A Starry Night Music

New York, Westchester, Hudson Valley, CT, Philadelphia, NJ

Elegant yet fun, funky music

Each party is unique. We let the music speak for itself. We play pure music without any gimmicks. We work closely with each couple to create an individualized song list. Your personal soundtrack. We believe in discreet use of the microphone. We specialize in World Music and Brasilian Jazz.

Classical, Dance, Disco, Folk, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, African, Arabic, Bollywood, Caribbean, Celtic, Flamenco, Indian, Klezmer, Latin, Persian, Polka, World Music

After Party, Rehearsals + Parties, Ceremony, Reception, Wedding

MC Services, Recorded Music, Sound Equipment, Music, Se Habla Español, Equipment

151 1st Avenue, New York, NY New York, Westchester, Hudson Valley, CT, Philadelphia, NJ (212) 946-5119

Reviewed on 6/12/2017 Christie R

Amazing all around!! Carol and Beledo did an amazing job setting the tone for our ceremony, cocktail hour and reception! Throughout planning - Carol was quick to respond to our emails and set up times to chat whenever we had questions come up. We knew we were in good hands when... Read More we met with Carol to discuss some of our musical preferences and adding Beledo to play guitar during our ceremony and cocktail hour made the whole thing that much better! Once the party started - it did not stop! Carol kept people on the dance floor up to our final song and that is exactly what we had hoped for! Couldn't ask for a better duo!

2017-06-13T10:35:32 Response from the vendor

It was so wonderful playing for a couple as kind and sweet as you! It was a great party! What we loved were the very personal touches you put in so many ways to make your wedding very special. You are so generous and we'll... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 6/11/2017 Christine B

Carol was so great for my wedding last weekend! She really understood the vibe ad feeling my husband and I wanted for our wedding and did a fantastic job executing it! From our first meeting she put us at ease that it would be a wonderful night and she was right!

2017-06-12T12:39:42 Response from the vendor

It was so great playing for you! I had a blast and you both are so wonderful to work with. I wish you a lifetime of love and adventure!

Reviewed on 1/23/2017 Janine S

If we could give Carol 20 stars, we would! She was amazing. We knew from our first meeting that she would be an incredible wedding DJ, and we were correct. She has a wonderful demeanor and is extremely approachable. She knew exactly what songs to play and when to keep the flow... Read More of the evening going. She was extremely detail-oriented and made certain that she honored all our requests. Our friends and family have been raving about the music!!!! We love her. If you are looking for a wedding DJ, look no further!

Reviewed on 8/11/2017 Mo W

Carol did an amazing job DJing at our wedding! Throughout the process, she was very responsive and so easy to talk to. She understood the vibe we were going for and she did not disappoint the day of. She played everything on our 'must play' list and nothing on our 'do not play'... Read More list (I've heard plenty of stories of DJs who offer these lists but completely ignore them). Any songs she played off our lists matched our music taste perfectly as well. She had people on the dance floor all night long and we received tons of compliments! I would definitely recommend Carol to anyone!

Reviewed on 7/17/2017 Anthony F

Carol was fantastic in every way! She did the music for our ceremony and reception. She helped us pick the right songs for our reception and when I look at the video, it just came out perfectly. She was a joy to work with leading up to the wedding as she will offer just the... Read More right amount of help. We were pulled in a million directions while planning our wedding and she was flexible and just plain helpful. I was nervous to hire a DJ rather than a band because I always fear the cheesy DJ but Carol was nothing like that. She announces the wedding party and then just plays fantastic music all night. We would hire her again in a heart beat.

Reviewed on 5/01/2017 Katia L

Carol was great to work with. She listens, plans and executes. She is aware of you all the time and ready when you need her. We loved the music at our wedding and so did our guests. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed on 12/22/2016 Debra M

Thank you to DJ Carol for everything on our October 21st, 2016 wedding! She was amazing to work with throughout the entire wedding process and made sure that we got all the songs we wanted and that the day went seamlessly. Very happy we chose to book with her!

2016-12-22T13:17:38 Response from the vendor

It was such a joy to work with you and I had a wonderful time playing for you and your guests!

