California Cuisine

Greater San Diego Area, San Diego, California

California Cuisine Catering

Full Service, Custom Catering For over 25 Years!!! Personalized Menus Event Planning Private Events Corporate Events Weddings

Cuisine

Fusion

Dietary Options

Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Organic, Vegan, Vegetarian

Buffet, Menu Tastings, Passed Appetizers, Seated Meal, Servers, Food + Catering, Service Staff

1027 University Ave, San Diego, CA Greater San Diego Area, San Diego, California (619) 543-0790

Reviewed on 4/26/2016 Alena S

ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!! Working with Dominic and his team was a dream. They did a fabulous job from the first phone call to the last bite. He was so easy to get a hold of, emailed me back in a timely manner, not to mention the food was perfect. Everyone was raving about it. We... Read More also got a bar package with craft cocktails, wine, beer, and champagne. Everything was perfect from beginning to end. He was my favorite vendor to work with throughout my entire wedding. I really can't say enough good things about him and California Cuisine. If you are looking for delicious, healthy, and fairly priced meals and bar. THIS is the company you want to work with. Love love LOVE California Cuisine!

2017-04-11T17:24:35 Response from the vendor

Thanks again for your review on the KNOT, if you wouldn't mind copy and past the above link to the wedding wire? We would sure appreciate it ! https://www.weddingwire.com/review/CaliforniaCuisineCatering Warm Regards, Dominic

Best ever

Reviewed on 11/10/2015 Ashley C

We decided that we wanted to have amazing food at our wedding and were willing to pay to go all out. California Cuisine was still affordable and worked with us on price when we were a little over our budget. We worked with California Cuisine for our wedding this past weekend.... Read More We had tray pass cocktail hour with three different hors d'oeuvres, salmon, tri tip, veggies a pasta salad and green salad. We also had them make baklava, fruit tarts, mini chocolate tarts and a small cake for cutting. Literally every guest I have spoken with since has raved about how amazing ALL the food was. There was not one thing on our menu people didn't enjoy. There was not one thing we did not enjoy. I was joking with my husband that I wish we would have asked them to set a plate extra aside for each of us for the next day. Our guests also loved how attentive Dom and the rest of the staff was. Dom also made sure my husband and I were served a full plate of food as soon as we sat down and even brought over some of the hors d'oeuvres we missed during cocktail hour. We loved working with Dom, he was so helpful in helping us select the food, wines and desserts. He is very easy going and does not add any extra stress, he actually helped to alleviate some. I was very last minute deciding on the desserts and a few changes to the rentals and Dom took them all in stride and never made me feel rushed or bad about having no idea what I wanted. The staff was also so friendly throughout the wedding; chatted with guests and seemed to enjoy the wedding as much as we were. One of the servers even made my mom a plate of appetizers to eat as she gave my baby a bottle away from the party. They also put the extra desserts in the fridge with my name on them so no one would take them :) I have already recommended them to friends who have upcoming nuptials and I will continue to recommend them as often as possible. We loved our experience with them and would have them cater our wedding again in a heart beat.

2015-11-10T16:50:45 Response from the vendor

THANKS A & D- It was a real joy catering your wedding ! All the best to you and your lovely families -Dominic

Best wedding food, hands down!

Reviewed on 10/20/2014 Meredith M

All of my guests gushed about how good the food was at our wedding. Even the appetizers, which were all off their vegan menu. From moment one, Dominic was incredible. He is very easy to work with and very responsive. We have vegan/ vegetarians and one gluten free guest. Everyone... Read More ate well and wanted seconds. There were 65 guests, buffet style dinner, everything was perfect. If you are a foodie who likes to eat clean, real food: California Cuisine is your caterer!

