Award winning photography

The only photographer in Massachusetts to have received the Knot 'Best of Weddings' award nine times! Unobtrusive is the word I think best describes my style of wedding photography. This once-in-a-lifetime event should be photographed quietly....without the photographer dictating what should happen. The result is images that are honest and distinctive.......Every pictures tells a story. I'd love to tell yours!

Artistic, Documentary, Dramatic, Lifestyle, Modern

Day After Session, Engagement, Trash The Dress

Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Weddings, Online Proofing, Digital Files, Printed Enlargements, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing

Bow2008 09
Bow2007

Waltham, MA Boston & New England (781) 891-3579

Reviewed on 6/10/2017

This is the second wedding in which we asked Jim Canole to be our family photographer, and with great reason. At the first wedding, several years ago, Jim was outstanding, and the wedding pictures were used by the venue as promotional given their exceptional quality. Our... Read More expectations for this current wedding were exceeded by Jim! From pre-wedding planning, to coordination before and during the wedding, to complete capture of all aspects from "spontaneous" to planned, to ensuring that all attendees and every corner of the family and friends present are remembered, to being "present" yet transparent at the event, to "owning" every aspect and detail, to prompt review of photo's, to an easily navigatable website that allows rapid and easy viewing and downloading of high definition pictures, to a beautiful display to a total ease and delight in working with him, Jim is a "best of the best". For cost, value, product, quality and for your most important life cycle events we would not consider any other photographer. Jim Canole is beyond 5 stars!

Reviewed on 1/07/2017 Lea M

Jim was fantastic! We were recommended Jim by a family friend and we are so glad we chose him! We first spoke with him over the phone for the initial consult. A month or so before the wedding we met in person and Jim took the time to go over in detail the timeline for the day... Read More and if there were any specific shots we'd like him to capture. He made a lot of helpful suggestions that we had never thought of, such a lightening and the timing of the moving pieces of the day. When our big day came Jim was there on time ready to go! Our wedding was in December in Vermont and I wanted formal shots taken outside since we had such a gorgeous backdrop, and Jim moved quickly (so we werent out in the cold for very long) and they are STUNNING!!!! I couldnt imagine them to be any better. The photos of all our friends and family during the reception enjoying themselves has been wonderful to see. So many of the small special moments that happen organically throughout the night Jim was able to capture. Not only is Jim's work beautiful, but he is prompt, sending us our digitals only a few weeks later! We still haven't decided what our favorites are that we want to print, there are so many to choose from! My parents are still enjoying looking through them all even a month after the wedding has past. We are thrilled to have such beautiful memories. THANK YOU JIM! Lea & Steve

Reviewed on 10/03/2016 Elise C

As we were planning our wedding friends kept telling us that having the right photographer is difficult but essential for the day. At the time I really didn't understand what they meant, but now that the day is over I completely understand. As the bride/groom of the wedding... Read More the day FLIES by in ways you can't even describe. You want someone who will not only capture the moments of the day but also the FEELING of the day. Jim Canole did just that! Any photos could show you the day, and many of the photos friends took on their phones show the events. Jim however captured the emotions of the day as they were happening. As a result of his PHENOMENAL skill capturing those emotions, we can truly relive the best day of our lives. Jim out did himself. You can see in each of our photos that Jim cared as much about our wedding day as we did. If we ever got the chance to do the day all over again, Jim would be the first person I called to hire.

Reviewed on 7/20/2017 Geoff M

Jim was absolutely amazing. We looked at a lot of photographers before meeting with Jim, and fell in love with his style. He's great at capturing the moments, and really has an eye for weddings. Honestly, he was so good at his job, I forget he was even there at times. If you're... Read More looking for a fantastic photographer, look no further!

Reviewed on 7/05/2017 Jen D

Jim was awesome. He took really great photos of my husband and me and of everyone who attended. We have some amazing candid shots in addition to our wonderful formal shots. He worked really well with the kids in the wedding party and got them all have fun taking pictures. He... Read More delivered our gallery of pictures so quickly which we really appreciated. We really loved the whole experience. I would definitely recommend Jim.

Reviewed on 6/24/2017 Denise S

Jim did an amazing job on our wedding photos and was incredibly professional from start to finish! He had a great mix of formals and candids and his attention to small details unique to our wedding made the pictures all the more special. Highly recommended! If there is anything... Read More you want to get right for a wedding, it's the photos you will look at years from now and I am very glad we chose Jim to document our special day.

Reviewed on 1/08/2017 Peter Z

Jim was a pleasure to work with from start to finish, and our pictures turned out great. We highly recommend him.

Reviewed on 1/06/2017

Jim Canole did an amazing job! Best in the business. 5 Starr's. (Disregard mistake previous). Jim deserves 10 Stars. He did the best candid photos and came to be highly recommended.

