Boston Based Funk, Soul, and R&B Band

East Coast Soul is an elite, award winning funk, soul, and R&B ensemble based in Boston, Massachusetts. We are more than a band. We are a collective of Boston, New York, and New England's finest musicians focused on bringing an unparalleled level of energy and style to your event. A collection of Berklee professors, alumni, and other elite performers, we have curated a timeless repertoire through years of performance experience and proudly present it with our own unique, soulful style and energy.

Instruments

Guitar, Keyboard, Organ, Percussion, Piano, Saxophone, Trombone, Trumpet, Violin, Vocals

Classical, Country, Dance, Disco, Folk, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, Latin, World Music

After Party, Rehearsals + Parties, Ceremony, Reception, Wedding

Live Music, MC Services, Recorded Music, Sound Equipment, Music, Equipment, Rentals + Equipment

Surreal Experience

Reviewed on 7/14/2015

My fiance was not sure about the idea of getting a band for our wedding. She was content with a DJ and I really had to sell her on the idea that a band was the way to go. It was, her words not mine, "the best decision I have ever persuaded her to buy into". When I was trying... Read More to find the best band that fit our budget (as young, recent college graduates), East Coast Soul rose above the rest. The band was responsive to emails (typically the same-day I would send one), upfront about what they could provide, and open to negotiation once we discussed our wedding budget. They were the most comfortable, down-to-earth band that I dealt with during the "recruiting process". The weeks leading up to the wedding, East Coast Soul worked with myself and my fiance to provide us with a customized wedding experience fit for our venue and our crowd. We filled out a survey to give the band a general idea of what we were looking for during the wedding, and the band connected with us and the venue shortly after filling out the survey to iron-out specific details on the night. Given the fact that I had been to one previous wedding and my fiance had never been to one, we were desperate for assistance. East Coast Soul talked us through what the day of the wedding would look like, and were comfortable to make suggestions and recommendations (about both the day and the music selection) that would help prepare us for what was to come. By the time we arrived at Bittersweet Farm for the wedding, the band was already there setting up for the event. The wide variety of music played (from classics to contemporary) was phenomenal for the diverse crowd. The music was AWESOME. I cannot tell you the number of people who came up to me during the night, and days after the event talking to me about how "this was the best wedding band they have ever heard". The crowd was ALIVE and even people who had to go home because of work the next day stayed until the very end. Everyone from younger relatives to our friends in their 20's to parents and grandparents were on the dance floor until the very end! Our wedding was truly something special, and I cannot think of any other band that would have fit our wedding better than East Coast Soul. It was truly everything that we could have asked for...and then some.

The perfect choice

Reviewed on 10/06/2013 Malu T

We could not be happier with the band we selected for our wedding in Maine. As an Atlanta-based couple, it was challenging to research vendors for our destination wedding from home, but after scouring the internet for a band that had the soul/old- and new-school funk vibe that... Read More we wanted, we were so fortunate to happen upon East Coast Soul's website. While we were impressed with their video clips and their extensive repertoire, we knew that we were still taking a chance on a band that we did not have the opportunity to see live until our wedding. Further, ECS typically performs with at least a seven-piece ensemble, but our wedding venue had restrictions that didn't allow us to exceed a 4-piece band. Needless to say, we were a little nervous about having the full sound to keep our guests energized. Sean, the musical director, reassured us that they would still be able to create a sound that would meet our needs. We took a leap of faith and hired them. They exceeded our every expectation! The two vocalists, Eron and Sophia, astounded us and our guests with their pipes and the soul with which they sang every song-- their voices were astounding. Clifton had quite a breadth of skills on the piano, as he performed some challenging classical pieces that we had requested for our ceremony. Sean, who was also the drummer, was great and easy to work with from the beginning of the wedding planning phases. The band members' clear passion for their music perfectly complemented the vibe of abundant love and bliss of togetherness and unity that characterized our entire wedding weekend. Everyone was ecstatic about the music. I might add, there were many professional musicians among our guests, and they were all supremely impressed with the skill and groove of this smaller ensemble that had the intensity and full sound of any larger group we'd ever heard. They had an almost tangible chemistry. We were also fortunate to be able to hang out with three of the band members during our small, casual and intimate impromptu after-party in the lounge of our hotel. Not only are they amazing musicians, but they are absolutely wonderful people. I am happy to have made three new friends. Importantly, as my husband and I are an interracial couple with an extremely diverse family and group of friends (ethnically, politically, life journeys etc.), we were delighted by East Coast Soul's own diversity that quite perfectly reflected us, and what we stand for and cherish. We believe that the unity in their diversity is an integral part of what makes them such an incredible band. We hope to hear them perform again at some point, and we are looking forward to studio recordings that they might be releasing in the near future. Bottom line-- you absolutely cannot go wrong with this band. You and all of your guests will be talking about the band at your wedding for a long, long time.

