Cakes + Desserts

1436 Wealthy St SE, Grand Rapids, MI (616) 319-1611

Reviewed on 10/31/2017 Chelsea V

Our wedding cake was delicious! Also the team did a great job setting up our dessert display at our reception, it truly looked perfect! Highly recommended to friends!

Reviewed on 10/19/2017 Paige B

Affordable, delicious, and beyond cute! My only regret is not eating more cake!

Reviewed on 10/15/2017 Kaylee S

The cake turned out perfect!

Reviewed on 9/20/2017 Brian M

Cakabakery was worth every penny! From the minute I walked into the door for the first time, they were accommodating and great to work with. Their customer service is fantastic and their cupcakes are even better! We had them make cupcakes and a small cake for our wedding and... Read More everyone raved about how good they were....even for days afterwards. I would recommend Cakabakery to anyone for their wedding!

Reviewed on 9/17/2017 Bryn C

I had heard about the Cakabakery initially because of their incredible cupcakes, and had to drive to Grand Rapids from Kalamazoo to try them myself. They DID NOT disappoint - I've never had a tastier cupcake in my life! We hired The Cakabakery to make cupcakes and a small... Read More cutting cake for our wedding in July in Kalamazoo. During the 6 months leading up to our wedding I drove from Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids more times than I'd like to admit, in an attempt to try as many cupcake flavors as I could! I ultimately decided on 4 cupcake/frosting combinations, and it was totally worth it! Everyone raved about the cupcakes and both my husband and I were very happy with how everything turned out! Working with Jason and Alex was an absolute pleasure, and now that we have moved to Grand Rapids, I love having a new neighborhood bakery to visit! Every time I go, it feels like I am dropping in to visit old friends! I cannot recommend The Cakabakery enough, love you guys!

Reviewed on 8/21/2017 Amy S

We are still getting compliments a week later about how great our wedding cake tasted! It was absolutely beautiful and tasted amazing.

Reviewed on 8/03/2017 Timothy C

Our deserts and cake turned out so beautifully. They went super fast and everyone loved them. We should have gotten more!

Reviewed on 7/31/2017 Keri M

Although we didn't get to eat much of our dessert, we heard INCREDIBLE reviews. The presentation was gorgeous and our wedding cake was absolutely divine! We liked it so much we couldn't save the topper for a year and shared it with family the next day. Communication leading up... Read More to the wedding could have been a bit better, but Jason's son was getting married the same day as ours. The fact that he still knocked it out of the park given the timing was CRAZY impressive. We definitely recommend using Cakabakery!

Reviewed on 7/09/2017 Rachel G

The Cakabakery was recommended to us by our wedding planners at All Buttoned Up Events. As an out of town bride, I was very glad of this recommendation because we had such a wonderful experience with Cakabakery. They were so accommodating with my very tight weekend schedule ( I... Read More only was up in Grand Rapids area once prior to the wedding) to schedule a tasting. Once we arrived for the tasting, we were welcomed warmly and everything was set up and ready for us. The staff walked us through all the decisions and gave great recommendations and feedback. We ended up ordering a gorgeous two-tier fondant cake painted with gold accent. the first layer was coconut cake with coconut creme filling and the second layer was the salted caramel cake (which we tried during our tasting). INCREDIBLE and SOO delicious! Because our cake was so affordable I ended up surprising my husband with a personalized Detroit Lions grooms cake. It was so beautiful and the attention to detail was spot on. We ended up digging into the grooms cake (chocolate and peanut butter amazingness) after we left the reception. Nick was so thrilled and it was a great memory. thank you again, Cakabakery, for all you did to make our wedding cakes so beautiful. We cannot recommend you enough! oops! almost forgot. We had a lot of gluten free (truly gluten free and food allergies) at our wedding and Cakabakery worked with us to make sure we had cupcakes available for our guests to enjoy even still. They were a hit and our guests came up and thanked us for having this option!

