Date: Saturday October 6, 2018
Attire: Somewhat Casual (We want you to feel comfortable enough to toss a horseshoe, but shorts or jeans are probably too comfortable.)
The wedding and reception are in the backyard of Brian's family's home (known as the Cherry Hut) on Elk Lake, in northern Michigan. There will be a short, intimate ceremony followed by an evening of celebrating with games, music, drinks, tacos, and more.
If you'll be in town by Friday evening, join us at McGee's 72 for drinks and hors d'oeuvres from 7:30-9:30pm.
Elk Rapids is situated in northern Michigan on Grand Traverse Bay, between Lake Michigan and Elk Lake.
Transportation is a little tricky in the area. Lyft and Uber are available in Traverse City (25 minutes from venue) but very sparse in Elk Rapids (5 minutes from venue). If you're able to drive or rent a car, you'll probably be glad to have a vehicle.
If you're planning to drive, route your trip:
to Elk Rapids
Flying into Traverse City
Traverse City (TVC) has a small airport that will likely be the most convenient travel option if you won't be driving. Traverse City is less than 30 minutes away from Elk Rapids. The airport offers rental cars, or you can call a local taxi to get you to your hotel/AirBnb.
Flying into Grand Rapids (2.5 hours from Elk Rapids) or Detroit (4 hours from Elk Rapids) and renting a car to get the rest of the way would also work!
We highly encourage groups of friends and families to look into sharing an AirBnb in the Elk Rapids area.
Hotels in Traverse City are another option, but keep in mind that if you don't have a vehicle, getting between Elk Rapids and Traverse City may be inconvenient.
We don't have a block of hotel rooms reserved, but we've heard good things about:
Cherry Tree Inn & Suites (Lakefront)
Hotel Indigo (Downtown)
Holiday Inn Express & Suites (Just outside Traverse City, on the way to Elk Rapids)
* Michigan weather in the fall can be unpredictable, and though we will have a tent on hand if we need it, we don't have a backup indoor venue. Consider bringing a jacket and an umbrella just in case!
* We want everyone to get home safe after a day of celebrating. We've lined up a driver that will be available to pick people up before the ceremony on Saturday, and then drive people home that night after the festivities. Please fill out this form by September 14 if you'd like a ride to the wedding!
* One of our favorite places in the area is Short's Brewery. If you've got time to taste some great local beers, check out the Short's Pull Barn in Elk Rapids, or the Short's Brew Pub in nearby Bellaire, MI. Our favorite is Soft Parade! (If you don't make it to Short's, don't worry--there will be no shortage of their beer at the wedding!)
* It'll be apple-picking season up north! Get your fix for all things fall and head over to Rennie Orchards for some U-pick apples, pumpkins, maybe a hay ride?
* Turn our wedding into an excuse to see beautiful northern Michigan! Traverse City is only 20 minutes away and is a destination of its own. Sleeping Bear Dunes, Mackinac Island, Petosky, and Charlevoix are all fun spots within a couple hours drive!