East Coast Soul - Best Wedding Band Ever

Reviewed on 7/29/2013

By hiring East Coast Soul for your wedding you are 100% guaranteeing that you and your guests are going to be at one of the best parties ever! We recently had a barn wedding in Maine and these guys exceeded my expectations (and I have high expectations). Their talented... Read More guitarist played all of our requested acoustic ceremony music which really set a peaceful tone. They then handled our cocktail hour music and then really came to shine for the reception and dancing. The band met all of our customized needs with attention to detail. We had the full band playing and I have to say the horns really took things to the next level. My number one goal for the wedding was to make sure the dance floor was full with energy and this certainly happened. They have an amazing set list and people could not get enough! Well done east Coast Soul - thank you!

Reviewed on 7/09/2017 Allyson C

There are no words to describe the “awesomeness” that is East Coast Soul! They are a hurricane of energy, talent and great music. They are more than a band, they are vibrant performers that are able to sense the tone of the room and play exactly what’s needed every moment of... Read More your wedding. By the end of the night, the members of ECS were our friends that were seamlessly part of our wedding! They brought everyone to the dance floor…I mean EVERYONE and played songs that were loved by all generations present. Throughout the course of the night I had multiple people tell me it was the best wedding band they had ever seen and were so happy to be part of the experience. ECS were great to work with throughout the entire process. They were super organized and helpful and even went so far as to learn a song that my father wrote for our dance together! I have never seen my dad so touched and overjoyed. If there is any debate in your mind between getting a DJ or getting a band, do yourself a favor…stop worrying, and hire these guys! They are worth it and will not disappoint. East Coast Soul is one of the reasons our wedding was a hit! They brought the love, energy and life to our party.

Reviewed on 7/04/2017 Lily G

These musicians crushed it at our wedding! So many of our guests came up to us throughout the night to tell us how fabulous the band was. They were so easy to work with leading up to the wedding day, and they were happy to tailor the event to exactly how we wanted it. They were... Read More so energetic, talented, and passionate about their music, and they had everyone on the dance floor all night. We couldn't recommend them enough! We are so appreciative that they made the trip from Boston to NY to help make our wedding day so special!

Reviewed on 6/26/2017 Jamie L

ECS was everything we wanted...high energy, professional and the farthest thing from a "wedding band" sound! They were easy to work with and their communication was top notch!

Reviewed on 6/13/2017 Megan W

East Coast Soul was amazing! They were so organized during the planning process and always provided thorough and helpful information. On the wedding day, they were incredible! Our guests are still talking about how much fun they had and how amazing the band was. Our dance floor... Read More was jam packed all night long! They are so talented and have so much energy! I highly recommend them to anyone for a future event!

Reviewed on 6/08/2017 Erin D

I cannot speak highly enough of East Coast Soul. The music for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception were each amazing. It was so simple to have them take care of alll of the wedding music. They were able to do more modern songs for the ceremony, jazz for the cocktail hour,... Read More and 60's and Sinatra for the reception. The songs that the band picked had everyone on the dance for the entire recption! It was SO MUCH FUN! I got so many compliments on the band throughout the evening. They were professional throughout the planning process.; the company made booking and planning easy. East Coast Soul was one of the best vendors from our wedding, hands down!

Reviewed on 1/04/2017 Stephanie C

We had East Coast Soul perform at our wedding this past week. My husband, I, and all of our guests cannot say enough great things about the band. The experience was great starting with our initial conversations with Art and Sean from the band. Planning was so easy and... Read More stress-free even when planning from across the country. They were responsive to emails and calls throughout the entire planning process. They made sure to understand exactly the type of experience we wanted for the wedding. The day of the wedding started with an acoustic duo during cocktail hour. We already started getting rave reviews from our guests about how great their performance was. We were BLOWN AWAY by the reception performance. From the very first song our dance floor was packed. I have never been to a wedding where there was no one in their seats. Every age from 10 to 90 loved the music. The band kept us having fun and dancing throughout the entire night. I am still getting contacted from guests to find out the name of the band and to share their compliments. I would not hesitate to book East Coast Soul for a wedding reception. They are truly the whole package. I only hope that I can see them again at a friend/family's wedding in the future!

Reviewed on 12/13/2016 Yael C

I can't say enough about how incredible East Coast Soul was at our wedding. From the first conversation with Sean, I knew they would be awesome. Sean, Arthur and the whole band could not have been more flexible, amenable and just awesome to deal with from day one. And the... Read More music!! They were awesome! So much energy! Such an incredible set list! The dance floor was PACKED the entire night. Five stars is not enough for East Coast Soul. We really can't recommend them highly enough.