Reviewed on 7/08/2017 Jessica S

This was some of the most delicious cake I have ever tasted. I will say that they need to work a little bit on being better with communication and response time to emails. However, we couldn't have been happier with the end product. We told their decorator our general theme... Read More and said to use their own artistic vision and creativity to decorate the cake. The end product was stunning, and guests couldn't stop talking about how delicious it was. They were happy to cater to our need for a gluten free layer as well, which tasted just as good as all the other layers! We would recommend them to anyone.

Reviewed on 6/21/2017 Ashley W

Thought this would be a good place to start. It was not. Maybe it was the dead stink bug that I first spotted, or that I felt completely ignored upon my appointment time. The cake we did try was very dry and the frosting tasted like sugar and just sugar. The prices were... Read More outrageous and it was very very short appointment. Better places are out there ladies... pass on this to save time.

Reviewed on 6/12/2017 Ellen F

I am giving this vendor only two stars. I had high epectations given thier popularity and ratings. There was some confusion after we had ordered the cake and we were told by the owner that the cake we had ordered and had been quoted a price for would be $50 more. Somehow that... Read More was worked out, and then he said the cake would need a "ribbon of frosting" to cover the gaps between the layers. We had no problem with that at all. When we got to the venue that evening the cake had the "ribbon" on it but you could easily see the gaps and some cracking. It was a four tier cake, with plain smooth white frosting and cost $400. for that price, we expected perfection. When I spoke to our wedding coordinator, Katarina, at the City Flats Ballroom, I inquired about the small cake box which we specifically requested from Cakabakery for the bride and groom's two pieces of cake. It was to be put on the seat of their horse and carriage at the end of the evening. She said they left no box and they literally snuck in and out without checking in with her which was very unusual. Our venue boxed up the leftover cake and we had it the next day with family members while the bride and groom opened gifts. In the group of 8 people who had a piece two of them got a bite of something very bitter. The bride was one of them and said it tasted like she bit into an ibuprofen pill. Her mother in law also got a bad piece and she said she thought it was either baking soda or baking powder that was not mixed in properly. I am thoroughly disappointed because I don't know how many guest also got pieces which tasted bad. All of these negative elements add up to a poor experience. I would not recommend cakabakery for a wedding cake.

Reviewed on 6/05/2017 Laura V

This is my new go-to baker in town. WOW! Jason was a pleasure to work with in the wedding planning process. We ordered mini cupcakes and caramel corn for desserts for our guests, and they were gorgeous. We also had a small wedding cake for my husband and I to cut. I had sent... Read More Jason a photo of what I was thinking beforehand, and the cake turned out even more gorgeous than the photo I had sent. There were so many flavors to chose from! I highly recommend the strawberry champagne... so, so good! Everything was absolutely perfect and so much flavor!

Reviewed on 5/30/2017 Camille R

I worked with Cakabakery for my wedding cake and had a very disappointing experience. The first sign of disorganization should have been when Alex no-showed our cake tasting. We had scheduled this well in advance and had traveled from out of town to do it. She was very... Read More apologetic and delivered cupcakes for us later that day, but still left us feeling like we missed out on the cake tasting experience. Next, when calling to pay for the cake, the staff on the phone had difficulty locating our correct contract and could only find an old version of our contract. They had to call back several hours later with the correct information. And finally, our cakes for our wedding day were not what we ordered. We had ordered one small cake for cutting and the frosting was the wrong flavor and color. We also ordered two sheet cakes of specified flavors that were completely incorrect upon delivery. This was very disappointing considering we had called the week prior to confirm the order. It was as if the orders we placed were not even reviewed upon making the cakes. When we let Cakabakery know of the error, all Jason had to say was that he was "sorry that we were not happy with our order." There was no admission of fault or a genuine apology. He did offer us an anniversary cake, but being that we live out of town, this is not really a realistic offering. When planning a wedding, there is enough to worry about without feeling like you need to constantly follow up with a vendor in order to confirm appointments and orders, therefore I would not recommend this bakery.

Reviewed on 5/15/2017 Tara G

I love this cake, and so did all our guests. They devoured it. You should not consider any other bakery. We had a lemon cake with blueberry buttercream as well as chocolate cake with fudge buttercream. THE BEST.

