Cuisine

American, Eastern European, French, Greek, Indian, Italian, Latin American, Middle Eastern, Fusion, Seafood

Dietary Options

Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian

Buffet, Catering Delivery + Setup, Chef Stations, Family Style, Menu Tastings, Passed Appetizers, Seated Meal, Servers, Food + Catering, Service Staff

1617 N. Stoughton Rd., Madison, WI

Reviewed on 11/11/2016 Alec J

Our entire experience with Upstairs Downstairs was great! Dan was incredibly helpful and accommodating during our tasting and consultation, which was low-pressure. The recommendations for the amount of food and drink were spot-on. We had a wedding in a barn just over an hour... Read More outside of Madison for 110 guests. Our filets were done perfectly and several guests commented that they were the best steaks they had eaten- ever! Our other main was the Wisconsin chicken which was moist, flavorful, and again, everyone loved it! Our guests also couldn’t believe that everything was made off-site. People kept asking where we had a kitchen set up because the food was so great! We had multiple guests say that the food was the best that they had ever had at a wedding. The service was also great. The wait-staff moved throughout the barn as though it were a restaurant that they were very familiar with or worked at every night. On top of that, guests were met with very helpful service when they needed more water or additional food. We did an open bar throughout the evening. We sourced our own wine and beer and Upstairs Downstairs provided all of the hard alcohol and garnishes. The bartenders provided prompt service, mixed great drinks, and were very friendly to our guests. I would liken the level of service and friendliness to that of a bar where you’re a regular and the bartenders know you by name. I highly recommend using Upstairs Downstairs for a wedding and I hope to see them in the future at my friends' weddings! A big thank-you to Dan and the crew!

2016-11-11T13:08:58 Response from the vendor

Thank You! It was our Pleasure! Best to you both in the Future! All of Us at UpStairs DownStairs!

Reviewed on 11/07/2016 M N

These guys were the best, 5 stars in every way. We had a small wedding at our home, and they still treated it like a big important event -- super accommodating, went above & beyond to offer great options. Affordable, flexible, food was wonderful, service staff at the event... Read More were great: chill, eager to help, friendly but very much in the background. Cannot say enough good things about this company!

2016-11-11T08:22:42 Response from the vendor

Thank You!I was our pleasure! Best to you both in the future! All of us @ UpStairs DownStairs

Reviewed on 4/07/2016 Lauren M

I can not recommend Upstairs Downstairs enough! My father and family have a catering business in the Chicagoland area, so we had high expectations when trusting a catering company to take care of our wedding. From planning to execution, everything was flawless! Everyone you... Read More work with (Dan, Rick, Kim, etc.) are incredibly attentive and passionate about what they do. You can tell they really care about you and your special day. Not to mention the food is AMAZING! My guests are still talking about it!! :)

Reviewed on 11/19/2016 Meghan M

Our experience with Upstairs Downstairs Catering was awesome from start to finish. They were the first company we set up a tasting with, and we knew immediately that we wanted to work with them. Dan and his team were extremely helpful and accommodating throughout the process.... Read More We decided to do a buffet style dinner with 3 entrees , and our guests raved about how good the skewered tenderloins, pulled pork, and asparagus stuffed chicken were. The mini cheesecakes for dessert were really good too. We bought all of our own booze, and Upstairs Downstairs provided us with a really great bartender. Their prices for everything were very reasonable, and we could not have been happier with the quality of their food and service.

Reviewed on 11/13/2016 Chris K

We were very pleased with Upstairs Downstairs catering. First thing the food was amazing! Everyone at the wedding was talking about how good the food was. There was plenty of food to go around. The staff was very professional and friendly. Dan was great to work with! He... Read More replied fast to emails, was available to meet, and was very helpful! I can't say enough good things about Upstairs Downstairs. Next time we need something catered we definitely will use them again!!! Chris Haug

Reviewed on 11/11/2016 Alexis A

Dan did such an amazing job catering our wedding. We received so many compliments on the cocktail appetizers and family style dinner we served. The price was incredibly reasonable and the serving staff was very professional. All the food was served beautifully and in a very... Read More timely manner. Couldn't have been more pleased, and would definitely recommend Upstairs Downstairs for any event

2016-11-11T08:22:34 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 9/23/2016 Magda B

We highly recommend Upstairs Downstairs Catering to anyone looking to cater any type of event. From start to finish they were organized, professional and thorough. Their food was delicious and staff very accommodating and friendly. You won't be disappointed. Thank you to Dan,... Read More Rick, Phil and staff! You helped make our day perfect!

