Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront

Chicago, IL

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Located in Chicago, Illinois, the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront offers an upscale city view venue for wedding ceremonies and receptions. Choose from the traditional Grand Ballroom to the chic Penthouse Ballroom and Terrace for an unforgettable wedding. With catering provided on site along with comfortable accommodations available to guests, couples can enjoy a simple planning process. The catering service offers a wide array of dishes that range from hors d’oeuvres to plated courses and late-night snacks. Particularly with the Penthouse Ballroom and adjacent Terrace, guests enjoy spectacular views of the city, made even more romantic after dusk when all of the city lights sparkle in the backdrop. For couples seeking a high-class hotel venue with top-notch views, the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront is an excellent option.

Penthouse Ballroom. Located on the top floor of the hotel building, the Penthouse Ballroom is urban luxury at its best. With lush carpeting and floor-to-window views of the city, guests truly enjoy the city dining experience. Uplighting in the ballroom can bring out its trendy vibe.

39th Floor Outdoor Terrace. Adjacent to the Penthouse Ballroom, the terrace offers an immersive city experience. With glass walls encompassing the space, beautiful stonework and the surrounding skyscrapers offer an urban chic setting for cocktail receptions or outdoor ceremonies. Outdoor heaters can be added to accommodate mingling during receptions at the Penthouse Ballroom as well. It is available in spring, summer and fall months.

Grand Ballroom. The space offers a classic banquet space with modern carpeting, muted tones and modern chandeliers. There are also inlaid lighting and sconces throughout, providing a well-lit space for ceremonies or receptions. The room is a fairly blank canvas and gives couples the opportunity to bring the space to life with their vision. The simple addition of linens, chair covers and centerpieces tie the reception site together.

Catering is provided on site by Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront. Couples work with a catering manager to plan a wedding menu, which typically begins with butler-passed hors d’oeuvres, continues with a plated dinner and finishes up with dessert. The fare is upscale and on trend. Wine service is an option for the dinner. Beverages can be served and bartenders are provided. Cake and cake-cutting is also provided.

Additional items included in wedding packages include linens, napkins and votive candles for table settings. A dance floor is available for the reception. All other outside vendors should be hired from the hotel's preferred vendor list. Outside vendors not on the list require pre-approval. Confetti is allowed with an additional cleaning fee. The venue rental is charged at a base rate for six hours, with additional time incurring an hourly charge. For events planned for the outdoor terrace, the weather report must show less than a 40 percent chance of rain and wind gusts less than 14 mph.

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront offers several extra perks:

• Framed table numbers
  • Complimentary suite for the newly wedded couple
  • Upgraded rooms for the couple's parents
  • Welcome gifts delivered to guests' rooms
  • Valet parking
  • Coat check
  • Signature drink

Celebrate in Grand Style

Modern. Sophisticated. Show-stopping. Impress your guests in one of our two newly renovated ballrooms. Our 39th floor Penthouse Ballroom features a stunning outdoor terrace and panoramic city views, while our new Grand Ballroom is perfect for larger parties.

Ballroom, Waterfront, Hotel, Rooftop

Food + Catering, Planning

71 East Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL (312) 462-7066

Kendall / Wyndham = INCREDIBLE!