Reviewed on 3/29/2017 Allyse H

Our cake and cupcakes were delicious and we got so many compliments about them, especially the carrot cake. Cakabakery was able to provide gluten free, vegan, and dairy free options so all of our guests (including me) could enjoy some wedding cake!

Reviewed on 2/03/2017 Ryan E

My fiance and I tried to order a small cake from them for us to cut into at our wedding. However, we were refused service because we will be serving Costco cake at our wedding and they didn't want it to "be confused" with their cake because it "isn't up to their standards". This... Read More place is a joke. How I spend my money is my business. Can't believe I was refused service because I also choose to spend money elsewhere. Needless to say I will NEVER attempt to do any business with this bakery again and I would urge anyone considering it to be cautious because all they seem to care about is their bottom line.

Reviewed on 12/30/2016 Kelly M

One of the best parts about keeping our wedding in our hometown of Grand Rapids was being able to use our favorite local bakery - Cakabakery! They provided us with a gorgeous rose gold cake! We gave very little direction on what we wanted, only that we wanted some rose gold... Read More sparkle. They used their skill and created us the perfect cake and it was DELICIOUS. So many guests told us it was the best cake they've ever had! They also provided us with a variety of cookies for the bridal party between the ceremony and reception. The cookies were AMAZING and huge! We also used them for a cupcake variety for the bridal shower. Again, with little direction, they came up with beautiful and delicious cupcakes that the guests raved about. Cakabakery is SO easy to work with and their product is truly the best.

Reviewed on 11/28/2016 Stefanie D

Jason & Peter are AWESOME! They designed our cake for us based on the pictures we showed them. Very prompt on responses to any concerns. Cake and cupcakes were delivered flawlessly and they tasted wonderful. Highly recommend them! Thanks guys!

Reviewed on 10/20/2016 Mary S

Everyone loved the cupcakes!

Reviewed on 9/29/2016 Adelyn C

Cakabakery is definitely worth it! They have beautiful cakes and special desserts for weddings. They went above and beyond to deliver our flowers when they're usually closed- we are so great full for that level of professionalism! Our "naked cake" was delicious! I would... Read More definitely recommend Cakabakery

Reviewed on 9/12/2016 Brielle M

Let me start by saying, from now on, the only cake I eat is going to be Cakabakery. I cannot say how amazing the cakes and cupcakes are. It's been 4 days since my wedding & my family and I are STILL enjoying leftover chocolate cake that is perfect. Our cake and cupcakes went SO... Read More fast at the wedding and everyone loved the unique flavors and beautiful presentation. Each cupcake was decorated with care and plated perfectly. You won't go wrong with anything from this shop. Jason is great to work with as well. Incredibly kind and funny. If you are trying to contact for the 1st time, I do recommend a direct email, phone call, or even stopping into the shop. Seems to be the occasional technical glitch on the website and you do not want to miss out on having this cake and eating it too.

Reviewed on 8/24/2016 Elizabeth D

I'm so glad we chose Cakabakery. They were easy to work with and well priced. Our cake and cupcakes were absolutely delicious! Everyone at the reception was raving about them!

Reviewed on 7/12/2016 Ashley F

Cakabakery has outstanding, delicious, unique-flavored cakes. Jason, the owner delivered the cake himself to our venue in Allegan, MI, far from either of their locations in Grand Rapids and Holland. We had the vanilla almond and dark chocolate merlot flavors--yum! Our guests... Read More loved it! They gave me no issues when I needed to adjust my order a month before the wedding. They made the cutting cake look exactly like the inspiration photo I showed them. We went with a two-tier cutting cake and sheet cakes to cut for our guests, but they also offer cupcakes and dessert displays. Couldn't say enough good things about Cakabakery! Highly recommended!

Reviewed on 6/01/2016 Kristin O

We used the new location in Holland for our cakes & dessert buffet for our wedding. When we went to the tasting it was set up as a "date night" which was so special and even included a toast to us! We are usually not fans of chocolate cake but it was suggested to try it & we... Read More liked it so much we ordered it for our guests! the Cakabakery was easy to work with & our desserts tasted amazing! We will use them again for less formal events or just a treat for ourselves! The carrot cake cupcake/cake & molasses cookies are the best!!