Waters Edge

Bar + Drinks, Food + Catering, Service Staff

401 44th Drive, Long Island City, NY

Show Stopping Venue!

Reviewed on 11/04/2012 Danielle T

I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THE WATER'S EDGE! From the amazing view, to the gourmet food, to the impeccable service, I could not have been happier with my venue from the day I decided to have my wedding there until the day after the event when I went for my pick up. My maitre 'd... Read More was sheer perfection- even leaving to pick up my officiant when he couldn't find the venue. My bridal attendant was the most wonderful woman in the world- she truly made sure everything I could have ever wanted or needed was done before I even realized I wanted/needed it. My guests could not say enough about the picturesque view, incredible food, and fabulous service. My husband and I will always have a special place in our hearts for The Water's Edge, the place that helped to make our perfect day...Perfect!

Great view but that's it!

Reviewed on 7/09/2012 Laura C

Worth it for the view only!   posted 7/9/2012 The view at Waters Edge is Spectacular. The food was great as well. However, the service was perhaps one of my worst experiences. I'm referring to the staff responsible for coordinating special events. First, we are from... Read More out of town so our planning had to be over the phone and email. I specifically explained our dietary needs (vegetarian and pescaterian) and over the phone it was a good experience. However, once I received my statement via email I noticed it said "Muslim" party no beef or pork. I was shocked! First of all, not once did I inform them that we were Muslim. In fact some of us were Hindu, but regardless of that we never told them of our religious and cultural background. Waters Edge just assumed because we don't eat beef or pork, we had to be Muslim. To top it all off, the day of the reception, I (the bride) over heard from the bathroom the Waters Edge staff talking about this issue in their side office. They were so loud complaining that I clearly heard "I can't believe they crossed out Muslim. Whatever, it's the same thing, Muslim and Hindu. Besides they should not even be complaining, they're not even spending much money with their small wedding. We are doing them a favor, whatever!" I'm shocked at their ignorance and I'm shocked at their lack of professionalism. Never again will I waste my money at this establishment.

Wonderful Hidden Treasure

Reviewed on 8/12/2011 Lindsey S

The Woodlands is a beautiful mansion on the Town of Oyster Bay golf course that many people do not know about. This makes it a unique experience for your guests. The grounds are amazing and the service and food are spectacular. They only do one wedding at a time, so the whole... Read More place is yours. Just make sure you stay on top of them throughout the planning experience and all will go well! Loved every minute of our day and so did our guests!!!

The Woodlands

Reviewed on 8/03/2011 Meredith A

I loved the Woodlands in Woodbury from the moment we saw it. And the staff that we met with at the time were wonderful!! They assured us they would be with us and helping us 100% of the way. Well when it came closer to the plannning stages it took us contacting the Woodland... Read More looking for the women we worked with in the beginning to find out she was no longer there. No one even bothered to tell us. So we began working with yet another women...who 2 months later was out as well. Their lack of communication really bothered me as we came closer to our event. The staff that we loved and felt so comfortable working with were all gone. The current staff seemed a little unorganized and not as helpful . The place and the food are all top notch, but the staff was lacking I felt. We put certain things in our contract and we were assured by the GM that it would all be taken care of ...however not the case. We specifically requested to have the beer served in glasses however that was not the case during the entire wedding we asked the staff to stop serving in bottles and no one would listen. The GM did nothing about this. I loved the place and we had a ceremony there. Everything thought it was wonderful. But the staff was lacking.

Do Not Use!!!

Reviewed on 7/08/2011 Elizabeth c

Hello to all brides-to-be!!! First let me say congratulations on your upcoming wedding!! Such an exciting time for you!! I recently was married last Friday, July 1st 2011 and thought I'd share some hopefully helpful reviews of my vendors (the bad reviews that is). First and... Read More foremost, The Woodlands in Woodbury...........on the outside it appears as a beautiful mansion, with manicured landscaping and impeccable service....on the inside....it is a DISASTER!!!!! To start, it seems this venue has difficulty retaining employees, as we had gone through about 3 consultants within a period of 1 year. We were never made aware of when the prior consultant we were dealing with left and the excuse was always "she's/he's in a meeting". That should have been our first tip off. Next the banquet manager, Steve, seemed to overlooked certain minor details (I should say 'minor' to him) such as remembering when we scheduled appointments and also remembering the accurate total charge for our wedding ('mistakingly' tacking on an additional $3000 to our total bill!!!). In addition, it seemed all of our specific details of the reception reflected on our contract was apparently was overlooked the day of the wedding. For example, it was one of my husband's groomsmen 40th b-day the day of our wedding and we requested for a b-day cake to be brought to his table (which was written in the contract) and this never took place. We also had an ice sculpture in the contract and that was mysteriously missing from our cocktail hour as well. The bridal attendant, was nasty to our wedding party....when someone asked for a drink (this was before the reception started and the bar was open), she told them in a nasty tone of voice that she was busy and redirected them to the bar. We were told there were going to be stations of food set up for us and the wedding party in the bridal suite, which turned out the be cheese and crackers and fruit. When people in the wedding party asked for food, they were told it was being worked on and no food ever came out. Our Maitre d, Raymond, was hardly present the entire night. He introduced himself to me and my husband at about 15 mins before our reception and the only other time we saw him was on the dance floor when we were cutting our cake (which by the way, the waiters didn't even serve our cake to the tables, they set it up in Viennese hour and half the people didn't even have a piece). The next time I saw the maitre d was when I had to look for him to complain about the a/c unit shutting down (oh I'll get to that). The maitre d didn't even say good night to me and my husband at the end of the wedding!! So...now the really good part........during the reception, when everyone was dancing and having a great time, we started to realize how incredibly HOT it was!!!! I caught wind of some talk that the a/c had shut down, which made me then look for the maitre d (yes, I had to look for HIM). When I did, he told me the a/c did in fact shut down and they were working on it. It was horrible!!!! Imagine...an a/c shutting down with a room full of people in July!!! THEN.....if that's not bad enough.....the music shut down because a fuse was blown!!!!!!!!!!! All my guests made light of everything and the party continued, but the maitre d was still nowhere in sight!!! In addition, as typically expected at weddings, some guests didn't show who responded they would be there but we weren't even given dinne

Had a Great Wedding Here!!

