Waters Edge

Ballroom, Waterfront, Cruise, Restaurant

Bar + Drinks, Food + Catering, Service Staff

401 44th Drive, Long Island City, NY

Reviewed on 8/17/2015

For disclosure, I am posting this on behalf of my wife on several wedding sites, so that people can be warned about Water's Edge, and can get a sense of the great disappointment we had on our wedding day due to their lack of professionalism. A wedding on a hot summer day... Read More shouldn't lead to disaster, but Water's Edge mispresented the capabilities of their facility and their operations to handle such a situation. We were seduced by the beautiful view and expected a comparable level of service, but Water's Edge did not live up that to that expectation. The venue has a problem with untrained staff and poorly maintained infrastructure. For anything out of the ordinary then you'd need to seriously think about whether they can handle it. On our wedding day granted it was hot, the outside temperature in the mid 90's -- but this is something you would expect the venue to be able to handle! Summer days in the 90s are not unusual. But Water's Edge didn't turn on the A/C until a little before the time the guests arrived. And it's not even that the A/C broke, Water's Edge said it was working at full power the whole time. But at their best they couldn't step up to resolve the problem. The staff kept saying they were working on it but we didn't see any real results. The rooms never got cool, and our guests were sweating profusely throughout both the ceremony and reception. Water's Edge even said they diverted all the A/C air to the main dining room, but as a result the bridal room and hallways were unbearable; and as the day proceeded, even the maitre d' asked, Why is the temperature still going up? Our friends tried to comfort my wife while I saw them sweating through their shirts, and our parents and elders sat unprotected in the direct heat. I sweated completely through an expensive traditional outfit, and my wife's professor told her "I am melting." The staff didn't even bring out fans until my sister-in-law kept pushing them, and our guests who were right by the window were sweltering in the direct sunlight for at least an hour before once again my sister-in-law pushed the staff to bring out screens to shade the tables. So I think Water's Edge is basically saying this is what you will get. They aren't going to make the capital investments to have extra A/C power, and they're not going to turn on the A/C a few hours early to save on electric bills, and they're not going to have curtains to block the sun. There were other hints, like the fact that the elevator was balky both times we went to visit, and there were other online postings about roaches underneath the table in the restaurant. Granted that the restaurant and the event hosting are handled by different people, but they both represent the Water's Edge brand, and are part of the same corporate Singh Hospitality Group entity. And our dealings with the corporate team afterwards were disappointing as well, to say the least.

Perfect Wedding Reception!

Reviewed on 11/18/2014 Meghan D

We Chose the Water's Edge in Long Island City for our wedding reception, Saturday 11-1-2014. The venue was simply amazing. We used the restaurant for the cocktail hour and hall upstairs for the reception. The staff was amazing! I loved through the planning process that someone... Read More always answered the phone on the first ring. We dropped off our extras for decorating several days before the big day and they took care of everything, even folded our place cards on the day of! The venue is expensive, but you get what you paid for and I didn't have to worry about a thing, which was worth every penny! The service was top notch during the party. My guests were so impressed with the cocktail hour that some though that was the reception! The bar was excellent (shout out to our main man head bartender Scott!). I loved that were were able to have a menu so our guests could choose there meal the day of. Also, each table had it's own server so everyone was well attended to and everyone was served their meals at the same time! Couldn't be happier with how everything went! It was a beautiful place and a wedding done right!

Nice view that's about it

Reviewed on 9/17/2014

I was going to have my wedding here but thank goodness I didn't. I was given a few dates to pick from and the day I picked was fine with them, no problems. I got a phone call a week later saying someone forgot to enter a 250 person event that same day my wedding was supposed to... Read More be on. I was ready to mail them a big check but instead was told I had to change my date or have my party at the bar. All they offered was to pay for my savethedate cards since I already ordered them with that specific date. If they forgot to enter a party that big into their computer what else are they going to forget. Not sure if they really forgot or if it just took priority over my wedding since my wedding is a lot smaller. The view is great the food is good unless they have a lot of people to serve. I ate here twice once was fine but the next time not so much. Our waiter had a 10 person party to tend to and our food was not only cold but the steak basically came out mooing. After this I will never go there again.

Amazing wedding! Highly Recommend!

Reviewed on 7/02/2014 Gianna A

What a wonderful wedding we had! We had invited over 200 people to our wedding, and everything came out perfectly. My husband and I met Kathy when we first booked our date for June 22, 2014. My husband is a foodie, and wanted to make sure that the food was excellent—he was not... Read More let down. We went to several tastings thanks to Kathy, and we were pleased every time. After the wedding, people were calling us and telling us what a great time they had and how excellent the food was. Scott (the bartender) made sure that everyone always had a full glass. The highlight of our night was the bridal attendant, Mildred. She always made sure that I was comfortable: she helped bustle my dress, made sure we were well fed, and she even fanned me when I was sweating from dancing. Overall, we highly recommend this hall. The food was stellar, the view was spectacular, and the service was remarkable. After the wedding, people were calling us and telling us what a good time they had, what great pictures they got with the view, and how excellent their food was. Our day went perfectly, and Waters Edge largely attributed to that.