Reviewed on 12/10/2016 Katherine S

We booked East Coast Soul - Torrence and Traci (also known as the Soulsville Ensemble) and had an 8 piece band for our 8/27/2016 wedding (Venue: Old Sturbridge Village). Our package included a 2 piece jazz ensemble for our cocktail hour. We opted for recorded music during our... Read More ceremony and had ECS provide the mics/sound. Booking this band was by far a game changer for our wedding and one of the best decisions we made!!! People were on their feet from the minute our reception started until the end of the night! We received SO MANY compliments on the band. One person commented that before he rounded the corner the song playing sounded so much like the original recording that he didn't realize they were performing it. I will admit that I originally had thought we should consider a DJ for our wedding to save money, however, when we went to a friend's wedding one month after we got engaged, it was clear that their live band made the night unforgettable. The next day we scoured reviews of Boston area bands and booked this group based on reviews and sound clips from their website alone. It's a big investment, but 100% worth it!!! ECS was very organized and thorough in walking through the night with us. We worked with Art in organizing our details for the day of and Torrence did an awesome job as our emcee with the night running smoothly. My husband felt strongly that we should let them "perform what they do best" rather than be specific about songs and they nailed it! We had so much fun dancing the night away and the energy in the room was clear. We continue to receive compliments on the band to this day! Don't hesitate, book ECS!!

Reviewed on 11/10/2016 Jocelyn B

If these guys are available for your wedding you have to book them, they are the best! I think hiring East Coast Soul for our wedding band was one of our best decisions and something that our wedding guests continue to talk about months later. They are not your average wedding... Read More band, they have funk and soul and will have your guests dancing for the whole night. They're not just a band, they're performers and they're very musically talented! Choosing to have ECS perform our first dance and parent dance songs instead of having the records was also a very special experience. In addition to putting on such a great performance, they were great to work with throughout the planning process. They were organized, responsive, and overall just enjoyable to talk to and work with. I really felt like they cared about our wedding and wanted to make it the best day possible, and it was!

Reviewed on 11/09/2016 Julia M

East Coast Soul is amazing! They were very professional and so easy to work with! Extremely easy going and adaptable to unforeseen schedule changes. They absolutely blew us away with their performance! They played with such energy and enthusiasm and had our guests of all ages... Read More dancing the entire time! We would recommend them to everyone! We can't wait to hear them play again at friend's weddings!

Reviewed on 11/07/2016 James S

These guys are truly amazing! They kept the dance floor packed all night and several of our guests approached us to say how exceptional they were. I wanted to sing to my now wife and they helped me coordinate a surprise and backing vocals/music which was really awesome. Very... Read More organized and easy to work with!

Reviewed on 10/29/2016 Tasha B

Just outstanding. East Coast Soul is as good as it gets. Easy to work/plan with and they had everyone up and dancing the entire night.

Reviewed on 10/26/2016

“WOW! This is the best wedding band!!!!” That’s what I heard all night from our guests! This band has soul, spirited passion, tremendous talent, professional communication, and thoughtful kindness! ECS was exceptionally amazing! My fiancé and I got engaged in late May with a... Read More wedding set in October, so we thought it might be a stretch when we found ECS online and read the marvelous reviews to actually get them as our wedding band. I emailed with our inquiry and legit 15 minutes later Sean had texted me reaching out and we were booking them 24 hours later. It felt like fate! As a part time wedding photographer and caterer, I can attest that this sort of quality and professionalism is rare in the wedding industry. The acclaim and praise you read is 100% legit. The energy and dance moves of James Brown with heart of Gladys Knight; they are full out aerobic like Tina Turner & her back-up singers! We had a list of songs we liked (some early, some later additions) and the band thoughtfully played them. They learned a song requested by my mother in law for the groom/mother of groom song. My father was over the moon to hear some of his all-time favorite hits and all of our Boston Red Sox fans belted out “Sweet Caroline” with the band. Pretty incredible when you have band members upping the energy on the dance floor too! We absolutely loved it! There wasn’t one song that we didn’t love and the band was the pulse of our wedding. Even though each member of the band makes it look easy, musical talent and range like this is no easy thing. Truly impressive talent from each musician and I would not hesitate to recommend them. On top of all that, the band found an old ring that was lost during the wedding from a groomsman’s pocket and thoughtfully made sure it got put somewhere safely and responsively communicated all of it. We appreciated all the reviews when we came across ECS and if there is one inkling of doubt on where to spend your money on the event, rest assured you will not regret hiring this talented group of professionals. Hoping I get invited to an event where they are playing!

