Coastline Studios

Grand Rapids, MI

Filming the Art of Life

Our singular focus is to create stunningly unique wedding films that are tailored to each individual couple's style & personality. With a focus on premium cinematic coverage mixed with editing excellence, we aim to create a film that is as special you & will help you relive your wedding day forever!

Rehearsals + Parties, Wedding

Digital Files, Full-Length Video, Highlight Video, Video, Photo + Video

401 Hall St SW, Grand Rapids, MI

Beyond belief

Reviewed on 2/08/2012 Sara D

Hiring Coastline Studios was the absolute best unexpected decision we made about our wedding. Until a few months before the big day, we wrote off the idea of videography all together. We didn’t think we could fit video into our budget, and we didn’t think anyone would watch it... Read More after the wedding anyway. But then I discovered Coastline and everything changed… John’s friendly, caring personality and obvious passion for videography absolutely won me over. The sample films he showed me also swayed the decision -- His finished films are MAGICAL! We ended up booking his Cinematic package, which included a jib, long trailer, and longer finished film. Having Coastline with us on our wedding day was wonderful. A few things you should to know about what it’s like: • The entire Coastline crew is FUN. These guys totally fit in with our family and friends and were friendly without being intrusive. • The amount of equipment Coastline utilizes is ASTOUNDING. Yes, their services can seem pricey, but you should see the lighting, microphones, cameras, tripods, and other crazy stuff they bring to make your video look like a serious Hollywood movie. Your budget videographers definitely will not offer all this. • ALL of the crew are PROFESSIONALS. The whole team discusses lighting, color balance, the best angles, and where to hide so you can’t see them (which I only know because he told me afterward, not because I noticed it on the day of). They also dress very professionally, including wearing khaki pants and black logoed polos on our 90+ degree July day (yikes!). • They are COMMITTED. Mother Nature made our wedding day a little crazy. Coastline was flexible and kept rolling through it all to ensure our film reflected our whole day. As for the finished product, I am almost speechless. Our trailer and wedding film are authentic, beautiful, emotional, and unlike anything I’ve ever seen. The colors are vibrant. The music is perfect. Our families and friends absolutely loved watching it and have asked to watch multiple times. To sum it up, here are a few words from the email I sent John after it all: “I feel as though you read my mind as to what I hoped to share about the day… I know our wedding and its videography presented some unusual challenges, but you all seized them and were not at all put off by the extra effort required to present our story. You are each truly special and we appreciate your obvious dedication to your craft.” Hire John and his amazing team. You won’t regret it!

Very Happy

Reviewed on 9/05/2013 Brendan W

We couldn't be happier with Coastline Studios. They are a really talented group of people and I would recommend their services to anyone. Both of our families were blown away by their wedding trailers and kept commenting on how professional and nice the team was on the wedding... Read More day! We can't wait to see the full wedding video!

Reviewed on 9/05/2013 adam k

As a professional myself with many high expectations of the people I work with, I rarely extend my highest admiration and support, but with Coastline Studios it is easy for me to do! You will not find a more talented, professional, and pleasant video productions company than... Read More Coastline Studios. They helped me transform my wild and crazy ideas for an event into a reality that far surpassed even my highest expectations. They were always on time, always ready, and captured shots so beautiful that make Hollywood movies look like amateur productions. From the initial consultation to the final screening of our video, Coastline Studios consistently impressed me. There were several productions companies that I spoke with on the phone from all around the country as candidates to film my event, but Coastline became the obvious choice for me very quickly. They will always go the extra mile for you and create a product that will blow your mind. Even though I could talk endlessly about their unmistaken high level of professionalism, the element that captivated me the most was their unparalleled ability to capture emotions and transport the viewer back into the event, so that the viewer can genuinely relive the experience. For weddings, I can't imagine what you could want more than that. There are so many beautiful emotions and spectacular moments on a wedding day, and THAT is after all what matters most. Coastline Studios will capture them ALL. We will be watching our video our entire lives, and we couldn't be more grateful to Coastline Studios for creating it for us. When you hire Coastline Studios, you are hiring the best. I will recommend them for as long as I live! THANK YOU COASTLINE STUDIOS!!!!!!!!!