Reviewed on 9/11/2016 april j

"Carol was amazing! I want to live it all again. Not only is she sweet but she rocked our party. We wish we could give her 10 stars! We got married over Labor Day Weekend. It was a destination wedding in Rhode Island. Despite iffy weather, Carol brought the beats and the... Read More smiles. It was flawless and she really rocked the party. I loved that she playing our offbeat music among the more normal music and made it work. A true professional!!! Highly, highly recommend!!"

Reviewed on 9/06/2016 Ashlee R

From our first meeting with Carol, we were so excited to have her be a part of our big day! Our emails were answered quickly and she seemed to get our vision. A few months before our date Carol sent us the DJ forms to fill out (wedding details, timeline, song lists, etc). A... Read More week before the wedding, Carol emailed me and asked if we were available to chat, I said yes, we could chat the next evening, but then I never heard from her again. We did not end up speaking the week before the wedding, but I was confident in Carol (and busy with other things!) and her ability to execute. However, looking back I feel that I should have stayed on top of Carol to ensure this meeting was held, as there were a few items on our Wedding day that didn’t go quite as planned. Our guests were sent onto the dance floor for introductions and the bridal party and parents were held in a separate room awaiting intros. On our wedding details page I had sent to Carol prior to the wedding, I specifically put “no parent introductions”, so I was surprised to see the parents waiting for introductions with the rest of the bridal party. However, trying to go with the flow, I figured it was fine and not worth causing a stir about. However, Carol did not have our parent’s names (as they weren’t supposed to be introduced). Our venue maître d’ stated Carol was on her way over to write down their names, again not a big deal. However, it took Carol several minutes to come over to get the parent’s names, then she had to go find a pen to write them down. I wouldn’t have been too annoyed, however this whole time our guests were standing on the dance floor awaiting the intros. It felt like they were waiting for an eternity, although I’m sure it was more like 5 minutes, but nonetheless, any amount of time was too long. The other thing that I wasn’t so happy about was when I had multiple guests come up to me throughout the night stating Carol was not taking requests. Again, trying to go with the flow, I went over the Carol and nicely asked her to allow guests requests. Instead of a simple “of course!” I ended up in a conversation about why certain requests weren’t being taken. Overall, Carol was just an average DJ. Maybe we just caught her on a bad night, but the one vendor I was not worried about and thought would hit it out of the park, ended up being just ‘ok’.

2016-09-06T11:41:20 Response from the vendor

First, it was a pleasure to have worked with you. The opening of the party I was ready to go and the guests were just entering the separated dancing room. I had my very clear instructions for the introductions which did NOT include the parents.... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 7/24/2016 Sophie Y

From the first time we met Carol, we knew she was easy-going, flexible, and most importantly an experienced and passionate DJ. We chose Carol because she was willing to work with us in terms of our music choices, and our reception schedule. Throughout the whole process, Carol... Read More was communicative, willing to work with us, and didn't mind when we had some last minute changes and additions to our song choices. In terms of the music, she did splendidly! She even threw in some remixes of our song choices which we enjoyed very much, and knew exactly when to play what songs. She really can work with all the genres! In terms of the day of - she arrived on time, worked seamlessly with our Maitre'D, and I never had to worry about the schedule of my reception. She also played music for our ceremony and cocktail hour, which were both fantastic as well. Overall, if you are looking for a professional, caring, and flexible DJ, Carol is the person to go to! Thanks so much Carol!!

Reviewed on 5/24/2016 Rama R

THE PERFECT ORCHESTRATION! We had a perfect evening of music. She facilitated every detail of our evening's personalized and complex transitions from the processional, to the varied activities on the dance floor , including the dance instructor for east coast swing, tango and... Read More most importantly, our quirky request for 70's disco, gay night club 1980s, and a dollop of contemporary. We knew she was right for us when she immediately downloaded our request for an obscure Japanese chanteuse singing 'La Vie En Rose'. She was reliable, professional, and really came through in making the soundtrack of our evening incredibly festive for one of the most important nights of our lives.

