A New Era of Wedding Entertainment

Hi! My name is Stephen and I would love to DJ your wedding! Im a commercial DJ and classical pianist and incorporate live piano instrumentation as I DJ. My approach to entertainment is very unique and I would love to share it with you and your guests! I have been apart of some amazing weddings and events over the past 7 years and would love to use my expertise and style to make your's truly one-of-a-kind. I work one on one with all of my couples to make sure we have it just right. Its my job to make the "20 somethings" dance on the same dance floor as the "50 and 60 somethings" and I use a very creative musical approach to do so. I would love to be your DJ! Instead of telling you, I'd like to SHOW you. Please take a look at my videos here and on my website under "The Music." Thanks!

After Party, Ceremony, Reception, Wedding

MC Services, Recorded Music, Sound Equipment, Music

07ca00f0 7e34 4e38 ba58 5f372a4094da~rs 100
Cf805d40 a376 487a b64d 0a02ca20f736~rs 100
8e37b91d 2fde 4bb6 b113 3e53ec30901d~rs 100
824ddd67 fb0e 4a26 92a4 d4996b0d2b23~rs 100
771ca283 cad1 47cb 9d5f 94e8c360e3be~rs 100

Reviewed on 9/11/2016 Kim W

I have been a banquet captain for a caterer here in Charleston, SC for almost 4 years. I have seen literally EVERY wedding band and DJ in Charleston in action. Some good, some mediocre at best, and then.....there is Stephen. He is the guy that every vender gets excited about... Read More when they know he is the DJ. Simply put, Stephen is truly amazing. Entertainment was very important to us and the FIRST thing I did was make sure I had Stephen at my wedding. He is definitely the most booked DJ in town and it was my first phone call. Luckily I know the industry here and I got him locked in because I was ahead of the game. Just like every other time I have seen him, he absolutely CRUSHED it at our wedding. My friends and family were blown away and still are texting and emailing me about "the wedding of the year." The energy he creates is contagious and the way he puts together all of the music and plays a piano is the most unique thing you will ever see. I also really enjoyed working with him one and one. He met with us 2 different times and made sure we got everything we wanted and we more than did. Stephen also is just a great person. My fiance loves him and really got excited and involved once we sat down and talked with Stephen. Our wedding stood out because our entertainment was as good as it gets. If you are reading this, I strongly recommend you reach out to Stephen immediately and get him booked ASAP. It by far will be the very best decision you make for your wedding. I speak from experience and first hand knowledge of the Charleston wedding industry - I have seen it all, and he's the best of the best. THANK YOU STEPHEN WE LOOOOOVE YOU!!!!!

2016-09-12T13:28:43 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much!! I just saw this and wanted just say how much I appreciate the kind words. I had an amazing time with your friends and family. Now you can call him your "husband" not your "fiancé" HAHA! THANKS AGAIN GANG!!!

Reviewed on 4/24/2018 Mandi T

I can’t even begin to say enough amazing things about Stephen… He’s professional and has an amazing ability to feel a crowd out and make it an epic experience. From the beginning, I appreciated him communicating with us about the types of music we wanted played and the vibe we... Read More wanted to create. We had so many different people from all walks of life at our wedding, and I can tell you that everyone loved him! The dance floor never emptied! His musical gifts on the piano left many guests asking “who is guy” and “where did you all find him”. Stephen truly brought our reception to life, and was such a pleasure to work with! My best advice is to talk with him on what types of music you like, but let him do his thing… because it’s amazing!

Reviewed on 4/16/2018 Ashley G

If I could leave more stars, I would. Stephen was incredible. I had people coming up to me all night telling me how great he was. He did such a good job of ensuring there was no awkward pauses or lapses in music, the transition from cocktail hour to dinner to reception was... Read More flawless. Not to mention, the piano was a really cool addition. We really could't be any happier with the decision to go with Darby Events. Thank you for an amazing evening!!!

Reviewed on 3/30/2018 Amy B

Stephan recently played at our wedding and he was amazing! He is extremely talented and knew exactly what songs to play to keep the party going. I would highly recommend Darby Events to anyone who wants more than just your average DJ.

Reviewed on 3/26/2018 Madison R

Stephan was awesome at our wedding this past weekend! He really kept people having a good time on the dance floor!

