Creative Cakes by Donna

Bow2007

1565 Saybrook Rd, Haddam, CT (860) 345-8847

Stop right here

Reviewed on 2/24/2014 Carol M

Donna has talent coming out of her ears, and I mean real talent, the rare kind that comes from inside a person and comes out in the creations so pretty you seriously don’t want to cut the cake. But more importantly, Donna has such a sensitivity and loving soul, that I am... Read More honored to have had the opportunity to meet her. She brought so much joy to the planning of my wedding that would not have been there for me otherwise, and surprised me with specially made custom designs on the cookies I gave away as favors. (Which were a huge hit!) She took me from tears of sadness to tears of joy, and I cannot find words to express fully the difference having chosen and trusted her as such an integral part of the team of vendors who made my day such a successful and joyous occasion. The day was bittersweet at times, due to the circumstances beyond anyone’s control, but the sweet was the winner by a long shot! Donna as a person, and her confections were a huge factor in helping me focus on the happiness and love that surround me every day. I can’t thank her enough. p.s. I could eat any one of her cakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner 7 days a week for a month…or two.

Cake was to die for!

Reviewed on 1/30/2014 Amy C

The cake was STUNNING! We added on some fondant & worked with Donna on a custom look - it looked like it came out of a magazine! And the best part - IT WAS DELICIOUS! Super moist & tasty, we had so many compliments!

Beautiful and Delicious Cakes

Reviewed on 1/20/2014 Susan S

Donna is an amazing baker. Our guests have been raving about our wedding cake (chocolate cake with mocha cappuccino filing and white buttercream icing) ever since our wedding. One friend claimed that the only other wedding cake she has enjoyed before was her own. I have been... Read More craving it so much that I'm looking forward to our first anniversary! It was also gorgeous--we chose a Christmas-y design with red and white flowers and evergreen sprays. Donna is a really impressive, dynamic professional. My fiance was overseas, so my family came along with me to the tasting. We got into a long conversation with Donna. She really is so charismatic. (She had been recruited to star in a pre-Cake Boss cake reality show, but prefers to focus on her business). It was totally worth the trip from Simsbury to Haddam. And every cake type we tried was delicious!

Reviewed on 11/15/2017 Jessica E

I cannot begin to tell you how AMAZING our wedding cake came out! Working with Donna may have been the best experience of our wedding! Everything was easy with her, from the tasting to the day of. There was not one sample we tried we didn't like. Donna and I emailed pictures... Read More back and forth and she nailed it right on the head! The day of the wedding, we were thrilled to see how stunning the cake look but even more so on how delicious the cake was. We decided to have a "naked" cake and it was beautiful. Our guests raved about how delicious it was and we wish we could have had more! Thank you Donna for your hard and dedicated work! You won't go wrong if you choose Donna!!!

Reviewed on 11/02/2017 Allison H

Our cake was BEAUTIFUL! And so very delicious! I got a marble cake with cannoli filling and chocolate mousse and everyone loved it! Donna was very professional and has a fantastic eye for design! Thank you so much for making our wedding day so special!

Reviewed on 10/28/2017 Lauren M

Donna knows how to make a great cake!! The "strawberry shortcake" style cake was beyond delicious, and I never like fruit in my cake! We were an uncertain couple on our design and opted for a stucco pattern, which she delivered beautifully. Great experience and didn't have to... Read More worry about anything.

Reviewed on 10/27/2017 Morgan C

So glad we chose Donna! She was great to work with. She had amazing ideas and she brought our vision to life. Wverything was spot on. I had no worries about our cake because we knew it was in good hands. Our theme was great gatsby and the cake reflected it. With gold, feathers... Read More and glitz, it was just perfect. Look no further!!! We love donna!!!!

Reviewed on 10/13/2017 Katie D

We absolutely loved our wedding cake. It was beautiful (exactly what we wanted!) as well as delicious. Donna was a pleasure to work with and made the process quite easy (and delicious!). I would definitely recommend her!

Reviewed on 10/13/2017 Susan R

Our wedding cake was beautiful and it tasted delicious. It was delivered to my venue on time and photographed nicelynext to our sweetheart table. For many people, that's all that matters, so I would definitely recommend Donna. However, I see that some other brides shared my... Read More disappointing experience with Donna's customer service during our tasting. We may have caught her on a busy day, but I found her to be disrespectful. I tried to share my vision with her for a fall wedding cake and the color scheme - rich reds and oranges. I got about two sentences out before I vividly remember her cutting me off and saying: "Sounds like you're being really specific." Obviously, this is the last thing that a bride-to-be wants to hear! She then walked away and left my fiance and I to taste the cakes alone. I felt completely uncomfortable and rushed for the rest of the appointment. It doesn't really matter now because the end product was beautiful, but that line definitely stuck with me throughout the wedding planning!

Reviewed on 10/09/2017 Meghan L

I had a wonderful experience working with Cakes by Donna. She spent the time to go over every detail that I wished to include for my wedding cake. Donna helped to specifically design my cake to fit what I wanted. I was truly amazed when I saw my wedding cake for the first time;... Read More it was more beautiful than I imagined it would be! The flowers and rhinestones were a perfect touch. I highly recommend this wedding venue! Meghan and Cody Gill

Reviewed on 10/08/2017 Laura K

We were referred to Donna by our Venue, Cascades in Hamden. We went to a tasting at our venue and were able to sample some of Donna's creations. We knew in that instant that Donna is who we wanted to make our wedding cake. Our consolation was sooooo hard because everything... Read More she makes is delicious so picking one flavor was one of the hardest decisions we had to make regarding our wedding ;). She has many suggestions and ideas to make your cake unique and beautiful. She sure didn't disappoint on the day of. Not only was our cake so pretty that I didn't want to cut it but it tasted great too! Our guests were looking or more cake! Donna's cakes are so pretty they don't look real, you will not be disappointed. We went with the strawberry shortcake, but the almond with strawberry filling was going to be our second choice!