Reviewed on 9/08/2016 Kalli S

Upstairs Downstairs were very accommodating and helpful to work with. Figuring out how to feed everyone at a wedding can be stressful but Dan and his employees made it very easy! The people doing the catering at the wedding were sure to introduce themselves and get us anything... Read More we needed, they even had appetizers from the cocktail hour waiting at the head table when we got to dinner. Their food looks and tastes great and we would definitely use them again for future catering needs!

2016-11-11T08:23:03 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 8/24/2016 Kelsey W

Dan Brown and his team were absolutely amazing to work with. Dan was flexible and accommodating, allowing us to make changes and willing to go above and beyond to give my husband and I the best day on our wedding day. He was willing to assist us in any way to make our lives and... Read More our vendors' lives easier. The food was also TERRIFIC with huge portions and well orchestrated display/delivery of each plate for our guests. They also provided bar tending services and were very flexible letting us bring some of the liquor and having them provide some alcohol, as well--a rare negotiation I don't think you would find with many other catering companies. The prices were very reasonable especially with all the extra work UpDown's team did for us. My husband and I looked into a handful of other catering companies but no one won over our trust like Dan! No matter how fancy or casual your wedding is, no matter what your budget is, Dan Brown and Upstairs Downstairs Catering should be your #1 pick!

2016-11-11T08:23:11 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 8/17/2016 Jessi P

We ordered our cake and cupcakes for our wedding through Upstairs Downstairs and they were absolutely amazing! We got so many compliments on the cupcakes and people thought they were delicious! They were perfectly moist and the presentation was great. And the baker was so... Read More accommodating when it came to selecting flavors. She literally said to pick whatever flavors we wanted and they would make it work - and they did!! They brought plates, napkins, and silverware for no extra charge, which was really nice. We also had a tasting with Upstairs Downstairs for the dinner food, and every dish that we had was so yummy! Out of all the places we had tastings at, we enjoyed their food the most. However due to a tight budget, we ended up having to go with a cheaper caterer. But I would highly recommend them for catering and cupcakes!! You will not be disappointed in the food! Dan and the rest of the staff was such a pleasure to work with. He was so helpful and answered all of my questions in a timely manner. He made the planning process so easy. You can't go wrong with Upstairs Downstairs!! :)

2016-11-11T08:23:22 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 6/19/2016 Kayla R

Upstairs Downstairs Catering was amazing to work with. The food was delicious, the service was perfect! Everyone was so nice and easy to work with. Our guests absolutely loved the food! No complaints, all compliments!!

2016-11-11T08:23:41 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 6/14/2016

From the moment we first contacted Upstairs Downstairs Catering to our wedding itself, working with this company was an absolutely fantastic experience. If I could give them 10 stars, I would. Dan Brown was our main contact, and he was phenomenal! No matter what, he was always... Read More super friendly and helpful. Plus he was consistently quick to respond to all our emails or phone calls. For the wedding itself, our guests raved about the food and the service! Not only are their prices very reasonable, but their service and work ethic was exceptional! We couldn't have asked for a more perfect catering experience. Thanks Upstairs Downstairs!

2016-11-11T08:23:47 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 6/11/2016 Stephani B

Upstairs Downstairs was wonderful to work with! Everything went without a hitch. They started getting our passed hors d'oeuvres out during the receiving line and our guests were so impressed and happy that they got food while they were waiting in the long line (we had a rather... Read More large wedding, the receiving line took almost an hour) The food was all so delicious! We came up with our own beef option and they executed it perfectly. The service staff was wonderful. The bartenders knew their stuff and were attentive and knowledgeable. I would definitely use UpDown again!

2016-06-11T14:20:01 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 6/09/2016 Lauren K

Going into our big day we didn't care very much about food and cared more about the day in general...that is until we met with Dan at Upstairs Downstairs Catering. He was accommodating with everything we threw at him and was really easy to deal with. The staff on site the day of... Read More our event was fantastic as well. They are one of the best priced places we looked at but you would have never guessed based on the food they served us for our wedding. We had a duet plate with the Filet of Tenderloin and the Bacon and Gorgonzola stuffed chicken. The week before we decided we wanted cannoli cupcakes and when my wife went to do a tasting he has 6 different combinations waiting for her. We had 200 people at our wedding and everyone I talked to raved about the food. I work in the food and beverage world and manage banquets and I would highly recommend them to anyone for any kind of event.