We loved it!

Reviewed on 8/15/2013 Tara P

We loved everything at the waters edge! The food was great, they really worked with us throughout the process to make sure we were getting exactly what we wanted, and they were so helpful! My experience was that they cost comparatively less because they are located in... Read More Queens, but they certainly aren't inexpensive...but they take care of everything included in the price, which took so much stress off of us. The day of, between the maitre d and the bridal attendant we didnt have to worry about a thing! My husband even got rust on his tux (somehow...) and they were able to get it off without even a second thought. What I think really makes this venue stand out is that EVERYONE that came to the wedding talked about the view. And the pictures came out fantastic. Highly recommend Waters Edge.

Reception

Reviewed on 6/20/2013 Ashley S

They were absolutely amazing! The food was even better the night of the reception then it was at the tasting! The service was excellent, my maitre d and bridal attendant took care of everything, me and my new hub really got to enjoy the night! I wish we could get married there... Read More again1

Best Wedding

Reviewed on 12/12/2012 Lauren B

I got married here on November 24th of 2012 and it was the best night of mine and my husbands life. Waters edge did a fantastic job in getting our vision right!!

If you want the best read on...

Reviewed on 10/27/2012 angela r

When the Water's Edge NY touts "The only thing we overlook is Manhattan", they are to be taken literally. We had our wedding there in October and it was glamorous, elegant and terrific fun...what made it so? Impeccable service-starting with the Wedding Banquet staff (thank you... Read More Daniella & Kathy!) who made planning easy and enjoyable-by the way, they truly aim to please - Kathy went out of her way to ensure we had all that we desired! The chef and his staff who quite frankly, exceeded our high expectations-every course was cooked perfectly, delicious and looked like a picture! Ok, service - every server and staff member was courteous and efficient - tables served, cleared and quests needs taken care of -ALL extremely friendly & professional. A thank you to our Maitre D Paul, who i felt was my "right arm" for the entire night, our head waiter who keeps his staff fine tuned and on point. The bartenders, lead by Scott - keeps the drinks full & makes sure every bar operates perfectly. My bridal attendant Mildred, who clearly knows where the Bride should be & when & makes it her business to get you there! What more can I say, I am a tough client, who was so impressed. Great Food, Great Service, and a view to die for....Thank you to ALL of the staff & management (yes, we saw your watchful eye during our entire affair!) at the Water's Edge! I can say with confidence about the Water's Edge, "The only thing they overlook is Manhattan".

View is great but that's it!

Reviewed on 7/09/2012 Laura C

Worth it for the view only!   posted 7/9/2012 The view at Waters Edge is Spectacular. The food was great as well. However, the service was perhaps one of my worst experiences. I'm referring to the staff responsible for coordinating special events. First, we are from... Read More out of town so our planning had to be over the phone and email. I specifically explained our dietary needs (vegetarian and pescaterian) and over the phone it was a good experience. However, once I received my statement via email I noticed it said "Muslim" party no beef or pork. I was shocked! First of all, not once did I inform them that we were Muslim. In fact some of us were Hindu, but regardless of that we never told them of our religious and cultural background. Waters Edge just assumed because we don't eat beef or pork, we had to be Muslim. To top it all off, the day of the reception, I (the bride) over heard from the bathroom the Waters Edge staff talking about this issue in their side office. They were so loud complaining that I clearly heard "I can't believe they crossed out Muslim. Whatever, it's the same thing, Muslim and Hindu. Besides they should not even be complaining, they're not even spending much money with their small wedding. We are doing them a favor, whatever!" I'm shocked at their ignorance and I'm shocked at their lack of professionalism. Never again will I waste my money at this establishment.

Very professional

Reviewed on 8/28/2011 Mercedes D

There was little I had to do, they organized everything and were very professional. The food was delicious and there service amazing.

Review for Water's Edge

Reviewed on 6/10/2009 diana b

The cost (at first--it ballooned when more ppl arrived then on guest list & there was drama involved with that i feel they tried to hussle me out of a couple thousand dollars but good thing my parents stepped in) but overrall for what was included in the price and for the view... Read More and ambiance we got a good price and the food was zagat rated and no one in my family heard or knew about the venue it was like a gem and the staff was absolutely excellent. i didn't even need to hire a day of wedding planner because they took excellent care of me and my husband. huge stress relief for sure;it is really a great price for what is included..from the cocktail hour with passed hors d'oeuvres and 3 stations to the beautiful and delicious wedding cake and the all day open bar not to mention the spectular view of midtown and the east river