Whitehouse Caterers at Overhills Mansion, circa 1897

Ballroom, Estate, Historic Venue

Food + Catering, Planning, Rentals + Equipment, Service Staff

916 S Rolling Rd, Catonsville, MD (410) 744-0040

Reviewed on 7/26/2017 Samantha B

I had my wedding here in May 2015 with 240 guests and it was the BEST day of my life! The food was so good, people are still talking about it! The food was really important to us and the fact that they are farm to table made us so happy, you can tell that they make everything... Read More from scratch. They made the planning process fun and not stressful. My wedding planner Lynda and day of coordinator Julia made sure all the big and little details were discussed, organized and executed perfectly! I got my alcohol from Dave at the Wine Bin which saved us a lot of money because we only paid shelf price and got our money back for the wine and liquor that wasn't opened. We also got to taste the food before our wedding. They have a big group tasting with a good amout to choose from. They told me that if there was something custom that I wanted to taste we could pay for a private tasting, but after going to the group tasting, the food was so good, I didn't need to do a private tasting and we still designed a custom menu and tried food for the first time on our wedding day and we were SO pleased! It was also really convenient because they set up all my decorations for me and I didn't need to bring in really anything but pictures of my husband and I because they include all the tables, chairs, white linen, 3 votive centerpieces and table numbers. One of the biggest things I learned is you get what you pay for...we paid for excellence...and our expectations were exceeded!

Reviewed on 7/26/2017 Samantha B

Reviewed on 7/07/2017 Kathleen H

Easy to work with. They made everything simple. Big thank-you to Lynda for her event planning expertise and to Julia for being our officiant, day-of coordinator, snack-fetcher, and is-everything-ok asker! The day went off without a hitch and we couldn't be any more grateful.

Reviewed on 5/28/2017 Zachary L

Our wedding was everything we could have ever wanted, and more. The staff at Overhills Mansion went above and beyond in ways we never thought possible. My husband and I looked at a ton of venues, and none even came close to Overhills. The venue us stunning, the food was some of... Read More the best we have ever eaten, and our coordinator Julia was worth her weight in gold. She truly helped us created the perfect day. I could not recommend this place more.

Reviewed on 4/30/2017 Thakira M

Excellent staff! They attended to every single detail that we envisioned for this wedding! We told them our ideas and all we had to do was drop the items off two days before the wedding.. It was the most wonderful Disney themed wedding that I could have ever imagined..

Reviewed on 3/14/2017 Beth H

Excellent venue. Had ceremony and reception there. 115 guests. Beautiful venue and delicious food. Lynda, the event coordinator, was wonderful to work with. Thought of every detail and very helpful. We extended the time slot to 4.5 hrs and should have extended to 5. Floor staff... Read More did a marvelous job taking down ceremony and setting up reception. Highly recommend.

Reviewed on 10/09/2016 Ariana V

My husband and I had our wedding reception at Overhills two days ago and it was everything we could have hoped for and more. From the beginning with booking the venue, they were extremely accommodating of us. Though I'm originally from Maryland and my family still lives in the... Read More area, my husband and I were living in Fort Worth, TX for work reasons. Despite planning from a distance with limited availability to come and actually physically meet with the venue, Lisa and Julie worked to ensure everything went seamlessly. For starters, they allowed us to have a private tasting since we would not be able to attend the group tasting they normally schedule. The food was excellent and even our guests raved about how amazing their salmon and blackberry/port-wine chicken was. We had passed appetizers of crab cakes, which were an instant hit and really gave all of our out of town guests a taste of Maryland. When I got to the reception and raved about how wonderful the crab cakes were, Lisa brought me a special plate to the bridal suite and even had a fresh plate at our sweetheart table! The bridal suite also had hor d'oeurvres for the wedding party and flavor infused water. We did need to book alcohol through a separate vendor, which we originally thought was going to be a huge hassle; however, this actually greatly reduced the cost to us since we went with their suggested vendor, the Wine Bin in Ellicot City, MD. Not only did they provide us with an excellent assortment of drinks that we handpicked, but they also reimbursed us for any unopened wine bottles. This was a great advantage to us cost-wise and our guests were pleased with everything provided. The planning of everything was absolutely effortless with Julie. She took time to get to know us through email exchanges and questionnaires, so when we actually sat down to plan the order of events, she had great ideas for everything. Frankly, we used pretty much everything Julie suggested and it was executed perfectly for our big day. For the wedding reception itself, Lisa was our coordinator and despite never having met with her, she was absolutely excellent. She made sure Eric and I didn't have to think about a thing--she constantly let us know when we had things to do, such as cutting the cake, garter/bouquet toss, and our send-off. She was also very amendable to some of our last-minute changes, which helped ease our worries as we got closer to the day itself. Overall, we couldn't have been more pleased with how our wedding reception went. From the planning stages, to the food, and our final send-off, the staff at Overhills was truly excellent and went above and beyond to ensure we had a wonderful day. Even all the way down to the little details, it was absolutely perfect. We couldn't be more grateful for the wonderful care and attention we received. We would definitely highly recommend this venue to other brides, especially if you're planning from out of town.