Reviewed on 10/13/2014 Marissa H

My wife and I were recently married at the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront (September 2014) and we have the very best things to say about not only the venue, but Kendall Krug - the Catering Sales Manager. From the first time we met Kendall, she did everything in her power... Read More to accommodate our budget, needs, wants, and frankly - our neurotic personalities. As wedding planning can be somewhat stressful, especially for us trying to plan in a 4 month period - we had LOTS of questions / concerns for Kendall. She handled them without so much as a pause and left our minds at ease from start to finish. We got to know Kendall personally throughout the process and this put us even more at ease. She, David and Stephanie didn't miss a beat at the ceremony, reception and during the entire night. In terms of the venue: I have been a Chicago resident my entire life and can't say I've seen a more ideal setting for a city wedding. Many hotels offer cramped reception areas without windows, views, or outdoor spaces to enjoy. The Wyndham has all of these in spades. Situated on the River near the Michigan Avenue Bridge, the views from the reception hall are nearly 360 degrees of the Loop, River, Magnificent Mile and some of the cities greatest landmarks. If weather allows, I highly suggest having your event when you can utilize the outdoor patio - UTTERLY STUNNING. As for the reception hall, the floor to ceiling windows on three walls mean you do not have to spend money dressing the room with flowers or any additional decorations - the view says it all. Let's not forget the Chef's - they were so very kind, accommodating, and talented. The food was truly fantastic and our guests raved. Just a teaser - the lamb lollipop appetizer is a must for the meat-eaters interested in the space. Clearly, my wife and I can't speak highly enough of both Kendall and the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront! Our best to Kendall and thank you!

Amazing Wedding, Amazing Views, and Great Staff

Reviewed on 8/16/2014 Andrea R

My husband and I were married at the hotel earlier this month and cannot say enough good things about the venue and in particular, Kendall Krug,the Catering Sales Manager. To be honest when we started planning our wedding, I did not want a "hotel" wedding. However, the minute we... Read More saw the views of the Chicago skyline we fell in love. Then we met Kendall, which was the icing on the cake knowing we had made the right decision. Kendall worked with us every step of the way to make sure our food was unique. Beyond that she went above and beyond to accommodate some last minute requests, including skyping my Maid of Honor in for the ceremony. She did so with a smile on her face and a calm that any bride appreciates. Our guests are still raving about the space, the food, and the overall party.

Reviewed on 4/30/2017 Brittany B

Brianna was everything we wanted in a catering manager. She did much more than expected from the very first day until the last. She helped with our problems, responded quickly, organized difficult situations, was always smiling, and very fun to work with. She made a stressful... Read More day relaxing and enjoyable. I would not recommend anyone but her in Chicago. The venue was GORGEOUS. It rained and we still enjoyed every second of being in that windowed room. The view is absolutely unbeatable in Chicago (we visited over 40 places before settling on this one). Cannot praise them enough! Bravo and we thank them for making our wedding the best day of our lives. The rehearsal and Sunday brunch were great too. -Brittany and Cem "Gem" Kuru

Reviewed on 4/09/2017 Lauren J

Our wedding was absolutely beautiful, and that is of course partly due to this incredible venue. We were very fortunate to have beautiful weather so we got to use the terrace. Everyone was so impressed with the views. Also, being able to stay in the same building after the... Read More reception was a Godsend. And the rooms are so nice (especially the bridal suite)! We worked with Brianna, and she was very sweet. She was knowledgeable, responsive and helpful. She also was there throughout most of the event. This space says that it can fit 130 seated. We had 70, and felt like it was the perfect about of people. There was plenty of room to move around and everyone was comfortable!

Reviewed on 8/17/2016 Kerry B

We had our wedding reception at the Wyndham and we were so pleased! It is a true gem in the middle of the city. The view from the penthouse and terrace are amazing and the staff was so accommodating to our guests. The food is good and Brianna is great to work with. Highly... Read More recommend as a wedding reception venue!

Reviewed on 7/22/2016 Lina S

My husband, Rob, and I recently got married in the Penthouse Ballroom & Terrace on July 3,2016. Brianna Coyle (our SUPERSTAR wedding specialist from the hotel) was without a doubt the most detail-oriented and helpful person I have worked with! She made sure every detail was... Read More ironed out and exactly as I had asked it to be. She was always willing to meet and/or discuss more details and I never felt that she was too busy for my small 100-person wedding. Jessica, the banquets manager was excellent as well. She made sure all of the details were perfect and both checked in with us leading up to and throughout the event. Rob and I are so lucky to have had the PERFECT wedding team to help us on this very special day. I would 110% recommend this property and especially Brianna for your wedding! She is a hard-worker and go-getter and well make sure every aspect of your wedding day is flawless!

Thank you to our Wyndham team!