2016-06-11T14:19:16 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 6/06/2016 Amy S

There are no words to express our happiness in choosing Upstairs Downstairs to cater our wedding. From the minute we met Dan, we felt as though we were in good hands. He listened to us, answered all of our questions, told a lot of funny stories, and above all the food was... Read More amazing. Dan answered every question we had along the way, answering our emails usually within a day. The staff on the day of the event were extremely professional and it's not often that wedding guests rave about the quality of the food long after the cake has been served. I would recommend Upstairs Downstairs Catering to anyone and if the need ever arises, will use them again, hands down.

2016-06-11T14:18:32 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 5/31/2016 Kate V

Upstairs Downstairs was absolutely fantastic. From the initial meeting with them, to the tasting, to the actual event, they were great to work with. Everything went smoothly, we had tons of compliments on the food, the staff was so great, helpful and fun. Thanks!

Reviewed on 4/13/2016 Emily O

Dan Brown and his crew from Up/Down Catering were amazing. To prep for the big day, Dan met with us multiple times to taste-test various appetizers and main courses to ensure we picked food we were excited about. The biggest complements I received about my wedding were... Read More food-related. Absolutely everything was delicious! I even froze a few meals, and even defrosted a few weeks later, the flavors still melted in my mouth. And the portions were huge. I didn't have to worry about catering for one moment the entire wedding. Dan and his team are top-notch and I highly recommend them.

Reviewed on 4/11/2016 Shannon W

Everything from the customer service to the food was incredible. I am SO happy that we went with Upstairs Downstairs for our caterer. They were so accommodating when we selected our food and did not limit how many plated meal options we could select. The day of our wedding went... Read More flawlessly. Not only were they on time and completely prepared but the food was sooo good. I heard from numerous guests that it was the best food they ever had a wedding. We selected four meal options and people loved every single one of them. The appetizers were really good too! Having them cater was definitely one of the best decisions I made.

Could not have found a better caterer!

Reviewed on 11/08/2015 Kathryn E

I can't say enough positive things about Upstairs Downstairs! here are just a few of the highlights: - the food was REALLY good! Even my grandma, who hardly eats (or likes) anything, had seconds. - The staff was really great during the wedding! They took great care of... Read More my guests and great care of me. One staff member even helped me fix my veil before I walked down the aisle. It was really nice to work with a vendor whose staff really care about making the event a good experience. - the flowers on the salads were a great touch and got rave reviews! Several of my guests and my photographer ended up wearing them all evening long. - Food allergies were a concern for several of our guests, but thanks to the great staff it was not a concern for our menu. Everyone was able to eat safely and it all tasted great. I HIGHLY recommend Upstairs Downstairs. They played a big part in making our wedding amazing!

Reviewed on 9/21/2015 Amanda P

I am still getting compliments about the food at our 9/5/15 wedding. I cannot believe what quality food they provided. We got beef brisket, mac and cheese, WI chicken, corn on the cob, mini brats, broccoli and peppers. The beef brisket was delicious- everything was even better... Read More than the tasting. I cannot believe the quality for such a reasonable price. I worked with Megan at first, who was great. But then we worked directly with Dan, who was maybe the nicest wedding vendor that I worked with- he was so accommodating with our count change up until 48 hours before the event. He even took care of our vendors. At the wedding, the staff was unreal- they were constantly checking in with us- making sure everything was great. They packed up all the food, sliced all the pies, and provided all the bar fruit, mixers and apps. Oh, and the bartenders were awesome. They poured great drinks and everyone was telling me how funny and nice they were. They also helped us pack up, which they were not required to do. We made sure to take care of them at the end. I could not be happier with the food and service at my wedding. Thank you!

Reviewed on 9/18/2015 Sarah E

I loved Upstairs Downstairs! First off their food is amazing, and secondly they really know what they are doing and everyone you work with is so accommodating and helpful. Everyone commented all night how much they really loved the food. They also really let you personalize it... Read More to what you would like to have. We ended up having a few people with food allergies and a couple vegetarian meals, and they were completely fine with that. They even made a separate meal for them. They even cut my grandmother's meat for her, so she could eat easily with her one good hand. I mean all that stuff wasn't my idea either, it was totally Dan's idea. He was so great to work with. They also were totally fine with us bringing our own booze and them just providing the bartender. It really helped us save some money, and plus since we're beer snobs it really gave us the freedom to tailor it to what we liked. I really can't recommend them enough! They really made our day special.

