WEDDING OFFICIANT - CREATING CEREMONIES THAT FIT!

My specialty is writing and leading ceremonies that fit who you are, your values, and how you see your marriage. My first step is to meet with you, learn as much as possible about you as individuals and as a couple, and then craft a ceremony that you and your guests will love. The more complicated your backgrounds, the more I love the challenge. And the more interesting the ceremony can be! I serve all faiths - or none, - all ethnicities and combinations, and all sexual orientations. My only requirement is that you genuinely love each other and intend for this to be a lifetime commitment. My goal is to provide you with a ceremony that you and your families will find deeply meaningful and your guests will find memorable. The reviews on my website attest to my ability to do this.

Elopement, Interfaith Ceremony, Non-Religious Ceremony, Religious Ceremony, Same Sex Ceremony, Second Wedding , Vow Renewal Ceremony

Religious Affiliations

Baha'i Faith, Buddhist, Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican/Episcopal, Baptist, Congregationalist, Lutheran, Methodist, Nondenominational, Presbyterian, Protestant, Quaker, Christian, Hindu, Interfaith, Reform, Jewish, Muslim, Pagan, Secular, Spiritual, Unitarian, Wiccan

Ceremony, Wedding

Cf805d40 a376 487a b64d 0a02ca20f736~rs 100

Baltimore/ MD/ & DC (410) 812-1756

Reviewed on 11/07/2017 Kathryn C

I wish there were more stars, Rovan was absolutely incredible to work with from start to finish. It's been a month since Rovan officiated our wedding, and I cannot stop replaying the day back in my head. I'm so thankful to have had you as our wedding officiant. Thinking over and... Read More over the ceremony was the best part of the whole day. Everything happened so quickly it seems, but the ceremony slowed down just so I could enjoy every second. The entire room was filled with so much love, and I know everyone loved the ceremony (almost) just as much as I did :) Thank you, thank you, a hundred times thank you!

Reviewed on 11/29/2017 Beth A

Our ceremony was everything we ever dreamed thanks to Rev. Rovan! Working with him was never short of laughs, but he also made our ceremony into one that not only we but also every one of our guests will never forget. He made the process so easy and delivered the most perfect... Read More ceremony. After waiting so long to finally marry my best friend I could not have wished for anything other than what Rev. Rovan delivered. I would recommend him to any other bride 110%!!!

Reviewed on 9/14/2017 Amanda W

Rovan's professionalism and personality sold us as soon as we met him. He took the time to learn about our relationship - how we met, what we like, what our plans were - and formed a personalized story-telling script to capture our wedding day audience. He kept it light-hearted... Read More and included a few funny moments, but also included the usual vows, a blessing, and a reading to expand our ceremony overall. Also, he really touched on the love surrounding us by including our families and the audience in the program. It was engaging and we've been told more than once that he did an excellent job as our officiant! Being a worrier, I had plenty of concerns and questions for Rovan throughout the planning process and the rehearsal. He always responded quickly and completely and was able to come up with solutions when needed. Besides performing a wonderful ceremony, he also did an exceptional job with our rehearsal the night before. He was very detailed in what to do and when, and that made us and our wedding party even more comfortable with the walk-through. if you are looking for an amazing speaker to capture your audience - and someone to make your day specialized to your tastes - Rovan's your guy. We fully recommend working with him for your upcoming wedding or event.

Reviewed on 7/19/2017 Emily C

Rovan Wernsdorfer officiated our wedding in May 2017 at the Legg Mason Tower. He was outstanding--which is an understatement. We met with him last winter and found him to be very personable and genuine. After chatting with him for a few minutes, we already felt like we were... Read More friends. His priority was to put together a ceremony that truly reflected us. After getting an idea of who we were, our interests, how we met, and our relationship, he put together a draft ceremony that we were able to edit and really make our own. There were no surprises--we knew exactly what was going to be said. We could tell he truly had our best interests at heart. We wanted an "unplugged" ceremony so that our photographers could capture the best pictures and he took that seriously by making an announcement to our guests. He suggested a hand fasting ceremony which we used, along with some ribbon from my late grandmother's sewing basket. We received so many compliments about how personal and unique they found our ceremony. We absolutely loved our ceremony and we are so grateful to Rovan!

