Welcome to Closer North.

We are based near Acadia National Park and do travel. There is over 5 of us that can meet different styles and budgets. Check out our website for gallery samples and choose your favorite photographer! We have a love for natural light, landscapes, candid moments, and adventurous couples. Contact Erica for straight up pricing, availability, and find your wedding photography style.

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Dramatic, Lifestyle, Modern, Vintage

Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Weddings, Digital Files, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing

Bar Harbor, ME | Portsmouth, NH (207) 902-2122

Reviewed on 8/14/2016 Jenna Y

Let me start by saying, before my actual wedding day I had not met Erica. I had followed Closer North on Facebook for a long time and always swooned at the moments she captured and her style of photography captivated me. Photos are the only visual memories you will have from... Read More your day, so to me, this would be the most important decision of the entire planning process. From day 1 of booking her services she was always available by phone or email to answer questions or provide insight and help in any way when needed. She was a pure delight to work with and I would highly reccomend her for your wedding. She was professional, gracious and accomodating. She captured the moments I wanted specifically and then some. You have an incredibly artistic eye and it is clear to me that you are very passionate about what you do. You even made my husband ( who hates his photograph taken) feel comfortable in front of the lens, which is a feat in of itself. Thank you again, Erica! We LOVE our photos and are so very grateful we chose to work with you on our day. All Our Best, Jenna and Justin

Reviewed on 6/30/2016

Wedding photography is such an important piece of the wedding process. Now that my wedding is in the past (married June 2016) I truly understand how special it is to look back at the wedding photos. I could not have made a better choice when choosing Erica and Closer North... Read More for the job. Erica is an amazing photographer with a special talent for capturing nature and emotion. Working with Erica was a pleasure. She was very professional and engaging from start to finish. The day of our wedding, we had on and off rain. Erica was about to work with our changing schedule and still capture some amazing photos. Her calm and professional demeanor was greatly appreciated. I cannot recommend Erica enough. We are so happy with how everything came out. Thank you Erica!!

Reviewed on 11/16/2015 Brooke

Choosing Closer North was by far one of the best decisions I made while planning my wedding. Erica captured not only our wedding day perfectly, but also did our engagement photos. I still look at them and get butterflies, just like I'm reliving each moment she captured. We will... Read More be working with her again this coming Wednesday, and I am so excited and have complete faith that these photos and the attention to detail will be just as perfect as the others she has taken. We will definitely be using her again to capture our milestones. She's professional, organized, fun and absolutely amazing at what she does! Highly recommended.

Reviewed on 4/28/2017 Josh E

Erica is incredible. She was a pleasure to work with throughout the day. She makes you feel extremely comfortable – it's like you're there with a friend. She's quick and efficient; and very talented. Our photos are absolutely amazing!

Reviewed on 2/09/2017 Haley T

I spent a great deal of time researching photographers to capture our special day. I considered the photographer to be one of the most important investments we would make towards our wedding. I had seen Erica's photography before, and after looking at many other wedding... Read More photographers' FB pages, I quickly realized that her work couldn't even begin to compare to others. From the moment I booked Closer North, Erica was consistently prompt with emails, answering questions, and always asking me if there was anything she could do to help me! She helped me to put together the timeline for the day of the wedding (something that was really stressing me out) and that was such a huge relief to me to have someone so helpful. The day of the wedding, Erica and Jordan not only beautiful captured our day through their photos, but they helped the events of the day to flow together seamlessly. Erica has such an artistic eye and is so attentive to detail, I guarantee she will capture every important moment during your wedding day and then some; she surely did with ours. Erica and Jordan even braved the cold with us so that we could get the winter shots I had been wanting so badly! Overall, I would recommend Closer North over and over again to anyone that asks. Your wedding photos are photos that you will look at and show to others for the rest of your life; I am so glad that I chose Closer North and that I have their beautiful photography to remember my wedding day by.

