Cake Accessories, Cake Tastings, Cakes + Desserts

Bow2007

1565 Saybrook Rd, Haddam, CT

Stop right here

Reviewed on 2/24/2014 Carol M

Donna has talent coming out of her ears, and I mean real talent, the rare kind that comes from inside a person and comes out in the creations so pretty you seriously don’t want to cut the cake. But more importantly, Donna has such a sensitivity and loving soul, that I am... Read More honored to have had the opportunity to meet her. She brought so much joy to the planning of my wedding that would not have been there for me otherwise, and surprised me with specially made custom designs on the cookies I gave away as favors. (Which were a huge hit!) She took me from tears of sadness to tears of joy, and I cannot find words to express fully the difference having chosen and trusted her as such an integral part of the team of vendors who made my day such a successful and joyous occasion. The day was bittersweet at times, due to the circumstances beyond anyone’s control, but the sweet was the winner by a long shot! Donna as a person, and her confections were a huge factor in helping me focus on the happiness and love that surround me every day. I can’t thank her enough. p.s. I could eat any one of her cakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner 7 days a week for a month…or two.

Cake was to die for!

Reviewed on 1/30/2014 Amy C

The cake was STUNNING! We added on some fondant & worked with Donna on a custom look - it looked like it came out of a magazine! And the best part - IT WAS DELICIOUS! Super moist & tasty, we had so many compliments!

Beautiful and Delicious Cakes

Reviewed on 1/20/2014 Susan S

Donna is an amazing baker. Our guests have been raving about our wedding cake (chocolate cake with mocha cappuccino filing and white buttercream icing) ever since our wedding. One friend claimed that the only other wedding cake she has enjoyed before was her own. I have been... Read More craving it so much that I'm looking forward to our first anniversary! It was also gorgeous--we chose a Christmas-y design with red and white flowers and evergreen sprays. Donna is a really impressive, dynamic professional. My fiance was overseas, so my family came along with me to the tasting. We got into a long conversation with Donna. She really is so charismatic. (She had been recruited to star in a pre-Cake Boss cake reality show, but prefers to focus on her business). It was totally worth the trip from Simsbury to Haddam. And every cake type we tried was delicious!

Reviewed on 9/19/2016 Kayla M

We got married at the Riverhouse so we had a choice between Creative Cakes by Donna and another bakery. We decided to go with Donna and were very happy with our decision. We went with red velvet cake with a peanut butter mousse filling. Some family members who we told before... Read More were skeptically about this combination; however, everyone seemed to really enjoy it at the wedding.

Reviewed on 9/09/2016 Caroline K

Donna created our beautiful classic cake! Cake was delicious and everyone loved it! They were all surprised we did a funfetti cake! Awesome choice!

Reviewed on 8/27/2016 Jessica B

We highly recommend creative cakes by Donna! We first met at a tasting and were extremely impressed with the variety of options and incredibly delicious cake! Donna was friendly and fun to work with, and created the perfect cake for our wedding. She also was able to incorporate... Read More flowers on the cake for a small additional cost which added a special touch!

Reviewed on 8/09/2016 Amanda W

Donna made the most fabulous cake, exactly as I had imagined it to be like! Not only was it beautiful but everyone made a point to tell me how delicious the chocolate chamborde with raspberry filling was! Donna also made me a gluten free cupcake hidden behind the cake which was... Read More awesome!! Highly recommend her services

Reviewed on 8/07/2016 Paulina B

The best cake around! Donna executed our vision with precision and it was the best wedding cake!

Reviewed on 8/07/2016 Katie G

I never got the chance to meet Donna as I live so far away but I am SO SO SO glad we worked with Donna. She was so sweet and so easy to work with. We had a texture buttercream cake with hydrangeas cascading down the front of the cake. It was gorgeous.. I had no idea I could... Read More be so obsessed with how beautiful my cake was. Not to mention how delicious it was!! You can't go wrong with Donna.

Reviewed on 8/03/2016

RUN!!! Donna has absolutely NO customer service skills, she is inappropriate and does not listen. We had many issues with our experience, and we ended up not even getting the cake we wanted!! Very very disappointed. Donna did NOTHING to make it right. Not only was the design... Read More and flavors wrong; the cake didn't even taste good...freezer burned taste. These are not the kind of surprises you want on your wedding day. What a nightmare!