2014-10-21T16:23:22 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much, Im thrilled that you and your guest were pleased! Best wishes to you both and of course, please let us know if you have any catering needs in the future. -Dominic

Reviewed on 7/23/2017 Hilary D

Amazing cuisine and great to work with! Dominic and his team made such delicious appetizers and unique entrees to keep a super diverse and picky crowd happy & well fed at my wedding!!! My groom is South Indian Vegetarian and his family are vegetarian for religious purposes.... Read More My family likes to keep it healthy, low carb, lean proteins and gleutan free options. So basically everyone was going to be super picky!!! Somehow they all enjoyed dinner and no one complained. Dominic's menu helped bring my family and wedding together. Bar was well staffed and drinks were flowing all night. Wine was served table side at temperature. The staff was superb and I was so happy that I'm chose California Cuisine for my wedding at The Darlington House. Dominic and his team also really saved the day at my wedding when the florist messed up my wedding cake. I can't even get into it but thanks you guys!!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

2017-07-23T19:38:16 Response from the vendor

Thanks Hilary and Subhash- Wonderful working with you both ! Hope to see you both is SD soon !!!

Reviewed on 7/16/2017 Marc B

Our whole family agreed that this was by far the best meal we had ever had! Chris worked with me very patiently as this was my first time hiring a private chef for a meal. We were celebrating my parents 50th wedding anniversary and we couldn't have dreamed of having this quality... Read More of a meal. Chris worked with us for the perfect menu and he went above and beyond. His Menu was top notch and creative. The flavors were out of this world. We all felt the cost of the meal was extremely reasonable before we ate. We felt like we got a bargain after the meal was complete. The portions were the right size for everyone. If there was anything I could say they could have done better......well, I'd say it. There was nothing I can think of or anyone at dinner could think of that could have gone better. Everything was perfect for the occasion. The professionalism Chris showed was top notch as well. They left the kitchen cleaner than when they showed up. They were polite and patient. You couldn't do better than hiring Chris!

Reviewed on 6/20/2017 Tom D

What can I say about Dominic and the staff of California Cuisine? Not enough, they made an absolute flawless day for me and my new husband. To anyone who is in the market for a great caterer for your next event, be it a wedding, anniversary, birthday, or any other occasion you... Read More would be hard pressed to find anyone more professional then these guys. Not only was our food fabulous, especially those delectable truffles for dessert, but Dominic went above and beyond when it came to our wedding. While his staff did man our bar, Dominic allowed me to order my own wine and beer. Unbeknownst, to us or the California Cuisine staff, my liquor supplier had sent two different reds, instead of the red and white I had ordered. we would have never even realized, except my friend who had been with us when we ordered the wine was at cocktail hour and made the bar aware of this mistake. Dominic, without hesitation, got in his car and ran to the nearest liquor store and purchased us our white wine! Amazing! He made sure that, even though the mistake was not his, we would not have to stress about a single thing on this magical day. The white wine was ready to pour by the time my husband and I were finished with pictures and ready for a glass. And yes, this was a same sex wedding, so I would add for any of my friends in the LBBTQ community who are wishing to do a fabulous wedding, then Dominic and the staff at California Cuisine should be your first call. Again, a huge thank you to Dominic and staff, and I wish this site allowed us to post some pictures of how they transformed a pretty venue, into a gorgeous one. Check out their web site http://californiacuisinecatering.com/.

Reviewed on 5/15/2017 Katherine W

Dominic and California Cuisine were a great choice for our wedding! Dominic was the first caterer we met with, and he impressed us with his passion for the food, not to mention his experience with weddings and other big events. Even as we met with more caterers, he stood out,... Read More and we couldn’t have been happier with our decision. He provided great suggestions on how to keep the event within our budget without feeling like we were skimping on the details, as well as on other aspects of planning the reception. The chef was very open to our requests to substitute ingredients and the food was delicious, both at our tasting and on the day of! Dominic took great care of us, making sure we had some appetizers (and champagne!) delivered to us while we were doing post-ceremony photos, so that we had a chance to enjoy the delicious food we had picked out. Overall, I would use California Cuisine again in a heartbeat for any nice, catered event!