Reviewed on 11/27/2016 Happy B

Erica and Jordan were the photographers for our wedding at the Mountain Top Inn & Resort in VT on 9/30/16. One of the most important vendors for my Husband and I was our photographer. We wanted to make sure someone would capture all the moments of our day so we could relive it... Read More for years to come. Without a doubt, Erica and Jordan did that and so much more. Words cannot describe how incredibly happy I am with choosing Closer North Photographer. From the first time we met Erica at our engagement photos until the wedding she made both of us feel so comfortable and at ease. On our wedding day Erica was seriously one of my favorite people. I truly felt like I could relax because she was so organized and kept us on schedule. All our wedding photos came out so amazingly beautiful and it is because our wonderful photographers can capture the most unique and natural photos. I would highly recommend Closer North Photography to any couple!!

Reviewed on 11/27/2016 Danielle (

This review of Closer North and our photographer Erica is long overdue from our wedding this past July in Bar Harbor. Erica is an exceptionally talented photographer and I would highly recommend her to any other couples or families. I loved how easy-going Erica was while still... Read More remaining extremely professional (not to mention her prices are much lower than many competitors without sacrificing quality). She helped me feel calm but also beautiful and confident on my wedding day. Even when my now-husband realized he forgot to shave during the first-look, she helped us laugh it off and take some time before the ceremony to regroup, shake off any stress, and let my fiance quickly shave :) We have some pretty spectacular photos from the wedding thanks to Erica, and the only challenge is that we have too many great photos to choose from. Thank you, Erica! -Danielle & Jose

Reviewed on 11/27/2016 Danielle (

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Sarah D

We had the absolute pleasure of working with multiple photographers from Closer North this past August! We were very fortunate to have Erica capture our engagement photos at Fort Knox in Maine (a venue she suggested!). Having professional photos taken can sometimes feel a bit... Read More uncomfortable or even awkward, but within minutes Erica made us feel at ease and guided us through the process. As soon as we received our beautifully edited engagement photos, within what felt like no time, we knew we had made the right choice for our wedding! Erica continued to help us through the planning process, including a well thought out photographic timeline to help us organize our day. This was all mostly done via e-mail, which was the most convenient form of communication for us since we were planning our Maine wedding from Massachusetts. Erica was often quick to respond to any inquires or questions we had surrounding the details of our wedding, and we felt stress free by the time our big day had arrived (when it came to the photography!). We were very fortunate to work with Nikki and Jordan on our actual wedding day. They were both very professional, yet easy-going & friendly which helped put us at ease. Everything felt organized, and they were very efficient in getting the photos we wanted after the ceremony done in a timely manner, which we appreciated. They were with us all the way from getting ready at the hotel until people started to trickle out of the reception. Many of our guests commented on how non-intrusive Nikki and Jordan both were, and how they seemed to “blend in” with the wedding. As expected from our experience with our engagement photos, Erica had our wedding photos edited and mailed to us in such a timely and efficient manner. One that is almost unheard of in the photography industry! Erica’s editing skills are superior and wonderful, and we were pleased with all the details and moments Nikki and Jordan were able to capture. We would highly recommend Closer North for wedding and other photography needs! You certainly get what you pay for.

Reviewed on 10/16/2016

We absolutely loved Closer North, Erica was AMAZING!!! From start to finish she was there capturing our wedding and we are so thankful to her. Erica's style is beautiful and she makes you feel so comfortable. Erica was very professional and is an incredibly talented... Read More photographer!! We look forward to working with her again!

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Catherine W

Erica was a blessing on our wedding day! She was always there when you needed her but was also not too intrusive during those intimate moments - yet she managed to capture everything! Even with rain on our wedding day Erica helped keep the stress level down and stayed positive... Read More through the whole process. She even braved the rain with a smile in order to capture some special moments. Not one of our photos looked unnatural or posed, and I love how she captured all the candid moments I would not have had the chance to appreciate otherwise.

Reviewed on 9/20/2016 Courtney G

I can not express how grateful I am to Erica for all of her amazing work. She was very easy to work with and I felt comfortable with her right away. I love looking at all of the images she captured of our special day. She is truly gifted!

Reviewed on 9/18/2016 Natalie C

I can't say enough about Erica and Jordan. They are clearly so very talented and not only at capturing people in moments that accentuate their best qualities, but in such beautiful settings. They are very professional, quick to return photos and so comforting to work with. They... Read More listen to what you need from them. Such talented and beautiful people! Thank you!!