Reviewed on 7/05/2017 Vivienne M

We are so grateful for all of the amazing work Rovan put into making our wedding ceremony the smashing success that it was. Our guests loved the way he recapped our story, his balance of levity and gravitas, and how he kept the pace moving at a perfect speed. He was also a very... Read More calming presence up at the altar, which was much appreciated! We have genuinely loved working with Rovan through this whole process. He helped us kickstart our new life together in the best way possible!

Reviewed on 4/26/2017 Charsett B

We loved every bit of the process, from creating the ceremony, to the rehearsal, to the actual ceremony . Our guests have raved about how the ceremony was delivered and how it was structured. Some mentioning that had never experienced a ceremony like ours and how they weren't... Read More bored and were entertained with the stories etc. Rovan's delivery was exceptional and the Hand-fasting ceremony unique and sentimental. You will not be disappointed in selecting Rovan to be your officiant, he was exceptional and truly captured our vision.

Reviewed on 4/10/2017 Jenn L

Rovan was simply wonderful. He met with us about a year before our wedding to get to know us, hear our how-we-met story, hear our own personal back stories, and get a feel for us as a couple. He was at the meeting place all set up before we even arrived. When we received the... Read More first draft of the ceremony, we were totally blown away with how well he captured us as people. I am not religious at all but my family is Catholic/Jewish and my husband comes from a slightly Christian family, so he wrote a ceremony that he lovingly called "God lite," as in, light references to God, but was otherwise pretty secular. Rovan provided us material for writing our own vows, as we wanted to do that originally, but ended up using the traditional ones. He also included in the draft multiple different unity ceremonies, which helped us figure out which one to do. (We ended up doing a sand ceremony!) At the ceremony, he made more than one announcement for guests to not use phones or cameras during the ceremony, which I am eternally grateful for. He told our meeting story with grace and humor, as it was not a typical story and involved human waste in a retail store haha. So many family members and friends​ told us how much they enjoyed the ceremony and how great he was. If you choose to let Rovan craft a ceremony around you and your beloved, you will not be disappointed at all. He will be fully invested in making sure your ceremony is exactly perfect for you.

Reviewed on 1/16/2017 Sasha B

We are so happy that we found Rovan to officiate our wedding! He thoughtfully worked with us in the months leading up to our big day to create a ceremony that perfectly balanced our secular beliefs with our family's Jewish and Christian backgrounds. His always great advice,... Read More continued flexibility as we changed our minds about what to include in the ceremony, and responsiveness made Rovan an absolute pleasure to work with. In the end, he created a beautiful wedding ceremony for us that we will cherish forever! We recommend Rovan to anyone in need of an officiant!

Reviewed on 1/08/2017 Jessica G

Over the last year I was able to develop a good relationship with Rovan. Through our countless email exchanges and our in person meeting I was able to feel comfortable with sharing my story with him. We had so many family members come to us praising Rovan and our ceremony.... Read More Rovan was very flexible with us and really was able to accommodate our crazy request. We wanted a short ceremony and Rovan was able to make it work. We also left our marriage license at the hotel the night of the wedding, and Rovan came into the bridal suite and reassured me that it was going to be okay (I was so emotional that night I felt like everything was going wrong). We ended up meeting with Rovan the next day and he was able to fill out our paper work for us so it all worked out! I loved how Rovan creates his script and shares it with us to make edits. His turn around was fast to in less than 24 hours of meeting us. He provides material to help you create your vowels, gives you lists of scriptures and readings that could be read, he's very organized and professional. I am so happy I was able to meet Rovan and that he was apart of our very special day. Thank you again!

