough!

Reviewed on 8/27/2017 Kristen J

Mike and Leah are incredible! We are so happy with the beautiful photos that they took of our wedding on June 23. Friends and family keep telling us how amazing our photos turned out. Not only are Mike and Leah incredible photographers, they are very friendly and professional.... Read More We had so much fun with them on our wedding day. From day one, we had a great experience with This is Feeling. Ben was extremely helpful in getting us started—answering our questions and learning about our expectations. Once we were matched with Mike as our photographer, he took the time to talk with us about all the details and locations to make sure he understood our vision and preferences. Mike and Leah nailed all of the shots we had requested and captured so many beautiful moments of the day that we’ll cherish forever. I highly, highly recommend This is Feeling.

Reviewed on 7/19/2017 Jeannie K

I think my now husband and I have had more fun looking at our photos than actually being at our wedding! And that's because of Ben and his This is Feeling team. We didn't want photos that were staged--we wanted moments (mainly because we are both very awkward smilers when... Read More staged-hah!). When we look at our photos we are truly moved with emotion all over again and immediately remember and feel what it was like being in that room on that unforgettable day in our lives. Ben is a true artist-- calm, cool and quick with his shots and, best of all, you don't even notice him there. You are living in the moment and he is capturing it for you to relive for the rest of your years together. We can not recommend This is Feeling enough.

Reviewed on 7/17/2017 Ellen O

When I started planning my wedding, I actually thought I might skip the photographer and concentrate on experiencing the day. But This Is Feeling popped up on The Knot and the photographs were so beautiful that I couldn't resist calling. Despite my misgivings about cost and the... Read More many wedding photographers I had seen take over weddings with too many posed shots, Ben had me convinced in no time, and I couldn't be happier with the decision! Our photographers, Jake and Tony, were fantastic to work with. They were kind, easy going, and made us (and our guests) feel comfortable. And man, did they capture some amazing shots! The emotions of the day, the personalities of our friends and family, the little moments we didn't even realize were happening -- it's all there in the photos, just like Ben said it would be. And it was just fun. Looking back, my husband and I realized that some our favorite, most romantic time together happened when we were doing our portrait shots with Jake. Quietly and tactfully, he created the space for us to enjoy our wedding day even more, and was capturing the beauty of it all the while. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Reviewed on 7/11/2017 Lindsay M

I can literally not say enough good things about working with Ben and the This Is Feeling team. Ben shot our wedding weekend in Greenville, South Carolina in April 2017. From the get go, communicating with Ben was easy and simple. think what stood out the most (besides the... Read More INCREDIBLE photos Ben and team captured and produced) was that he really CARED about us and our wedding day. We became friends. We trusted them and felt so comfortable which is pretty much impossible for an OCD bride planning a destination wedding! Our breath was literally taken away at the slides show This Is Feeling created. A lot of people hire a photographer just for the price or photos, but I truly think it goes beyond that. You want to build a relationship with your photographer to ensure they understand your goals and hopes. Ben did more than that – he shares his tribal knowledge of weddings with us on what is REALLY important, which is the small moments that pass you by in the flurry of a wedding day/weekend. It really makes a huge difference to work with a vendor that you can trust and know they want the best for you - especially in wedding planning. We cannot thank Ben and team enough for capturing our wedding weekend and truly becoming a friend and trusted partner. I thought I was crazy asking a photographer to travel to an out of town wedding – but it was the right decision. Ben made my husband and I feel comfortable and working with us to create a unique, custom package to suit our wants and needs. Great value for the investment. Highly highly recommend!

Reviewed on 5/17/2017 Megg W

If I could give Ben and This Is Feeling Photography 100 stars I would. The most important decision for me on the wedding way was finding the perfect photographer. Ben exceeded our expectations and I can't recommend him enough. The photographs themselves are stunning works of... Read More art, but Ben offers much more than just his photography skills. We had an unfortunate mishap with our venue days before the wedding and Ben was the very first person I reached out to and he helped put my mind at ease and used his experience and expertise to help make our wedding day perfect. The day of the wedding he even put together a slideshow so our guests could enjoy some photographs during the reception. Go visit Ben at his beautiful studio, and book him before you let the opportunity to work with him pass you by!

