Union Station Grand Ballroom

Northampton, MA

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Hosting just one wedding at a time, the Union Station Grand Ballroom in Northampton, Massachusetts, gives undivided attention to each couple that chooses to use their venue for a reception. The bride and groom are paired with a wedding coordinator, who assists with every detail of planning the event, including working with any outside vendors you choose to do business with. Photographers love the 100-year-old building, which provides a unique backdrop to first-look photographs.

The Grand Ballroom. With 20-foot high ceilings and a mantled fireplace that is well-suited for evenings, guests are sure to be impressed. There's 2,800 square feet of space to make use of, which comfortably holds approximately 160 friends and family members for a reception that won't soon be forgotten. The room also features a built-in dance floor that measures 16 feet by 18.5 feet.

The Lounge. This space is used for intimate get-togethers, as well as a spot for guests to break away and mingle. It seats between 25 and 50 guests at any given time.

There are three wedding packages available at the Union Station Grand Ballroom. Whether you select the silver, gold or platinum, you get the use of the facilities 60-inch round tables that seat eight, floor-length linens that come in either white or ivory and napkins in a color that matches your theme. Also included in each package are fresh floral displays for using as centerpieces on the tables, a champagne toast to the bride and groom and a three-course plated dinner.

The Union Station Grand Ballroom has a professional catering staff that is second to none. Couples and four other members in their family are welcome to organize a food tasting. A few hors d'oeuvres you may sample include assorted petite quiche, coconut shrimp with mango salsa and chicken tenders with a honey chipotle sauce. There are plenty of entrees to pick from, like braised beef short ribs, blackened chicken and saffron poached salmon. The banquet chefs put fruit, vegetable and cheese trays in the lounge in the event that guests want to break away from the crowd. If you require a vegetarian menu, one can be provided.

One of the biggest extra perks at this facility is the bridal party hospitality suite. The room itself is spacious and the caterers stock it with a fruit and cheese tray and plenty of non-alcoholic beverages. Ladies can freshen up, take a few minutes to chat or simply snack before the first dance starts. Another perk is the Tunnel Bar, which actually connects to the historic train station. Once the reception is over, those who wish to continue celebrating need only walk through the tunnel. Other amenities include:

• Private parking lot
  • Valet parking for a fee
  • Handicap accessible
  • Liability insurance

Union Station Grand Ballroom

Located in Downtown Northampton's Century-old Train Station. We've renovated the area's newest and most elegant banquet facility... but our building has been here for over 100 years. Host your event in beautiful downtown Northampton and be a part of all the action in town. Perfect for all events!

Ballroom, Historic Venue

125 Pleasant Street, Northampton, MA (413) 341-3161

Reviewed on 11/07/2016 Vanessa R

All I can say is WOW. My husband and I chose Union Station for 2 reasons when we were researching wedding venues. 1) the character of the room 2) the staff. I met Steve when we were looking for a place to have our wedding. He was so knowledgeable, not pushy at all, very relaxed,... Read More and genuinely cared about our wants and needs for our big day. Steve was so responsive throughout the process and offered his expertise and advice when asked. He answered all of our questions, most times in less than 24 hours. The day before the wedding, he and Alice were there as staple pieces to guide us through everything. Now of course we were strangers before this, but the day before he wedding when I was dropping off finishing touches, he opened his arms and I flew into them. They both were so warm and sincerely cared about the day. The day before the wedding, Steve even scheduled us with a photobooth company because we had waited until the last minute. We had a dedicated server, Corey, who was excellent from the moment we arrived to the last minute making sure my husband and I had everything we needed. All of our guests raved about the food and the service. All in all it was the PERFECT evening. Everyone was congratulating me on organizing such a wonderful event, but it was Union Station, their staff, and their carefully selected vendors that made the day. Thank you so much Union Station, I will replay this night for the rest of my life. Thank you for making it perfect!

Reviewed on 9/13/2016 Erica G

We were torn between Union Station and another nearby, well-known wedding venue, and we are so glad we went with Union Station. First of all, it's been beautifully restored. It is simple and clean, and has a wonderful, historic feel to it. Second of all, the event coordinator is... Read More a true professional with a great deal of experience. He was helpful, informative, and responsive, and we never felt like we were being sold-to. I attribute much of the day's success to him. Once decided, planning the actual wedding details was really easy, again, thanks to their coordinator's experience. They held a group tasting, and we got to taste everything! He also made time to meet with us a few weeks before the wedding to help us figure out how the day should flow (we had both our ceremony and reception in their ballroom), and worked with all of our other vendors to coordinate deliveries, etc. Anytime I had a question, he responded quickly. The day of, he was there to make sure everything went according to plan. The food was amazing, the wait staff were friendly and helpful, and everything went smoothly. It was the best day in a beautiful setting, and we couldn't be happier with our choice.