Reviewed on 5/05/2017

We used the approved vendor list for the Darlington House in La Jolla to find our caterer. The Social Service League of La Jolla runs and uses this venue to support 52 apartments for low income Seniors. California Cuisine was highly recommended to us by fellow members of... Read More the Social Service League who regularly host at the weddings. The owner, Dominic Duganne, is a pleasure to work with. His professionalism and that of his staff is top notch, and the food is delicious. Our guests commented on the quality of the food and the superior service. Every detail was attended to making it a lovely evening with delectable food. We are so happy we chose California Cuisine and can heartily recommend them.

Reviewed on 11/20/2016 Hilary O

My husband and I recently got married this past October. Dominic and the California Cuisine Catering staff were terrific, from start to finish! Dominic was extremely professional and helpful, and he was very pleasant to work with as well! Dominic and I communicated for a year... Read More before my wedding and I felt as though he was a wonderful resource throughout the entire process-from referring our wonderful Coordinator to answering our questions about Bevmo, he always seemed available to help. The appetizers and dinner course at our wedding were amazing, and we received a lot of feedback from our guests indicating that they very much agreed! I would highly recommend using Dominic and California Catering for you wedding, or any other celebratory event, they will not let you down!

2017-04-11T17:26:07 Response from the vendor

Thanks again for your review on the Knot- Would you mind copy and paste the above review onto the Wedding Wire? Id sure appreciate it ! Thanks, Dominic https://www.weddingwire.com/review/CaliforniaCuisineCatering

Reviewed on 10/03/2016 Dana B

I loved working with California Cuisine and am very happy that we used them as our caterer for our wedding. Dominic is very professional and throughout the entire wedding process, Dominic was a joy to work with. His prices were very reasonable compared to other caterers I had... Read More reached out to. He was flexible and amenable during the initial tasting stage and he made the whole process fun. He always responded to me promptly which I very much appreciated. He has been in the catering business for a long time, so I felt very confident with him at the helm. Weddings are crazy and stressful but with him as the catering lead, I felt like I could relax and enjoy my day and I knew he would take care of any issues which is the most important part. He knew my venue well (The Darlington House in La Jolla) which made the whole process a breeze. The food was fantastic the whole day was seamless. Overall, I absolutely enjoyed working with California Cuisine and would absolutely recommend them as a wedding caterer. Thank you again Dominic and team!

2017-04-11T17:26:37 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 8/29/2016 Lindsey H

We were so pleased with California Cuisine's service at our wedding. They helped specially form a menu off our travels and their creations were fresh and delicious tasting. Their staff was kind and helpful and cleaned up very effectively, which was very important due to the... Read More wedding being at our home. The day of the wedding I barely had to say a word, they were able to execute my vision with the help of my planner and I'm very happy with how the day turned out. Pros: -DELICIOUS food that was creative and exciting -Dominic is great to work with and is excited to craft your experience to you. -The chef is wonderful and highly skilled. -Beautiful plating and food design. -The staff is very friendly and helpful, my guests even mentioned how lovely the service staff were. -The tray passed appetizers were wonderful and talked about constantly through the evening and beyond Cons: -The cost was a bit higher than I had hoped (But over all my husband and I agree that they were worth it) -The bartenders were only OK, but this is something we have very high standards for since one of my bridesmaids is a highly trained bartender. Overall, go with California Cuisine if you want AMAZING and MEMORABLE food for your wedding. We wanted our food to be high quality and I feel like my vision was passed through their prism and was beautifully orchestrated.

2017-04-11T17:26:50 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 8/15/2016 Bree W

Dominic, Chris and staff were easy to work with, fun, personable and always willing to go the extra mile! Their creativity and organization were a crucial part in making our wedding extra special! Food was amazing and cooked to perfection! Presentation was absolutely beautiful!... Read More Guests were amazed by not only quality of the food, but the seamlessness of the night, which is indicative of the type of service California Cuisine provides!