Reviewed on 10/20/2015 Julie

This venue (the terrace and ballroom on the penthouse) is absolutely stunningly gorgeous. Our guests raved about our wedding "literally on the top of Chicago," and many described it as the most beautiful wedding they’ve ever attended. The food was exceptional – we’ve received... Read More compliments from guests on all three of the food options we served. And most importantly, and a handful of truly wonderful people made sure our night went perfectly. Thank you very much!

Our riverfront winter wedding

Reviewed on 1/18/2014 christine j

We couldn't have picked a better place to have our wedding reception. The staff at Wyndham grand specially Chelsey the banquet manager made everything really easy for us. We are also very particular with the food and the meal they served was so delicious. Even though we had a... Read More buffet set-up, the one they had at the hotel wasn't tacky silver serving dishes, everything was set-up tastefully. And it worked out for the best because the guests loved the food, that a lot of them went back for more. The day we had our wedding was the first snowfall of the season which caused some delays getting back from the ceremony site. But chelsey and her team adjusted quickly to the changes. The venue itself had wonderful glass windows all around that the evening was embraced in Chicago's lovely skyline. The bridal suite was very nice and spacious and we appreciated the treats they had waiting for us in the room. We definitely felt we got our money's worth. We loved it!! Thanks chelsey and to the rest of your awesome staff!

Million dollar view with first class service

Reviewed on 12/30/2013

We just had our reception this past weekend and things couldn't have gone better. Chelsey and her team delivered on everything. The food was outstanding. We heard from multiple guests that it was the best wedding food they had ever had. The new outdoor space only adds to the... Read More venue (we were able to use it with the heaters). A million dollar view with great service and outstanding food. We couldn't be happier.

Guests All Said: "Best Wedding We've Ever Been To!"

Reviewed on 12/30/2013 Cheryl S

We just had our wedding reception (12/28/13) at the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront (formerly Hotel 71). I can honestly say that our experience, as well as our guests' experience was second to none. Chelsey took care of everything from the beginning, and the end product was... Read More spectacular! Chelsey was always very prompt and responsive to our requests, and whenever there was an issue, she worked with the appropriate people to get it resolved as quickly as possible. A few comments we received from our guests were: "best food I've ever had at a wedding," "million dollar views," "late night snacks were awesome!" and "the rooms and views were spectacular." The recent renovations made to the ballroom, cocktail area, and outdoor space were beautiful. And more people than we can count told us, "this was the best wedding I have ever been to." Thank you for a truly awesome wedding weekend! Chelsey, you made our wedding dreams a reality!

Affordable and beautiful and amazing responsiveness/service!

Reviewed on 12/22/2013 Laura K

We used The Wyndham Grand Chicago as our hotel for our wedding block in downtown Chicago. They were by far the cheapest of any legitimate hotel downtown for our wedding in September 2013 and I’ve stayed there before and knew the rooms were incredible. They have a sales person... Read More that is with you from start to finish which was very comforting; Lori helped us with so many questions. She was able to keep us informed of every detail. The Wyndham Grand Chicago had pricing for valet that was in line with other hotels’ pricing from my research. Their location is perfect for any out of town guest wanting a view of the Chicago River and to be right in the middle of things; a close walk to Michigan Avenue, accessible to the CTA train system for airport routes, and in an area that is easy to find cabs. I was nervous at first to commit to filling 80% of the rooms in the agreed upon block but you just have to have a count of how many people would actually stay there before you sign the contract so you make sure you fill that amount; we met our block minimum with no problem. They had champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for my husband and I when we arrived after our wedding which was so thoughtful. They had cribs available for my nieces and nephews, which was extremely helpful. Their lobby is beautiful and is great to have a few people wait around in. They delivered all of the guest packages to their rooms for a small fee but they all were there waiting for them when they got into their rooms. I would recommend The Wyndham Grand Chicago to any couple for their wedding block because of their inexpensive pricing comparably, incredible service, much appreciated reliability, great responsiveness, and beautiful lobby and rooms.