Reviewed on 7/25/2016 Emilie W

Donna is an incredibly talented individual! The cake she designed for us was amazing (and very tasty as well!). In addition, Donna was very helpful and accommodating throughout the process. We had several attendees with gluten allergies, and Donna accommodated them by... Read More providing gluten free cupcakes as an alternative.

Reviewed on 7/12/2016

At the beginning of our wedding process, my husband and I talked to many people about who they recommended in the CT area for our wedding cake. The results were unanimous - Creative Cakes by Donna! My husband and I have literally had zero vision for what we wanted in a cake... Read More outside of the words "NO FONDANT" but Donna helped us create a masterpiece. Her shop was warm and welcoming and her no nonsense attitude was the best. Weddings are not a time to be ambivalent :-) We had a delicious strawberry shortcake and I only regret not being able to eat more of it at the wedding. Weddings are also not a time for eating the food you picked out. I would absolutely recommend Donna to anyone who needs a special dessert made for an event. She is a master of her craft!!

Reviewed on 7/10/2016 Ellen P

It's important to note that our cake was included as part of our wedding package so one may have a better experience if they purchase the cake directly from Donna. We did receive the cake that we ordered but there were a number of issues. First of all we had requested a... Read More strawberry shortcake with extra strawberries, instead we had a vanilla cake with strawberry cream. We had paid Donna a bit extra for flowers on the cake which were supposed to be a scattered design but instead were the wrong color (white and light pink) and the wrong design. Lastly, there were finger swipes all over our cake, like someone had wanted to taste the buttercream. The cake was tasty and only my parents, my husband and myself noticed the issues but we were disappointed to get something different from what we ordered.

Yummy cake, bad experience

Reviewed on 11/24/2015 Alison Z

First, our cake was delicious. But, the experience was not great. We met with Donna to try flavors and she kept making comments that made my husband and I very uncomfortable. We couldn't get out of there fast enough! She called me the week before the wedding to confirm what we... Read More decided on and on the day of, we didn't end up with the decoration on the cake that we wanted and confirmed with her. But, the cake was very tasty.

Delicious and Beautiful

Reviewed on 10/22/2015 Elizabeth L

I'm the type of person that when I have something in mind there's not much that can happen that will satisfy me unless it's exactly what I had in mind... at least for instances like my wedding ;) My husband and I wanted a fall-ish cake for our fall wedding. We figured either a... Read More carrot or spice cake would be perfect so that's what we went in search for. Our venue includes a choice from 3 different cake vendors and Creative Cakes by Donna was one of those choices. We were not disappointed. The designs are wonderful and passionate because that's all that Donna does is cakes! We were nervous about flavor but the spice cake (which we were lucky enough to try right out of the oven- heaven) was delicious and we paired it with a chocolate mousse filling for my husband. Buttercream frosting in a design I had wanted made it perfect. Donna was very helpful in settling details but it's definitely a good idea to go through pictures (check out her facebook page as well as the website) so you have some idea before you walk in there- there's way too much to choose from. I would highly recommend!

Reviewed on 10/17/2015 Chrissy B

We found Donna through the Society Room, our wedding venue. We were very happy with Donna and the cake! I am gluten intolerant and she made a tier of the cake gluten free so that I could eat cake at my wedding. It was absolutely delicious. Everyone loved the cake and it was... Read More beautifully decorated. Working with Donna was the easiest part of our planning!

Delicious and Beautiful!

Reviewed on 10/08/2015 Ashley R

From our first meeting with Donna, we knew that she cared about quality and that we had the best cake for our wedding day! We were referred to Donna by our DJ and she also used to be the baker at our venue. She was easy to get in touch with and helped us create the perfect cake!... Read More Our cake was almond flavored with a toasted coconut filling and a buttercream frosting. She makes her buttercream cakes look just like fondant without having to pay the price! The cake was super moist, the frosting was perfect, not too sweet. Hands down would recommend Donna!

Reviewed on 10/05/2015 Abigail T

Our wedding cake was made by Creative Cakes by Donna, who partners with our venue. We initially met with Donna to try cake samples and discuss the design of the cake. She was very easy to work with and had called 10 days prior to the wedding date to confirm our plans. The cake... Read More was delicious!! We chose lemon cake with lemon and raspberry filling--every part of the cake was super light without being too sweet. The cake was also beautifully decorated with the fall decor that we supplied them with that matched our centerpieces. They also supplied a box so that we could save the top layer to eat on our one year anniversary. Looking forward to it!