Reviewed on 5/23/2016 Stacy W

I want to express my deep appreciation for the help and support Carol have offered me on my wedding day. I feel very grateful for all the beautiful music she prepared for us and her excellent string band. Without Carol's help, I doubt I could have such a wonderful and dreamy... Read More wedding in such a proficient and professional manner. We had a few phone conversations, selected play lists, and verified a couple special music selections. On our day, Carol arrived early to set up. The sound was beautiful, the lighting was on point, and the party was so wonderful until the very end! Carol's voice and annunciation were exactly what we wanted. She checked in with us earlier in the day and clarified some pronunciations, reviewed the time-line, and we got comfortable with the rhythm of the events with a mini rehearsal. I consider myself very fortunate for having a chance to work with an expert like Carol. Working with her was a great and enjoyable experience for me. I really value the knowledge and insight she has, and her willingness to share it with me. I credit her for the success of my wedding as well as for the beautiful music journey she gave us. I thank you for that.. Our day was so awesome! With all the things that went into planning our event, working with Carol made it easier. We put our faith and trust in her, believing that she was the right choice for our day and she absolutely was! I don't think we could imagine a better wedding day. Ours was amazing, it was perfect!

Absolutely wonderful

Reviewed on 12/22/2015

Honestly, five stars is not enough -- I need ten! I had attended weddings where Carol was the DJ and was so impressed with her we booked her for our son's wedding in March 2013. She did an outstanding job that evening and made it a very memorable wedding. So, this year... Read More as co-chair of our country club's 125th Anniversary Ball, I knew we had to have Carol. Our club always has a band so we were breaking with tradition when we decided to go the DJ route. Trust me, there were people who questioned that decision. The result? Carol was absolutely incredible and better than any band we have ever had. Everyone raved about her and said she was so much better than a band! I've never seen the dance floor so full for so long at a party at our club. We had 659 people in attendance and she managed to get every one of them out to the dance floor. Fortunately, we had a huge dance floor because with Carol at the helm, you need a huge dance floor. She played non-stop for 6 1/2 hours and there were many that would have stayed 6 hours more! Whenever I recommend someone or something to anyone, I always worry that they will not meet expectations EXCEPT when I recommend Carol. She is, quite simply the best, the most professional, and the most spectacular DJ. She made our 125th Ball the best party ever. From our youngest member (age 23) to our oldest (age 99) they all said she was fantastic. Not only that, but she is so easy to work with. Her ideas about lighting and extra musicians for the dinner hour made the party. She interacted seamlessly with our videographing team and our staff. She gives 110% of herself and personally takes it on herself to make the party great. In addition, she may be the nicest person I have ever met; she makes you smile just to know her. Bravo, Carol! You are the BEST!

Reviewed on 12/12/2015 Barbara E

EXACTLY RIGHT FOR US! I searched high and low for a DJ whom I could trust to be classy, fun and a delight for people of all ages. I would be mortified by "shout outs" and prefer style to funk, though I suspect that Carol Moore can do both. For us, she was a pleasure to work... Read More with from our first phone call. She listens and makes sure she provides exactly what you are looking for. Our New York wedding was a destination wedding, and coordinating all of it from a thousand miles away was no small task. But once I had spoken with Carol, I knew that I would not have to worry about the DJ. Our wedding was small, but we had family from all over the country, from age 14 to 72, and everyone had a great time. Thank you, Carol, for helping to make it such a special night!

Carol is Great!

Reviewed on 8/18/2015 Liz

My husband and I were married in April 2015. Carol was our DJ and her husband, Beledo, played acoustic guitar for our ceremony and during cocktail hour. Both are amazing and talented people! Beledo can play pretty much anything and was easily able to accomodate our requests for... Read More ceremony music. Carol was a joy to work with from the beginning. We provided her with some specific songs and our general likes and dislikes and she played amazing music throughout the evening. Most importantly, she really paid attention to the flow of the evening and our guests' comfort levels. Carol is a real pro and we thank her for her hard work and for keeping the party moving!

2015-08-18T21:50:29 Response from the vendor

What a joy it was for us to play for you both! The Highlands is such a gorgeous venue and the perfect ambience for your beautiful wedding. We both wish you a lifetime of joy!

Wonderful DJ!!