Reviewed on 1/04/2017 Britnee K

​For every bride and groom, finding the person who will capture your special day is a profoundly important moment. For my husband and I, finding a photographer who was truly an artist was one of our top priorities. We knew we wanted someone to capture the moments of the day... A... Read More tear rolling down a cheek, a smile when you thought no one was watching, a grasp of the hand that gets tighter as the night goes on... We didn't care about the cheeky poses that hang above the proverbial mantle. We wanted feeling and love. That's how we got turned on to the phrase "documentary photography." This real-life, real-motion work was exactly what we were looking for. As far as finding the perfect artist, I had an amazing wedding planner (Shannon Gail) who gave me a number of suggestions, but I am lucky enough to have a friend who was previously a wedding photographer, so when I went on my hunt to find my photographer, I started with the suggestions she had given me. I loved my friend's work, so I knew she would send me in the right direction. When suggesting Ben (This Is Feeling), she defined him as an artist and said his aesthetic was exactly what we were looking for. She could not have been more right. His work was everything we wanted. Meeting Ben was like meeting someone we had known for years. He is SO laid back and calm. So much so that when we left our first meeting, I turned to my husband and said, "That is the vibe I want to feel on our wedding day. Ben's vibe." He laughed and agreed. We booked him immediately. Ben made every step of the photo process so blissful. Our engagement photos were STUNNING and we had a blast shooting them. The questions he asked and we answered in the months that followed helped to build a strong connection that carried over onto our wedding day. On the day of our wedding, Ben brought that amazing calm vibe and we all felt it. He did his thing... Sometimes we knew he was taking photos and other times we didn't. He knew how to capture the essence of our day, and we trusted him with that. My husband and I actually only had about 15 minutes to take portraits with Ben, but we knew he would get some beautiful shots even in limited time... And to be honest, the portraits aren't even my favorite photos from the day... My favorites are the moments! Seeing our photos for the first time was beyond surreal... After your wedding day, you feel like you can't possibly remember all of the little parts of the day.... Well, if you book Ben, don't worry. He'll help you remember them. We truly relived the most perfect day of our lives through Ben's lens. Thank goodness we trust Ben so much to create our canvases and photo book because I honestly don't even know how to pic the photos that I want to keep forever. I'm happy we have digital versions of everything so even the pictures I don't print can be kept in the cloud forever. I can't speak highly enough about Ben and This Is Feeling. The photography is artistically beautiful, yes, but it's also meaningful, thoughtful, and honest. If you want to remember the moments, hire This Is Feeling immediately.

Reviewed on 12/27/2016 Lauren G

We had an amazing experience with This is Feeling and with Ben. We used Ben for both our engagement and wedding day photos and both far exceeded our expectations. Ben and his team did an amazing job truly capturing the emotions felt during the wedding! This was very important to... Read More us as we knew the wedding day would be such a blur. However looking back at our pictures we are able remember just how amazing and happy the wedding day was. Ben was very professional and friendly at the same time which made us and our wedding party feels so comfortable the day of the wedding. Ben was able to help us make everything went smoothly and we kept to our desired schedule! He had wonderful recommendations for unique places in the city to take picture which all turned out so amazing. I would highly recommend Ben and his team!

Reviewed on 12/06/2016 Ashley A

Mike was fantastic! We had him running around for a very long day between 4 locations and he never missed a beat. Our wedding party commented all day about how fun he was and we truly connected with him. Mike even helped Gavin tie his bow tie a few times! Both the photos from... Read More our forever session and the wedding were so amazing - we are in love! We had a great time going into the studio to view a slideshow preview after the wedding. We are working with Mike and Ben now to create an album and they have been so friendly and helpful even with us being picky. I could not recommend This Is Feeling enough. The photos are one-of-a-kind and truly capture the atmosphere, personalities, and feeling of every moment. Thank you so much!