2017-04-11T17:26:58 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 4/28/2016 Annie M

After reading such raving reviews on California Cuisine, I was excited about the possibility of having them cater my own wedding. Unfortunately, the initial interaction my fiance and I had with the catering director deterred us from moving forward with their services. To... Read More begin, he missed our initial phone appointment and never reached back out to schedule a new time. My fiance set up another call with the catering director, and it took him two weeks to get back catering and rental proposals for a standard 100 person wedding. For all the other caterers we have been working with, the turnaround time for proposals has only been a few days. Despite the time lapse, I understand that people get busy, but some notice would have been greatly appreciated. What makes me so disappointed in California Cuisine was not this delay, but the fact that, after two weeks of waiting, we were sent sample menus and an OLD rental proposal dated back from 2013! As such, the proposal was not customized, did not include specific details discussed on the phone call, and even included non-standard catering items that we didn't ask for (for example, heating lamps - we are getting married in the summer). We went out of our way to postponed final negotiations with other caterers in hopes of working with California Cuisine. I don't doubt that their service is unbelievable, but the hastiness and unprofessional demeanor we experienced in the outset of our catering inquiry was enough to go with another caterer with just as excellent reviews.

2016-04-28T23:54:19 Response from the vendor

Im sorry for your disappointment, I was very busy w several current caterings and perhaps was not as diligent about getting a proposal to you sooner even though your wedding is well over a year away- I appreciate your feedback, it does help us to... Read Less Read More

California Cuisine is great!

Reviewed on 11/10/2015 Ryan D

We used California Cuisine Catering for our wedding and we couldn't have better happier! Right from the beginning, we appreciated Dominic's persistence in following up with us, as we both were balancing wedding planning and a lot of work travel. Second, we very much appreciated... Read More Dominic and Chris coming to us at our house to have the tasting. Once we took the first few bites, we knew we had found our caterer. The diversity in the menu was just as high as the quality, taste and presentation in the food! Once we had told our guests about the menu for the wedding, everyone was very excited and CC delivered again during the wedding where we received many compliments throughout the night (especially on the pesto, seabass and au gratin!). BIG thanks to Dominic, Chris and the rest of the staff for delivering on a great experience!!!

2017-04-11T17:27:07 Response from the vendor

The Food was Amazing!

Reviewed on 10/30/2015

Food for your guests is very important and we were so happy to have selected California Cuisine to cater our wedding. The food was so good and the service was even better! Dominic and his team did an outstanding job to make our big day a huge success. From the first day we met... Read More with California Cuisine we knew that we were going to make the right decision. Dominic certainly knows how to make you feel at ease and made some outstanding recommendations. We can't say enough about how great things turned out. Thank you California Cuisine!

2017-04-11T17:27:15 Response from the vendor

Wedding at the Darlington House

Reviewed on 10/27/2015 Jeanie K

My husband and I got married at the Darlington House in La Jolla. They have a required list of caterers to choose from, so we contacted all of them. Well, as it turns out, most of them were too hoity-toity to work with our budget. They would try to talk us into increasing our... Read More budget, making us feel ashamed and tireless. Until we contacted California Cuisine Catering. Dominic was extremely friendly and, off the bat, willing to work with our budget. Together, we revised our menu based on our food preferences and pricing, and came up with a delicious meal that all our guest enjoyed. Closer to our wedding day, we contacted Dominic to carry out a few extra tasks (beverages, napkin arrangements, and etc.), which he executed beautifully day of. Both food and service were on point on our wedding day. We were all around very pleased with California Cuisine Catering, and would highly recommend them to cater your wedding!

2015-10-27T17:20:14 Response from the vendor

Thanks SO much for your lovely review- It was truly OUR joy to be of service ! All the Best -Dominic D

1st Class Catering

Reviewed on 8/15/2015 Abigail D

Dominic and his team are so dependable and really took charge to accommodate us (bride and groom). Most people say they don't get to even eat the food at their wedding - we DID! Dominic made sure we had plates at our sweetheart table while our guests went through the buffet. We... Read More also never had to even visit the bar since a server was at our table every 10 minutes to check on us. California Cuisines really is first rate. People are still talking about the delicious food - we've heard more than a few times it was the best wedding food they've ever had and I don't doubt it. The day of food was just as delicious as the tasting. I thought it was a little pricey at first but with the servers, personalized attention, bar tending and seamless set-up/break down, it is an absolutely great value!