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Vanessa L

Jim photographed our wedding in June and he did an amazing job! He was very personable and professional, and the photos he took were beyond our expectations. My husband and I decided to not get a videographer for our wedding so we wanted a photographer that could document our... Read More wedding day and tell our story through stills, and that is exactly what Jim did. When we received our photos (which was less than 10 days!) my husband and I were able to relive our wedding day and now we will be able to every time we look at these photos. Jim was amazing at photographing those candid moments and a lot of the time we found ourselves asking, "When did he even take that photo?" It was like he was everywhere all at once but doing so ever so discreetly. My husband and I highly recommend Jim Canole Photography and we are so happy and grateful that we chose him for our wedding!

Reviewed on 10/07/2016 Michelle M

There is only one chance for your wedding photos to be what you dreamed and hoped they would be. With Jim Canole, they exceeded every expectation. Every important moment was captured with the most authentic facial reactions, in a photojournalistic, but also artistic way. The... Read More beauty of so many photos has taken our breath away. Every person that has seen all the photos has been in awe of how well the day's emotions have been captured. With every photo, we re-live that exact moment of the day. It was a very long day from getting ready in the hotel, to the church for the ceremony, to formal photos in a park, to the cocktail hour, dinner, and dancing. Jim was constantly working, but was never intrusive. He stayed beyond what was required so all the right shots could be taken and nothing would be missed. He was a pleasure to work with – easy, a great listener, knowledgeable, and a true professional. I highly recommend him to anyone wishing to memorialize the best day of their lives. Thank you, Jim! We could not be more pleased.

Reviewed on 10/06/2016 Maia U

Jim was great! He was flexible and accommodating — very careful to listen to what we wanted and envisioned for the day — and extremely professional, always very responsive by phone/email, and always on time! We loved that he was able to get creative with us on the day with our... Read More bride/groom shots, and really take advantage of our slightly unusual setting (Mount Auburn Cemetery). We were definitely very happy with the end results! His rates are definitely very reasonable, too. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Reviewed on 10/03/2016 Cait O

Jim was just excellent. We booked with him a year before our wedding based on other reviews, and we were not disappointed. Jim was a consummate professional, on top of scheduling pre-wedding calls and took the time to understand what we were looking for. Day of, he easily... Read More managed our 16 person wedding party, was patient when I was uncomfortable having my photo taken and hit every special photo request we had (plus some others we didn't know we'd want). Lastly and most importantly, when we got our photos back they were amazing! I don't know how Jim managed to remain in the background during our ceremony and reception yet not miss a single moment. We couldn't be happier, and we'd book with Jim again.

Reviewed on 9/26/2016 Christine C

Jim is such a terrific photographer. We were so happy with how all of our pictures came out! His candid shots are amazing and he's like a photographic ninja in the sense that you don't even notice he's there taking the pictures, yet somehow manages to capture the best shots!... Read More Some people may hire multiple photographers to ensure that no shot is missed, but I guarantee you that Jim will not miss a single shot. You will not be disappointed in hiring Jim, he is a phenomenal photographer and a pleasure to work with!

Reviewed on 9/19/2016 Suzanne C

Jim took some stunning photos of our engagement and wedding day. From the first meeting for the engagement shoot, we could tell he was personable, enthusiastic, and easy to work with. We are a bit difficult to photograph, but Jim was able to get some flattering poses. On... Read More wedding day he made sure to capture the specific moments that we discussed as well as many candid moments during the reception while being unobtrusive, and even climbed a wall to get a full overhead shot of all the wedding guests and party. His style is photojournalistic, so there isn't a lot of focus on still shots of wedding items, but he will cover the basics. We have been enjoying looking at the pictures showing us the good time and happy memories we and our guests experienced. Thank you Jim!

Reviewed on 8/21/2016 Katrina M

Jim is a fantastic photographer. His work speaks for itself. He captures really amazing moments and takes beautiful photographs. Jim was very easy to work with from our pre-wedding meeting through delivery of the photos via USB + the cloud. Highly recommended.

Reviewed on 8/21/2016 Coco C

Jim is the consummate professional---incredibly thorough and organized. He has a keen eye for special moments. I cannot thank him enough for capturing the heart and soul of my wedding. It was truly the happiest day of my life and Jim was instrumental in forever crystallizing... Read More it through his amazing photographs that walked the line between testimony and artistry.

Reviewed on 8/17/2016

Jim was extremely thorough and engaged throughout the entire process. He got all of the key pictures but also a lot of creative ones - these are the ones we keep going back to to admire! He's great with candids, and really has a photojournalistic eye; we really felt like we... Read More relived the event through the photos.

