Wonderful Wedding Cakes, Fabulous Flavors!

Buttercream Wedding Cakes & Desserts only uses fresh butter, no shortening or lard, only fresh fruit instead of jams and jellies and the freshest cream in our finish to create a very rich and smooth-tasting frosting.

Cake Accessories, Cake Delivery + Setup, Cake Tastings, Cakes + Desserts

682 Transfer Rd, St Paul, MN (651) 642-9400

Fantastic!!! Highly Recommend!

Reviewed on 11/24/2014 Kristin S

We had a great experience with Buttercream! Our tasting experience was a lot of fun. Our host was hilarious and kept us laughing throughout the hour. We liked them so much that we had them do our Groomsman cake too. They did a wonderful 2 tier cake with all of my husband's... Read More favorite sports teams on it. Definitely go them. You will not be disappointed!

Best part of the wedding

Reviewed on 7/27/2013 Katherine H

It took me awhile to find a place that did tiered cheesecakes, but I'm so glad I did. They worked with me to make it look beautiful to every detail I wanted. Every person was raving about how delicious the cheesecake was, and wanted to know their contact information.

Delicious Wedding Cake

Reviewed on 7/17/2013 Kate H

Right from the start, Buttercream set itself apart from other bakeries we tried in the search for our wedding cake. Not only were their cakes delicious, but they allowed my husband and me to take a tasting platter home so we could share them with our parents (who were unable to... Read More make it to the initial tasting). The people at Buttercream were also very willing and excited to make a design based off of our invitations. We were also able to mix the flavors of cake and frosting as we liked. The end result was a beautiful, delicious cake that all of our guests enjoyed. As an added bonus, instead of having to keep the top tier in your freezer for a year, they offer a complimentary cake at your first anniversary so it will taste just as it did on the wedding day. I would definitely recommend this bakery.

Reviewed on 10/22/2017 Kelsey B

Super easy process working with Buttercream and everything went without a hitch on the wedding day. We received many compliments on how delicious the cake was. We went with strawberry a la ritz and cookies and cream - perfect for summer. Highly recommend!

Reviewed on 10/19/2017 Rachel G

My quirky friend and I had a great tasting experience in June, I had wanted mini dessert and ended up going with a full cake. Prior to making that decision, we tasted until we were nearly sick. The cake on the day was delicious, and they did a great job with delivery and adding... Read More flowers so it looked really beautiful. I only wish the venue had left it out longer for everyone to see! I cannot wait for our anniversary cake. When we did the cake cutting, we were wowed by how great it tasted! After a couple days with no appetite leading up to the day, and I think I will always dream of how great that bite of cake tasted!!

Reviewed on 10/05/2017 Danika P

Our cake was so beautiful and it tasted delicious at our tasting! We chose the tiramisu and Bailey's chocolate flavors for our four-tier cake. Sadly, we weren't able to try it on our wedding day, because we were visiting with guests when it was served and the staff at our... Read More reception took our plates before we even got one bite! Not Buttercream's fault though! Our guests loved the flavors though and we get a complimentary cake on our one-year anniversary from Buttercream - woo hoo!

Reviewed on 10/02/2017 Rob W

Buttercream did an amazing job on our wedding cake! We loved working with them before our wedding! Everyone at our wedding complimented on how much they loved our cake! Definitely a must :)

Reviewed on 9/28/2017 Chelsea N

Buttercream did an amazing job for our wedding this past weekend! We had a 1-tier cake for our head table and 5 different flavors of cupcakes for all of our guests and we received numerous compliments on them all night long! We knew Buttercream was a great vendor but didn't know... Read More how great until that night came. We had people double-fisting cupcakes and others making multiple trips to the cake table they loved them so much. Thank you Buttercream for all of your hard work and we appreciate all that you've done!

Reviewed on 9/24/2017 Megan N

Absolutely fantastic! Fun tasting and great desserts. There's a reason they're the most well-known in the Cities!

Reviewed on 9/24/2017 Abigail M

Our cake received many compliments. Great work. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed on 9/11/2017 Jenny K

We loved our cake from Buttercream! I have heard from so many people that they it tasted incredible! We were able to modify one of their current designs and it turned out beautifully. They're a preferred vendor for our reception venue and I can see why. You get both the great... Read More taste and design for much less than other cake places we priced out. Their big thing is that they don't do fondant because of how terribly it tastes, and I can say that we didn't miss anything in the design without fondant. They make buttercream frosting look like fondant.

Reviewed on 9/03/2017 Abbi B

We ordered cupcakes for our wedding, and they were good. I was mostly disappointed that Buttercream is so inflexible. After we booked with them, we had a cupcake at a bakery in another state and wanted to replicate it for our wedding (it was simple, crushed oreos in white cake... Read More batter and crushed oreos in vanilla frosting). Buttercream was unable--or unwilling--to alter their cupcakes at all. It is very what-you-see-is-what-you-get. I understand they have a high volume of customers, and it is easier for them to stick with a few simple batters...but for the cost, you'd think they could work with you to specialize the cake for your wedding. I ended up regretting that we did not order cupcakes from A Cupcake Social instead.

Reviewed on 8/26/2017 Srilatha Y

We used Buttercream to create our wedding cake and loved the experience. The cake turned out beautiful and delicious and we got a ton of compliments. We also thought their customer service was top notch. They coordinated with our other wedding vendors to match our decor and... Read More used our wedding flowers on the cake itself. We also really appreciated the cost saving measures that Nina suggested to us. Overall, Buttercream made the experience with our cake stress-free, affordable, and enjoyable- which makes them a perfect choice for a wedding!