2017-04-11T17:27:25 Response from the vendor

Family Friend's Wedding

Reviewed on 8/10/2015

Last month a family friend was married and we found Dominic at California Cuisine to cater her wedding. She had a small budget to work with, but wanted a sit down dinner and Dominic was able to help make that dream happen with her limited resources. He and his staff did a... Read More beautiful job with the delicious meal, and the help they offered with setting up the reception was wonderful and the room looked beautiful. Our working relationship from start to finish was fantastic. I was manly in contact with him since the bride was from out of state and he was always very friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. He had another wedding to cater the same day as ours, and I am sure it was a bigger budget wedding, but he managed to give us the attention we needed and was there when dinner was being served to see that we were happy with everything. The rest of the staff was there to take care of any of our needs and they were so helpful and friendly, something that is important to me. I would definitely recommend CA Cuisine to anyone looking for a caterer for their next event.

2015-08-10T14:43:29 Response from the vendor

Celine- Thanks a bunch for your hard work that day too ! You were a joy to work with and I trust the happy couple are off to the best of beginnings ! -Dominic

Flexible and Great food

Reviewed on 6/10/2015 Dejah U

Dominic and his team were truly incredible. They we're flexible with the on the spot time and scheduling changes, they helped out with things completely out of their scope, and the food - wow - the food was delicious. I didn't think food prepared for more than 80 people at once... Read More could taste so good. He and his team were very professional and attentive to our guests. They went above and beyond in so many ways. We had a backyard wedding and rented glasses for the bar. We miscalculated, and ran out of glasses. This WAS NOT Dominic's responsibility, and yet he and his team started washing glasses to keep the bar going. Wow! I would hire California Cuisine again for ANY event.

2015-06-11T09:22:43 Response from the vendor

Thanks Dejah ! It was joy working with you as well- I look forward to any future endeavors. -Dominic

Amazing food and service!

Reviewed on 3/01/2015 Garry D

We chose California Cuisine (CC) to cater our wedding after doing tastings with several caterers that were similarly priced. CC was by far the best choice. My husband is a chef, and it's difficult to impress him with food, but he was impressed with CC. Everything was seasoned... Read More well, and the dishes were flavorful and interesting. The presentation on everything was beautiful, from the spun honey on the cheese plate to the individual desserts at the end of the night. All of our guests raved about how good the food was. Dominic was our point of contact from start to finish. He was very responsive to emails from the time we set up the tasting to the day of. He was super flexible too, providing items that other caterers would have nickled and dimed us. He went above and beyond, stopping by to check out the space a few days ahead to make sure everything was ready for the day of. The accompanying staff were also super professional and a pleasure to work with. We would recommend California Cuisine to anyone, hands down.

2015-03-02T15:31:21 Response from the vendor

B & G- Thanks for choosing us to Cater your wedding. It was a joy! Your families were so helpful and very sweet. The assortment of home brew was amazing ! It truly was the highlight of the evening ! Thanks again, Dominic- California Cuisine

Perfect!

Reviewed on 2/17/2015 Jessica R

Cali Cuisine was Absolutely Amazing!! Can't say enough great things. From the first time I spoke with Dominic on the phone I trusted that this was the company to go with and they continued to prove that right. The tasting was fantastic, he even didn't mind having 6 of us there... Read More as I wanted to invite both sets of parents. The service at the wedding was impeccable, the food was delicious, all the guests loved it. Would def recommend and will for sure hire again if I ever need a caterer in San Diego again.