Beautiful venue and great service overall

Reviewed on 12/05/2013 Sonila s

Let me start by saying that I planned our wedding two months before the big day due to unexpected pregnancy. This place exceeded our expectations. It has a great view, Chelsey the sales manager was so helpful and kind that made the whole process go smoothly. We were on a budget,... Read More so I didnt have a wedding planner, however Chelsey took care of many things beyond what i was expecting. The food was also the most delicious food in Chicago. We go out quite often to eat, however the chef at Wyndham is amazing. He impressed all our guest but especially us. His food is so creative and delicious that we went back for our first anniversary to get the same food he made for our wedding. The venue, the food and staff have all 5 stars from us. If you want your day to be beautiful, stress free, and delicious food this is the place to be.

Wedding of our Dreams in the Heart of the City!

Reviewed on 10/29/2013 Norma A

We planned our wedding from Southern California and I was nervous about the overwhelming task. I needn't have worried because Chelsey, the Catering Manager, was amazing to work with. She was not only responsive, detailed and organized, but also an absolute delight to work with -... Read More very professional, accommodating, and enthusiastic every step of the way. The moment I walked into the 39th floor ballroom at Hotel 71 (Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront) during our first site visit, I knew it would be the place to host the best day of my life. It took my breath away! Floor-to-ceiling windows and a 360 degree view of the entire city -- it doesn't get any better than this. We had a very precise vision of what we wanted our wedding to be and Chelsey helped me bring everything to life. Everything on the day of went seamlessly without any mishaps whatsoever. It was awesome. The food is amazing (Chelsey and the Chef both worked with me to customize portions of my menu and cocktail offerings), the service is top-notch and the venue itself is unparalleled. Four months later, we still get compliments on our wedding, and we loved it so much we fully plan to fly in to spend our first anniversary at the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront! If you're looking for a venue for your wedding, stop the search, you've found what you're looking for. Book it. Now.

Amazing!

Reviewed on 10/04/2013 Megan W

I cannot praise this venue enough! The space is breathtaking with floor to ceiling windows and amazing city views. A night wedding captures the space perfectly. Everyone raved about the food and cake. And our coordinator, Chelsey, was with us every step of the way. I can... Read More honestly say our wedding day went on without a hitch and I was able to enjoy every moment. Get married here!

Wedding with a View

Reviewed on 10/02/2013 Laura N

My husband and I had our ceremony and reception at the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront on August 10, 2013. From start to finish, the hotel accommodated our every need. We mostly worked with the the catering manager, Chesley Brunner, who was informative, responsive, and... Read More friendly. She sat with us during our food tasting, and helped us craft a wonderful cocktail hour and dinner menu. The hotel pull off an impressive room-flip during our cocktail hour -- they switched our ceremony set-up to a full-blown reception set-up (including a band) within 50 minutes. It was great to mingle with guests after the ceremony, and then see the amazing room transformation. Our guests appreciated the convenience of having the ceremony, reception, and lodging all in the same location. Not to mention that the location of the hotel itself is stellar. Our guests could take full advantage of all downtown has offer -- shopping, dining, museums, theater, etc. Finally, I can't rave enough about the breathtaking views for our ceremony and reception. We were looking for a unique space, and nothing in our price range compared to the 360-degree floor-to-ceiling windows in the 39th floor ballroom. Between Chicago's impressive architecture and all of that natural light, we had absolutely beautiful wedding photos. If you are even remotely considering having your wedding at the Wyndham, you must go visit the 39th floor ballroom. It will blow you away.

The most amazing view of the city!! Stunning!