Reviewed on 8/10/2015 Devon M

Absolutely amazing, we can't say enough good things about DJ Carol. She was truly a joy to work with, she put us at ease while we were planning. Every time we talked to her, the wedding seemed more manageable and like she would have everything under control. On the actual... Read More day, she set the mood perfectly. We had given her a well curated list of songs to play that we were certain would get everyone dancing - but it was actually a song off the list that got everyone to get on the dance floor. She can really read and respond to a crowd and set the tone for the type of event you're looking for. On the night of the wedding, there was a torrential downpour just as the reception was starting... For our lovely outdoor patio reception... Carol was set up in the corner under a tent and was getting completely soaked. The management was being less than helpful about rigging up a solution, but through it all, Carol was positive and upbeat and completely focused on the wedding and our reception (she was COMPLETELY soaked through all of this). The fact that she remained so positive infused the reception with a spirit of "this is fun and we are in it together" - we couldn't have asked for a better feeling to the night. She really went above and beyond and was so incredibly professional through all of it. The pricing was extremely reasonable and she even gave us a 5th hour complimentary. Absolutely amazing, we HIGHLY recommend her!!!

Best DJ ever!

Reviewed on 8/06/2015

Carol and A Starry Night was AMAZING! We would give her 10 stars if we could! From our first meeting we knew that it would be a perfect fit. Carol was so sweet and fun to work with - and patient with us - the nervous couple. She was always very reassuring and she really... Read More delivered! Her musical knowledge and smooth music mixing was spot on. We gave her our list of songs and she played all of our music at the right times and the dance floor was packed throughout the evening. She filled in the song list perfectly. Also very important to us was that her announcements were very tasteful and articulate, not the typical DJ at the typical wedding. We had Belado on guitar for our ceremony and cocktail and he was fantastic. What a musician! We took his creative ceremony suggestions and it was so beautiful. During our cocktail hour, many of our guests broke out into applause at the end of a tune. Highly recommend!!

Simply awesome!

Reviewed on 8/05/2015

Choosing Carol as our DJ was the absolutely right decision. She was just wonderful. She made herself available for consultations beforehand whenever I wanted to talk to her (and suggested times to talk so that she could prepare well), she was extremely flexible and professional,... Read More her knowledge of music is extremely far-ranging, and she made it clear from the start that our opinions count. She also did a great job as a second (and free) wedding organizer, stepping into the chaos of our wedding and helping the official organizer move us around to where we needed to be, for photos, eating, and dancing. I only wish we had more time to dance (due to our own fault, we started later and had less time than planned), since everyone loved the music. We certainly did not want to leave the dancefloor, and I hope we will have another occasion to hire Carol for more celebrating!

Starry Night gets all the stars.

Reviewed on 6/12/2015

Carol is an amazing DJ and provided a fantastic and personal service. She went above and beyond with everything she did and we know she spent a lot of preparation time making sure that she provided exactly the atmosphere for which we hoped. She worked incredibly well with... Read More the venue and helped smooth out the unexpected bumps that occurred during the evening. We cannot recommend Starry Night highly enough. Simon Mathis & Paul Giordano

Carol was AMAZING!!

Reviewed on 6/10/2015 Susana d

We were searching for a DJ who would understand our vision and "get us". We were so happy to find Carol. She worked very closely with us throughout the planning process and boy did she deliver! She made our list flow throughout dinner into rocking the dance floor. It was... Read More jammed all night! Her announcements were perfect and articulate. She has a great mic voice. Best of all, she kept us calm and is so sweet to work with. She was our favorite vendor. Highly recommend!

Amazing DJ

Reviewed on 4/17/2015 Lisa S

I shopped around for a DJ quite a bit because I didn't want one that would take over the wedding. I wanted someone who would play the music & be tasteful in the announcements. Carol Moore was everything we were looking for. She spent quite a bit of time with us figuring out... Read More which songs we wanted at which times, which helped the wedding day to run smoothly. To add to it, she used up lighting and shined stars on the ceiling! Such a nice touch!!

Carol! Carol! Carol!

