Blueberry Hill Estate

Bar + Drinks, Food + Catering, Planning

1493 East State Road 56, Paoli, IN

Beautiful Venue, But...

Reviewed on 12/04/2015 Alexis S

It goes without saying that the grounds, house, everything about this venue is breathtakingly beautiful. My husband and I knew as soon as we hit the driveway that we would get married here; it fit our lifestyles perfectly. We rented out the entire estate (cabin, glamping sites,... Read More and whole estate house) for the weekend; we arrived on Friday, had our wedding on Saturday, and left on Sunday. It's good to note that their pricing for food/tables/linens/chairs is pretty clear: $85/pp and $25/per child. We had a total of 65 guests that were able to make it (it was technically a destination wedding as we are not local to Indiana), and paid for accommodations for our bridal party. It was going to be perfect! It is also worth noting that every single thing outside of the "base" (buffet, non-alcoholic drinks, linens, etc.) is an "add-on." You want Christmas lights hung around the perimeter? Prepare to shell out $200. If you want to upgrade to the gorgeous cafe lights, prepare to spend at least $400. And the bar? You do not pay a per person rate, you pay a per drink rate; and they won't give you a proper estimate on what to budget. If we would have known the amount of issues we would run into because of their "coordinator," we would have NEVER signed the contract with this place. While everything turned out great (because my husband, his groomsmen, and his mother took charge of the weekend festivities and decorations), the broken promises never stopped adding up. We booked the 3 promised glamping sites in our contract, and only ONE was available for the weekend of (and it gets better - they weren't going to tell us and thought that they'd rent an RV instead); the owner threw a fit that our dog was on site (it was agreed upon a year in advance that she was IN the wedding, therefore was allowed); the coordinator neglected to book simple things like our food tastings, alcohol orders on time, site visits, etc.; It felt like the owner followed us around the entire weekend. Everywhere I turned, there he was. He also had the nerve to tell us that we had "gotten a deal" with what we were paying when we complained about our experience BEFORE the wedding even happened! I wish I had more room on here to tell our whole story of this place... It is an amazing beautiful venue, and the staff that they have on site for events were impeccable, but the staff you deal with throughout the process are just about terrible. They'll promise you the world, make you feel comfortable, and then drop the ball. I wish that I would've read a review like this before booking there so that I might've had a little bit of a heads-up on the coordinator. The day ended up being amazing - it was my wedding day, why wouldn't it be?! But the process and stress leading up to the big day by this place alone nearly made me lose my mind.

Ceremony & Reception

Reviewed on 7/15/2015 Patty S

I had my wedding here in June of 2015. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking! We had a little under 200 people. The wedding (including food) is about 85/person (for plated meals) and I think 25/kid. It's a little cheaper with buffet. They also can do your rehearsal +... Read More rehearsal dinner. :) They even provide screen for slideshows if you want. They have lots of lighting for night time around the pool, etc. Very fun and you can utilize the pub in the basement and invite all guests over to relax/drink/ etc. after the rehearsal. Pros: scenery, good food, can fit at least 400 if needed but also have places for intimate ceremonies. Can tailor your package. The estate house is gorgeous - spacious bathrooms! The pub is very fun and they have a nice massage area. Sun porch is beautiful to sit out on in summer and pool is heated. I can't emphasize the natural beauty there. Very nice people to work with! Cons: slightly expensive (remember, lots of things are "add-ons" - plated meals, alcohol, lighting), relatively new so make sure you're organized & know what you want. Includes a lot but remember you also might need to look out of town for vendors: DJ, hair/makeup, photo/video, cake, etc. (Paoli = SMALL town) My guests were stunned with the beauty and, like I said, the food was awesome. It's not a super expensive place and it's perfect for an outdoor wedding. You can have the ceremony on top of the hill and then the reception by the pool or behind the house. Lots of space to utilize! We loved it because we had the whole property to ourselves Friday - Sunday. BUT they have limited space for guests to stay overnight (5 rooms in estate house, can sleep ~10 in cabin, they are working on glamping too). I heard they may start doing more than one wedding per weekend, however. Keep that in mind. Another con: no shuttle to hotels. Overall, I'd absolutely recommend. Their new coordinator is great (But remember to stay on top of things - they are very busy in the summer). :)