2016-10-11T10:06:16 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words! It was our pleasure to give your out of town guests a taste of Maryland and we are glad to know everyone enjoyed the food and atmosphere. The snowboard as a guest book was a wonderful touch.... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/01/2016 Zeyn D

I highly recommend Overhills for a wedding reception!! Julia and Lynda are incredible! My wife and I wanted to get married shortly after getting engaged. With a 4 month timeline, the staff at Overhills made planning our reception smooth and easy. They got to know us and made... Read More recommendations we never even considered that made our day reflect who we are. Outside of my two left feet helping my new mother-in-law and I tumble to the ground during my first dance with her, our reception was executed flawlessly. The staff made us feel like royalty. Moreover, our guests continue to compliment us on how well they were taken care of at our reception. The food was DELECTABLE! You will not go wrong with anything on the menu (but good luck in trying to top ours :) - I'm only slightly biased). They worked with us to create a menu reflecting both our cultures. And, again, the guests raved about their meals. I highly recommend renting the cottage for your event. It took all the logistical headaches of preparing for our day off the table. It's well worth the nominal additional cost. (Grooms to be, trust me on this one - offer to pay for if it isn't in the budget...your bride and soon to be mother-in-law will love you for it). The staff at Overhills brings the insight and experience only true industry pro's can provide. I can't thank them enough for making our day absolutely perfect.

2016-10-05T13:01:30 Response from the vendor

Congratulations again! We are pleased to know that all of your guests enjoyed the event and excited to know you were happy with the cottage. we were also excited to see the traditional attire, so many beautiful colors!

Reviewed on 9/19/2016 Elizabeth H

They did a great job and I'm glad I chose this venue. I was frustrated throughout the process with slow responses, 1 surprise fee. The location is gorgeous and the day-of coordinator Rosie was excellent. Pros: -The location is gorgeous and has both outside and inside ceremony... Read More options, and they let you wait until the morning of the event to decide if you want to deal with the weather or not (it was windy on my wedding day so it wasn't as clear cut as if it were raining or something like that, so I made the call a couple hours before the ceremony). The inside option doesn't feel like a backup plan. -Rosie was great at keeping us on schedule and dealing with requests at the last minute. She handled my unconventional wedding party (all kids, no bridesmaids, groomsman, or ushers) and other things. (day-of coordinator is built into the cost) -The vendors that are used to working with Overhills are so used to it that I know I could trust them to know exactly how to handle things. The event planner handled working with these vendors without me having to be involved in that. (event planner built into the cost) -Having to go with the in-house caterer might bother some people, but to me it helped remove one decision Cons: -The surprise fee annoyed me, but wasn't that much -Because I only had 50 guests at my wedding, the minimum catering fee forced me to buy more expensive food than I would have otherwise. But it was still comparable to other caterers either because of larger base fees or similar minimums. -Very slow to get back to me over email -They refused to schedule the rehearsal until only a week or two before the wedding -They have said the photo booth photos will be emailed right away, and I still haven't received them Overall, I'm very happy I chose Overhills for my wedding!