Reviewed on 3/06/2018 Jenny L

Stephen Darby was AMAZING!!! He played at our wedding and had our guests entertained from start to finish! Our guests could not stop talking about how unique and cool his style was incorporating the live piano into his mix! From ed sheeran, to Backstreet Boys, to Avici and... Read More Calvin Harris, to Thomas Rhett, Stephen kept everyone engaged and on their feet dancing the ENTIRE night! I'd pick Stephen to DJ any and every event I'd ever have in the future! Stephen is hands down the best!!!

Reviewed on 2/28/2018

It’s easy to see how Darby Events has a 5.0 rating and I would most definitely recommend booking them as your wedding DJ for your wedding day. I booked Stephen over a year out from our wedding and he was so helpful with everything along the way! He has such amazing music... Read More ceremony through reception and planning was so easy. We found so many wedding planners that have him on their "preferred vendor list" who love and recommend him also. I now can say that all of the wonderful reviews and ratings he has make perfect sense. Stephen absolutely rocked it out!! He was so wonderful to work with from the beginning to the very end and was fast to respond to emails and really cared deeply about our wedding and the planning process. I settled for Darby Events as our wedding DJ instead of a band all because of Stephen’s awesome and different style and I knew that he would be something unique that our guests wouldn't have experienced before. I could go on and on but I will say to DEFINTELTY book Stephen for your wedding because you won’t be let down. This day I've dreamed about since I was a little girl and we had the wedding of our LIFE! Watching the way he rocked out was more than a fun experience and people are still talking about “the amazing wedding DJ” from that awesome Charleston wedding. Not only was his company able to provide music for our reception, but also the ceremony music and up lighting. Book Stephen from Darby Events! It will be the best decision you make for your wedding!

Reviewed on 2/13/2018 Leslie G

We highly recommend Stephen! He made sure to find out what songs we did and didn’t want to hear at the wedding and the playlist turned out great! We had several friends ask if they could have it to listen to. We were really impressed with his piano skills, it was the perfect... Read More finishing touch!

Reviewed on 1/30/2018 Erin P

Stephen was so great! I got so many compliments on how much fun my wedding was. He kept everyone on the dance floor the entire night!! I had a winter wedding outside in January. Everyone was worried about being cold but someone told me they had to turn off the heaters we had... Read More rented because it got so hot under the tent with everyone dancing. Great music was one of the most important things to us with planning the wedding and Darby Events nailed it!!! I also got a lot of compliments on the vintage mirror that he brought for my photo booth. All of my guests had a blast with it! I only wish I had copies of all the pictures that were taken. Either way it was an amazing night and I have loved hearing from my guests that they have never danced so much at a wedding like they did mine. I will absolutely be recommending him to any of my friends getting married or planning a party in the future.

Reviewed on 11/20/2017 Elizabeth S

Amazing! Stephen was the DJ at our wedding and had everyone on the floor all night. At no point was the dance floor empty and everyone regardless of age was having a blast. The way he mixes old and new keeps everyone moving all night. We were definitely lucky to have him for... Read More our special day and cannot thank him enough!

Reviewed on 11/16/2017 Melissa S

I would definitely recommend DJ Darby!! We had a bit of a tough crowd - being from the Bahamas our guests listen to music that wouldn't be typical at an American reception. But, Stephen took on the challenge and was able to cater to our crowd! Everyone had a great time dancing... Read More and had such an amazing time. Thank you for being so flexible and working with my crazy crowd!! You did a fabulous job!!

Reviewed on 11/14/2017 Lisa C

HANDS DOWN THE BEST DJ IN THE BUSINESS! I can’t speak enough about Stephen Darby - I actually saw him in a video on Instagram mashing up some songs with him playing the piano and I thought it was awesome. So I reached out to get more information and I’m so glad I did. Stephen... Read More was down to earth and a real fun guy to talk to, that just wanted to give you the best options possible for your wedding. When you have Italians and Jersey people coming to your wedding, you need to provide some great music and DJ Darby didn’t fail to deliver. We had every single person on the dance floor the entire time. He would mash up old school with new school AND play the piano - he is extraordinary. He is an artist and a master at understanding the crowd. Let him be creative and he will WOW you - best part about it was that he can provide you string musicians as well as Photo Booth options (which I would HIGHLY suggest the mirror Photo Booth - was super cool!). It was awesome to have all these options in one! Every single one of my guests told me the entire night how awesome the DJ was and continued to tell me days after the wedding. I never write reviews but he impressed me SO much I had to - if you can, BOOK WITH DJ DARBY!

