1 Hanover Square

New York, NY

Beautiful Landmarked-Historic Manson

Masterpiece Caterers at 1 Hanover Square is located in the heart of the financial district, this recently restored 19th century club’s doors are now open to non-members for private events. The 11 ornate event rooms inside the multi-level club are perfect for intimate parties of 2 to grander celebrations of 250.

Ballroom, Historic Venue, Mansion + Estate

F5a78365 fb2f 42e0 9ebc b20b45498df1~rs 100

1 Hanover Square, New York, NY (212) 269-2323
INSTAGRAM

Reviewed on 2/10/2018 Maria D

I cannot say enough glowing things about Kevin Mattner and his team at India House. They go out of their way to be friendly and accommodating, and are all extremely professional. My husband and I are still in total awe over how absolutely perfect our wedding was. It beat all of... Read More out expectations, and that is largely thanks to Kevin and his team. They really do go out of their way to make your wedding everything you want it to be and more. I recommend this venue with zero hesitation. It is a complete gem in Lower Manhattan - especially if you're planning on a fall or winter wedding (that's when India House shines the most, in my opinion). You can't do better than India House in NYC!

Reviewed on 1/08/2018 Ellen H

We had a wonderful wedding at India House (or so I was told, since it went by so fast) thanks to Kevin and his team. I loved the historical house and how well everything was maintained. All the food was fantastic and there were so many rooms for the guests to hangout in.... Read More Kevin made sure all our concerns were addressed and accommodated us with our requests such as changing . He takes his job very seriously so there is no detail too little for him to handle.

Reviewed on 12/25/2017 Cara F

Kevin Mattner gave us the wedding of our dreams at Morningside Castle! 2 months later, my husband and I are still reeling about the day from start to finish. Kevin went above and beyond to accommodate our requests, listened to our desires, and executed the day exceeding our... Read More expectations. We hope to have the opportunity to work with Kevin again as he's truly a delight!

Reviewed on 12/18/2017 Thomas K

We were married on Sept. 9 2017. It was a magical experience. Kevin Mattner and the entire staff did an outstanding job. Each room at 1 Hanover Square is unique, and varies in how many people can be accommodated. Masterpiece caterers offered so many options (we went... Read More vegetarian) and the desserts and wedding cake were fabulous. You can not go wrong if you choose 1 Hanover square for your wedding.

Reviewed on 12/18/2017 Thomas K

Reviewed on 12/06/2017 Robert L

What a wonderful venue. Anyone can provide good food. What makes 1 Hanover Square / Masterpiece Caterers so wonderful is the overall package. For a traditional wedding, no venue can duplicate the history, the fireplaces, the antique fixtures and overall ambiance. Kevin, the... Read More General Manager was always available, very accommodating, and able to make last minute changes. His staff, from the Captain to the Bartenders and Waiters were very professional and proactive. Many of the staff are seasoned employees. We are still receiving rave reviews from our guests over the venue, food and service. The Food was OUTSTANDING! The cocktail party included butler service with mini lobster rolls, lollipop lamb chops, seared tuna canapés, potato pancakes with sour cream and smoked salmon and other finery. Stations included a pastrami and turkey carving board, a pasta station and others. The main courses included choices of bronzini, rack of lamb and others. The guests leaving were greeted with hot cookies, right out of the oven. For the out of town guests, our hotel was less than one block away, especially good for the older guests. The venue is handicap compliant, with elevators and bathrooms on all floors. I believe 1 Hanover has 11 rooms, we used most of them; ie: bridal suite, groom suite, meet with rabbi, signing marriage license, rehearsal for ceremony, grand foyer for guests to assemble, red room for ceremony, "trading pit" for cocktail party, Marine room for the grand reception, and another room for breakfast the next day. Kevin OVER delivered on service, food, and hospitality, For services provided the cost was very reasonable. We look forward to returning.