Reviewed on 8/05/2017 Stefanie D

Amazing in every way! Donna created the most beautiful cake for our wedding! Her attention to detail is impeccable and she can create any cake to fit your wedding! She spent hours with us at our cake tasting to make sure our cake was perfect and that it was! The cake was... Read More absolutely delicious and absolutely beautiful! If you are looking for the best cake around call Donna!

Reviewed on 7/29/2017 Laura A

Our wedding cake was both beautiful and delicious - Donna made my vision come to life in our wedding cake and we could not have been happier!

Reviewed on 7/05/2017 Katherine V

We came across Cakes by Donna because it was one of the options for cake provided in our wedding package from our venue. After reading some reviews, we just had to find out for ourselves what made these cakes so special. When we met with Donna, we got to try a wide variety of... Read More different cakes and flavors. There were so many great options it was a bit difficult to finalize our choice (ultimately we chose the strawberry shortcake..highly recommend it!). During the appointment, we got to know Donna better and felt like she really took an interest in getting to know us. It was definitely a very personalized experience, one that you won't get everywhere you go. After tasting the cakes, there was no question in our minds that we had to have Donna make our wedding cake. I loved the sample so much I couldn't wait for the real cake! When I saw the cake on our wedding day, I was absolutely blown away. It was BEAUTIFUL!!! It looked even better than I could have ever imagined and hoped for. Not only was it the best looking cake I had ever seen, but the taste was just perfect! Our only regret was that we were so consumed with everything going on throughout the night that we barely had an opportunity to eat more than a couple bites of the cake. There is no doubt in my mind that we will be contacting Donna for all future cake orders and will recommend her to all of our friends when they are planning their weddings!

Reviewed on 6/09/2017 Michael R

I am certain that Donna gives different cakes at the tasting that what you will receive on your special day. Very disappointing. Icing was really poor quality and I was deeply embarrassed to have served this low-quality cake to all my guests. Also, Donna's customer service... Read More was deplorable and we found her to be very haughty and rude. Stay away!

Reviewed on 6/04/2017 Jenna D

My wedding cake was absolutely phenomenal. Donna did such a great job!

Reviewed on 4/01/2017 Gina Z

Our cake was delicious and beautiful! Donna has an extensive portfolio which helped us decide exactly what we wanted on our cake. The end result was gorgeous! She does a great job with the buttercream decorations and it tasted great too. All of our guests loved it, and I can't... Read More wait to eat our top tier on our anniversary!

Reviewed on 1/08/2017 Kristin C

We worked with Donna to create our wedding cake for our wedding in July 2016. From the start, Donna was easy to reach, professional, and helpful. The day of our tasting, we were able to try several flavors and frostings, and I was very impressed with not only the taste and... Read More quality of her desserts, but also the variety and uniqueness of her flavors and combinations. We opted for a marble cake with cappuccino mouse... I didn't even think I liked marble cake until I had Donna's. We also love cannoli filling, and when we mentioned this, Donna offered to do both flavors for us. In terms of design, Donna had tons of pictures and samples of her previous cakes for us to use for inspiration. We showed her some pictures of ideas we liked, and together, she helped us create a wedding cake that not only looked beautiful, but tasted amazing! She also made us extra! We tried to tell our venue that we had extra so they would cut larger slices than what is traditionally offered to guests. Our venue had plenty of cake to go around (but they did still insist on cutting the slices the typical way -- to no fault of Donna's). We ended up with an entire layer extra! My only regret was that our honeymoon was 2 days after our wedding, and we couldn't take our extra cake with us to Hawaii! It was literally the best cake I've ever had in my life. I highly recommend Creative Cakes by Donna!

Reviewed on 11/05/2016 Erin M

My cake was absolutely beautiful and tasted amazing! Donna understood my vision and truly delivered on my wedding cake.

Reviewed on 10/28/2016 Keyo Ann G

Look no further!!! Donna is amazing she works with you and will take any crazy idea and make it into your vision. Our tasting was so much fun!! We choose the mocha cappuccino flavor with buttercream. Our guests not only loved the cake design. But they were obssessing over the... Read More taste. Its unique in a way you can not go to a bakery and find this. I had messed the design up and Donna contacted me and I sent her a few pictures. She nailed it. We only had a few bites Im actually ordering a small one to surprise my husband. Just an amazing experience!! She is awesome and I would not go anywere else. I loved working with her shes just amazing!!!

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Isabel K

My cake was gorgeous and delicious! Donna took everything we talked about and brought it to reality. By far the best wedding cake I have ever tasted! The guests have been raving about the cake ever since the big day!

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Shannon R

Donna made us a very beautiful cake and it was exactly what we wanted. Very delicious too!

Reviewed on 9/19/2016 Kayla M

We got married at the Riverhouse so we had a choice between Creative Cakes by Donna and another bakery. We decided to go with Donna and were very happy with our decision. We went with red velvet cake with a peanut butter mousse filling. Some family members who we told before... Read More were skeptically about this combination; however, everyone seemed to really enjoy it at the wedding.

Reviewed on 9/09/2016 Caroline K

Donna created our beautiful classic cake! Cake was delicious and everyone loved it! They were all surprised we did a funfetti cake! Awesome choice!

Reviewed on 8/27/2016 Jessica B

We highly recommend creative cakes by Donna! We first met at a tasting and were extremely impressed with the variety of options and incredibly delicious cake! Donna was friendly and fun to work with, and created the perfect cake for our wedding. She also was able to incorporate... Read More flowers on the cake for a small additional cost which added a special touch!