2016-09-28T09:31:19 Response from the vendor

This is puzzling and perplexing to us. We pride ourselves in giving all costs up front and we constantly receive compliments from potential clients and clients regarding this. We verbally give all prices at the tour, our printed portfolio also has all of our prices... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 9/06/2016 Meagan B

We had a wonderful experience with Overhills! We loved that they had an outdoor space for the ceremony and an indoor space for the reception. There are a lot of options on the grounds for photo locations. They set up a planning session 6 months before and Lynda helped me with so... Read More many details and reminded me of several things I would have totally forgotten about otherwise. They held a tasting event which was so great and we were able to finalize our menu after that. Julia was our day-of coordinator and she was FABULOUS. We had a sticky mother-in-law situation when we did our rehearsal and Julia was amazing at keeping me calm and making sure that continued on our wedding day. She was constantly asking if we needed anything and made the best margarita. She set up all of our decorations exactly like I wanted and made the flow of the day seamless. I didn't have to worry about a thing! We liked that we could supply our own alcohol, which kept our cost down and we were able to keep what was leftover. We got so many compliments on the food and the space from our guests!

2016-10-05T13:02:45 Response from the vendor

Thank you for the complements! We take pride in both the indoor and outdoor spaces of the Mansion, we are so pleased that you were able to utilize both spaces to make your big day perfect. Congratulations!

Reviewed on 6/29/2016 Jack Y

I couldn't imagine having a better experience than what I did with whitehouse cateres. It was absolutely AMAZING.

2016-10-05T13:05:47 Response from the vendor

Congratulations on your big day! Thank you so much for the amazing compliments. We are proud to have made your day such an amazing experience.

Reviewed on 6/08/2016 Arielle T

Overhills Mansion is beautiful. They are incredibly responsive to emails and get back to you quickly, put your mind at ease, and are very professional. I loved my wedding day, but there are a few pet peeves I had during the whole process, mostly regarding their policies. 1) you... Read More can't have flower petals or rice or glitter or anything like that on the tables or down the pathway in the back. Also, candle flames have to be enclosed completely in glass. I get that the flame stuff is a safety issue, but these can severely limit your decorating when choosing aisle decor and/or centerpieces and all venues don't have rules like this. 2) You have 2 choices for your event time- early afternoon or 7pm. Lunch wedding or late night; no in-between. 7pm was really late and we were pushing it to have sufficient lighting outside for pictures. People didn't eat dinner until 9pm. But no one wants to go to a 12noon wedding and party either. Also, probably the most annoying thing was that the entire event- from ceremony to the end of the reception- lasts no more than 4 hours unless you want to pay extra per half hour to extend it. We decided not to extend it and it was fine, but it was slightly rushed. 3) Scheduling a rehearsal is ridiculous. You can't do it on the Friday before your Saturday wedding because they might have events that day. So you either do it on the Wednesday or Thursday before (which sucks, because what if part of your bridal party is out of town??), or you don't do it at the mansion at all (which we opted to do). Also, they won't let you schedule a rehearsal more than a month in advance. So any out of town family in the wedding are basically screwed until they take the whole week off. 4)Also, they aren't the cheapest. Given that the whole thing lasts 4 hours tops, and I had 89 guests, I still paid about $13-15,000 for venue and food. They have a lot of fees for little things, like an energy surcharge. Overall, I enjoyed my wedding very much, and Julia the day off coordinator saved us in more ways than one. Those 3 points were SUPER irritating, but I am still pleased with my experience. Just be aware that some of their policies are overly strict.

Reviewed on 5/10/2016 Kara S

My wedding could not have been more perfect. Overhills Mansion is absolutely gorgeous with a setting that looks like its from the south. Julia was such a huge help on our wedding day. She kept everything running smoothly and on time. We could not have asked for a better venue or... Read More help!