Reviewed on 10/23/2014 Nicole F

We saw Carol four years earlier at my friend's wedding at Housing Works. The venue itself is such a cool spot for such a good cause (you should check it out). Anyways, she played the Gypsy Kings covering Hotel California and my boyfriend at the time and I looked at each other... Read More and thought the same thing: this DJ is going to be the DJ at our wedding one day. Fast-forward three years, and once we got engaged I reached out to my friend for her DJ's contacts. Carol and I spoke on the phone and it was an immediate connection. She is so kind and personable, achieved and good at what she does. Booking a DJ was probably the easiest vendor selection we made in the entire process. Luckily, Carol had previously performed at our venue, New Leaf Restaurant & Bar. Turns out having a DJ who is already familiar with the space is huge. Even more luckily, she got to meet the frustrating and stressful event director and effortlessly calmed my nerves - even about the non-DJ related things! Carol asked for a list of must-plays and keeps her promise of playing them all. Her library is extensive, her software is kick@$$. There was no "YO! YO! YO!" or any other screaming by a DJ that my husband and I wanted to avoid. Our guests were so impressed by her and the music she played. She even took requests and got my approval for a request or two that were on my Do Not Play list! Music was the most important aspect of our reception, even more than the food. Having Carol there means no worries, calm seas. I have no reservations recommending her for any and all events. visit her site - see how accomplished she is. You will be in the best of hands.

Great wedding music from Carol!

Reviewed on 10/22/2014 Amanda O

Our photographer referred us to Carol and we are so happy that she did! We interviewed three DJ’s and Carol was by far our favorite! Carol was organized, professional, personable, and quick to respond to all our e-mails and questions leading up to the wedding. She made the... Read More planning process easy and stress free guiding us through all the music details and aspects of the timeline that we needed to think about. The day of the wedding she was there early and set up/ready to go on time. She worked well with the staff at our venue (Battery Gardens) to make sure that everyone was on the same page. The night flowed smoothly, her announcements were succinct and classy (she has such a great voice!) She made sure that everyone gathered around the dance floor for our first dance and parent dances. Carol followed all of our requests and seamlessly added in other great songs. My husband and I were very happy with the music and I had a blast dancing the night away! We are so happy that we chose Carol and did not end up with the typical loud/obnoxious DJs that try to steal the show. We highly recommend Carol – she made the whole experience a positive one from start to finish!

Fantastic DJ - Kept Everyone Dancing!

Reviewed on 6/05/2014 Agustina C

Carol was the DJ for my wedding at the Wainwright House and she was amazing. I'm from Argentina and my husband is Canadian, so we needed someone that could seamlessly transition from Latin music to dance hits, (without the cheesy "Celebrate Good Times" songs). Carol nailed it -... Read More and we didn't make it easy. We had her transition from a tango to the Hora in such a way that everyone kept dancing. In fact, the dancing never stopped. Her husband, Beledo, was the guitarist for the ceremony and cocktail hour, and he was equally outstanding. I received so many compliments for his playing, (which is silly because he's the artist, not me!) Beledo's music created a relaxed mood in our open-air cocktail hour. I'm a picky person, but Carol and Beledo graciously handled all of my requests. Trust them to do their jobs and they'll exceed expectations.

Mrs

Reviewed on 4/30/2014

Carol was amazing! She was the easiest and most fun vendor to work with and made the process so smooth and easy from the beginning to end. On our wedding day, she was there very early and helped calm my nerves beforehand. During the party, she rocked! The dance floor was... Read More packed non stop. Not only did she respect and play our favorites from our song list, she also added great songs we hadn't thought of that really worked perfectly. Her announcements were articulate and with a perfect energy, not like the typical shouting dj. All in all, it was the most fun night of our lives and the music was a huge part of that. We are still receiving raves about the music from our friends and family. Highly recommend!

Carol Moore

Originally from Miami, I began my career as a working musician. I was always searching to make the music fresh and original. When I arrived in New York I immediately realized there was an open environment for the artistic ideals that I had. I opened A Starry Night Music in 1988. I wanted our private events to be fun, sophisticated, and cliché-free. Our signature style is to never repeat the same wedding. Every event is your personal soundtrack.