A stunning way to capture special memories

Reviewed on 7/28/2015 Kaitlyn M

I cannot speak more highly of Coastline Studios and their entire team. They are friendly, professional, and best of all, they thoroughly enjoy what they do. They make it known they want to capture what you want, not what they think should be captured....and they do a wonderful... Read More job making you feel at ease with the entire process. I worked directly with John and Kate. Kate helped with all the behind the scenes/business aspect such as booking, payments, and answering emails. John met with me in person to get to know me and my now husband so he knew us on a deeper and more personal level. Not only was this helpful for John and his team, but it put me more at ease just knowing how genuine John was, and knowing he really wanted to create something special for us. I was hesitant to book a videographer because let's face it, it's expensive! I was married in mid June and thus far we have only received our trailer, the short clip that summarizes your big day, and I have to admit just the trailer is worth the money. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it gave me goosebumps...and it was under 4 minutes :) At this point I can't imagine what the longer version will be like, but to say the least...I am VERY excited for it. My husband and I talked about whether the cost was worth the product, and ultimately decided that it's a day that we'll only experience once and having it in video form would be a special memento. And it is indeed!! It's a way for us to look back on our magical day, and is something we will be able to share with our families now and in the far future. Plus, payments are due in segments of the process which makes it easier to break up the cost. One payment is due when the contract is signed, another is due a month out from the event, and the final payment is due 4-6 months after the event. Booking Coastline was one of the hardest decisions we made because of the cost, but was the BEST decision we made, hands down, because of the memories they captured. We have received an abundant amount of compliments on our trailer, and I have to admit me and my husband, my parents, and my in-laws are mildly obsessed with it :) Your big day will fly by, so take my advise and book them on your event! Let them capture the moments you will so quickly forget otherwise. It's truly something we will forever treasure. THANK YOU JOHN AND THE COASTLINE TEAM!! WE LOVE YOU!

Reviewed on 7/25/2015 Ashley B

Jon and everyone at Coastline are amazing people that provide excellent products! We were very hesitant at first to book a videographer solely because of the cost. We didn't think the video justified the amount of money we would spend on the crew. HOWEVER, we recant our... Read More original thoughts ten fold.We could not be happier with the trailer we have already gotten and cannot wait to see the full length video in a couple months! It was nice that the payments were broken up into three installments. The first payment is due when booking (completely understandable), the second payment is due a week or two before the wedding (like most of the other vendors) and the final payment is due 6 months after the wedding when you get the final video. It was nice to have the option to break it up in these installments so it is not just one lump sum. The crew arrived at the church around 10:30am and started shooting right away. They stayed with us on the party bus and at the reception until about 8:30pm. They set up and took all the footage without us barely noticing them. We did the Cinema package which gave us the Jib...Our priest and guests actually made comments about flying saucers inside the church. But it was more of entertainment than a hassle. They were all a pleasure to be around! We would recommend them to everyone!

Fantastic Experience

Reviewed on 11/06/2014

### On Budget One of our priorities for our budget was on a top-quality videographer. We knew that would probably cost us but we didn't mind. Easy to say until it becomes crunch time and all those bills are due, and oh yeah -- you have a wedding to attend. Coastline... Read More removed that hassle right away by breaking the total up into 3 manageable chunks. ### On Day Of Working with them leading up to the day, and during the day of our wedding was a joy. I definitely leaned on their calm demeanor when my nerves got the best of me. Having somebody so composed around was fantastic. ### Quality After reviewing their portfolio I knew that Coastline would do a fantastic job, but we didnt anticipate the impact our own video would have on us -- or perfect strangers. After we received our preview video gobs of people we barely knew came up to us to tell us that they watched our preview video and started bawling! ### The Jib This was so cool to have, we had a "gaggle" of ringbearers run down the isle. It was like the running of bulls but with babies. Without the jib it probably would have been impossible to capture. ### Summary Many of my friends have gotten married in the past several years, and nobody has been as impressed with their videographers as we are with Coastline. I cannot recommend their work enough.