Reviewed on 9/19/2013 Tiffani S

I used this venue for my 9/1/2013 wedding and I couldn't be happier. The ballroom is located on the 39th floor of the hotel and is completely floor to ceiling windows, which gives you the most amazing view of the Chicago river and the city. The view is absolutely stunning. If... Read More you are a city person or are looking for an upscale venue then this definitely the place for you. The ballroom is not large and the hotel was originally built as an apartment building, so it doesn't have the traditional ballroom feel. As a side note, the ballroom was featured in the movie, The Dark Knight, as Bruce Wayne's penthouse. The room itself has a capcity of about a 130ish people. My wedding was small and we came nowhere near the max number so that was not a problem for me. The same space is used for the ecermony and reception and there is a smaller side area that is used for the cocktail hour, so the space is really convenient. The staff is super professional and freindly. Chelsey Brunner, the wedding coordinator at the hotel is amazing and extremely helpful. She is willing to assist in any way possible and is a great resource (even better than my hired wedding planner)! The food is beautifully presented and delicious! The chef is willing to work with you to accommodate your specific food tastes and requests. The hotel staff is super helpful and went out of their way to make sure that I was taken care of on my special day. This place is definitley a great value for the money and my guests we so impressed by the view and the space. I felt like a queen and I definitely have the people at the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront to thank for that! I can't say enough good things about this venue and my guests can't stop raving about how lovely everything was. The only thing that I am sad about is that it had to end...

Wonderful Wedding @ Grand Hyatt Riverfront, Chelsey is the best!

Reviewed on 9/17/2013 Ben K

We had our wedding at the former Hotel 71. Everything was amazing. All of our vendors were great, but the nice surprise was Chelsey from the hotel who was not on a pleasure to work with, but made the experience easier and equally special. Dozens of guests afterwards commented... Read More on how much they enjoyed the wedding, a few claiming the service the best they'd had. Highest of compliments to the chef as well! -Kaplans

Stasic Wedding 9/7/2013

Reviewed on 9/12/2013 vanessa c

We had the BEST service from Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront. Our contact person, Chelsey Brunner, was there to answer any questions I might have (no matter how unimportant they were). She made my wedding go smoothly and worry free. I wish the night did not go as fast as it did... Read More and we could re-live that night all over again. I also want to mention that the suite we were given for the night was huge and unexpected. I assumed it would be small, but we were pleasantly surprised. Overall we recommend the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront and Chelsey Brunner for a downtown city wedding.

Myers Lane Wedding

Reviewed on 8/25/2013 Melanie L

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront is an amazing place with great views for a wedding reception. Our guests were amazed when they got to the 39th Floor. We would recommend this site for wedding receptions to anyone. Great central location in Chicago for everything you'd need or... Read More want to do or see. The catering manager and staff were very helpful and accomodating. We got so many compliments on everything. The chef personnally introduced himself and spoke with us on several occasions and the food is amazing!

Hebrew/Hardy Wedding

Reviewed on 8/15/2013 Emily H

I could not have been happier with Hotel 71. The staff was super friendly and helped out with anything we needed. The rooms were nice and welcoming. Chelsey was phenomenal with helping my mother and I with items along the way. She kept us in the loop with renovations and things... Read More going on at the hotel. If we had questions she immediately answered and helped us out. I am so glad we chose to have our wedding at Hotel 71. Our guests are still talking about how awesome our wedding was. The view from the ballroom is spectacular and the food had amazing flavor just like it did at our first tasting.I loved everything about it and I could not have asked for a better place to have my wedding. It ended up being PERFECT and more! Hotel 71 is amazing!

Perfect!!

Reviewed on 8/14/2013 Shannon

Chelsey did an amazing job bringing mine and my husbands vision to life! We had so many compliments after the wedding! Beautiful setting! Amazing food! And the best coordinator!

Wedding Planned from Overseas

Reviewed on 8/12/2013 Jaclyn W

Considering I was planning this wedding a year out all the way from Australia, I was worried this was going to be a difficult task! However thanks to Chelsey, who was absolutely wonderful, my whole reception at Wyndham Grand (Hotel 71) was perfect! Chelsey was so responsive to... Read More all my emails and calls and very speedy in her replies. We had a few bits and pieces that we hand-made for our centrepieces as well as special beers from Australia we needed, and she went out of her way to ensure these were set up as planned. After all the preplanning and finally arriving at the hotel, the front desk/reception staff were so accommodating in helping us organise our guests for the following day. I can’t say enough good things about my experience and my reception. Chelsey was very professional and the hotel staff were responsive and more than accommodating for our big day. And of course, the views from the penthouse are worth every cent! If you are looking for a grand venue that will wow your guests right in the middle of the city, you can rely on Wyndham to pull it off!