Reviewed on 11/12/2017 Andrea W

This review is a admittedly overdue, but my husband and I of nearly a year have had plenty of time to reflect on our first year of marriage and the incredible party and celebration with which we kicked it off! We chose India House while looking for a venue that felt like a... Read More classic and classy winter evening in Manhattan. We couldn't imagine ourselves in a hotel ballroom, a country club, or contrived Brooklyn "warehouse" over-decorated with mason jars. As soon as we stepped inside India House and met Kevin and Arlinda, we knew we found our venue. The space itself has the authenticity of old world New York without being stuffy. Kevin tastefully decorates and updates India House so it maintains timeless style. We were married in December, and the white lights, garlands, and soft candles gave our venue a romantic, warm ambiance. Perhaps most importantly though, Kevin and Arlinda and the rest of the staff are true professionals that ensured the evening was executed seamlessly. We utilized the entire venue, and they helped create a time table and flow to the evening that kept our guests moving throughout the building during different phases of the wedding. I really had nothing to worry about that day or night except enjoying myself and trying not to have my dress stepped on! Lastly, I can't write a review without mentioning the food. The meal was really important to my husband and me. We didn't want a dinner that was forgettable or served banquet salmon with asparagus. Our guests still rave about the food, right down to the spiked rootbeer floats for dessert. And maybe most amazingly, my husband and I actually had a chance to eat! Kevin set up time after the ceremony for us to sample all our hors devours and sip champagne in the privacy of our own room upstairs. We would recommend this venue a 100 times over. Thank you to the India House team for making our wedding a truly wonderful evening that reflected our tastes and style as a couple!

Reviewed on 11/03/2017 J K

Good

Reviewed on 11/02/2017 An V

We worked with Kevin at Masterpiece Caterers for our wedding at the India House/1 Hanover Sq, and he is amazing. He is communicative & prompt, and tries to be as accommodating as possible. Trust him & the rest of the staff at Masterpiece Caterers to make your wedding day go as... Read More well as possible. 1 Hanover Square was the perfect venue for what we envisioned, and it felt personal to us in a way. It is a beautiful and unique historical building filled with art work and vintage touches. One of our guests remarked that the venue is so beautiful, she felt tempted to just walk around the different floors and admire it. We were the only wedding booked that day (Sunday afternoon wedding) and had free reign of the floors. Masterpiece Caterers is a very professional business - it seems to me they have a full-time staff, in contrast to other venues/caterers who hire temps to work events. The difference in service is stark. I've been to many weddings before having my own and saw a lot of bad staff behavior - young, uninterested servers at cocktail stations; a venue valet who stole from our car; caterers who threatened not to serve guests unless they got tips upfront. This made me very apprehensive about my own wedding day, but the staff at Masterpiece Caterers went above & beyond. There was a woman named Sandra who helped fluff my train & veil before I walked the aisle - she saw me shaking from nerves & was super sweet, reassuring me that everything would be okay. We were overwhelmed with gift boxes & envelopes from our tea ceremony, and the staff made sure to pack everything neatly away for us to take home at the conclusion of our wedding. In fact, they had a chance to steal an envelope with $50 in it that we forgot on a serving cart, but they actually kept it safe by packing it with our gift boxes! Very very pleased. The food was delicious, and I love that they work with Financier Patisserie for the wedding cake. We chose something different, a passion fruit flavor, and were worried about how it would go over with guests. They loved it as much as we did! I didn't get to finish my dinner (do the bride & groom ever?) but I made sure to eat my slice of cake. I surveyed a good amount of guests after the wedding and they all raved about the food & service. One guest described the service as very classy. We're really happy to have had our wedding with Masterpiece Caterers & 1 Hanover Square.

Reviewed on 10/29/2017 Barbara S

Wedding of Dorothy and James at The India House, October 21, 2017 Thanks to Kevin Mattner, who managed everything, and his excellent staff, Dorothy and James had the wedding of their dreams! As parents of the bride we couldn't be happier! The professional help and guidance... Read More Kevin patiently provided for us regarding every decision we needed to make was invaluable and spot on! The food was amazing and the entire staff did an outstanding job, providing impeccable service throughout the entire evening! We have heard from many of our guests and the compliments have been effusive. So many people said that this was the best wedding they had ever been to! Consistently mentioned, was the beauty of the venue, the great food, and the attentive staff. We want to thank The India House for making Dorothy and James's wedding such a beautiful celebration. The day was perfect from start to finish! It was a wonderful confluence of outstanding professional management on the part of Kevin; a very attentive, friendly and competent staff; fabulous food and a gorgeous venue. Thanks to all at the The India House, we will have memories to cherish for a lifetime!

Reviewed on 10/25/2017 Jyoti E

THIS PLACE IS THE BEST!!! You cannot go wrong. I couldn't have dreamt a better wedding. The service, food, decor, ambiance, and the attention you get from India House (1 Hanover Sq) is unparalleled. My friends and family were blown away. Everyone was so impressed and said... Read More this was the best wedding they have attended. And I really give India House the credit for this. Their service for flawless. And the venue captures the energy, elegance and class of a NYC wedding. And I can't say enough good things about Adam Hartofilis (Director of Catering at India House). He is a perfectionist. Trust me when I say he cares more about your wedding than even you do. And he really does fulfill all your wishes. Adam is AWESOME. Trust your wedding plans to Adam and you will be amazed. Thank you so much to everybody at India House, especially Adam.