Reviewed on 12/05/2016 Rachel W

I depended heavily on reviews when I was vendor shopping so I have to write a review for ThisisFeeling. My husband and I agreed that our most important money spent on our wedding would be our photographer. We met with Ben at Thisisfeeling and were sold right away. After we... Read More signed our contract with them, a photographer was selected for us based on what Ben would think would be the best fit for what we were looking for. Mike was our photographer for our engagement photos and for our wedding. We feel so blessed to have had Mike work with us - our engagement photos look like they could be in a magazine. After getting back such amazing engagement photos we had no doubt that he would deliver excellent work for our wedding. He definitely did. We got our wedding pics back about 6 weeks after our wedding with about 1000 edited beautiful pictures. I have looked at our photos so many times and am just amazed that Mike was able to capture so much emotion and really captured the whole day in a way that it tells a story better than a videographer could have. Thisisfeeling's photography style is truly like a work of art. In addition to the work itself, Mike as a person was great to work with. He fit in with our wild wedding party and was a blast to be around. He also was everywhere it seemed like without ever being 'too much'. Our family, friends, and guests have had nothing but great things to say about Mike and the quality of our photos. Thank you to Thisisfeeling and Mike for giving us photos that we will cherish forever.

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Hannah R

This is Feeling is an amazing company. We had Ben, the owner, photograph our engagement photos in Chicago and our wedding pictures in Sun Valley, Idaho. Ben was amazing to work with and made the whole process feel very relaxed. This is a lot to say because I absolutely hate... Read More having my picture taken and having pictures feel forced/fake. Ben interacted with us just the right amount to get perfect engagement/wedding pictures. He knows how to pick locations and light to give you dramatic and stunning pictures! I can't describe how easy Ben is to work with and the feeling he puts into the pictures. Everything will feel genuine. The pictures will look like works of art!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Amanda G

Ben captured absolutely incredible moments from our downtown Chicago wedding. Several of our friends used This is Feeling for their wedding photography and had recommended we look into – we immediately knew the caliber we’d be signing up for if we went with them. Pictures and... Read More moments – yes, but we had no idea the beautiful art we would be creating. From the engagement photo shoot, communication with their team throughout the process, and the day of the wedding, Ben was a joy to work with and truly a calming presence. We were able to be clear about what we wanted, and our wedding photos were exactly what we asked for – beautiful, candid moments – truly artwork. We watched together and actually cried as we relived all of the moments we didn’t even know existed from that day – it was our story. At the end we looked at each other and commented that this photographer was worth every penny. We are blown away and will not hesitate to recommend This is Feeling to everyone in the wedding planning stages. Thank you Ben and team for capturing our day in a way that truly makes us proud.

Reviewed on 10/29/2016 Sonali G

We worked with Ben and ThisIsFeelingPhotography for our wedding at the end of August. We can't say enough great things about Ben! He took the time to get to know us before the wedding by meeting with us to go over our expectations for the day. This was especially fun for us... Read More because we had a chance to see what eachother's opinion was. Ben was so detail oriented, kind and exceptional at his work. He captured amazing moments for us that we will treasure forever! We would recommend him to anyone that wants photos that capture the raw emotion of the day :)

Reviewed on 10/29/2016 Line A

When my husband and I started planning our Chicago wedding from Norway, it was important to us to find a photographer whose style we loved and who could handle online meetings and long distance planning. We decided to go with This is Feeling after a couple of phone/Skype... Read More meetings with Ben, and he ended up being our photographer on our wedding day in August. We were so happy with our choice. This is Feeling took care to find out what our expectations for the photographs were, they had good planning tools, and on the magical but very hectic day of, Ben was efficient, professional, friendly, and helpful beyond expectations. We received our photos about 2 months after the wedding and they are beautiful. Romance, funny moments and memorable details are all in there, we love them.