Reviewed on 11/14/2017 Antonella C

Stephen Darby was by far one of the best parts of my sisters wedding this past weekend!!! We literally said do whatever you want and he did not disappoint! The dance floor was packed the whole night and his unique transitions, playing piano and the way he mixes songs were a... Read More big hit!! He also set up for the ceremony and played lighter music during dinner hours, he can do it all! Don't forget to add the photo booth mirror, coolest and easiest thing! I would recommend him a thousand times over! I don't usually write reviews, but had to because he was the BEST. DJ. EVER. Thank you Stephen!!

Reviewed on 11/04/2017 Donna H

While you don't need me to tell you - seriously, look at the other 100 or so reviews - when it comes to DJing a wedding, Darby is your dude, full stop. To start, Stephen is easy to work with and incredibly easy going in the leadup to the event. I originally wanted something... Read More like a 12 piece band with a full horn section, but easier said than done. Between price and honestly not being that blown away by what I was hearing from area bands, our event coordinator gave us a shortlist and called out Stephen specifically. The piano/DJ combo had me hooked, and after a quick phone call, we were off and running. Throughout the year leading up to the wedding we definitely didn't need to talk to Stephen weekly, but when we did, he was plenty prompt enough in his response time. His flow-sheet made the reception timeline fall into place very easily, and was very receptive to our asks and thoughts. I'll be honest--Stephen is more than talented enough to DJ any wedding; big, small, young, old, low key or over the top. But if you want the best value, make sure you want to have a real, honest to God PARTY, and don't be afraid to give him the opportunity to spread his wings and fly. If you let him, Stephen will get people stuck on the dance floor unable to leave, leaving everyone sweaty, breathless, and having the absolute time of their lives. 3 things will turn a regular reception into a kick-ass party - good people, plenty of booze and fantastic music. We had the first two easy, and Stephen put it all together and made it unforgettable. I can't thank him enough for setting the bar for our expectations so high (again, see: all the other sterling reviews and plethora of awards) and still blowing past them and delivering something better than we could have ever imagined. Stephen continues to draw rave reviews from our guests, and he'll do the same for you if you let him. Thanks Darby!!! All the best, RC&DH

Reviewed on 10/25/2017 Becky P

Stephen absolutely KILLED it at our wedding. He is amazing at what he does and was such a pleasure to work with. We've been to a million weddings and seen bands and DJs and our night blew all of them out of the water. Stephen you are my music angel and I can't thank you enough!

Reviewed on 10/21/2017 Savannah L

THE BEST!!!! Seriously the best DJ we could have imagined. Steven was so great to work with. He really turned our reception into a party fit exactly to my husband and I's taste in music. He was fun and energetic as well as kind. BOOK DJ DARBY!

Reviewed on 10/12/2017 Emma B

Stephen from Darby Events is a very special individual. We found his videos while searching for music for our wedding and were simply amazed. Fast forward to last weekend and the compliments from my friends and family have not stopped. He is absolutely incredible at what he... Read More does! He even helped us when we asked for a friend to sing for our Ceremony. From the beginning, he helped us make decisions about things I never even though to think of and he truly knows his craft. He was really fun to work with along the way and consider him a friend now. Thank you so much for making our wedding a night we will never forget!

Reviewed on 10/08/2017 Lacy P

I would most definitely recommend NOT using Darby Events and trusting them with your wedding day. I booked Stephen over a year out from our wedding and 14 days before our wedding he cancelled on us. Our wish was that he would have told us earlier so that we would have had more... Read More time to find a replacement. He wasn't wonderful to work with from the beginning either. The first check I sent him, he lost record of it and I had to go into my bank statements to send him proof of the check clearing. He was never fast to respond to emails and didn't seem to care much at all about our wedding day. Stephen was the ONLY reason I settled for a DJ instead of a band because of his different style and I thought that he would be something new and different that our guests wouldn't have experienced before. This wedding was my LIFE for a year and a half and something I've dreamed about since I was a little girl and having to find a new DJ 14 days before my wedding was NOT a fun experience. Not only was he supposed to provide music for our reception, but also the ceremony music and uplighting, so we were left with none of that when he cancelled. Luckily, he did refund my money, but without ever saying anything. He simply sent the money and nothing else, no apology or any evidence that he felt sorry about what was done.