Reviewed on 10/13/2017 Tttee D

Best!

Reviewed on 10/08/2017 Leda Z

"It's like being inside a champagne flute!" That is a quote from one of our guests at our wedding a year ago. Our memories of that day are still as clear as they could be. Kevin Mattner was our contact and he guided us through the entire process, carefully articulating our... Read More options as we began planning and through to the end as he was there to guide me the way to walk down the aisle. We couldn't be happier with India House and Masterpiece Caterers and we want everyone to get married there! Kevin and his staff made sure that we were attended to in every respect. I had done my own centerpieces and they arranged them beautifully in the room, on the tables and fireplace mantle, along with wedding photographs of our parents and grandparents that they artfully displayed. And speaking of fireplaces, Kevin had told us that if the temperature was right, that they would light fires in both the ceremony and reception spaces (at no extra cost), something that I thought would lend a lovely coziness to the event. We got lucky, and on October 9 the temps dipped into the 50s so we had a lovely fire during our ceremony in the Red Room and also a floor above for our reception. There was nothing quite like hearing the sparks of the burning logs while we recited our vows. We decided to do food stations for dinner, rather than asking our guests to sit down for a meal. Everyone loved the fried chicken and waffles, mac and cheese, suckling pig and other delectable foods to choose from. Kevin made it a point that no one would go hungry and even supplemented our wedding cake with additional scrumptious desserts. As a New Yorker bride on a budget, I didn't think I could ever afford such extravagance, but Kevin worked within our constraints and the results were perfection. After our ceremony Kevin led us to a beautiful, private spot along the East River where our photographer took some amazing shots of us with a pink sky and Manhattan bridges in the background. If you love old New York, simply take a walk around India House and Stone Street to soak in that atmosphere of history, original architecture and cobble stoned streets. We have so many wonderful photos taken outdoors, as well as inside the beautiful stairwells and rooms of India House. Just writing this makes me wish I had a time machine to relive the day. Our advice to all New York City brides and grooms - get married at India House!

Reviewed on 10/05/2017 Jennifer R

We planned our wedding in about 2 months and we were so fortunate that the India House was available on a Saturday night in July. We had about 120 people and started the night with a glass of champagne at the entrance in the blue room and we moved up to the Hanover Room for the... Read More cocktail party and to the Marine Room for the reception. Adam was so responsive to all of my specific requests (and I'm not that easy) and he worked so hard to make this day perfect. Two months after the event, my husband and I are still getting tons of compliments about how incredible our wedding day was. We danced for the entire night and a bunch of our guests told us it was the best wedding they had ever been to! Thank you Adam and the entire staff of India House. I could not recommend India House more highly!!

Reviewed on 10/03/2017 ildiko c

My husband wanted to get married at the IH from the very beginning we spoke about marriage. He had been at the iconic Blue Bar and he fell in love with the venue. Given our small guest count I believe we made the best choice! We had our intimate ceremony and wedding in the... Read More Hanover Room which is the space with the red walls. Kevin and the team was very responsive to all our questions and requests. I work in the fashion industry and I am very detail oriented person. The venue is very classy and beautiful but I wanted to bring in extra decor to make it ours for the wedding. Kevin and the team was very accommodating and helped me execute perfectly the vision I had for my dream wedding! Thank you so much! The Bride

Reviewed on 10/03/2017 Anna S

Not sure if words could describe how happy we were with India House as our wedding venue. It's stunning on it's own and with the food and service and overall attention to detail it really made our wedding so special. Adam & Kevin put with our million emails and questions, helped... Read More us with everything along the way and felt like family at the end of it. We loved everything about our experience!!

Reviewed on 9/30/2017 Jennifer L

Where do I even begin- Masterpiece caterers was an absolutely dream to work with! Drana and Adam will fabulous and the venue is so beautiful. The food was simply outstanding and everyone is still raving several weeks after. I highly recommend India House! LOVE!