Coastline All The Way

Reviewed on 10/24/2014 Josilyn C

There isn’t one negative thing I can think about when it came to working with Coastline. From the first visit to the final product, these guys are the real deal! We couldn’t be any happier having chosen them to do our wedding video. Not only are they a joy to work with but their... Read More professionalism is astounding. Having a great videographer and photographer were at the top of both of our lists, therefore we both spent a lot of time researching and watching as many wedding videos as we could. From the first moment I witnessed a 2 minute Coastline trailer, I was sold! They were able to capture the important moments as well as the small details during our wedding day that we didn’t even know existed! They throw a cinematic twist to wedding videos that we didn’t even think could be possible and the fact that you’re able to have a “jib”…. it felt like we were on a Hollywood set! Throughout our wedding day, they’re organization and positive outlook made us feel not only comfortable and relaxed but it almost felt like they weren’t even there. Even the months leading up to our big day, they always stayed in contact. Many emails and phone conversations were had asking us questions, our opinions on specific details and a few questionnaires to be certain they gave us the best possible product! I would HIGHLY recommend these guys and you better act fast! These guys are becoming quite the hot commodity so book them before they are booked up! We lucked out! Thanks guys!

Best investment!!

Reviewed on 10/21/2014 Amanda R

Coastline Studios was absolutely amazing! My husband and I hadn't originally planned to have a videographer at our wedding until we saw some samples from Coastline, and we are so glad we did. Coastline's entire team was professional while at the same time making you feel like... Read More they were old friends. There was not a single moment the whole day that I felt uncomfortable. I barely even noticed them or their equipment filming. They go out of their way to really get to know the bride and groom so that their wedding film is a complete reflection of that couple. We love our teaser trailer and can't wait for the full length film!!

Hindsight is 20/20

Reviewed on 10/20/2014

We were happy that Coastline was available to shoot our wedding, but we would have no idea how much it would mean to us until the wedding was over. From groom prep through the ceremony and into the late night of the reception, Coastline's shooters were fantastic to our... Read More guests. They're not the "invisible" type to vendors. It's impossible to go unnoticed when they have cameras and stands and whatnot. The real pleasure of it is that while you will see them on your day, they are so professional and polite to everyone (guests and other vendors!) Also, our photographer ended up LOSING every photo that was taken after the words "I Do" were spoken. Every picture with our families and us at the alter. Every picture of guests at the reception. All of it. And we would have been devastated, except for the fact that we had Coastline there and they managed to come through for us. Thanks to them, the last third of the most important day of my life is still documented and I can still look back on it. Not only that, but what we got wasn't just the photographer's "leftovers" by any means. We have detail shots and they really captured the moments. You don't just get a documentary of the day; they capture the little things AND the big things. I'm so happy we decided to go with them as our vendor. Their dependability, professional demeanor, and overall quality of service made them my MVV (most valuable vendor!) Money absolutely well spent and well earned by them! Thanks Coastline!!!

Great work!

Reviewed on 10/13/2014 Jenna N

The guys from Coastline were awesome. We chose a photojournalistic package (though I TOTALLY would have done Cinematic if we had the extra cash) and even though I had originally decided against videography earlier on during the wedding planning process, they were able to... Read More accommodate my date even though it was getting very close when we finally decided to do videography for the wedding. The crew did a wonderful job of capturing different angles of the ceremony, and even stayed a bit later into the reception for us when things started to run a little long and the dances started later than I had planned. Both of the guys who were taping were very professional and inconspicuous and were a pleasure to work with! Coastline has great people working for them (including owner, John, and Katie, who edited our video) and I'm so glad I changed my mind and decided to go with a videography package with them after all!

A League of Their Own!!