Reviewed on 4/11/2016 Samantha S

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!!! My husband and I were supposed to get married on 1.23.16, but due to snowstorm Jonas had to push our wedding a day to the right. The weather wasn't much better that day and Julia and the staff did everything they could. First, we moved the reception to... Read More a day later. Second, Julia and her husband Will went above and beyond to get the staff there with many people still buried in snow. We couldn't move our wedding any further due to multiple deployments (me, my husband, my brother, friends). To this day I know there are many things that happened behind the scenes that I, as the bride, am unaware of. That is the way a bride should feel on her wedding day. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding them, the couple should feel happy and at ease. Whitehouse Caterers did that for us!!!! Not to mention working with them throughout the whole process was very seamless. I am a planner, and Julia told me upfront that I would get "bride brain" and that what I would normally have under control could get out of hand. I remembered this when working with the staff and it really helped me manage stress throughout the planning process. The food was perfect!!!!! I really can't say enough about this venue. We had such a great time and it truly made our day to have our family and friends that came in to weather the storm with us be able to enjoy a great reception just following a record breaking snowstorm. We had our ceremony at the Naval Academy Chapel and were able to get transportation to Overhills. For everything that was done to make this reception happen we will be eternally grateful to Julia, Will, and Whitehouse Caterers staff. We highly recommend this venue to anyone and we look forward to having more events here in the future.

Reviewed on 4/05/2016 Katie E

Overall my experience with Overhills was great! The venue offers great things such as: bringing your own alcohol to cut down on that cost (open bar is expensive!), many menu options so that you can create a menu in your own budget, a coordinator beforehand and day of that handle... Read More all your details, a very reasonable venue cost for both ceremony and reception, plus IT'S BEAUTIFUL! Also it has great options for indoor and outdoor so the weather never ruins your day! Only things I would make sure brides are aware of and plan for: You cannot access the venue more than an hour before your ceremony so if you are having it all there make sure you don't plan on getting ready there! (They have a great list of hotels to stay at, which is what we did!) Use their liquor guy for at least your beer because he will drop it off and pick it up. This has to be done the day of the wedding so if you do it yourself someone will be doing that right before! I have recommended everyone I know who is getting married to check out Overhills because for us it was the perfect place for us!

Fairy Tale Wedding

Reviewed on 10/27/2015 Beccah A

I had my wedding and reception at this venue and it was absolutely beautiful. The whole process was pretty painless. We met with Lynda to go over details and decoration placements. We then requested another meeting with Lynda to go over some new decorations we wanted to add. She... Read More gladly met with us and helped us to find the perfect place for them to go. She was very communicative with us via email. Our day of coordinator Julia was beyond amazing. She made sure everything was perfect, from start to finish. She was all about ensuring we had an unforgettable day. The food was delicious! Everyone kept talking about how the food was great, the venue was beautiful, and the staff was pleasant. I would highly recommend this venue.

You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed on 7/17/2015 Alexis A

I held my ceremony and reception here. I booked them a over a year in advance and they made the planning process so easy! Everyone was so nice to work with. Julia was my day of coordinator and she was the BEST! Lynda helped me with the event planning prior to the wedding. She... Read More was so patient and thorough with me. I can't say enough good things about this place. They made my wedding day an absolute dream come true. The food is great, and the service is phenomenal!

Wonderful wedding location

Reviewed on 1/05/2015 Mary K

My husband and I were looking for a place nearby our church in Ellicott City to have our reception, and I'm so glad we chose Overhills Mansion! The staff was wonderful, and Lynda was always so calm in answering my lists of questions. Our wedding was in December, which meant the... Read More Mansion was already decorated, and it looked absolutely beautiful. We didn't have to do much to make the space feel special, and everyone commented on how unique and historic the space was. Another great standout was the food! Overhills Mansion gave us the best price for our dinner, but after sampling the food, the price no longer mattered to me. The food was out of this world good, and I still have guests telling me that it was the best wedding meal they've ever had. We even had custom made apps that my husband and I hadn't tasted before the wedding, and everyone raved about them! Overall, Overhills Mansion made our reception. We had a fantastic time, the service and food were of the highest quality, and the value was outstanding. I would recommend this reception site to anyone who asked me. Thank you again for making us look so good!