Reviewed on 9/15/2015

We worked with Upstairs/Downstairs for our Blue Mounds, WI wedding on 8/15/15. These guys were unbelievable every step of the way for us. Meeting with them for our initial consultation was the best- we did a testing with Dan which felt like a date for the two of us with an... Read More incredibly fun and helpful third wheel (Dan). He answered all of our questions, and answered things for us we didn’t think to ask. He asked us lots of questions about what we wanted for our wedding, and was able to point us in the direction of what he thought would work best for us/our budget/our venue. As a company they were incredibly responsive by email, had a very straightforward contract, and were incredibly reasonable in pricing for the outstanding quality of the service and food they provided. The day of our wedding, U/D were amazing. They showed up on time, set up quickly, kept things moving, and served up the most amazing food. One of the things we served was tenderloin, which was hot and very nicely cooked despite our venue being over 30 miles away from their home base. Their plated salads were gorgeous, colorful, and delicious. Their staff members were our favorite- from the bartender to the servers everybody was polite, efficient, and seemed excited to be there with us. We loved interacting with them throughout the day, and we heard lots of great feedback from guests about both the food and the friendly staff. We were so thrilled to have worked with U/D Catering, and we give them our highest recommendation them for Wisconsin events.

Incredibly flexible and accomodating

Reviewed on 9/13/2015 Abby S

We were incredibly impressed with the flexibility that Upstairs Downstairs provided. They were happy to serve with another caterer onsite. They put out potluck style desserts made by our family and guests. They provided (free of charge) plates, cups and cutlery for desserts and... Read More alcohol that we bought/made. They provided to-go containers to pack up the food. And they came by the next day (free of charge) to pick up linens, coolers, etc that we weren't ready to part with on the evening of the wedding. The staff onsite was also great - nice, warm and competent. They kept things running very smoothly and were very nice despite having to serve in very hot weather.

Large Portions, Competitive Pricing, Delicious Flavors

Reviewed on 7/27/2015 Laura T

I can't say enough good things about Upstairs Downstairs Catering. We worked with both Megan and Dan throughout the process. Both of them were very thorough and easy to work with. On the day of our wedding, they provided us with consistently hot and delicious food. Numerous... Read More guests talked to us about how good the food was. We had the beef tenderloin, prosciutto chicken and lemon baked cod. We heard great things about each. We had a few guests not show, so I asked the server to bring me two different entrees. He made sure that I had the full size portion of each of the two entrees and sides on my plate. The portion sizes were huge! This was good and bad: good for the really hungry guests, but bad that a lot of food was wasted. Compared to a couple other caterers in the area, Upstairs Downstairs Catering was really well priced for what we got. They did not charge us for bringing in our own cupcakes or s'more ingredients for our bonfire. They also did not charge a corkage fee. Our venue required us to have a fully hosted bar, so we chose to provide our own beer, wine and soda and pay to have bartenders on site from the caterers. We purchased our alcohol from a liquor store that allowed us to bring back any unopened bottles. The bartender we had was great! She made sure not to open any bottles until they were needed. Our bartender also took care of our special bride and groom champagne glasses when I absent-mindedly left them on the table. Later in the evening when I had a blister from my shoes, one of the servers dug through her purse to find me an extra bandaid. Phil seemed to be the head server that night and he did a great job keeping the meal flowing at just the right pace. I would highly recommend Upstairs Downstairs Catering to anyone. They truly went above and beyond my expectations. Their food and service was the highlight of our wedding. Thank you for all you did to make our day extra special!

Wonderful Caterer!

Reviewed on 10/29/2014 Patrick S

We had a fabulous experience with Upstairs Downstairs. Megan is on top of everything and the whole event ran smoothly because of her - and the food was wonderful! From the first meeting, we could tell that we could trust her because of how prepared she was (we had thought we... Read More were prepared for the meeting and Megan asked us a handful of questions that never would have occurred to us). We had a few odd requests and non-traditional aspects to our food and they accommodated all of them. All of the costs were laid out up front and they have many options to work within varying budgets. On the wedding day we had butler passed hors d'oeuvres and a server made sure to stop by us first, so we were able to try each of them, which we really appreciated. The whole dinner and dessert ran smoothly thanks to Megan and Upstairs Downstairs (not to us as we were totally scatterbrained). We have had many complements on the food. Lastly, we were in a unique position in that 2 months before our wedding we attended a wedding that had also used Upstairs Downstairs as their caterer. Not only did we enjoy the food at that event as well, but Megan also made a point to stop by, say hello, and to ask us how are own planning was going. We highly recommend!

Start a Conversation!