Reviewed on 1/31/2011 Jenny T

I had a great wedding here in Fall 2010! Exceeded my expectations. The room is simple and beautiful; classy. The food was great as was the service. We were looking for something that wasn't over-the-top and within our style (we don't like marble, large chandeliers, etc). At... Read More the end, food (cocktail and dinner) was plentiful and delicious. Service was top notch (above par). They had a car waiting to drive us to our hotel and plenty of cabs for those who were going back to the city (without request). PROS: location/view; service (my attendant was fantastic); quality food; downstairs cocktail in restaurant setting with upstairs reception in a beautiful setting; make an effort to accommodate special requests. CONS: limited outdoor space (not an issue for us, but for some). Will need to take any (non-city view) landscape photos elsewhere; wish they had a better cake-baker/designer; small bridal area/suite (again, I didn't care though); recommended vendors were not great (seemed overpriced and I didn't use them); wedding planning service (free)isn't well-developed. Don't expect any serious discount in price. NYC is expensive. My cost per plate was reasonable for the area, but above budget (I thought they could have done better given the time of year). One disappointment in the process was that people come and go. I booked with one person and had another help with my planning (which isn't ideal and happens at a lot of places; disappointing b/c you often book with someone who gave you a good impression, etc.); make sure you WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN in your contract (wherever you book). It worked out for me b/c I did and they tried to accomodate my requests that weren't written down. I booked here and was a bit nervous when I googled and read a bunch of negative reviews. However, I had the opposite experience. The party EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS (which are high). I had a great maitre'd (John) and Kathy Z. was attentive the weeks before my wedding. Was a bit nervous before then, but they definitely focus on you as you wedding approaches. I think a few things were dropped (e.g., specialty beer) that were otherwise promised when I booked with someone else and there was some confusion with the change in person organizing my wedding, but overall, things came together and it was a great time. I don't think this place deserves such one-sided reviews and am writing this one because I think people should look into it. Without getting too picky and explaining small details that probably don't matter to others, this vendor was very good. If it's what you're looking for, it's definitely worth checking out. As with all vendors, you need to express your preferences up front and be on top of things! Also, you need to work hard to make your wedding what you want it (if you want the small details, do it yourself and make them available to your caterer so that they display them!)

Everything we wanted!!!!

Reviewed on 1/17/2011 Jennifer S

We had a wedding reception at the Woodlands on New Year's Eve and we could not have picked a better venue! The whole vibe at the Woodlands is one of romance as can only be pulled off in a north shore mansion on Long Island - - attention to detail, delicious food and wonderful... Read More service. If they tell you something will be done, it is, the way you asked it to be. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the Woodlands - - if you are planning on having your reception here, you will not be sorry :)

Reviewed on 11/16/2010 Tara C

Everything was absolutely fantastic!! The service was amazing, everything was taken care of before I was even able to think to ask! They did a lot of prep work prior to my wedding to make sure everything was up to my standards (washed the carpets, got brand new linens and... Read More china in time for my event), etc. The coordinator was amazing while we were trying to decide and did everything we asked! The food was absolutely fantastic! The group that owns the catering hall also owns a bunch of restaurants, and they get the food from their restaurants that they serve to guests. Always fresh, and absolutely amazing! We got rave reviews from all who attended our wedding-- from the cocktail hour to the dinner, everyone was speechless! The cake was TO DIE FOR! Baked on the premises, its fresh and custom made any way you'd like! They have plenty of photos for you to choose from, but they are also accommodating if you'd like something different.

My 10/2 Wedding Review!

Reviewed on 10/19/2010 Gina W

I loved the Woodlands. The ground are amazing, the food was INCREDIBLE and the service was excellent. Yes, they are a little pricey but I would pay it all over again and not think twice. It took every ounce of self control we had not to eat our top layer of cake when we got... Read More home! The cake and dessert plate they made for us were phenominal. If food is something important to you for your wedding day you can not go wrong with the Woodlands. They provided me with 2 Bridal Attendants who were both excellent. Sweet girls who were there within seconds when I needed them. Our maitre'd was just ok, as I didn't see him most of the night and the only time he appeared was for the cake cutting and my photographers had to ask him repeatedly to move out of the shot but that was the only time I saw him so that is the only thing I can review about him. I gave the Woodlands a list of requests leading up to our wedding day and they were executed perfectly... from the specific chairs I wanted for the ceremony to quick plate pick up during cocktail hour and the placement of our signature cocktails everything was done just the way I requested. My only "complaint" is that they did not pack everything up at the end of the night and we had to make several trips back to retrieve everything. I also blame my DOC for this as she had a list of everything I wanted and should have been on top of it.

The Woodlands combines quality and elegance!

Reviewed on 6/28/2010 Jeannette R

We wanted a venue that only hosted one wedding at a time and one that didn't feel like a wedding factory. The Woodlands exceeded our expectations; the ambiance is so beautiful and the food is spectacular! We received compliments months after our wedding on how wonderful the... Read More food was! The service is also great; our final banquet coordinator Nicole was very professional and had an attention to detail that rivaled my own (which is saying alot :)