Great service and a great deal

Reviewed on 12/27/2014 Victoria S

We found a great value with Overhills Mansion. We stressed about finding a reception venue that had some charm to it instead of a typical ballroom, while still being in our price range. We also wanted somewhere that was flexible and unique with food and beverages instead of... Read More giving you the run-of-the mill options such as the same 3 lights beers and 2 wines that almost everywhere else would serve. Overhills Mansion provided that. We sat down with the chef and he created our menu based on what we wanted. They said if there was something particular we wanted they could make it for us. The bar selection process was great because they do not sell the alcohol, they only serve it, so you purchase the alcohol from the outside vendor they recommend, but you can order whatever you want. We were able to create our own signature drinks and order our favorite beers which I think made our reception stand out from other weddings. As far as planning our reception, they guided us every step of the way. They answered all questions very promptly and were very flexible with how we wanted our decorations, the floor layout, etc. I can honestly say working with them did not add any stress to an already stressful process! They made everything run smoothly, even the day before when I was freaking out about making sure the centerpieces and decorations were placed correctly, the planner Lynda called me to double check everything. During the actual reception, the staff was great. They were attentive to my groom and I and made sure we always had a drink. During the reception the time is flying by when you have 100 people to say hi to and take pictures with, but the bridal party attendant kept track of time and kept us on schedule but allowed us to be flexible too. Even though we had planned the exact time for all the special dances, bouquet/garter toss, cake cutting, she let us change it up a bit according to the flow of the night. The food was delicious. We didn't have any issues with our dinner and we got many great reviews from our guests on the food. The one and only thing that I would say was a bit of a problem was the layout of the room. With the ballroom being divided into an upper and lower portion with it being divided by a few steps, the DJ setup had both speakers pointed toward the lower ballroom where the bridal party and immediate family were sitting, while the rest of the guests on the upper level were behind the speakers and could not hear everything- some people did not know when the special dances and cake cutting happened. I would advise anyone just to have their DJ maybe point one speaker to the front and one towards the back. But that was literally the only bad comment we got. We both thought Overhills Mansion was a beautiful and unique place to have a wedding. And by far they had the best prices and most options of any reception hall. I can truly say they took our ideas and brought them to life for us and we would highly recommend it!

Beautiful Wedding of our Dreams

Reviewed on 9/30/2014 Abby K

This location comes with a ton of it's own genuine character which we loved. The staff was all very nice across board and liked everyone that we encountered. We didn't work with the same person from start to finish and then, one of the few day of event coordinators who we had... Read More not met was put in charge. Everything still turned out very well in that regard. The little issues we encountered were that you can't book the rehearsal until one month out from your wedding or event date, which did present problems for us in booking the dinner (elsewhere) in general. Fortunately it worked out. The staff requests your event favors in alphabetical order by last name, which I did, but then they were put out incorrectly somehow, creating a bottle neck getting people into dinner. Whoever was responsible for doing so, did not unpack one of the items my usher's needed either which, in the end, was just fine, but it was noted to them. This venue comes with it's own wholesale alcohol resource. There is not an option to use someone different and unfortunately, we did not have a good experience with this person. He was hard to get a hold of, and believe it or not, kept avoiding us paying him. The venue told us he was distracted because he has been in the process of selling the business to a new owner so I imagine this won't be a future issue at all. Despite any of the items just listed, we LOVED the day of the event. The location itself is beautiful and the staff works hard to make sure your decoration is just as nice, the food was tasty, the staff is wonderful and we really did have the wedding of our dreams because of their hard work.