Reviewed on 10/13/2014

To say that Coastline captured every single breathtaking moment from our big day, would be a vast understatement-- they captured MOMENTS within MOMENTS. They literally didn't miss a single thing, and we couldn't be more grateful to have them be a part of our wedding day. They... Read More are the most professional, most excelled, most friendly, most creative, and most talented at their craft-- Truly, in A League of Their Own. If you choose this team to be your wedding videographer, you will be doing yourselves a HUGE FAVOR. I won't say how many times we have watched our own wedding video because that may be a little embarrassing, but let's just say it will become your all time favorite movie, and one that will make you smile, cry, laugh, and beam from ear to ear for the rest of your lives. Simply put, they are THE best at what they do, and we simply couldn't be happier that we chose them. Truly, truly, A League of Their Own!!! -Blissfully happy couple, Meghan & Matt

Absolutely the best!

Reviewed on 10/08/2014 Aliceson W

Coastline studios did an absolutely awesome job. When I first got engaged I wasn't going to get a videographer but when I saw what an amazing job Coastline did I knew I needed them. They keep in touch with you periodically before the wedding to learn more about the couple so... Read More they can really tailor the video to you. On the day of the wedding I never even noticed they were there plus they got along great with the other vendors we used. They were really quick to get our trailer together after the wedding which literally brought my family to tears. It was beautifully done. The wedding video soon followed and I watch it all the time. It was phenomenal. I can't say enough good things about Coastline and would highly recommend them.

Coastline is Awesome!!

Reviewed on 10/05/2014 Elizabeth S

All the guys at Coastline made us feel extremely comfortable throughout the whole weekend. They were fun and personable an a joy to be around! I cannot wait to see what they have captured!! I would recommend them 100% to anyone in need of a videographer. If you splurge on... Read More anything for your wedding day it should be a videographer, coastline will capture not only your special day but the way you felt on that day. You can finally be a guest a your own wedding!!

Worth The Investment - Highly Recommend!

Reviewed on 9/29/2014 Nicole S

The Coastline Studios team is amazing and they made our wedding day so special. They have exceptional attention to detail and captured all of our special moments during our wedding day. They also did it in a way in which it almost seemed like they weren't there or a distraction.... Read More When we got our wedding trailer (3 minute video) two weeks after our wedding it literally brought me to tears and people who we don't even know told us how amazing it was. I am so thankful for the Coastline Studios team and would highly recommend them as your wedding videographer.

Incredibly talented and professional

Reviewed on 6/07/2014 Nancy E

We had some trouble getting a hold of someone a couple of times but the day of the crew was so warm and professional. They just started grabbing things to video, I didn't have to say a word. Worry-FREE!

Your Best Wedding Investment

Reviewed on 12/11/2013 Rachel J

I only have good things to say about Coastline Studios. Their work is truly an art! They capture so many moments throughout your day that you would have missed if it weren't for them. They are very professional about their work and have an excellent communication process! You... Read More will not regret going with Coastline Studios it is 100% worth your investment!

Our experience with Coastline Studios

Reviewed on 10/18/2013 Chelsey V

In all sincerity, we could not have been more elated to have had the staff at coastline be a part of our day. John was prompt to answer any and all questions we had leading up to the day which was so helpful during such a busy time in our lives. John, Jay & Brandon made the trip... Read More to the opposite side of the state to film our day. Thy all were unbelievably friendly, warm, and a pure delight to have with us that day. Coastline went above and beyond our expectations in making us feel entirely comfortable. Even though our timeline had a few hiccups, we never felt rushed or anxious by their staff. We both agree, we found some sort of comfort and security in having the coastline staff there that day, as if we had a brand new group of friends who wanted to make our day as special as it could be. The moments we spoke with coastline individually brought a sense of calm and groundedness to a day that we both know could have been entirely overwhelming. From the bottom of our hearts, we are genuinely blown away by this company and how they fit themselves so perfectly into the most important day of our lives. It was a honor to have such authentic, kind, and talented individuals capture a day we will never forget. Despite the timeline hiccups that occured during our day, coastline was adaptable, flexible and incredibly helpful. Even with a crew of three and a lot of equipment, they were never in the way and yet somehow, their presence made the day go that much smoother. Planning a wedding on a budget, we had to manuever our funds (having a homemade cake and using minimal, in-season fresh flowers, and bargaining at thrift stores for decor) in order to afford coastline, but they were one of the best decision we made. In addition, they break up the overall cost of their time and talents into payments that are spread out, one coming even after the wedding- incredibly helpful when most venders must be paid in full prior to the day of. We cannot say enough about this company and how amazing they are to work with. We received our trailer today (beautifully edited by Rebecca), and couldn't be happier. While we are patiently awaiting our film, we are amazed at what she was able to fit into a 4 minute preview! Thank you coastline for not only capturing the happiest day of our lives on film, but for also making the day itself so flawlessly smooth and comfortable! You all are amazing talented and we would recommend you to everyone!

