Berry Hill Resort

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

The Berry Hill Resort is an indoor and outdoor ceremony and reception venue located in South Boston, Virginia. The property contains 650 acres of rolling grounds, gardens and beautiful landscaping, as well as the main house, which is a National Historic Landmark. The resort has overnight accommodations, including rooms and suites, on-site dining, the Blackberry Spa, indoor pool, saunas, tennis courts, fitness center and several other recreational activities and amenities for pre- and post-wedding activities for guests. The venue can accommodate up to 350 guests, depending on the site and ceremony and reception location options include:

The Front Circle. The Front Circle acts as the resort's focal point and the mansion sits as the backdrop for outdoor ceremonies.

Grand Ballroom. The elegant ballroom offers an indoor ceremony and reception space for couples and their guests. The ballroom is adjacent to the all-weather terrace, which can seat additional guests.

The Orangery. The Orangery was originally the mansion's formal dining room and is ideal for intimate receptions.

Library Bar and Salon. Located on the mansion's main floor, these two rooms have comfortable seating and period antiques. The rooms work well for cocktail receptions.

Jefferson Grove. Between rows of cedars, the outdoor space works well for ceremonies, receptions and rehearsal dinners.

The Courtyard. The Courtyard is located behind the mansion, can be tented and works well for large and small ceremonies and receptions alike.

The Berry Hill Resort offers event planning for couples on all aspects of their wedding day, from the site selection to decor to menu to photography. The resort offers several wedding packages with bar services and several catering options available. Bar services include:

• Bartenders

• Buffet
  • Plated
  • Desserts
  • Outside cake

The Berry Hill Resort offers overnight accommodations for couples and their guests, so couples can create a weekend getaway event for their guests. The resort offers 92 guest rooms furnished with handcrafted Italian beds and several of the rooms and suites offer access to a spacious veranda with views of the large estate.

Couples and their guests can also enjoy the other amenities available at the resort, including the Blackberry Spa, which offers massage therapy options, body treatments, facials, manicures and pedicures. Overnight guests also enjoy the on-site dining options available, including Darby's Tavern and the Mansion dining room, which offers Sunday brunch and dinners on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights.

Couples who celebrate their nuptials at The Berry Hill Resort receive one complimentary overnight stay at the resort on their wedding night. The resort also offers several other extra perks, including:

• Bridal suite
  • Setup and cleanup
  • China, glassware and flatware
  • Tables and chairs
  • Linens
  • On-site parking
  • Wheelchair accessibility

The Wedding of Your Dreams Awaits You

Berry Hill is an historic, full service, destination resort located in south central Virginia. The enchanting venue is an easy drive from Raleigh, Roanoke, Richmond and Lynchburg. Imagine one stop shopping for all your celebration needs; guestroom block, rehearsal dinner, ceremony, reception and so on. The Berry Hill Team stands ready to provide excellent cuisine and exemplary service in a tranquil setting that will create lifetime memories. World class amenities, including the Blackberry Spa, are available to complement your wedding experience. Talented professionals will work closely with you to ensure your wedding is unique, affordable and picture perfect. Berry Hill welcomes every couple who chooses to celebrate their marriage at the resort.

Ballroom, Garden, Estate, Historic Venue, Hotel, Restaurant

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning, Rentals + Equipment, Service Staff

3105 River Road, South Boston, VA (434) 517-7000

The perfect setting

Reviewed on 6/12/2013 Brandi L

Berry Hill Resort was the perfect setting for our wedding. Everything was beautiful and it made for gorgeous pictures. The onsite wedding coordinator, Rhonda, and her staff went out of their way to make everything perfect for us and our guests. In large part Rhonda read our... Read More minds and anticipated our needs before we could.

Gorgeous Venue!

Reviewed on 8/16/2012 Amber F

This was my first pick for a venue, but I didn't think I could work it into my budget and still be able to invite everyone I wanted to. Well, after over at least a month of searching, I talked to Rhonda (the wedding coordinator at Berry Hill) and she worked out a budget that... Read More settled right into my budget, and we were able to serve everyone a plated dinner consisting of a sirloin steak, idaho and sweet potatoes, grilled asparagus, a delicious salad as a starter with rolls at every table! It was perfect! I believe in the final cost I went over budget by about $64, but I count that an accomplishment considering all the people I had growing the guest list for me! We hit a little snag in the planning when Rhonda called and told me she had accidentally scheduled a rehearsal for the same time in the same place as my wedding, but she worked it out and gave me an extra perk by allowing anyone to be present for our hour of hor dourves. Over all I was very satisfied with the location and the service, and I am glad I didn't settle elsewhere in all of my searching for the perfect venue!