Reviewed on 9/11/2016 Brooke B

I was a guest at my best friends wedding on 9/3/16. She put so much time and effort into her big day . Her one request no matter what was Closer North ( Erica specific) be her photographer . Erica was so patient and attentive to the bride and groom . She took lots of photos of... Read More the guest and the bridal party. She has posted one photo so far and it's absolutely breath taking . My best friend is on cloud nine from her wedding and the photos will bring back all those wonderful memories of her big day and that we can thank Closer North.

Reviewed on 9/11/2016 Amy L

Erica and Jordan are amazing at what they do. To just call Erica and Jordan photographers would not serve them justice. Closer North captures memories and moments that mean so much to people. Erics is the most caring photographer I have ever met she made sure every detail of... Read More my 9/3/16 wedding was planned, reviewed and executed. She cares about her clients and they become family . If she wasn't so good at what she does she would of been a guest at my wedding, she has been a important person in mine and my husband Jason's life . She has captured so many family photos for us and the wedding was no different . She will Continue to always capture our family. I have a desire to have gorgeous photos much like anyone else who hires a professional photographer and Erica and Jordan have never let me or anyone for that matter down. I love to follow Closer North page and just look at random families photos and seeing their memories warms my heart . I enjoy getting to see all the joy and detail in their work. I would not have gone with any other wedding photographer , I would of moved my date if Erica was not available. I can not say enough about Closer North. I would recommend them to anyone looking to have amazing memories of your family or your special Day.

Reviewed on 9/09/2016 Diana D

Thank you Erica & Jordan! I highly recommend Closer North for Engagement and Wedding Photography! We are thrilled that we were able to have Erica and Jordan be our wedding photographers at our July 2016 wedding in Maine. Closer North was SO easy to work with every step of the... Read More way! During our wedding day Erica and Jordan were professional and calm which allowed us to just enjoy the day and take it all in knowing we had a good team capturing our memories. We cannot put in to words how fantastic both our engagement and wedding day photos came out! Closer North has an eye for beautifully capturing each moment. We were so surprised and excited that just two weeks later our edited photographs were on a flash drive in our mail box for us! We had a truly wonderful experience with Closer North and will cherish our photos forever!

Reviewed on 9/09/2016 Alyssa L

Erica and Nicky where wonderful on my wedding day. They were very accommodating to my wishes. I had a vision and without even telling them they captured it perfectly. I will forever cherish the photos of my wedding day. Thank you to Erica and Nicky!

Reviewed on 9/02/2016 Sarah L

My best friend married her sweetheart this past May and they used Closer North to capture one of the best and most important days in their lives. We were just reflecting on the wedding last night and how amazing it was. We were looking at the photos a few days ago and they... Read More were absolutely stunning. Erica Leighton is one of the most talented photographers I have ever seen. Not only is she amazing at capturing the typical wedding memories, but she also captured the special candid moments that really showed the love and support that surrounded this union. From the moment I, a bridesmaid, met Erica, I was completely comfortable with her. She was incredibly professional while remaining extremely personable and friendly. It appeared as though she and the Bride and Groom were old friends, people actually asked how long they knew each other for! Erica made me especially feel comfortable when it was time to get the final touches done and provided input when I wasn’t sure about certain things. I would recommend her to anyone close enough to hire her! Thanks Erica for being so wonderful and amazing, and for helping my best friend enjoy and cherish the memories of her wedding for the rest of her life.

2016-09-02T11:27:54 Response from the vendor

What a heartfelt review! I love it, thank you so very much. It's really hard for me when I do leave at the end of the night. Thinking I may not see any of you again and feeling like apart of your families during that... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 8/28/2016 Krystle S

I highly recommend Closer North! Erica is just amazing! She is extremely talented and is super easy to work with! We had our engagement and wedding pictures captured by Erica and I can not express how much we LOVE all of our pictures. They are just stunning. Her photographs... Read More really capture every moment/story of our wedding day. We have received so many compliments on our pictures. We love Closer North and would love to work with Erica in the future:)

Reviewed on 7/28/2016 Kristy R

Erica and Jordan are awesome!! My wife and I were married on May 14th of this year and we cannot ever thank them enough for providing us with memories that will last a lifetime! During the ceremony, they were both very non-intrusive and accommodating to our needs while still... Read More managing to take some of the most breathtaking photos we have ever seen!!! From the bottom of our hearts, Thank you!