2017-10-09T12:00:49 Response from the vendor

Lacy, we share your disappointment, however, the claims you made in your review are just not true. * Your father picked a part the majority of our contract and threatened our company. He was provided a full refund and your contract was voided * The... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 9/14/2017 Haley T

Stephen Darby was an incredible DJ and performer for our wedding. He kept the dance floor packed - there was so much energy all night! Furthermore, he was great to work with through the wedding planning process. Could not recommend him more highly. Thank you Stephen for... Read More helping make our wedding perfect!

Reviewed on 8/24/2017 Ashley Z

Stephen is hands down, not only the best wedding DJ in Charleston, but the country. If you want your dance floor packed, Stephen is your guy. At our wedding this weekend, Stephen had grandparents and relatives ---who we haven't seen dance in years--- getting after it on the... Read More dance floor with so many of our younger guests. Stephen has a style and a song for anyone. Our wedding was a BLAST because of Stephen, who is a true entertainer, and who is clearly passionate about his craft. Even after the wedding, our guests ranging in ages of 8 and 80 keep talking about how great of a job he did. Thank you so much Darby Events!

Reviewed on 7/17/2017 Pamela C

Stephen was so incredible. After speaking with him on the phone we knew he was the perfect fit for our wedding. He was so easy to get in touch with and saw our vision for our wedding. He executed that vision perfectly as everyone was on the dance floor the entire night. I would... Read More highly recommend Stephen and Darby Events!

Reviewed on 6/17/2017 Brandon S

Thank You again for being part of our special day! Your setup was amazing and everything flowed together so smoothly. I can’t tell you how many weddings we have attended and the DJs were horrendous, but your setup was an art form. Kept to our timeline to almost the second. There... Read More wasn't one beat that was skipped!

Reviewed on 6/09/2017 Sarah M

Stephen is a total pro and a joy to work with. We hired a wedding planner (Mike Winship) about 18 months ahead of our wedding and the first thing he said was "Book Stephen Darby before you do anything else." Once we spoke with Stephen and heard some of his work we were sold. So... Read More glad we booked when we did because he was almost totally filled up for the year. Our dance floor was PACKED the whole night and I can't even count how many people said Stephen was the best wedding DJ they'd ever experienced. Aside from the music, Stephen was super helpful with general wedding advice based on the hundreds of weddings he's worked. If I could give more than 5 stars I would. Total rockstar!

Reviewed on 6/08/2017 Jennider W

We are all just blown away. I’m not even sure where to start but I can say that Stephen is one of the most talented people I have ever been around or seen perform. Our wedding was in Manhattan and he came from Charleston to be apart of our special day. Everything was just... Read More seamless and he and his team are true professionals. His ability to mix and match music while incorporating the piano piece of his performance had everyone in awe. Working with him was a real pleasure and he was hands down THE BEST vendor choice I made for my wedding. I do not think I have ever understood the importance of music at a wedding but I do now and will say that he is light years better than anything we have ever seen in our attendance of 20+ weddings. He is absolutely in a league of his own and was worth every single penny. I STRONGLY encourage you to book Stephen, but do it early. I know he one of the top wedding DJs in the country and we had to book 22 months out just to get him, and we were lucky to. I LOVE YA STEPHEN!! Thanks you so so so much for giving me the wedding of my dreams.

Reviewed on 6/05/2017 Stephanie S

HE WAS THE BEST!!!! I was so excited when I found Stephen, as soon as I watched his videos my husband and I knew that he was going to be amazing. Stephen was so responsive and helpful to work with the entire year of planning, he even made some special songs happen for us to make... Read More the evening extra special. I am know as the dancing queen at our friend's weddings and it was really important to us that our wedding was the best dance party ever, without a doubt, due to Stephen, it was. Beyond being the best DJ ever, he was so helpful at helping me with information about the venue and things regarding the layout so that we could be loud and not worry, recommended an amazing lighting vendor, and worked with our groomsmen to surprise us with a special performance. I only wish I could do it all over again to work with him!

Stephen Darby

Hi! Vendor voted #1 Charleston wedding DJ, my name is Stephen Darby and I want to DJ your wedding. I have been entertaining audiences of all sizes, all over the country, for over a decade. As a classical pianist from the College of Charleston, I have found my niche in incorporating live piano instrumentation while DJing. I started this journey producing music and performing all over the country next to the world's top internationally ranked DJs. I eat, sleep, and breathe music and weddings and would love to show you how I can make your wedding one of a kind!