Reviewed on 8/13/2016 MJ C

Jim is more than an excellent photographer. He is also a patient, kind, and considerate friend. We felt so lucky to have met Jim just one month before our wedding day. He offered us attractive price compared with other 5 star photographers. Jim also shot our engagement pictures... Read More in downtown Boston two weeks before our wedding. He is very comfortable to work with. He is able to make us relaxed and be ourselves in front of his camera. That's why his photos are always natural and candid even with some posed ones. Since Jim had never shot photos at the venue we held our wedding, he checked out the place and planned ahead where to capture the best moments. He was very detail oriented and well prepared that he took a lot of time communicating with us who and what we want to be in the photos to remind us our most special day. On our wedding day, Jim worked very hard and was great capturing the candid and special moments. Our parents really enjoyed working with Jim as well, since he's so unobtrusive as a photographer, but nice and caring as a friend. We are very happy with our photos and very glad we had him to be the one who remind us all the precious memories of the day!

Reviewed on 4/20/2016

Jim did an amazing job while capturing the moment of a Proposal that I had planned. I am not from the Boston area, so Jim helped guide me into great settings and even better pictures and captured amazing moments for both myself and my fiancee. We could not have asked for... Read More anything more and would recommend his services to anyone and everyone. Thanks Jim. Dave and Alexandra.

Reviewed on 3/14/2016 Rachel C

My experience working with Jim was stellar from start to finish. I would recommend him again and again. Jim was our first choice from the moment we saw his portfolio. Jim's pure talent at capturing emotion in a candid moment really stuck out to us over other work we... Read More reviewed. Since my husband and I both believed that making a decision to hire a photographer was one of the most important decisions of the wedding planning process, our expectations of Jim were high. He knocked it out of the park in every way! Jim was responsive and flexible throughout the process of planning our wedding, from helping us put together the best package to spending plenty of time on the phone going over wedding day details. On our wedding day itself, we anticipated that timing would be tight--yet Jim managed to adhere comfortably to schedule. Because our wedding took place at an old mansion it was logistically complicated--but Jim didn't miss a single beat. We have SO many good pictures from our wedding that we still can't seem to narrow down our favorites. We are so thankful that we hired Jim and absolutely recommend him to other couples!

Best Photographer Around

Reviewed on 12/06/2015 Kara F

I would recommend Jim to anybody. He was so quick to get back by phone or email on any questions I had and was very informative and explained everything with such detail. He goes above and beyond and you can tell takes pride in his work. I'm so glad I didn't go with anybody... Read More else!!

Jim gets my vote!

Reviewed on 11/17/2015

Jim Canole captured the special moments of our wedding ceremony. We had a small wedding in a lovely city park. My now husband and I invited 28 close friends and family to celebrate with us. Jim was easily accessible previous to the wedding. He was straight forward and needed... Read More little direction to catch our vision for the morning. During the ceremony he didn't imped the process with his presence. The wedding pics and video arrived in a timely manner. The wedding attendants report watching the video over and over again and didn't want it to stop.

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 Ali M

Jim was absolutely amazing. Our day was not only captured in the perfectly--he went way above and beyond. With everything from guiding us through the photo process and flexibility in meetings leading up to the wedding to giving us exactly what we needed day of (sometimes space,... Read More sometimes direction--whatever was needed in the moment!) and even giving my cousin's son a tutorial on his on photography, helping him frame the shot, giving him a critique, telling him what he did great and how he could get better, and then proffering his business card to offer future guidance after the event (out of my eyesight, I heard about it later from family). He knows how to make everyone comfortable. The shots we have look like they could be in a magazine--not just the traditional photos, but the moments that we really want to remember. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't hire Jim. Seriously.

Jim Canole Photography

Reviewed on 10/20/2015

Jim is an exceptional photographer and artist. He is extremely detail oriented and versatile allowing for unique shots. Almost two months later, I still receive compliments on my photos and wedding album. I would highly recommend his services for any bride to be!

Reviewed on 10/20/2015

Unbelievable Work! Jim's quality of work remains the same year after year! This is the second time that we have hired Jim to document our child's wedding and the results are just as spectacular as the first. He is skilled at getting all the great shots while remaining... Read More unobtrusive .

Jim Canole

My first trip to the national parks of the American Southwest reignited an earlier interest I once had in photography. Though I still regularly visit that area to capture the beautiful landscapes, photojournalism is now what most inspires me. I love the challenge of searching out and capturing the story-telling candid moments of an event. People seem to appreciate the life and emotions expressed in my images. Now, 500 weddings and 15 years later, I still get a rush when shooting a wedding. Thanks for visiting and I'd love to hear from you!