Reviewed on 9/29/2017 Russ P

My wife and I were married on August 26th at India House in New York, NY, and the event was hosted and choreographed by Masterpiece Caterers. India House exuded quality, excellence, and class. The décor was a fantastic blend of nautical memorabilia and antiques interspersed with... Read More architectural elements that made for a wonderful setting. Our wedding ceremony took place on the first floor, followed by a cocktail reception and then dinner and dancing on the second floor giving us the feel of being able to utilize a very large space. Views were magnificent from all vantages. The food was amazing, and more than a month later, we are still craving the delectable delights from our special evening. One would be remiss not to give attention and gratitude to the staff. They were everywhere - a tighter staff to patron ratio than one finds teacher to student in schools. The staff became immediate family, and our wedding involved a fair number of children who stayed up way too late. The staff were attentive to all of their needs ranging from off menu items to please youthful palates and extras on desserts. One cannot overstate the importance of enthusiastic and motivated staff in making one's wedding exemplary. Finally, we would be completely remiss without recognizing Kevin Mattner, who is clearly the heart, soul, spine, and foundation of Masterpiece Caterers. For months, Kevin took us through every step from beginning to end, from every tasting, to every referral, to suggestions we had never considered, he made our evening a success way beyond our dreams. His attention to detail and his patience when there is so much happening is clearly a testament to his decades in the business and experience pulling off the best year after year. Kevin is indeed a maestro who conducts a world class orchestra at Masterpiece Caterers. Thank you for a wonderful, wonderful experience.

Reviewed on 9/16/2017 Sarah B

My husband and I got married at India House in January 2017 and would wholeheartedly recommend the experience to anyone looking for a quintessentially New York wedding. I think the venue is a particularly good choice for fall, winter and early spring weddings for several... Read More reasons. First, the building itself is gorgeous. The day of our wedding we were surprised with a sudden snowstorm that meant we couldn’t take any photos on nearby Stone Street, as we had previously planned. It didn’t matter, however, and we didn’t regret the lack of outdoor space for a second. Each room in India House is amazingly decorated with deep rich colors, interesting paintings and period details. The staff had fires lit in every fireplace and there were candles everywhere. Our photographers were able to get so many great shots without leaving the venue, and our photos are really unique and memorable as a result. We also had an amazing florist, but honestly did not have to do much to make the rooms beautiful. The space was cozy, lively and elegant, and really helped to set a special tone. I’ve since had several guests tell me how magical the venue was for a winter evening wedding. Second, the staff at India House are pros. We worked with Arlinda, and she was consistently cheerful and responsive. At our tasting, she and Kevin worked with us to make some much appreciated tweaks to the menu and helped brainstorm ideas for a late-night snack option. Perhaps most importantly, Arlinda just gets things done. Even better, she doesn’t have to be chased or reminded (something I found myself doing with some of our other vendors in the last few weeks leading up to the wedding) – instead, I felt like I was in great hands all the way through the wedding prep and on the day itself. Finally, I think India House is great value for money, particularly in New York (and even more so if you are getting married in the off-season). The catering and event spaces are phenomenal, and we were able to have access to the venue the night before and the entire day of the wedding for a rehearsal and prep. The staff was flexible and worked within our budget to modify some of the standard offerings. The operations team provide valuable day-of coordination services, meaning you won’t need to hire a separate coordinator or planner if you choose not to. All in all, this place is a true gem, and more than capable of delivering the kind of classic New York wedding that feels like it’s out of a film. We would absolutely encourage anyone looking for a wedding venue to consider it!

Reviewed on 8/26/2017 Annie C

If you are looking for a classic NYC wedding that won't break your budget but still feels like a million dollars, book 1 Hanover Square. All the reviews are accurate - this place is the dream. From the setting itself - a 1835 building designed after an Italian Mansion that is... Read More cloaked in history - to the first-class staff, the 5-star food and top-notch service, our wedding was beyond exceptional. It was all I could've hoped for - and more. From day one, we felt we were in good hands. Kevin Mattner was accommodating, organized, on top of every detail and personable. Plus, he provided excellent suggestions on decor and recommendations for how to structure the night of the wedding. Working with him was effortless and stress-free -- especially the day of the wedding! I attribute the success of our event to him and his attentive staff. Aside from the staff, the food is amazing. From the abundant cocktail hour - with all the appetizers, crudite and the Streets of New Your food station - to the three-course dinner that was out-of-this-world to the outstanding wedding cake, I still can't believe we received this kind of quality at our very own wedding! This is something I'd expect from the best restaurants in NYC. Needless to say, we'll be visiting the Blue Bar there often. Finally, the price is very affordable. It's amazing everything you get with this venue. Between the outstanding food and drinks, A-list service and being able to entertain our guests throughout the historic NYC building (we had our ceremony on the first floor, cocktail hour on the second floor and reception on the third floor), I'm sure people think we spent much more than we did. Our guests keep telling us this is the best wedding they have been to and to me, that's the ultimate testament to this venue. It's a special place. If there was one thing I did right for our special day, it was to chose Masterpiece Caterers at 1 Hanover Square. I want to re-live that night for the rest of my life!