Beautiful wedding spot and very easy to work with!

Reviewed on 4/11/2011 Samantha R

We loved Berry Hill! It is beautiful and there staff is very accommodating. It is a little on the expensive side but I believe it was worth it. The food was EXCELLENT!!! And so much of it that no one went home hungry, they actually gave me some to take up to our room. They... Read More had a chief there that made the food, no buffet lines which I HATE!!! Of course you could have a buffet but it was so nice having a chef there. Overall it was a great experience and the hotel was very accommodating and very close so no one had to rent a car (almost all our guests were from out of state).

Reviewed on 8/28/2016 Maria

This was a beautiful venue and the prices were reasonable compared to other venues. The service staff at Berry Hill went out of their way to make sure we and our guests had what we needed and assisted any way they could to ensure our wedding and reception were great.... Read More Arrangements with the cost of rooms for our guests and use of the property changed when a large party came to the resort, even though we made our deposit several months earlier. When we arrived for our wedding weekend, we were told the restaurant and bar would be closed to us the day of our arrival due to a large group reservation at the resort, which we were not informed off prior. If you have guests stay at the resort, keep an eye out on travel websites for price reductions, we found a price reduction of approximately $40, even though Berry Hill staff assured us we were getting the lowest price possible. I asked for a tasting of our plated meal, we were invited to the resort for a tasting, but it was a buffet. We expressed our desire to have the plated tasting and after consulting with the chef, he did give us a plated sample, which we had to pay for. When we discussed these issues with Berry Hill's event planner, she explained that it was our problem, we were wrong to have an issue with the resort for these problems and was actually very unpleasant. Given some issues, the wedding went off very well. We would recommend you get every detail of your wedding and reception documented and signed by you and the resort.

Reviewed on 5/10/2016 Mary P

This is an absolutely gorgeous location, an antebellum mansion with picturesque views. This is what sold me on the venue. The food was also great, wouldn't have changed anything in that department. I do feel like this venue is extremely overpriced for the quality of service... Read More received. We stayed in a "complimentary" suite for the night of the honeymoon with absolutely no air conditioning. It was so uncomfortable and after speaking to maintenance, they said that management had well been well aware of this problem. We received an old box fan with mold on it to help cool our room. I contacted the staff regarding this, and never heard anything back. The venue has a wedding coordinator on site, who helps coordinate things. I felt like she was rude, and deliberately overcharged as much as possible. I was told by the workers at the front desk in the hotel that she increased the hotel room rate substantially when there was a wedding that weekend. We were told we were getting a 20% discount by having wedding guests stay there. We were charged $180 a night for a regular hotel room, and it was being advertised online for $90/night. Overall, disappointed I chose to have a wedding here.

Reviewed on 8/06/2015 Caskie W

Great experience. Rhonda was so fabulous to work with and did such a great job of helping us make sure that all the events ran smoothly for the weekend. She even stepped in as bartender to make sure the party went on! The food was amazing and they were so great with all the... Read More changes and special requests we had. Loved having our wedding here and being able to spend the weekend with our family on such a beautiful property

Absolutely Amazing!

Reviewed on 5/22/2014 Jessica G

I fell in love with Berry Hill before we ever visited. After we met with Rhonda and toured the property, I knew there was no turning back. Rhonda was so easy to work with- always quick to respond to my emails, thoroughly answering all of my questions each time. No detail was... Read More overlooked on our wedding day thanks to Rhonda! Our guests are still talking about the delicious food and the beauty of the property- even in February. Most ceremonies at Berry Hill are outdoors, but Rhonda and her team did an exceptional job flipping the banquet room during our cocktail hour from ceremony to reception venue. Exceeded all expectations! :)

Great place to stay.

Reviewed on 10/21/2012 Nicole B

Guests loved the rooms

the litte things

Reviewed on 8/28/2012 Nancy P

While the over all reception was spectacular there were many details that were forgotten. For example we had requested sparkling cider as well as champagne and it wasn't available. There was not as much follow through as there should have been.