Reviewed on 7/28/2016 Erin M

Ember and Nicky photographed our wedding this July and we could not be more thrilled with the results. Not only were they both extremely warm and friendly on the day which made us feel comfortable and at ease, but they were easy to work with, very professional and great at... Read More giving us subtle direction in order to capture some truly spectacular photos. We are so happy to have such wonderful memories of the best day of our lives and we could not recommend Closer North more highly. Erica was extremely responsive and communicative throughout the planning process and had highlights for us to look at just a week after the wedding. Thank you Ember, Nicky, Erica and Closer North!

Reviewed on 7/06/2016

Erica photographed my wedding in June. We were so beyond pleased with the results. We had a very intimate ceremony so capturing it to share with family and friends was very important. Erica's photos are beyond gorgeous. Additionally, Erica is amazing to work with. She's... Read More responsive, chatted with me on the phone for a long-time, provided some helpful direction before and during the big day, and edited the photos extremely quickly. I would highly recommend Erica to anyone looking for a photographer. I couldn't be happier with my choice!

Reviewed on 6/20/2016 Jessica C

Erica and Jordan of Closer North captured our wedding over Memorial Day weekend. My husband and I are so grateful to have worked with such a professional, talented and fun loving duo. I first found Closer North on TheKnot.com in May 2015, when I was early on in planning our... Read More wedding. The company had wonderful reviews on the site and the photos they showcased were stunning. I was even more blown away when I followed the link to their site. It was so professional and very easy to navigate. The quality of the photos and a shared vision of incorporating nature into the photography is what won me over. My husband and I did an engagement shoot with Erica and Jordan, which was included in the package we chose. I found them both to be so easy going, it really helped us to relax and be ourselves in front of the camera. I am so glad we had the opportunity to meet them prior to the wedding, because it gave us more of a sense of what to expect on the day of the wedding, when our minds were on a million other things. I would highly recommend doing the engagement shoot. Erica’s turnaround time was so quick, posting highlights on Facebook the following week and mailing us a flash drive with all of the photos soon after. The phots come fully edited in color and black and white and a release was included so we can make as many copies as we like. Erica was very professional and organized through the whole process. We kept up do date via email and she was so prompt at answering all of my questions. She worked with me and my husband to come up with a time line, in order to capture everything we wanted. This is something I really appreciated because I am a big planner. On the day of the wedding it was comforting seeing Erica and Jordan. I had full confidence that they would be able to capture our wedding with the vision I was going for. The whole experience with the two of them was amazing. If we asked them to photograph something they were right on it. They did a fantastic job of paying attention to detail. They made the whole process so easy. Our wedding was the best day of our lives. We get to look back on that day and relive it over and over again through Erica and Jordan’s beautiful photographs. When Erica first posted the sneak peaks on Facebook I got emotional. I was so happy to see our wedding captured so perfectly. I had the flash drive with all of the photos and full rights within 2 weeks of the wedding. I couldn’t believe the incredible amount of work she did in such a short amount of time. We can’t thank Erica and Jordan enough for sharing their amazing talent with us. They are the entire package and worth every penny.

Reviewed on 3/31/2016 ????????? ?

Thank you for the event, you are awesome.

2016-03-31T11:28:08 Response from the vendor

You are so welcome! I'm not sure who you are based on review but I truly appreciate you taking the time to leave a review!

Reviewed on 11/18/2015 Jason S

I am someone who would much rather be behind a camera. I am VERY camera shy and don't like my picture being taken; however, Closer North has done my family pictures, engagement photos and she also captured my wedding. Each time she made me feel so comfortable and natural. I... Read More absolutely love each and every picture that I received from Closer North. Erica does an incredible job at capturing not only beautiful images but the love in each photograph. I strongly recommend Closer North, you will not be disappointed!

Erica Leighton

Attended Maine college of Art and Wright state University. Self-trained digital designer, and specializes in Wedding/Lifestyle photography. Currently resides in Maine since 2009. Some accomplishments include children's book illustration, restaurant menu design, event photography, and photography workshop teacher. Focus on travel and pushing my artistic comfort level. Did I mention I love dogs? ;)