The Knot's "Best Of": A Stem Above

We offer a unique designs from personal bouquets to overall event styling for a creative look above and beyond your expectations. Specializing in blending elegant fabrics, floral, and lighting to create a custom setting.. A Stem Above has received The Knot's "Best Of" award for 6 years running.

Aisle Decorations, Centerpieces, Flower Girl Baskets, Pedestals, Vases, Chuppah, Wedding Arch, Wedding Decoration Delivery, Wedding Decoration Setup, Decorations + Accents, Flower Crowns, Hair Accessories, Bouquet Wraps, Bouquets, Boutonnieres, Corsages, Flower Alternatives, Flower Delivery + Setup, Flower Arrangements

1821 W. Hubbard, Chicago, IL (312) 226-6422

Perfection - Service, Flower Quality and Execution

Reviewed on 10/11/2015 Amy M

I really can't say enough about A Stem Above, Erin and her team. Some context. I was not someone who came in with a specific "vision" I was just looking for someone to execute on. I would describe myself as fairly hands off in the overall planning process. I had a general... Read More idea of what I wanted, but ultimately had trust in those I was working with to bring even that shred of a vision to life. They've done this 487897 times before, I haven't. And I used a day-of coordinator who handled all the logistical details. Having said that, I knew going into my consult that ASA had done many weddings at my venue, so I inherently had trust they knew how to pull it off. Again, they've done this many more times than I... Now, for the specifics. 1) Consult: Simple, informal, creative and FUN. Unsurprisingly, Erin's personality is very much the same. Erin looked at the (very few) pictures I had on my phone and listened to my general vision and within the span of 30mins had culled it down to something we ended up using 95% of. 2) Collaboration: Admittedly, there was very little needed because she came up with something so perfect very early on, but of the few modifications I asked for, I appreciated her willingness to bend... and her ability to make me rethink a few of my preconceived notions. One initial "no" for me was roses. Didn't want them, AT ALL. Yet with my color palette she explained that there was a perfect rose to complement the other flowers. She sent a few photos of it mixed in with others and I was sold. She even accommodated the 3ft balloons I wanted to pepper the lawn with, perfectly. 3) Communication: Responsive, asks the right questions to clarify your feedback / description to make sure she's getting it right and... again... FUN :) Mine certainly wasn't the only event/wedding she was working on this summer, but she certainly made me feel like it was. That's awesome. 4) Pricing: Full disclosure... I had one consult with Erin and never went to another florist. I just connected with her personality and the vision we shared and preferred to call it a day. I honestly don't even think twice about what I paid. I remember how I felt when the bouquets were delivered, seeing the centerpieces from afar during cocktail hour, and being almost devastated when I hadn't adequately planned for them to be taken home by family, friends, etc at the end of the night. If I could have taken them all, I would have. But, ultimately, I come back to the fact that they CREATED the mood and ambiance I was looking for. They popped against the outdoor scenery. They were the perfect complement to the day. Can't recommend Erin and A Stem Above enough. Just trying to figure out a good excuse to work with them again...

Reviewed on 9/22/2015 Sarah S

I had a wonderful experience working with A Stem Above. Erin was amazing and answered all questions within a reasonable time frame. I had met with her before my wedding and described to her what I had envisioned and left it up to her and her staff to be creative. The day of... Read More my wedding I was absolutely blown away at how gorgeous my flowers were. From the flowers on the tables to the bridesmaid flowers to everything in between, I was almost in tears at how beautiful the flowers were.. I couldn't have asked for more and would recommend A Stem Above to anyone! Just fantastic!

Best Wedding Florist in Chicago

Reviewed on 10/12/2014 Andrew M

I live in Los Angeles but was planning a destination wedding in Chicago. Erin and the team at A Stem Above made the process so easy and I knew I wouldn't have to worry about my flowers at the wedding. We were working within a budget and they were able to utilize our floral... Read More arrangements to maximum effect. They really helped set the mood and tone for a classic, elegant wedding. They were also really flexible with changes that we made up to the last minute. I highly recommend them to anyone getting married in Chicago. You'll be sorry if you use someone else!

Reviewed on 4/09/2017 Kate J

Erin was great to work with and collaborate with for my wedding. The flowers were one of the more important elements for me, and they turned out gorgeous! I would definitely recommend A Stem Above to any friends getting married. The flowers and table-settings were perfect,... Read More and I appreciated them delivering a proposal that was within my budget.