Reviewed on 10/16/2016 Alex W

We can’t say enough about how amazing ECS was. Our guests were raving about the band and we had so much fun dancing up a storm. With all the stresses of planning a wedding, it was such a relief to know we didn’t have to worry about the band showing up and keeping the fun going... Read More all night. It was so easy working with Art and Sean throughout the process and we were incredibly impressed how on top of things they were. We could not recommend ECS more strongly!

Reviewed on 10/16/2016 Lauren G

Just attended a wedding with east coast soul and they were one of, if not the best, wedding bands I've ever heard! Hoping that the band we booked for our upcoming wedding is as good!

Reviewed on 10/07/2016 Meghan M

Hiring East Coast Soul was easily the best decision that we made for our wedding. They put together an incredibly talented ensemble; the vocalist Torrence and Traci were particularly impressive. They had my 82 year old grandmother, my 9 year old cousin, and everyone in between... Read More on the dance floor for the ENTIRE reception. We gave them a little direction on the type of songs that we liked (Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, etc) and they felt out the crowd and put together an incredible set list. Now I just need to convince a friends to hire ECS for their wedding, so we can spend another night on the dance floor with them!

Reviewed on 9/17/2016 Amanda F

East Coast Soul was one of the BEST decisions we made for our wedding day. They had practically everyone on the dance floor including our so called “non-dancers” at the wedding. Their energy was unbelievable and we cannot recommend them highly enough.

Reviewed on 9/15/2016 Sophie F

My husband and I come from two music loving families, so we knew that we wanted to have a live band at our wedding. East Coast Soul totally blew us and our guests away! The musicians are SO talented and professional. We requested some interesting things for our processional and... Read More first dance (i.e., Mumford and Sons...totally not their genre!) and they did such amazing job putting their own spin on it! They created the perfect set list and by the end of the night every. single. person. was on the dance floor for the last song. Our guests are still telling us how much they loved the wedding, and especially the band! Thank you East Coast Soul!

Reviewed on 9/02/2016 kate r

We saw these guys 2 years ago at a friend's wedding and they were amazing. We obviously took their card and within months booked them for our wedding. Now, a million weddings later (with a million other bands at each of those weddings), they are still by far the best band we... Read More have ever seen. Having them play at our wedding MADE the reception. They were incredible and we can't wait to see them again at another friend's wedding!

Reviewed on 8/24/2016 Sarah B

I've never heard so many guests at a wedding exclaim, "this is the best wedding band I've ever heard!" I've never seen my husband or his father - both self-proclaimed non-dancers - having so much fun. East Coast Soul did an amazing job selecting songs that kept our dance floor... Read More full right until it was time for guests to head home. They accepted song requests in real-time, nailed a really distinct cover for our first dance, did the ceremony music beautifully and brought an amazing energy to the event. They were composed and well prepared with announcements during the evening and were also incredibly organized throughout the entire planning process - the most organized of any vendor I worked with, sending automated forms to gather song preferences (in which they have a diverse offering), proactively scheduling calls with me to review the information, and being INCREDIBLY flexible with a very difficult venue (island with limited transportation and resources). Don't underestimate how valuable it is to have a vendor that's proactive about planning with you, in addition to great talent! Like my guests remarked, I felt East Coast Soul was the best wedding band I've heard. Don't hesitate to book them!

Reviewed on 8/22/2016 Cecilia H

Amazing band, so easy and professional to work with, and me and my guests stayed on the dance floor the ENTIRE night. The timing of our wedding was thrown off so the band performed their set straight through--it was incredible! My family is set on hiring them again for the next... Read More family wedding. Hire them! They created a high energy, fun party all night long.

Reviewed on 8/19/2016 Rachael P

ECS is amazing. When I first got in touch with them, my now husband wanted a DJ and I wanted a band, ECS was willing to accommodate both of us and play a DJ set for the last hour of our reception. As we got closer to the day, my husband was willing to go 100% band, and we are SO... Read More glad we did because ECS was incredible. We had a ten piece band lead by Terrence, Tracy, and Eliza and our guests were dancing from the moment they started playing until the very last song, where my now-husband and I ended up on people's shoulders in a giant dance circle- words don't do it justice. ECS was also playing our ceremony and cocktail hour (which is fantastic they offer each service for marginal additional costs). The timing of our event moved around due to weather and another vendor being late and ECS handled it perfectly. I spoke with vendors in both the New York and Boston area and am so glad I picked ECS. I have nothing but good things to say about ECS- they are attentive, talented, and a pleasure to work with! Hire them.

Sean Davies

Hello! My name is Sean Davies. I am the founder and musical director of East Coast Soul. I am an alumni of Berklee College of Music and Boston University, and thrilled to be able to work with the incredible musicians of East Coast Soul week after week for so much of the year. I also feel fortunate to call them all close friends of mine. We look forward to hearing from you about your wedding plans!