2015-02-17T18:57:42 Response from the vendor

JRG- Great to be a part of your Wedding. Absolutely one of the prettiest Ceremonies Ive ever seen ! You and B were a joy to work with. Stay in touch, and best wishes, Dominic and California Cuisine

Fabulous Wedding Caterers on 01-02-2015

Reviewed on 1/08/2015

From the moment I contacted Dominic at California Caterers, I was impressed. He always responded promptly to my emails. He was so easy & flexible to work with. My daughter & her fiance were only available for a couple of days during the Thanksgiving week to preview the fare,... Read More and he fit us right in for a personal tasting. The tasting was supposed to be for 4 people, but we ended up having 5 there, and when I mentioned it to him on the phone, he was kind enough to bring enough for all 5 of us for the same price--which was also included in our total cost. The food at the tasting was fabulous! As our reception drew closer, I ended up having to make 3 or 4 different revisions to my initial contract, and he was so patient revising it and sending it back to me- all in a timely manner. The evening of our reception, he and his staff were there to set up in plenty of time. He was very familiar with that venue. The food that evening was simply fabulous! Chris, the chef, has a real gift. The food was not only presented beautifully, but it was just as delicious eating it that evening at the buffet for 200 people, as it was when we had it for 5 people at the tasting. That to me, is quite an accomplishment. I was impressed that the food was so fresh and flavorful, with a unique and subtle sophistication to its flavors. Also, I had earlier told Dominic that we were going to have a few people who needed gluten-free/vegetarian fare, so he had the chef whip up a marvelous separate entree just for them. We got many, many compliments on the food. I ordered enough food for 250 people, and even though we only had just under 200 attend, almost all of it was eaten that evening by the guests. The staff was kind enough to box up the extras and send them home with us. They were courteous, pleasant, and very professional. Each of them bent over backwards to help out in any way they could. The pricing was also very reasonable. My daughter and I called several venues and priced them out, and California Cuisine was one of the most equitable by far. Not only that, but I could tell Dominic (and the entire staff) really cared about their quality of product and service. All in all, I cannot think of a thing I would change. I'm still getting compliments about the food from that evening!

2015-01-11T11:23:52 Response from the vendor

Thank Mrs. H- I really appreciate your kind words. Im pleased that we lived up to your expectations. -Dominic

Great service and value

Reviewed on 11/12/2014 Katie Rose T

I was fortunate enough to have California Cuisine cater my daughter's wedding and they did a fabulous job! Dominic, his chef, servers and bartenders did a great job not only preparing for the day but also day of when the timeline was rearranged. Everyone was very friendly and... Read More knowledgeable about events. Dominic was a blessing during this whole process which made it much easier on the mother of the bride. Thank you again to Dominic & Co!

2017-04-11T17:27:44 Response from the vendor

Excellent Caterer for Authentic Cuisine

Reviewed on 11/11/2014 Akeila R

California Cuisine was a jewel to my bride and groom throughout their wedding planning process and reception event. Among the options referred by The Darlington House venue in La Jolla, CA, CC was the single caterer able to capture the unique essence of specific Filipino and... Read More Puerto Rican cuisine. Dominic and his chef worked diligently to incorporate recipes and ingredients that reflected the true nature of the couple's menu items and ultimately met the expectations of guests and family members. As the wedding coordinator, I found the CC crew to be flexible and extremely accommodating on the day of the event, quickly working to set up all of the reception decor in a detailed and exclusively chic manner with minimal direction. Working with this vendor was an overall success. I would recommend CC for your next wedding event.

2014-11-12T05:52:42 Response from the vendor

Bravo ! Hope to cross paths again someday Dominic

Great Caterer

Reviewed on 10/30/2014

Weddings are usually the biggest party that any of us will ever throw. That being said, the importance of great vendors is critical to ensuring a smooth and successful event. Dominic was easy to work with from the first moment I called to inquire. Dominic set up a great... Read More tasting with Chef Chris. My bride was very particular about how she wanted the food, and Chef Chris was on point and we decided immediately that we wanted to use California Cuisine (we did one previous tasting that...didn't go so well.) The food was extraordinary, and just what we agreed upon. The service during the event was top-notch and my guests were raving about the catering services at my wedding. I don't plan on getting married again, but I will use California Cuisine for any special event that we have that needs an exceptional caterer. Edwin

2014-10-30T18:26:13 Response from the vendor

Edwin- Im glad you were pleased! Nothing makes us happier than a great review. -Dominic