Waverly Mansion

Estate, Historic Venue, Tented

Food + Catering

2300 Waverly Mansion Dr, Marriottsville, MD

Reviewed on 10/07/2016

My best friend just got married here back in September, they were hoping for a cool day but it turned out to be a high of 94 (a record high in MD for this time of year), but no big deal, it was a 6 pm ceremony, it would cool down. Anyways, the bridal party got there around 3 pm... Read More to relax and get ready. We already had our hair and makeup done before we got there, but we hadn't dressed yet. When we get there, we couldn't figure out who was in charge. No one seemed to approach us and take lead. First they told us to go upstairs and then they told us to go back down and up to the other wing of the house. We soon discovered there was NO A/C in either of the wings of the house. The middle foyer area was cool but both the grooms & bridal wings were staggeringly hot. It didn't take long to feel like all our makeup was melting off. Then we find out there was no wedding coordinator. Turns out she just quit just the day before, and the venue didn't seem to have a solid backup. One girl stepped in and thankfully arranged the outdoor seating for the ceremony and the arch (we'll get to that sad arch later). Thankfully our Bride didn't freak out realizing the wedding coordinator she'd been working with this entire time was not present for the actual event. My only comparison is like you're getting comfortable with a doctor prior to surgery and then on the day of the procedure the doc doesn't show. Another "wedding coordinator" showed up to relieve the other, she was a little more organized but seemed very overwhelmed. Luckily the photographer stepped up to the plate and gave pointers and organized us a bit. We had no clue how to put the bootineers on the groomsmen who were also in the other wing of the house sweating their butts off in suits. So the ceremony started a little late due to lack of organization & coordination. All in all the ceremony went well, the reception too, the tent was very well air conditioned and the bar was busy. I felt like they got less reception time due to the ceremony starting late. Also when I went to get a drink, the "wedding coordinator" was also bartending. There seemed to be a lack of bartenders as well as wedding coordinators at this venue. The only reason I'm laying this story out there is because the venue didn't seem to show any remorse for not having any A/C when they could have easily ran the external A/C fan ducts into the house while no one was using the tent. It was quite an experience for the bridal party trying to squeeze into their spandex and dresses while sweating like pigs. You pay tens of thousands for something, the service should be above and beyond. I'm just grateful the bride was patient and understanding, and didn't all this get to her. I can see a lot of other brides melting down.

Reviewed on 6/23/2016 Dany G

Best wedding ever!! The Waverly Mansion and Catering By Uptown did everything we asked for!! They turned our special day into a fairy tale and I couldn't be happier!! They took care of everything so on the day of the wedding all we had to do was show up and make that final walk!... Read More My husband and I would recommend them to anyone!

Reviewed on 4/24/2016 Rhiannon B

Just had one of the worst experiences of my life. We had our wedding at the Waverly mansion yesterday and it was a total disaster. The only things that went right were things that we took care of like the entertainment. Our wedding coordinator Katelyn, who only recently started... Read More working for the company, despite numerous verbal assurances that she would be there for every little detail, the day of was no where to be found half of the time and had an attitude right as we arrived about "it not being her job to herd guests to the ceremony, that's what the signs are for." Yes, I think it was your job and I also think it was Uptown by Catering's job to assure the safety of the guests of the wedding. All of our gift money from guests, thousands of dollars, was stolen from our vehicles while we were celebrating. This happened before 9 and I was not notified until after 11 once all of the money had already been taken. There should have been some kind of security lights (there was one orange light across the street) cameras, or a security person and there was nothing. Then staff members were overheard by guests saying "the checks are in the car." Although they of course claimed no knowledge of anything when we discovered the robbery. I'm not even going to mention the numerous other small things (the groomsmen not getting their boutineers and the music completely stopping during the dinner and I had to search, again, for Katelyn to help, bartender disappearing numerous times so my guests had to serve themselves, the gift basket where money was also located being placed outside of the tent where we couldn't see it, I could go on) They will say whatever you want to hear to get you to book and then once they have your money your concerns do not matter. Please save your money (and don't get it stolen) and choose another company for your big event.

Reviewed on 9/03/2015 Michelle C

Waverly Mansion is a perfect venue to hold your wedding ceremony and reception. Starting from the ceremony- the weather was perfect for an August wedding so we had our ceremony out front of the mansion. The cocktail hour was held outside the tent to the left and the reception... Read More was under the tent. We purchased the air system because we weren’t sure how hot the day was going to be and we were glad we did. When everyone gets to dancing it gets hot in the tent. The food was amazing- Catering by Uptown is known for their delicious foods. They provide you with a wedding coordinator for the night of your wedding so you don’t have to worry about a thing. A few things that made my wedding difficult- they won’t let you enter the mansion until 1.5 hours before your wedding. It makes it difficult when you want to get your pictures done before the ceremony so you can enjoy your cocktail hour. When you reserve your day, you rent the entire mansion so your guests can walk through the historic mansion, which is a pretty neat feature. Overall the wedding was gorgeous. The bride and groom have their own servers. They all really make sure you, your husband and your immediate family are taken care of (for example, they knew my mom and dad’s favorite drink). The mansion was reasonably priced and the price includes EVERYTHING- food, drinks, tables, chairs, centerpieces, etc. It’s a one stop shop!

Reviewed on 6/30/2015 Rachel H

This venue is simple, classic and beautiful. Catering By Uptown is the company they exclusively use and they are an amazing company! Amazing customer service and very affordable. They will help you as much as you need and know how to make you the happiest bride you can be. They... Read More also have many other venues, PICK THEM! Www.cateringbyuptown.com

Great location

Reviewed on 6/03/2015 Carolyn J

My husband & I decided to check this place out since our neighbors picked this venue & catering was included. We met with Linda 2 different times (for different family members) and signed right away. It made sense not only due to location but to have food & beverage included... Read More helped a great deal. The food was amazing, everyone commented on it! It was nice to be able to go to the main location for Uptown Catering to try several selections of food. Cake was also included. There were a few things we did not know about until right before the wedding. We got our day of coordinator the week of. Even though we could call Uptown Catering with any questions, it would've been nice to have one at least 3-4 weeks prior. If you've never done this before, it would really help. Also, if you do a rehearsal, there is a fee but they add 20% for the coordinator to it. While we wish we knew that up front, our coordinator Courtney did a great job & made sure we had everything we needed for that day. When our top layer cake was wrapped up, there was so much room in the box that it slid around some & was smushed a little. Even though cake would taste the same slighted smushed or not, it would've been nice if it was packaged properly. Overall, this was a beautiful historic location, and Uptown did do a good job.

Amazing one on one service

Reviewed on 3/04/2015

I normally don’t write review but while booking my wedding for this upcoming fall I worked with Christina Lambie from Catering by Uptown, and I must say she was amazing. She was readily available whenever I called (which was a lot). The venue was gorgeous and I knew it was... Read More everything I wanted. While working with Christina she made all of my dreams come to life and was very helpful with all of the questions I had and changes I wanted to make to the package. I fell like from the very first phone call to our meeting and everything in between I have been blown away at the personal attention I have received this far you would think I was the only Bride she was working with. I truly can’t wait to say I do this year in such a magical venue and I know that Christina Lambie and Catering by uptown will take care of every last detail and make my dream day come true!

Start a Conversation!