Reviewed on 10/01/2013 Kathy B

All I can say is that I am excited to see the video when it is done. They had 2 people there and we did not even notice them! It takes 4-6 months to get the video out of production.

Reviewed on 9/05/2013

Personally, I consider myself to be a person who is not easily impressed because I honestly have really high expectations of myself, but Coastline Studios exceeded even my highest expectations and impressed me with their completely unmatchable level of talent and... Read More professionalism. If you are looking for the best videographers to capture your wedding or event, Coastline Studios is for you. I will never forget the moment I watched the video they made for the first time, because I felt like I was watching a hollywood movie, but it was about me. It captured the feeling and emotions of all of the biggest moments in the most incredible ways. I'm sure lots of videographers can film your day and get the important moments on camera, but will they be able to capture the true essence and feel of those moments? I honestly feel like I've become one of Coastline Studios biggest advocates, because the way they film events will blow anyone's mind. They match-up the shots with music in beautiful ways, and will do everything they can think of to get the best shots possible. I could go on and on about their talents and their artistic vision, but I also gotta leave some more personal comments about them. You will not find a group of more kind, more compassionate, and more committed professionals than the people at Coastline Studios. They made us laugh, asked us for our priorities and ideas, and always made whatever ideas we had even better. You will NEVER be disappointed with them. They are simply the BEST. Just look at the videos on their website and you'll see what I mean. They go out of their way to create the best product they can possibly come up with, and their best product is better than anyone else's. They capture the feeling of your event better than you could ever imagine, and every time you revisit it, you will not only be reminded of the scenery, you will relive all of the feelings and emotions. Even a complete stranger will be moved by watching your video, I promise! I've showed the video they made for us to people at my work, even people I don't know well, and it makes everyone tear up and smile and laugh. You can't go wrong with these guys. I give them my highest recommendation. Thank you for capturing our day like a hollywood movie. I will enjoy watching it all my life!!!!

Coastline is Simply the Best!

Reviewed on 9/04/2013 Alex C

I can’t stress enough the importance of having a wedding video. I’ll start by explaining that it starts with a team of people documenting every single little detail and then weaving it into a masterpiece of emotion that you get to keep forever. In a few months we will get to sit... Read More down and relive the fairytale again…and again and again for the rest of our lives. I will also stress the blessing of being able to share the wedding with the loved ones that could not be there. The Coastline team is unbelievably talented and truly dedicated to the pursuit of excellence. I’m on the video side of advertising and I knew I was going to be picky about our wedding video. I researched dozens of options and Coastline was hands-down the best in Michigan. These Guys are true artists behind the camera AND in the editing studio. Lots of videographers have great equipment and an eye for composition. Some videographers have fantastic style and technique. But then it boils down to a small select group of videographers like Coastline Studios who are a cut above the rest. At this level you find a team of artists that are able to sit down time and time again and tell a fresh wedding story with such elegance and emotion that it causes perfect strangers to tear up. My entire family has a crush on Coastline Studios for sure. I can’t tell you how many times we would be talking about the upcoming wedding and a family member would mention that they were on Coastline’s website…AGAIN watching trailers. By the time the wedding day came around, I’m quite sure that none of us had any wedding tears left. It comes at no surprise then, that our wedding video was at the top of our list of things to be excited about. Everybody told me that the day was going to come and go in the blink of an eye and I was bound and determined to not let that happen. But it did. And though I took moments to step back and soak it all in, it was impossible to be in a million places at once. The great news is coastline captured it all. They captured the “I do’s” and the first kiss of course. But they also captured the breeze off the lake, twirls on the dance floor, the looks, the hugs, and the tears. How can you possibly fit so much love and excitement, not to mention 200 loved ones, into one single day? The answer is deep breathing, a good pair of flats, and most definitely Coastline Studios. Thank you so much John, Nate, Jay, and Rebecca! We were blessed to have you capture our big day! Thank you for your dedication, hard work, and creativity. You are the best!