City Wedding

Reviewed on 8/06/2013 Melissa P

Our wedding was on July 20, 2013 and we got married at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront with Chelsey as our catering manager. The moment we first viewed the ballroom we knew it was the perfect place for our wedding. It has a gorgeous view and allows you to take in the city... Read More from the 39th floor. Chelsey and her staff are very well organized and made sure every detail was perfect. Chelsey and her staff went above and beyond our expectations setting up our space beautifully. Everything went perfect because of them. I highly recommend having your wedding at this venue.

Our ideal wedding venue

Reviewed on 3/26/2013 Kristi N

Hotel 71 turned out to be the ideal wedding venue for us. We had about 125 guests at our ceremony, cocktail hour and reception on the 39th floor on February 16th. While touring the top floor of the hotel, we instantly knew that it was exactly what we had imagined. The staff at... Read More the hotel was so easy to work with, very quick at returning phone calls and emails, and made the decision very easy to book our wedding there. During the planning process, a bride and groom need to make a LOT of decisions. Chelsey Brunner, the Catering Sales Manager who we worked with most, made these decisions very easy by telling us what she has seen workd (and not work)in past weddings. She also helped bring to our attention small details that we wouldn’t have planned for otherwise (like “will your DJ have an extra speaker for the cocktail hour?”) Hotel 71 cooperates with Alliance Bakery, so our wedding cake was included when we booked our wedding. Chelsey was so helpful in coordinating with the bakery when we asked to have a sweets table set up as well. I made a lot of trips to the hotel to see where the uplighting would look best, choose linen colors, and plan the layout of our cocktail hour, and Chelsey made herself available every time. The weekend of our wedding came before we knew it! We had boxes and boxes of stuff to be set up on that day (a card box, a photo booth with props, sweets table platters, signs, place cards, table numbers, champagne flutes, etc). The bellmen were so incredible and always smiling when we asked them to help us move the boxes. The staff who set up our wedding knew exactly what to do with the contents in each box and made the venue look better than we could have imagined. When we checked in, our suite was waiting for us with Champagne, delicious chocolate covered strawberries, and a hand-written note from Chelsey. After the Wyndham purchased Hotel 71, they have been undergoing some renovations, but besides some exposed drywall along the hallways, we never would have known it. Our suite was spotless, had an incredible view of the river, and was the perfect place to call home for the weekend of our wedding. It was even spacious enough to have 2 hairdressers, a makeup artist, 6 bridesmaids, 2 mothers, and a grandmother spend time together while getting ready for the big day. Our ceremony fell right around sunset, so we had many compliments on how gorgeous the venue was during that time. During cocktail hour, the staff flipped the ceremony room to our reception room. We were able to sneak in for a few minutes before the guests were invited in and noticed the great job they did making the room look perfect in very little time. During dinner, the photo booth was set up, the gift table was turned into a sweets table, gifts sent up to our suite, and each transition happened as seamlessly as the next. Our guests really seemed to enjoy their meals (prepared by Hoyt’s – the restaurant on the first floor at Hotel 71), and then the party started! From beginning to end, Chelsey was on top of every single detail and we can’t thank her enough for her hard work and the fantastic job she did at making our day memorable. Our experience definitely wouldn’t have been the same without her. Because of the incredible customer service, the atmosphere that the staff creates for you, and the views from the 39th floor, we would highly recommend Hotel 71 to anyone who wants to host an incredible wedding in a great city venue!

Intimate & Stunning

Reviewed on 12/28/2012 Katie B

If you're looking for an intimate and stunning wedding venue, this is your place. It is smaller than most ballrooms and provides panoramic views of the city (which at night, are truly breathtaking). It may seem expensive, but the views should be your decoration and therefore,... Read More not much else is needed! The on-site rooms are also a plus for your guests, especially because their rooms there are nicer than an average hotel, but the same cost. Small weddings with lots of out-of-towners? Hotel 71 is a no brainer!