We highly recommend looking at flights and accommodations early to get the best prices.
If you are coming from somewhere outside of New England and can get a reasonable flight to Nantucket that is the easiest way to travel. Depending on timing, or if you are looking for the scenic route, you can fly to Boston and take a 90 minute bus ride to Hyannis or rent a car and drive to the Hyannis airport or ferry terminal. The ferry can range from $35-$100 roundtrip depending on if you take the slow 2 hour or fast 1 hour ferry. Flying from the Hyannis airport is only a 15 minute flight ($120-$150 round trip).
- By air: Flights into Nantucket (Airport code: ACK) are operated via JFK (Jetblue and Delta), Boston (Cape Air), Washington, DC (Jet Blue and US Airways) or Hyannis (Cape Air or Island Air) or it's possible to fly into an airport nearby since the connections to ACK are not always the easiest (more below).
- By boat: Hy-Line Cruises and the Steamship Authority both operate ferries out of Hyannis. If you are looking to bring a car on-island then we recommended that you make your boat reservation early, as the car ferry ($400 round trip depending on vehicle size) does sell out quickly. There are 2 different types of ferries offered: a fast ferry (with no cars) and the car ferry, which take 75 minutes and 130 minutes respectively. All ferries arrive in Nantucket town.
Flying into Boston, Providence, Hartford
- Rent a car one way (drop off at the ferry building or Barnstable airport)
- Be careful on the hours surrounding rental drop offs at any of these locations as they are not open 24hrs
- Rent a car round trip and park at the ferry terminal for a couple days
- There are many day lots around the ferries with prices ranging from $10-20/day
- Take the bus to Hyannis Transportation Center
- There is a bus from Logan airport (BOS) to Hyannis
- If you're not able to drop off or park at the ferry terminal then the taxi from Barnstable airport is usually less than $15 and it's even possible to walk from the bus terminal to either ferry (less than 1 mile).
Some tips, tricks, and other thoughts:
- Having a car on island is not necessary as there will be transportation to and from the wedding ceremony and reception. There are taxis on island, as well as bicycles and Vespas for rent. However, if you like exploring and plan to be there for a few days a car can be a nice option.
For questions about getting to the island email email@example.com