Reviewed on 2/15/2017 Kathryn B

Where do I start! I wish I could give Erin/team 10 stars. I cannot thank them enough for the INCREDIBLE job they did for my January wedding at Ovation (Chicago). I am an analyst by profession and didn't have the design expertise to put my vision into words. I was having trouble... Read More with other florists, but when I met with A Stem Above they were able to capture my vision immediately, even with my poor description. They are not only an amazing florist but they are design experts and true artists! They captured every single detail of my vision perfectly and even helped with suggestions to make it that much better. Walking into my venue the day of and seeing it all come together was one of my most favorite memories from that day! Erin had completely transformed the room! With it being the middle of winter in Chicago I wanted it to feel warm and romantic. The mix of the lace runners on the wood tables with lanterns and candle treatment and mixed floral votives and mercury glass it was just amazing. All of my girlfriends were raving about my decor! Not to mention that the bouquets they made were absolutely breathtaking. I couldn't believe how perfect mine was and the succulent bridesmaid bouquets were so much better than I even expected. Not only was everything they provided perfect but Erin/team were great to work with. They are extremely knowledgeable, personable and professional. I cannot say a bad word about them. They were quick to respond on questions, helped me stay within my budget and offered a lot of great ideas/advice. All I can say is do yourself a favor and choose A Stem Above. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed on 1/30/2017 Emily V

Erin and the team did an absolutely fantastic job with our October wedding. She helped create a beautiful ceremony at St. Michael's Church and an elegant, warm reception at the University Club. The flowers, the candles, the colors - everything fit our vision and the time of... Read More year perfectly! Erin was so helpful and responsive and kept us calm - even with the stress of wedding planning. We received so many compliments and my husband and I couldn't be happier. We highly recommend A Stem Above!!

Reviewed on 12/14/2016 Becky E

Erin and A Stem Above saved my wedding! I had to fire a different floral/decor company 8 weeks before my June 2016 wedding in downtown Chicago and she stepped up to the plate and made our wedding amazing. I had one phone conversation with her and gave her an idea of what I... Read More wanted and then my husband and I flew to Chicago (we were planning the wedding from out of town) and met with Erin and our wedding planner and she had a mock up table there and all sorts of other options so that we could try a bunch of different options until we got it perfect. On the day of my wedding, everything looked flawless and was exactly what I had envisioned in my dreams. She is a small business owner and it is obvious that she genuinely cares about making her brides and grooms happy.

Reviewed on 11/30/2016 Cece W

Erin is AMAZING. She figured out that she was doing a wedding at the same venue the night before mine, and worked out some split costs between me and the other bride. She didn't have to do this, but she went above and beyond right off the bat. What really set Erin apart to me,... Read More and unfortunately cannot be said for every wedding vendor, is that she never once tried to upsell me. In fact, she tried to talk me OUT of extra arrangements at the 11th hour because she didn't think we needed them and it would compete with other elements at the venue. That to me is the mark of someone who cares about how my wedding looked, and not just making a buck. I cannot recommend her enough! She is rare. :)

Reviewed on 11/16/2016 Lauren M

Erin and the A Stem Above team are top-notch. The team was incredibly accommodating with our budget, advising us on ways to get the best use out of our money while offering creative suggestions and guidance that helped make our wedding SO beautiful. Planning a wedding from... Read More out-of-town can be complicated, but everyone (especially Erin!) was helpful and professional and always responded quickly to comments/concerns. From providing us with a beautiful place card "tree" to helping donate our flowers after the night was over, A Stem Above deserves 5 stars because they went above and beyond our expectations, and we were so grateful to have had their partnership in our wedding planning!

Reviewed on 11/04/2016 Meaghan G

Erin was great to work with from day one. She understood my vision and brought it life without a lot of questions. She was easy to work with, responded quickly and reasonable in cost/price. I would recommend her and team to anyone to looking for amazing flowers, table decor etc... Read More at your wedding!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Christina S

Erin and her team knocked it out of the park! She took our wedding's "Gatsby inspiration" concept and made it a reality that absolutely wowed everyone, from my husband and me to our families and guests. Erin transformed the room with stunning drapery, one-of-a-kind ostrich... Read More feather and candelabra centerpieces, and romantic white and gold bouquets. She accepted every question and request as a challenge to help bring our vision to life. I couldn't have imagined more beautiful decor for our big day. And through it all, Erin was a joy to work with. She was upbeat, professional, and supportive. We knew we could fully trust her to execute flawlessly. I hope to be lucky enough to work with her again in the future.

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Alissa L

I absolutely loved our flowers. They were beyond what we expected and couldn't have asked for anything else! Perfectly priced and perfectly placed. We were planning a wedding from a different state and Erin with A Stem Above was incredible at making sure I felt comfortable with... Read More everything and so easy to communicate with! If I could give 10 stars I would! We loved A Stem Above!

Reviewed on 10/24/2016 Sherwood B

We were the wedding planners for our daughter's wedding and A Stem Above did a fantastic job with our floral requirements. Everything was beautiful and we received many compliments on the flowers from our guests. Erin took care of the entire process and are daughter was very... Read More happy with the results. Outstanding!!! Thank you.

Reviewed on 10/20/2016 Alisha L

When I walked into River Roast on Saturday, tears instantly came to my eyes because it was the most beautiful room I have ever seen!! I know that we never had a chance to meet and talk in person, but just from our emails you were able to create the exact look that I wanted.... Read More It was like you were in my head! From the gorgeous linens, to the beautiful mixture of white flowers, to even the types of vases that you used and even the candles and candle holders, it honestly was more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. I could not be happier with how everything turned out. I couldn’t stop walking around the room and staring at everything! Everyone loved the place card tree too!! I received so many compliments on the decorations and people could not get over the linens! Thank you so much for making my wedding so beautiful and honestly it was the best day of my life.