Best Wedding Film Crew

Reviewed on 8/14/2013 Jay K

My name is Jay Kadlec, newly married and loving it! Abigail and I were married July 20th and Coastline studios was there to film our wedding. Now, I may be a little biased, because I actually have done work for Coastline…but they were fantastic, covered every event, and made... Read More sure to only check in with me when needed. Abigail and I are crazy excited to get our hands on the footage! I know it will all be excellent :) It was a little weird for me to be on the other side of the camera, because I’m so used to ‘staying out of the shot’, but I quickly got over it. I’m super curious to see Abigail’s bride prep and her reaction to the cameras. Once I was used to the lenses being aimed at me, I felt like a rockstar! And when everything started happening (the Ceremony and Reception), I honestly forgot they were even there! Filmaking ninjas would be an apt term for the Coastline Crew. The three moments I’m most excited to see are our first kiss (of course), our entrance to the Reception (rode in on a souped up golf cart), and our dance up on the ridge (with all of the countryside in the background)… It was the best day of our life and both Abigail and I are super glad to have had Coastline there to film it! Now our friends and family (including the ones who couldn't make it) can see it, and one day, even our children will be able to see their mom and dad getting hitched! - Thank you for everything Coastline!”

Happy Bride!

Reviewed on 7/24/2013 Rebecca D

Coastline was absolutely great! They captured so many little, special moments in our day, and will help us remember our day perfectly forever. They were on time, and made me feel very comfortable in front of the camera. Technically, they blew me away, and I could not be happier... Read More with my trailer, and can't wait to see my full film!

Truly a blessing

Reviewed on 5/31/2013 Brittani S

John Pottenger and his team at Coastline Studios were phenomenal!!! I was skeptical at first to have our wedding video recorded but, they made me feel very at ease. Now, we have this amazing, one of a kind wedding video to look upon whenever we want to relive our special day.... Read More The quality of the video was truly mesmerizing! They not only managed to capture our relationship perfectly but also managed to include every single person who attended our wedding in the video. This was definitely a feat as we had 315 guests. Asking Coastline Studios to be a part of our wedding day was a blessing. Having John and his team film one of the greatest days of our lives was truly a gift!! I cannot express enough how thankful we are. Do not pass up the opportunity to have Coastline studios capture your wedding day =)

Best videographers in the wedding business.

Reviewed on 5/12/2013

It's plain to see that there's no finer videography outfit in Michigan than Coastline Studios. Their attention to detail and compassionate treatment make for an exquisite production. Other videography services can only aspire to the quality and value that they offer. Staffed... Read More entirely by unobtrusive professionals, Coastline will make your special day shine forever.

Couldn't have asked for more.

Reviewed on 5/09/2013 stevie k

My husband and I are both in the multimedia business so we have high expectations. Coastline lived up to all of our expectations and then some. They did a terrific job. John and his crew were kind and professional. It took about 6 months to get our video. When we... Read More received it we were so excited and happy that we spent the money for a videographer. They made the process easy from beginning to end. If you are thinking about hiring them, just do it. You won't be disappointed. Also, spend the extra dough on the jib, it is SO worth it. The shots they took were artistic and the editing was fun and professional. Watch this video series on how the process works, it's what sold us.