Reviewed on 10/28/2016 Brett B

This is Feeling did an incredible job at my wedding! Ben and his team captured every single moment beautifully. They found amazing landscapes and landmarks all over the city to photograph us. Not only were the pictures amazing, but he also put together some lovely canvas ideas.... Read More Also, don't even get me started on how amazing our album looks!! I think the most important quality of Ben and This is Feeling is patience. He worked so well and was so thoughtful when it came to different settings and how they needed to be shot. Plus, he was willing to work with us for a long time after our wedding. I could not recommend them enough. Thanks, Ben

Reviewed on 10/26/2016 Robert B

Photography was at the top of our priority list. It was really important for us to be able to capture the heart, spirit, and love throughout our wedding day. We could not have found a better photographer than Ben. We met with a lot of photographers and were struck by the ease in... Read More which we could connect with Ben and the approach brought forward from This Is Feeling. Not only was their photography beautiful and matched the artistic style we were looking for, there was also a strong sense of intentionality in relationship building with us, learning our story, and creating space to talk about what was most important for us to be captured. We had a great engagement session with Ben in Chicago, which left us really excited and confident about our wedding photography. Ben was so easy to work with on our wedding day in Madison, WI and brought along a second shooter as well. We experienced some major weather struggles and Ben was able to work really well around it and decrease our concerns. Our photos were breathtaking and accurately captured the moments that mattered most to us. We are so appreciative to have found This Is Feeling and would highly recommend them!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Kristin H

I first stumbled across This is feeling while my mother and I were at a trade show this past January. Normally I would never attend a wedding trade show as typically it doesn't house vendors that I would be naturally drawn to. However, that was not the case when I walked up to... Read More the This is feeling booth and met Ben and his wife. I was instantly drawn to their stylistic approach and wanted to learn more. After a great conversation and consulting with my now husband we decided to move forward. We got the pleasure of being paired up with Kevin. Once we were matched he scheduled a call with us to get to know us better, there was an instant connection and we felt like a friendship was formed! Kevin was a true pleasure to work with. He nailed our engagement session listening to every part of what we wanted to portray in our photographs and what was special to us. Six months later was our wedding, where we had the pleasure of working with Kevin and Jake who was the second shooter. I can't tell you what a fantastic duo they were. Wedding photographs are an investment for lifelong memories on one of the most important days of your lives. I am so lucky for the beautiful memories we will have forever captured by This is feeling, thank you again!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Elizabeth H

Thisisfeeling did an absolutely amazing job from beginning to end! We worked with Ben for our engagement and wedding pictures. From the start, Ben really got to know my husband and I which was refreshing and comforting knowing that he would be capturing one of the most intimate... Read More moments of our lives. It was important for us not to get your typical “stand here, pose and smile” pictures. Before our engagement session, Ben met with us in person and really understood what we were looking for – the engagement pictures were fantastic. This made us super excited to see what he would do for our wedding pictures. Before the wedding Ben set up additional conversations to talk to us about our wedding – everything and anything that was important for us. On the day of our wedding Ben and Eric (our second photographer) did an outstanding job! They felt like part of my family helping make my day special – I didn’t feel like I had “photographers” there, they were an extension of us. I was super anxious to get our wedding pictures and when we did – I cried like a baby! Thisisfeeling exceeded our expectations (which were already high from our engagement session) capturing intimate moments and emotions throughout the day. I cannot recommend them enough – your wedding day pictures are an investment and these guys are worth every penny!

Reviewed on 10/20/2016 david s

This is Feeling was a great fit for what my wife and I wanted in terms of wedding photography. Firstly everyone from TIFP were polite, professional, and took the time to get to know us individually as well as a couple. Even at the beginning of the process the extensive... Read More interview made me feel that they wanted to match what we wanted rather than what they wanted to show. I could tell they truly listened to what we wanted/not wanted and fully delivered on the actual wedding day. On the actual wedding day, everything was already organized and discussed which meant we didn't have to micro-manage anything that Kevin and Jacob already had planned. I couldn't appreciate enough that they even didn't push for cliche photos that everyone does, (everyone knows those lame wedding photos that look too posed or fake and TIFP made sure there was none of that) which made my wife and i feel greatly appreciated! I didnt feel rushed nor did I feel like they were taking their time. Both photographers were great with on the fly opportunities throughout the day and have a great idea of how to get the best lighting. The candid photos turned out great and the overall experience was exactly what I expected, not to mention the pricing was very reasonable. The final products were great, and we have long lasting memories that we can re-live every time we open our album. They were clear, not too artsy and weird/abstract. I strongly recommend TIFP to anyone who is looking for professional photographers.