Reviewed on 10/24/2016 Emily M

Rovan was a lifesaver during our wedding. Not only did he script a beautiful, heartfelt ceremony that managed to please both my groom and I (not very religious) and our fathers (both of whom are Christian), he also worked with us to personalize our ceremony and read over our... Read More self-written vows beforehand in order to provide feedback. Best of all, when my now-husband realized during the ceremony that he had misplaced his vows, Rovan provided a copy that he'd made sure to include with his own paperwork. He was a consummate professional throughout the wedding planning process, and didn't even complain when our rehearsal started an hour late the evening before our wedding due to awful traffic in the area. We are so, so thankful for his beautiful words and hard work, and we received countless compliments from our wedding guests on his service, both on the quality and the length (just right for a wedding ceremony!). I found Rovan through Thumbtack and feel like I really lucked out--I can't imagine anyone else could have done such a perfect job on the most important part of our perfect day.

Reviewed on 8/09/2016 Samantha N

Rovan worked with my (now) husband and I to create the perfect ceremony. He took the time to get to know us so that the ceremony would be personal and thoughtful. He could not have been more professional, caring, and easy to work with. Trying to create a ceremony that would... Read More satisfy both Jewish and Catholic families we thought would be a challenge, but Rovan made it easy offering suggestions and really listening to us and working our ideas into the ceremony. After the wedding everyone was coming up to us to let us know that the ceremony was one of the best they had ever been to! I would highly recommend Rovan to anyone!

Reviewed on 8/07/2016 Molly H

Rovan was so incredibly easy to work with! We communicated back and forth many times between our first meeting and the day of the wedding. He is helpful, responsive, and completely sets your mind at ease while in the midst of what can be a really stressful time! Our ceremony was... Read More perfect - exactly what we wanted. So many people asked how we found Rovan and commented on how funny and kind he was, as well as how perfect the ceremony was! I can not recommend him highly enough.

Reviewed on 6/13/2016

Almost everyone is talking about how a great job our officiant did after the wedding at the reception! It is not that kind of mundane wedding we saw on TV where everyone fells asleep... Instead Rovan made lots of laughing, crying and participation in our ceremony. He met us for... Read More 3hrs beforehand to know us and our story and he wrote the ceremony all by his own. Everyone loves the little funny story of how we met, how we got together and why we choose to marry each other. It feels like we are in a movie, and it is a lifetime experience, we feel so lucky to have Rovan~~

Reviewed on 6/08/2016

We had a small wedding without a wedding coordinator. Rovan was so helpful and flexible stepping in wherever he could to help everything run smoothly. He was extremely organized and professional through the whole process. He was very prompt and responsive to any questions. On... Read More our in initial meeting with Rovan, he took time to get to know us. He tailored our wedding ceremony to fit our beliefs and included details about our life together. Our guests really enjoyed listening and even sometimes laughing at our story as Rovan has a knack for engaging an audience. My husband and I were both nervous, but Rovan was there to lead and help us every step of the way. It was a beautiful ceremony and I am so greatful for the part he played in that. I would recommend Rovan of Thoughtful Weddings to anyone who is looking for an officiant to help make your special day enjoyable and worry-free.

Reviewed on 6/03/2016 Sienna V

Rovan first got to know us over the phone as we live out of state. On one of our trips to Baltimore for wedding planning we had a wonderful in person conversation with him where we felt like we got to tell him all about each of us, us as a couple and about our families. He... Read More sent us a copy of the ceremony that was filled with wonderful stories and he let us make edits to it so that it was perfect. He led a quick and orderly rehearsal and did an incredible job the day of our wedding!

Reviewed on 5/02/2016

Rovan really saved the day for us. Our original officiant cancelled on us the Wednesday before our Saturday wedding, and we're so grateful Rovan was able to fit us in. He replied to our inquiry quickly to set up a phone call, and talking to him it was immediately clear that he... Read More was a much better fit for us (no pushing religious agendas). We met Friday at our poorly-organized parking lot rehearsal, and he took charge like a pro and made me feel very comfortable with the ceremony. I emailed him some of my and my now-husband's backstory, and I was impressed with how he fit it into the ceremony (it felt much more intimate than what our original officiant had planned, even though he had known us for years), and I now have a great photo of him cracking my maid of honor up with some of our early antics. With Rovan as our officiant, we were still able to have our godmothers give readings, as was our original plan, and he did a beautiful job of providing a slightly-religious but totally practical and inspirational interpretation. I wish we had gone with Rovan from the beginning and saved ourselves the hassle, but he gave us a wonderful, personal ceremony on just 3 days notice. I was impressed by his professionalism, flexibility, and compassion throughout.