EXTREMELY Disappointed - Not worth the aggravation

Reviewed on 7/28/2014 Danielle M

We got married the Saturday before Easter and up until my wedding day we - me, my mom, my future mother in law - all raved about what a great value the place was, how nice it looked, how excited we were that we found the place... They were slow to respond to emails, which wasn't... Read More a huge deal to me, though there were times where it was very annoying. The day before the wedding, our coordinator Julia had told us she would be there the next day (Saturday) and that she would make sure our ceremony was set up (we did a paint ceremony, so we had a canvas and 2 small bottles of paint that needed to be emptied into a vase - she said they'd handle it so I didn't need to risk getting paint on my dress, also we had a tissue paper flower backdrop to be hung. It was all tied to dowel rods, so it just needed to be sat on top of the alter). She told me that she would take care of the setup and even bring in flowers to hang behind our sweetheart table. We were told that there would be someone to come into our rooms to let us know when the groomsmen were to go outside and someone to let us ladies know when you leave... Day of the wedding - Julia never showed up. We never knew this until everything ran late. Luckily for us we did a first look, and at 10 minutes before guests were to arrive and the ceremony had still not been set up we rushed to get everything up in time, and I had to pour the paint into the vases myself. Since there was NO day of coordinator, everything ran very late. Guests were not ushered out to their seats in time, the ceremony was about 15 minutes late before our family and the best man had to step in and organize the event. After the ceremony, we were waiting for introductions. No one had told the staff that there would be any, so that ran about 20 minutes late by the time our best man got everything moving. As for the food, it wasn't horrible it wasn't great. For as inexpensive as it was, it was what we expected. We had NY strip and teriyaki chicken. The chicken was not tossed in the sauce. It just laid on the plate with a thick zig zag of sauce on top - unlike the tasting where it was mixed. It was kind of gross, so I skipped that part of the meal. PROS: The fact that the location is BYOB saved a LOT of money for us when it came to alcohol. The partnership with the liquor store was great, the owner of the store made a few trips over with more types of wine and beer and there were no issues with that. Also, the catering staff was great. The people that actually showed... They were attentive and worked with us so that we could get things moving. Overall, had we known that we would need to organize the majority of the day of events AHEAD of time, we probably would have still gone with Overhills to save money. But figuring it out after your ceremony is already running very late, it is completely unprofessional. Especially since they only have a 7-11 window for the evening location, with everything running late and no coordinator to organize anything we only had about an hour of dancing which was really upsetting for me, since that was what I was really looking forward to. We would not recommend this location anymore. Our families are beyond disappointed with how the managing staff of Overhills handled the day. We even had high hopes since my mother-in-law knew the people who were supposed to be organizing everything. As a bride, this location is not worth the stress.

2014-08-12T16:21:27 Response from the vendor

To prospective brides and grooms... We are saddened to read the above because we believe that wedding days are so special and should be remembered in a wonderful way. We are also shocked to hear this news 4 months after the event because we had... Read Less Read More

EXTREMELY Disappointed - Not worth the aggravation

Reviewed on 7/28/2014 Danielle M

Great experience, nice ambience

Reviewed on 2/08/2014 Hannah H

Whitehouse staff were very easy to communicate with. They responded quickly to any questions posed by email and phone. They even supported us in helping us make decisions about bar supplies, decorations, etc. The only thing that would improve our experience would be to have a... Read More staff member assist with the progression of the evening. I was told there would be a floor manager to inform us of the time for each event throughout. We were not assisted at all in this manner. I was approached by a staff member that told me we were running late on one occasion but offered no assistance to remind us to initiate the activities(cake cutting, bouquet toss, etc). Suggestion: Brides, assign someone to communicate with staff during your event and keep events moving along. Overall the experience was a great one, and I would recommend it to any couple looking for a romantic classic setting.

Absolutely Horrible

Reviewed on 10/24/2013 Monica B

Whitehouse Caterers at Overhills Mansion was too expensive for budget, so they (Julia) told us that they have a smaller venue 'Women's Club of Catonsville'. We decided to go with them. I really didn't like the place because of the colors and that hideous green curtain! But my... Read More coordinator told me everything would be alright and that she would make the place look pretty. So we sat down to make the menu and she kept insisting that I do the finger tenders (they call it some other fancy name) but I specifically told her I did not want chicken fingers at my wedding. So we agreed on the chicken breast! Well what do you suppose I had at my wedding...(you got it) CHICKEN FINGERS!!! I was so upset...she apologized but it was too late then the damage was already done! Then when I was the place it was hot in the hall. I asked will it be this hot when we have the reception, and she assured me that it would not be and that she would make sure the air is on. She told me it was hot because the place had been closed up all day and I believed her. What do you think happened at the reception...ppl were fanning themselves with their napkins!!! So they brought out FANS!!! They ran out of plates for the horderves...my girlfriend said ppl just started put them in cups!!! They didn't have a wheelchair ramp for my sick aunt to use. We had to have several ppl help her up/down the steps to enter and exit! It was very small and cramped and very little room for a dance floor! This was the most horrible and embarassing experience for a bride to go through on her big day! So I would suggest to never, ever, ever ever use this place for a wedding reception. The only reason I rated them an one is because I had to put something...other than that they would got a ZERO rating!

Beautiful!

Reviewed on 10/01/2013 ashley k

Working with Overhills was a wonderful experience! They were very helpful with whatever we needed leading up to the day and most importantly made my wedding day perfect!!