Reviewed on 9/07/2016 Kaitlin M

We had our rehearsal dinner at Union Station and it was fantastic. Steve was truly amazing during our planning process and went above and beyond for our event. The food was excellent, the dining room tasteful and appropriate for our dinner of 25 people, and the flexibility... Read More with personal touches was appreciated. In addition to our dinner, we had our guests meet us at Tunnel Bar and Platform Bar for a Meet & Greet. Our guests enjoyed seeing the space and visiting the Tunnel Bar (many who were from out of town). Thank you, Steve & Team, for making it a great evening!

Reviewed on 8/02/2016 Lindsay D

We couldn't have asked for a better wedding day. Steve, Alice and the entire staff at Union Station were wonderful and took care of everything. We had a Gastby Glam theme for our wedding which was perfect in the vintage train station setting and the Tunnel Bar. We thought we had... Read More an idea of how great it would look, but on the big day the staff and venue exceeded our expectations and it truly looked, felt and was better than we had imagined. Steve was wonderful and very accessible throughout the year of our wedding plans. He helped everything be an easy decision while providing great advice. The food was amazing, the staff was friendly and all of our guests felt taken care of. When you see the venue, it speaks for itself and we were able to make a wedding package with 110 guests be very reasonable for our budget compared to other area venues. I can't say enough about how happy we were with our experience. Thank you, Union Station!

Reviewed on 4/18/2016 Jamie F

Perfect day! We got married here, & it was a dream come true! We had a train theme which everyone loved, the venue was gorgeous, & Desiree & Megan were a delight to deal with! They were onsite ensuring everything was perfect which it was! We even saved by getting married on a... Read More Friday.

Reviewed on 2/07/2016 Maria W

I feel so lucky we found Union Station, and were able to get the date we wanted for our special day. If you are looking to have your reception some place different than your typical hall, than this is it! Steve was awesome to work with, and answered all of my questions and... Read More concerns in a timely manner. I planned my entire wedding out of state, and Steve completely put my mind at ease, and I didn't have to worry about a thing. He mailed me all of the info including linen samples, and was willing to work with my mother and mother-in-law who live in the area. I came into town briefly, and Steve made sure I was able to squeeze in a food tasting. The food there is incredible! Anyone can make a tasting for 6 people good, but the real test is serving 125+. All our guests raved about their meals and service. The food was delicious, hot, and no one waited for food once we were done with our first dance. Our server was very attentive, and we never were without food or a drink. The bar is larger than most others I've seen, and our guests never had to wait for a drink (we did have open bar, so it was quite busy)! What I liked best, is it is pretty much a one stop shop with their wedding packages. I didn't have to worry about finding vendors for the center pieces, cake, linens, etc. This was so beneficial especially being an out of town bride. I did have two additional vendors for a candy bar and photo booth, and Steve made sure everyone had access to the venue to be able to set up prior. Another bonus is you will be the only wedding there, and not have to share the venue unlike other places. I cannot say enough good things about Union Station, and would definitely recommend!

Beautiful Winter Wedding

Reviewed on 1/08/2015 Lindsay R

My husband and I just had our reception at Union Station in December. First and foremost, the people we worked with at the venue were extremely easy to work with. They were quick to respond to requests, and helped us with planning all along the way. On the day of the wedding,... Read More the room looked more beautiful than I could have imagined. The feel of the ballroom is so warm and inviting, and goes with any style. The service was exceptional. All of my guests had nothing but great things to say about their servers, and the service they received throughout the entire day. As for my husband and I, we were extremely pleased ourselves! The staff went above and beyond to make everyone happy. As for the food, we decided to go a tad bit extravagant with a surf and turf dinner including filet mignon and lobster tails. I must say, I wasn't sure how this was going to go - but the chef and his staff did an incredible job! The surf and turf was a HUGE hit, as well as the other two entrées we offered. All of the food was amazing and there was not one complaint! The last thing I want to note is the location of the venue. Our wedding ended at 10:00, and not everyone wanted to go home yet. (Including us!) Union Station has two other bars on site, which meant we could continue the night without even having to leave the building! We spent a few more hours with our family and friends and it was perfect! Overall, I couldn't have imagined a better day - and our guests are still talking about what a great time they had!