Reviewed on 4/18/2016 Kelly Michele R

Rovan was recommended by our wedding planner--What a GREAT recommendation! Rovan took the time to get to know my husband and I prior to the wedding so that he could make our ceremony extra special and personal. He mentioned each of our paths in life and how we ended up... Read More together-it was absolutely wonderful! We also wanted our ceremony to be short and sweet and thats exactly what it was. I had guests coming up to me all night at the reception telling me how amazing my ceremony was because of Rovan. I highly recommend thoughtful weddings for your wedding!!!!

Reviewed on 1/15/2016 Shilpa V

We truly felt that the wedding was magical, and have heard that from so many of our guests. My husband is Greek Orthodox and I am the child of a Baptist and a Jain. The ceremony could have been dicey with a lot of hurt feelings, but both sets of our parents were so pleased with... Read More what Rev. Rovan worked with us to craft for our ceremony. They thought it was incredibly beautiful, and we cannot thank him enough! He helped us to create something that really brought our families together and solidified the bond that we have. He spent a great deal of time trying to understand us as individuals and a couple and what brought us together, as well as how to make our families comfortable. Everything came together in a really meaningful way, and we are so happy that we chose Rovan for our wedding!

Reviewed on 11/22/2015

Rovan was a excellent choice for our wedding officiant. Prior to the Wedding he took the time to get to know us as a couple and really understand who we are and what is important to us. His ceremony was heartfelt, touching, and professional. Having Rovan officiate our wedding... Read More was one of the best decisions we made. I highly recommend him for your ceremony.

Reviewed on 11/09/2015 Christie B

Rev. Rovan Wernsdorfer of Thoughtful Weddings was absolutely fantastic to work with! My husband and I booked an elopement package at our venue and we were asked what type of ceremony we wanted. When we replied a non-denominational one he assigned Rovan to us . We met up with... Read More him and he got to know us and from there customized the best ceremony for us. So much so that I saved the draft of our ceremony so that I would have it always. The day of he even told a story that day that "still has my tail wagging". Thank you so much truly!

Reviewed on 11/09/2015 Amy M

We hired Rovan because we wanted a non-religious ceremony. He was happy to make our wedding ceremony exactly the way we wanted it, without judgement. He listened carefully to our personal stories, and gave us a ceremony that was funny and heartfelt. He was very professional... Read More and did a fantastic job. A great officiant and a great guy!

Reviewed on 11/04/2015 Leighann P

We hired Rovan for what was supposed to be an outdoor ceremony in early October. Unfortunately we were hit with a rainstorm and had to move the ceremony to a small church nearby. Rovan was flexible through the entire process and delivered a beautiful, thoughtful ceremony that... Read More our families are still talking about. He understood our needs right away and managed to capture the essence of what we wanted in a ceremony very early on. Rovan is the right balance of professionalism and warmth, and his guidance (not just on the ceremony itself, but on many different aspects of marriage) was invaluable. I would recommend him to anyone!

Reviewed on 11/02/2015 Mairin L

My husband and I had a casual, non-denominational wedding in a state park in September 2015. We interviewed a few Officiates as we were looking for someone who could perform a ceremony that was not religious but would not offend my Catholic family. We chose Rovan for his... Read More religious knowledge and easy-going demeanor and we are glad we did! He wrote a beautiful ceremony that really fit us and incorporated a hand-fasting, that was also interesting, humorous, and brief enough for our guests. We are still receiving compliments about him and about our ceremony from our friends and family so we highly recommend him!

The Rev. Rovan Wernsdorfer

I am a seminary graduate who started as an Episcopal priest. Part of my degree was earned at Harvard Divinity School. I am currently licensed by Universal Ministries to perform marriages. I have been married to a woman and had two children. When I came out as a gay man in the 1970's my permission to function as an Episcopal priest was withdrawn. I was soon married to an African American man. Just before he died after 12 years, I adopted an African American son. I am the doting father of 3 children and 5 grandchildren, a large interracial family. I love helping others start new families