University Club of Grand Rapids

Ballroom

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

111 Lyon NW, Grand Rapids, MI (616) 456-8623

Reviewed on 12/10/2016 Sara S

Beautiful venue and very accommodating, responsive management. The reception turned out wonderfully. Parking was included which is key for a downtown location. The food (especially the beef!) was delicious! Highly recommended! There are some reviews that talk about added costs... Read More in the end but they were very upfront with us and we had no surprises.

Reviewed on 9/12/2016 Kellee F

All of our guests could not stop talking about how beautiful the venue was and how great the food tasted. The servers made me and my husband feel so special and even after my father in law’s speech ran wayyyy too long, they made sure the schedule went according to plan. This is... Read More due in large part to the coordinators Katie and Leslie, both of who were absolutely amazing during the entire planning process. They were responsive to my calls and emails and incredibly flexible when some things had to be changed last minute. I am so grateful to them and the rest of the university club for being so accommodating to us and making the reception so perfect. I would definitely recommend the university club to anyone getting married who wants to have the best party ever!

The full package!

Reviewed on 10/31/2015 Melinda H

The views are astounding, the venue itself is super classy. Beautiful chandelier from the '20's when you walk in. We had SO many comments on how smooth everything went, which was in no small part due to Katie and her attention to detail. The food was amazing and again, all the... Read More guests were so impressed by the quality of dinner. I LOVED this venue.

Beautiful Venue, Amazing Food, Great Service

Reviewed on 8/11/2015 Maura F

The University Club was the perfect venue for us as I wanted more of a loft style and my husband wanted more of a ballroom. The room looks like a beautiful, traditional ballroom, but with the floor-to-ceiling windows on the 10th floor, you get a beautiful city view that is... Read More reminiscent of a loft. We had about 180 guests, and the food (we did a combo surf and turf plate) was hot, delicious, and a great value. Our guests are still raving about the food and service they received. Katie, the coordinator, was amazingly helpful throughout the wedding planning. I e-mailed her multiple times, and she would always respond within a day--if not within a couple of hours. There is no room rental charge, which is unheard of in downtown GR, and parking for guests is included. I highly recommend this location!

Reviewed on 6/26/2015 Angelina S

I was very pleased with this venue. It's a great location for a downtown wedding with free parking. It has beautiful views and it was fun to be a member for the year. They took care of everything for the day of and it was very beautiful. They had many servers working that... Read More night and it all went smoothly. They were helpful in taking care of details and even made special Italian bread per our request.

Beautiful Winter Wedding

Reviewed on 2/02/2015

The University Club is TOP NOTCH!! As the mother of the Bride I would like to share our great experience! From start to finish we always felt we were a top priority! The Bride and Groom wanted their wedding downtown GR. After visiting quite a few venues they decided on the... Read More UClub. The UClub had so much to offer. Most importantly everything was done in house. The food was wonderful and the pastry chef did an amazing job on the cake and cookies! The linens are all provided. The parking is free! The UClub offers a beautiful venue with a wonderful view of the city. And it is close to the downtown GR hotels. December 27, 2014 will never be forgotten thanks to Katie and the UClub staff:)

Be Careful...

Reviewed on 10/30/2013 Leah T

After much research and careful planning, my husband and I chose to have our reception at the University Club of Grand Rapids. The club is beautiful and the food is great. Unfortunately we experienced significant lapses in communication that resulted in a shocking surprise -... Read More the final cost was well over what was originally projected. We felt very mislead and deceived as our budget had been discussed several times at various meetings leading up to the event. Because of this I cannot in good faith recommend this venue and would strongly encourage you to look elsewhere.

Beautiful Location

Reviewed on 6/19/2013 Paige W

I couldn't have been happier with the University Club as my reception location. They were great to work with and made everything so easy for me! The view from the windows was the perfect backdrop for an elegant wedding and exactly what we wanted. I would highly recommend them!

Excellent service, wonderful wedding venue!

Reviewed on 6/10/2013 Jessica E

I don't even know where to start with the University Club. Their service was top of the line; they were on top of keeping our guests satisfied all night long. We had 220 guests, with the thought we might have up to 300. Parking is free at the University Club, and it overlooks... Read More Calder Plaza downtown GR, which is GORGEOUS! The venue felt very "homey" and was absolutely perfect. The event coordinator, Katie, was so incredibly helpful in the planning process, and did a great job keeping everything organized the day of. She was excellent at communicating with me and responding to emails, which was so nice! People told us the food at our reception was the best they'd ever had at a wedding! It was nice to know that our guests were taken care of, and I didn't have to worry about a thing. That is worth more than money could ever buy! Several of their employees came up to me throughout the night and asked me if I needed anything else; one even came to find me later in the night to ask if I wanted another drink. I was treated like royalty, and I know all the other guests were too. The University Club isn't a really "popular" venue in Grand Rapids, but I cannot figure out why. The prices were very reasonable, and the free parking was something we didn't find anywhere else downtown. I will forever recommend University Club as a wedding venue to anyone and everyone!

University Club of GR = Great Reception Location

Reviewed on 5/29/2012 Andrea M

I really enjoyed having my reception here. From a planning standpoint, everything was a breeze: Katie, the event planner had her wedding reception at the club herself and is very helpful. The atmosphere was great. The food was great. The only downside was the price.

great location

Reviewed on 11/01/2010 Jessica L S

If you want to wow out-of-town guests, this is the place! Great service!

Fabulous Downtown GR Venue

Reviewed on 10/05/2010 Katie B

The UClub was the perfect place for my reception. Not only does it have unmatched views of downtown Grand Rapids from the 10th floor, the staff and their service was beyond belief. I had guests tell me they were treated like royalty and had the best service they have ever had at... Read More a wedding! The pricing for a downtown venue was amazing... no room charge, free parking in an attached lot, no set up fees or teardown fees. And we basically got a wedding coordinator for free. We didn't have to do a single thing at the reception, they did everything! They hold up to 300 people, we had about 215 but it still filled up the room. They seem to be able to make whatever size group work!