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Kristin R

I couldn't be happier that we worked with A Stem Above. Although I didn't go in to the consultation knowing exactly what I wanted, Erin helped create ideas for bouquets and floral arrangements based on our color palate and gave suggestions for different styles. I couldn't... Read More believe how the colors of the bouquet came together and complimented my bridesmaids' dresses! The bouquets and floral arrangements were beautiful and beyond my expectations in every way.

Reviewed on 8/22/2016 Katie D

Would make it 6 stars if possible! Michelle, our designer from A Stem Above, created an innovative, cheerful, cohesive design for our wedding day! Seriously stellar. We wanted a slightly different design focus during our ceremony (garden-like), to the lunch reception... Read More (casual), versus the evening reception (modern as in museum). Michelle nailed it! Not only was her design beautiful, but she managed to reuse elements from ceremony and lunch in the evening in a cost-effective, but seamless way. I would highly recommend A Stem Above!! Thank you Michelle!!!!

Reviewed on 7/08/2016 Elisabeth G

I highly HIGHLY recommend using A Stem Above for your wedding flowers. We used them for our April wedding, and I was thrilled with the results. Erin and her team were fantastic and absolutely made my wedding flower visions come alive. She had tons of options for me in our... Read More initial meeting and helped me figure out what I wanted despite my lack of floral knowledge. Erin is also incredibly easy to worth with --she's down to earth, super communicative and very respectful of budgets. (I liked her so much that my fiance's family used her for the rehearsal dinner flowers too!) Thank you Erin and A Stem Above!

Reviewed on 7/05/2016 Megan B

I absolutely loved the way our flowers turned out for our June wedding, and we received TONS of compliments! We worked mainly with Michelle, and she was super responsive and accommodating when helping us put together our vision. She had tons of great ideas, and everything turned... Read More out perfectly. I would highly recommend A Stem Above!

Reviewed on 5/13/2016 Katie A

Amazing flowers and design! Erin was wonderful to work with! She took a few inspirational pictures and turned them into the most perfect floral design! We got married in the Art Institute and the design/color combination was exactly what I wanted (actually, it was way... Read More better). She was really easy to work with and much more affordable than the other vendors I contacted. Katie

Reviewed on 12/05/2015 Lauren A

Our experience was A Stem Above was wonderful. Everything was absolutely beautiful and Erin's help throughout the process was so appreciated. I would HIGHLY recommend A Stem Above for any bride and groom's florals.

Reviewed on 12/01/2015 Carolyn D

We used A Stem Above as our florist for our wedding at Promontory Point on 10/10/15. We met with several florists prior to making our decision, but after meeting with Erin we knew she was the one who could take our vision and make it a reality. From our first meeting she made... Read More suggestions that we had not even thought of and always kept our budget in mind along the way. Our ceremony and reception decor turned out better than we could ever have imagined it. Thank you Erin for making the decor and atmosphere at our wedding absolutely perfect!!

October Wedding

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 Sara Bano H

Erin and her team did an amazing job! Working with her to execute my vision for the wedding was 100% stress free. Erin was great at collaborating and offering suggestions and made sure she was very clear on what I wanted. Everything turned out perfectly!

Books, Tea, & Flowers

Reviewed on 10/28/2015

Erin and the team at A Stem Above were great to work with. The flowers were absolutely stunning for my wedding. They worked well with us and our non-traditional style and helped to create a set-up that included tea tins for the flowers and old books. They provided gorgeous... Read More single stem peonies that my bridesmaids were able to place in a book and carry down the aisle. Erin and her team were great to work with and I would absolutely recommend ASA to others!

Over the Moon!

Reviewed on 10/24/2015 Amy O

I would give 6 stars if I could! I really enjoyed working with Erin and A Stem Above. Erin does a great job working with those who have specific ideas for their big day, as well as those who are unsure of exactly what they are looking for. I was in the latter group, which can... Read More feel overwhelming. Erin is the perfect mix of personable and professional. I talked with her about a theme and colors, and she made fabulous suggestions and shared ideas via a Pinterest board. She did a fantastic job of taking what we discussed/shared and put her own artistic flair into it. Her staff was awesome as well, and the attention to detail was phenomenal. A Stem Above helped make our big day truly special and memorable- I cannot recommend enough!

Reviewed on 10/12/2015 Kristina P

Where do I even begin?! Erin from A Stem Above was so easy to work with, she accommodated all my needs and was responsive when I needed answers quick. She worked within my budget and revised my contract several times until it was just right. The flowers were to die for! I... Read More received so many compliments from my guests and even still when people see the photos! The flowers looked fresh all day and night, which made me very happy. I’ve been to other weddings were I’ve seen the flowers already look like their dying half way through dinner. It can get pricey, but it all depends on what you’re looking for. It’s definitely worth paying a premium to work with such professional vendors, I never had to worry about a thing, which is just what I wanted on my wedding day.

Erin Foster-Olszewski

After many years working under the wonderful and talented designers at A New Leaf, I decided to launch a studio that was all things weddings. I absolutely love the one-on-one with my couples to collectively bring a wedding vision to life. ASA is a team that looks over every detail to make sure each couple's day is styled to perfection.