Reviewed on 8/25/2017 Steph K

They are the best! I could have eaten a whole cake - but I believe that's frowned upon when you're the bride... We chose the Tiramisu white cake & Bailey's Irish Cream chocolate, both of which were to die for! I will definitely be ordering a take-home cake for an upcoming... Read More anniversary (1 week maybe?) so we can enjoy it again in the future.

Reviewed on 8/15/2017 Karin H

The cake turned out amazing!!! We went in for a consultation and loved all the flavors. We settled on a vanilla and chocolate cake (their version of a marbled cake) with an amaretto flavor filling and a chocolate Irish cream filling (both are amazing)! We chose a naked cake... Read More design but we opted to also have a chocolate ganache drizzled over each layer and it turned out soooo good! This company couldn't have been easier to work with, I highly recommend them to everyone!

Reviewed on 7/28/2017 Becky J

Disclaimer: the review below depicts the events from our perspective.  The cake is good, but the customer service we have received so far has been disappointing.  We scheduled a cake tasting on 7/9/17.  We met with Greg to choose cake flavors and discuss the design.  Greg... Read More asked us to send pictures so he could share them with Marisa.  Greg said we should expect a response at the end of the week. As of 7/24, we were still waiting for a reply from Burtercream Bakery, so my fiance sent an email requesting an update.  Marisa sent a response explaining that they could not achieve the look we wanted.  Instead of offering alternative design suggestions, Marisa apologized and provided a list of other bakeries to try.   My fiance then sent a follow up email asking what could be done.  David offered an option that included 1 element of the requested design, but did not address the others.  I responded with an email asking which elements from the initial concept could be used.  David replied saying that our concept would not work since they don't cut cakes, or use dyes/fondant.  (Note: Cutting the cake was suggested by Burtercream Bakery).  We understand their position on dyes/fondant and asked for alternatives that would allow us to create a whimsical wedding cake.  Thus far, we know about what Burtercream Bakery can't do, and but not much about what can be done. When we asked for clarification, David responded by asking us to call him. My fiance made the call and David advised that he wanted to review our photos to see what could be done.  He asked us to re-send the pictures since because he could not find the copies we already sent.  Now, we are supposed to call him on 7/30 to discuss.   Based on the lackluster service level we have experienced so far, we do not feel like Burtercream Bakery actually wants our business. I hope to have a positive update after our meeting on Sunday. Update 7/28: Burtercream Bakery saw the Facebook review and reached out to us to discuss.  They feel the review is unfair given the work they have done internally on our wedding cake.  David asked us to meet with him at the Minnetonka location.  Replied to David's email that the review reflects our perception so far, and that we only know about their work internally if they share this with us 7/28: Second Update: Buttercream bakery contacted us to advise that they are no longer willing to work with on a wedding cake, and have shared this information with our wedding reception vendor.  David stated this decision was a result of the negative review I posted

Reviewed on 7/21/2017 Jenna H

Loved working with Buttercream for our wedding cake! They made everything super easy, gave us a cake customized to our style and tastes, and delivered and decorated it perfectly! Highly recommend!

Reviewed on 7/12/2017 K C

When we asked our friends about where to go for our wedding cake most said Buttercream. We were so excited to go there based on the feedback. What a disappointment! The person who did our tasting at the St. Paul location clearly has been doing this too long and doesn't think... Read More customer service matters. She acted like she already had our business. We also were not impressed with the taste of the cake which is even more important. It was nothing special. We were so disappointed and can't understand all of the rave reviews. In talking with several of our friends who had made the recommendation we learned that most did not do cake tasting anywhere else and just went on recommendation. Try at least 2 or 3 places to know for sure and don't settle for a place just because it is popular. We ended up at La Patisserie in St. Paul and could not be more happy. The owner could not have been more welcoming or gracious. She only uses real ingredients, including butter, and no mixes. The cake was so flavorful and she is all about making your day special. After our Buttercream experience, going to La Patisserie was a breath of fresh air.

Reviewed on 7/09/2017 Kaitlyn T

The best cake service in Minneapolis, no question. Their cakes are so incredibly delicious. They got everything perfectly right with our cake flavors, the floral design on the cake, the stand, the timing, etc. Perfect vendor for a wedding cake.

Reviewed on 7/05/2017 Jennifer S

The cake turned out so amazing and delicious!

Reviewed on 6/21/2017 Courtney I

The cake was amazing and the fact that we were able to pick two flavors was great. The tasting was convenient but small add-ons were expensive. An example was if we wanted to have a small gap between each layer (three tier cake) it was an extra $175 for the stand and for black... Read More designs on the cake (which are advertised as part of the specific cake design that we went with). Worth it but it seems a bit excessive on an already pricy cake.

Reviewed on 6/18/2017 Lindsay D

David at Buttercream was an amazing person to work with for my wedding cake!! We ordered a gluten free wedding cake from them and I and my husband thought it was just as tasty as the regular wedding cake (and he is not gluten free, btw). David was great to work with and our cake... Read More looked incredibly beautiful. Thank you!!

Reviewed on 5/18/2017 Erin E

Delicious!!! Our guests raved about the delicious cupcakes at our wedding! David is who we worked with and he is wonderful! He was so easy to work with and really took his time with us. We highly recommended this place!!!

Reviewed on 5/18/2017 Liz L

Buttercream made a gorgeous cake for our wedding! It was delicious and they did a fantastic job delivering the cake and placing the flowers from our florist on it. The cake tasted super yummy and not too sweet, which is why I chose them! Thank you Buttercream!

Reviewed on 5/11/2017 Erika M

YUM! The cakes were delicious! We had 6-inch centerpiece cakes at each of our tables and Buttercream accommodated our needs and we could even pick different flavors! The guests had a great time cutting their own cake, sharing with other tables, and "digging in." Seriously the... Read More best cake I think I have ever had :)