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Amber S

Ben is amazing. I was very wary of hiring a photographer for our wedding because most (if not all) of my friends and families were disappointed in their photos. We met with Ben and had our engagement shoot and my fears were relieved. He was incredibly professional and had a very... Read More quick turn around to get the photos back to us. Pros: Rights to all edited photos, Album, Engagement shoot, professional, quick delivery. Cons: Cost (but worth every penny)

Reviewed on 10/16/2016 Danielle S

These guys rock! We were drawn to their style of photography and their ability to capture details and feelings in their shots. The day of our wedding they made everyone feel at ease in front of the camera. We haven't even seen the photos yet but I'm already giving them 5 stars... Read More as they did an amazing job that day navigating our wedding parties, families, us, guests, etc. Also, the giffyy is a MUST. Our guests loved it, and it is so fun looking back at all the giffys.

2016-10-16T15:30:39 Response from the vendor

Ha, too cool! Thanks so much for trusting us with your wedding photography AND for getting Gifyyy photo booth. It's a ton of fun isn't it?! We are super excited to share your wedding photographs with you!

Reviewed on 9/16/2016 Emily S

It was love at first site with this photography studio! I knew the moment I saw their work on theknot.com that they were the ones I wanted photographing our wedding, and they lived up to our every hope and dream. They were the only photographers I contacted and we were so lucky... Read More to be able to book them. We loved them because their work really shone with genuine emotion and feeling (no pun intended) while all others appeared stiff, posed, and unappealingly planned. Their style is unique in that it's whimsical, artsy, and documentary-like. They capture candid, authentic, beautiful and beautifully organic moments along with some of the more formal portraiture. They were kind, funny, and great to work with during the planning process which was tough because we live out of state and planned from afar. We met our photographers, Jake and Kevin, on the DAY OF the wedding and they were truly out of this world!!! These guys were so nice and easy-going, and while we were overwhelmed by everything that was happening and even a little bit uncomfortable in our own skin, they made the day SO much fun and put us right at ease. I felt myself begin to relax in front of their cameras because they were such good guys and good sports who were clearly also having fun, which only made it more fun for us. They were true professionals and their passion for a good shot was infectious. I absolutely can't wait to see what they came away with from our special day, and only wish we lived closer to the Chicago area so we could take these two guys out for a beer. They were incredible and we can never thank them enough. If you're undecided as to your photographer for YOUR special day, I'd pick this group 1000 times over again. I highly recommend them.

2016-10-16T15:32:44 Response from the vendor

Reading statements like "I felt myself begin to relax in front of their cameras because they were such good guys and good sports who were clearly also having fun" REALLY shows us how important it is for us to keep focusing on our approach to... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 8/24/2016 McKinley S

Ben was absolutely fantastic every step of the way. We felt very confident that he knew what he was doing. He made us feel very comfortable, and we were so happy to have him be a part of our day.

2016-08-25T03:01:24 Response from the vendor

Hey thanks so much McKinley! Loved photographing your wedding and being a part of your celebration. - Ben

Ben Chernivsky

Born and raised in Chicago, Ben Chernivsky explored the world before settling down as a full-time wedding photographer in Chicago. Ben spent 9 years working through degrees in photography, journalism, creative writing, and global studies. After working as a freelance photojournalist for a few years, Ben started a full-time wedding photography studio in 2011, shortly after getting married in 2010. In 2015 he became a father to a beautiful little girl, and he started a new photo booth business called ZippyBooth, a new and unique approach to the traditional photo booth.