Model cake

Reviewed on 9/10/2015 kelly a

The moment I saw my cake I knew our wedding day was going to be perfect. Creative Cakes by Donna, along with two other bakeries, had a table set up at our vendor for a tasting. Her model cakes were classic, classy and clearly were created with precision to detail. My choice... Read More was made even easier after tasting them. We actually chose one of the model cakes which was simple, elegant and had two starfish on it to complete our beach/marina wedding. We chose a strawberry shortcake with fresh strawberries and butter cream frosting. It was not only gorgeous, but delicious too. In fact, we actually had several guests admit that though tey aren't cake and/or dessert fans, they ate and enjoyed this one!

AMAZING CAKE

Reviewed on 9/03/2015 Elizabeth M

Everything about my experience with Creative Cakes by Donna was perfect. From the minute my husband and I walked in to do a tasting, we knew we wanted to work with Donna. She was so kind and welcoming and the cakes we tried were incredible! We had gone to other tastings the same... Read More day, and Donna's cake tasted much more moist and more fresh. She was very accommodating, and worked with us to figure out what the best option and decoration for us would be. The cake was beautiful, delicious, and about half the price of some other cake vendors.

Reviewed on 8/03/2015 Kerrianne D

My mother and I met with Donna and we immediately connected. Donna took the vision we had and ran with it. She made the most beautiful and delicious cake, it really could not have been more perfect. And because I am tall, Donna said she would add an extra layer to the cake... Read More for free. Haha, she is a really adorable lady and great to work with.

Amazing Cakes

Reviewed on 7/01/2015 Kayla a

We struggled for a long time to find a bakery that could prepare the cake we wanted. Having taken professional cake-decorating classes, we were in the market for someone who could do high quality buttercream piping - and as a dessert lovers we wanted it to taste good too. It... Read More doesn't sound like incredibly high standards, but was surprisingly difficult to find - until we discovered Donna. Her work is beautiful and we could not have had a more perfect wedding cake! Her cakes and fillings are absolutely divine. You can't go wrong with any of the flavors. We chose strawberry short cake and all of our guests raved about it and many begged for seconds!

The BEST wedding cake I have ever had!

Reviewed on 3/31/2015 Katie A

The strawberry shortcake cake is heavenly! During the tasting you will see that all of her cakes and frostings are delicious but you can't beat her strawberry shortcake! Her cakes are moist and her frostings are sweet but not too sweet - seriously the best wedding cake I have... Read More ever had. I hope to enjoy her cakes again in the future. She also was very accommodating for the design of the cake, and she is great to work with! You can't beat Donna!

Loved working with Donna

Reviewed on 11/07/2014 Christine W

Donna was easily one of the best vendors I worked with. I called her many months before our wedding just to set up our tasting, I ended up talking to her on the phone for almost 15 minutes. My sister/MOH went with me to the tasting because my fiancé couldn't make it. We ended up... Read More sitting with her after all decisions were made and just chatted. She's just that type of person. She was so flexible and even added extra flowers on our cake when I didn't get enough from our florist to do the design I wanted. She just reassured me everything would be okay and it did. The cake was gorgeous, prettier than I imagined it to be. We ended up choosing a spice cake with pumpkin mousse for our late fall wedding and it was DELICIOUS. She even threw in a couple gluten free cupcakes for my stepmother and two other guests with a gluten allergy to accommodate them. My experience with her was fabulous and I definitely recommend her to other brides/anyone else looking for cake.

Wedding Cake Love

Reviewed on 10/21/2014 Diane D

I first found Donna as a preferred vendor from our venue, which generally says a lot. We had the opportunity to sample her cakes and several other vendors at an event sponsored by our venue, and it became obvious from that point on that her cakes are a notch above. I began to... Read More follow her cakes on Instagram and Facebook just to get ideas of what designs I might like. I was always so impressed with what I saw and it almost made it harder to choose! In the end I went with a traditional butter cream for taste. The design was an elegant purple swirl with ribbons and bling wrapped around the base of each layer. It looked incredibly elegant and fit perfectly with my theme so did not disappoint. We went with the strawberry shortcake flavor, which I am still hearing about a month later from guests. I can't wait to break into our topper on our one year anniversary! I'd recommend her to any bride. Thanks Donna for a great cake.