Reviewed on 7/07/2017 Dana C

There are no words good enough to describe the experience we had for our wedding day here at India House. If you are looking to have a wedding that is a combination of ELEGANCE, CLASS and FUN, then look no further. Kevin Mattner was absolutely outstanding in helping us plan... Read More all the details. His exemplary experience, advice and insight helped us navigate what could be a very confusing and overwhelming process. Besides coordinating everything at the venue, he helped us find vendors that met our needs and cross off other details on our list. Everything tied together perfectly, from the ceremony, to the cocktail hour, to the reception. The entire day flowed seamlessly without one small problem. I don't know what I would've done without Jonathan the day of the wedding. He directed the entire day so perfectly and helped me stay calm, relaxed, and able to enjoy the entire day. After our wedding, all of our guests commented that the food was the most delicious food that they've ever had at any wedding. It's now been almost 3 months since our wedding, and all of our friends and family are still talking about what a beautiful wedding it was. Weddings can typically be a very stressful time, but all of that stress was alleviated knowing that the staff at India House possessed the confidence and grace to make our day perfect. Saying Thank You cannot fully grasp the appreciation that my husband and I have for Kevin, Jonathan and the entire staff at India House, but from the bottom of our hearts, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for making the wedding of our dreams possible! Dana & Eric Stein

Reviewed on 6/28/2017 Marilyn B

There are no words to express our gratitude to Arlinda B, catering manager, and the unbelievable staff at India House for making our daughter's wedding June 17th a truly magical moment. Marissa and Kostas fell in love with India House and it was the perfect venue for their NY... Read More inspired Art Deco wedding. Our guests are still raving about the India House experience! I say experience because it is rare that a wedding venue delivers amazingly delicious food, exceptional service, exquisite decor and staff dedicated and committed to making your wedding exceed your dreams. Arlinda is amazing! She was always there to answer questions or to offer suggestions thru the entire process. Her calm, professional demeanor was welcoming to this mother of the bride who found herself making last minute changes. If you want you and your guests to be treated like royalty go to India House so you too can hear everyone say "it was the best wedding I have ever been to!"

Reviewed on 6/25/2017 Vernon B

I will start with absolutely fabulous. I walked into the wedding planning process resigned to the idea that that most food options would be bland, boring or identical to offerings I have already seen at other weddings. I quickly discovered I was wrong after meeting with Arlinda... Read More and the team at Masterpiece. Their menu and presentation were instant standouts and after a delicious tasting the choice to hire them became a no-brainer. On the day of the wedding, staff was on time and professional. One of my only regrets from the evening was not taking more time to enjoy the food! I am convinced the reception would not have been as well-received by our guests if not for Masterpiece's hard work. I would gladly hire them again for another event!

Reviewed on 6/23/2017 Marissa B

Perfection! I cannot begin to tell you how blessed I feel too have been married at India House on June 17. The catering manager Arlinda B., was a DREAM to work with. The venue is so unique, so beautiful and rich in history. It is rare that you find a Manhattan venue at an... Read Moreauyfcbefvrafaxtfuutwwtrufxwrzdburayxxw excellent price point that exceeds your expectations! We had three floor and complete use of the venue! Arlinda and the staff at India House worked tirelessly to ensure that our blended Italian-Greek wedding was customized and executed to perfection. Our guests are raving about our wedding... from the delicious cocktail hour, excellent dinner, to our beautiful wedding cake... India house made our dream come true!

Reviewed on 6/15/2017 Maureen M

I cannot say enough great things about India House and, most importantly, Kevin, the manager. We got married here in the end of April. So many of our guests came up to me after the wedding, spontaneously RAVING about the site and also, most importantly, the food. This place... Read More is a GEM on all levels. The building itself is in a great location and the inside is really stunning. It is the opposite of a "wedding factory". Also, it is fully handicap accessible which made a huge difference for me (you would be surprised at how many venues aren't). And Kevin (and his staff) are truly everything a bride wishes for on her wedding day. There is no need to hire a separate wedding planner because Kevin is on-site and 100% attentive. He responds almost immediately to all emails and is just one of the most professional, yet warm, people I met in this wedding planning process. One last thing that I loved: India House is NOT out to "nickel and dime" you. The prices are quoted with tax included, and there are many "extras" that are included (like votive candles, for example). Please don't look any further and book the India House!!