The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Engaged couples in Louisiana looking for a church-style setting for a wedding ceremony and reception appreciate Felicity Church located in New Orleans' Lower Garden District. For over a century, the building provided church services for the community until damage from Hurricane Katrina left it uninhabitable. Now restored and reopened, Felicity Church operates as a nondenominational sanctuary for weddings and other events. Brick construction and Gothic Revival architecture provide character to the exterior and interior spaces offer elegant details while allowing couples to put their own personal stamp on their celebration.

The Sanctuary. Design features in The Sanctuary include brick walls, exposed beams, graceful drop lighting, distressed wood flooring, stained glass and decorative wood accents. This space accommodates 300 guests for a ceremony and cocktail reception and 150 guests for seated dinner service.

The Fellowship Hall. Located downstairs from The Sanctuary, The Fellowship Hall features exposed beams and brick, vintage Edison lighting and polished concrete floors. This room often houses guests for cocktail hour while The Sanctuary transforms from ceremonial area to reception hall. Adjacent to this space are the venue's restrooms and prep kitchen.

Prenuptial pairs who book Felicity Church enjoy access to two floors, the loft and the outdoor courtyard. Rental comes with a time window of one hour for the ceremony and four hours for a post-nuptials celebration. All events must end no later than 10 p.m.

Couples must provide their own wedding planner, caterer and other vendors and the site gladly provides recommendations. Furniture supplied for event use by the venue includes 20 wooden church pews, 30 high-top tables and 60 folding chairs.

Felicity Church was originally constructed before the arrival of the automobile, so parking is limited to spaces on the street. The venue recommends buses and streetcars or the use of Uber and taxis for transportation of wedding guests.

Reservation of Felicity Church requires a signed contract and a deposit of 50 percent of the total rental fee. For more information about alcohol policies, permitted decorations and other inquiries, couples can contact the venue directly by phone or through their website.

When it comes to choosing a wedding venue, all to-be-weds appreciate extra amenities. Special perks offered by Felicity Church include:

• A dressing room for wedding preparation
  • Generous 12-hour access for deliveries, setup and breakdown from noon until midnight
  • A security officer for the reception
  • A complimentary rehearsal scheduled according to availability
  • An allowance for a DJ or band if music is played at an appropriate level
  • Use of two floors for wedding photos
  • An option for hosting an engagement party or rehearsal dinner on site
  • ADA accessibility

More than just a Church.

Built in 1888, Felicity Church is steeped in New Orleans History. Felicity is a nondenominational sanctuary of truth and acceptance. Come as you are, love as you will and write your own story. We are proud to welcome couples from all nations, all religions, all traditions, and all orientations. Our doors are open to you and yours; whomever they may be. We host ceremonies and receptions in our authentically restored sanctuary, patio, and hall.

Ballroom, Historic Venue, Church

Destination Weddings, Planning, Rentals + Equipment

1220 Felicity St, New Orleans, LA (504) 457-8513

Reviewed on 5/18/2016 Jessica L

We were married there earlier this month. It was absolutely the best/ easiest choice we made during the process. We attended a wedding there before the space went through it's renovation. We thought this hidden gem is the perfect place for our ceremony. I grew up in a Catholic... Read More Family and my partner in a Jewish family. This exquisite space provided a special place for us to join lives and faiths. It could easily serve any type of ceremony whether it be religious or unity style. The breathtaking nature of the building allows one to come into the space and feel the presence of their own divine. We thought on how to arrange the space for our ceremony and although the room would be gorgeous with lots of decoration, it honestly needs nothing. We wanted to let the beauty of the space shine through so we decided to go with minimum decor with a Chuppah a good friend created standing alone in the space. The owners were absolutely amazing. Chris was super supportive of our ideas and thoughts and extremely helpful during the entire process. We decided early on that we wanted to have a crawfish boil for our rehearsal dinner. We wanted to invite all of our out of town guests and were struggling to find a location that could accommodate 90 people without breaking the bank, we weren't trying to pay for a second wedding. After thinking of everywhere from city park, to our house, to restaurants and even having a meeting with the Southern Food and Wine Museum, we were completely stumped and thinking "why did we come up with this idea?! Why " Then David suggested checking out the new renovation of the downstairs of Felicity where we were having our ceremony. It was perfect! The ambiance, architecture, exposed beams, choice lighting were perfect for our crawfish boil and quite frankly at that point I was kicking myself for not having the wedding reception there once I saw the space renovated. They had even refinished and sealed the existing historic concrete floors on first floor bringing out their luster and charm. The downstairs has a gorgeous long courtyard with festoon lighting provided by venue. ( we had to rent that at our reception venue) We used the courtyard and downstairs entrance for dinner and closed the church doors keeping the space a surprise till the next day. We were worried because I did not want to hire a planner for the rehearsal dinner but I knew I needed to rent chairs and tables. The owner Chris helped out so much by talking me through the floor plan. The space has so many of their own chairs and pews that Chris helped me figure out what I needed to rent and helped set up rental with his recommendations on linens and everything. We ended up having an amazing dinner. We were able to make the space our own. We used Tex Mex decorations, had a candy bar , set up our own bar with bartender and hired the Amazing Chef Isaac Toups to cater the boil. Toups was so excited when he saw their renovated kitchen that he told the owner Chris he could open a restaurant in there. The kitchen had entrances that could serve in the dining area and outside making crawfish boil easy for our Chef to be inside and out. I can't say enough good stuff about this place. I want to have another party just to have it here. Reception was at Il Mercato and although it was awesome I could totally see doing the whole thing at Felicity. Ceremony Upstairs, Cocktails downstairs, and then rearrange space for reception back upstairs. The venue is magical

Reviewed on 6/25/2016 Patricia O

This place is unique, historic, beautiful, dramatic and versatile. And your wedding can be all of those things if you wish so... I had my reception/party here back in March 2016 and it was one of the best decisions I made regarding the wedding. Now besides the space being... Read More amazing and versatile... and one of the most unique in New Orleans... I have to make this review about Chris (owner) from day 1 he was so easy to work with, talk to and coordinate with. He is a truly understanding flexible guy... and if you ladies/grooms are out there you need to know you need someone like that on your side. We organized multiple walk troughs with vendors, parents, friends, photographer... and he was delightful, flexible and ready to answer every question. He also loves the place, gives you ideas of what other couples have done, what other photographers have done.. if the weather is good what you can do, if the weather is bad what you can do. If you have this instead of that... he has an idea for that too. Not only you have an amazing space for your wedding but you also have a true partner when you are planning it. My wedding was 70 people from different parts of the world... and being able to bring them to such unique place was a dream come true. Thank you for that Chris and Felicity Church!

Reviewed on 5/18/2016 Cassidy W

Felicity church is really is a gem. I got married here in April, and I couldn't imagine a more perfect venue. The building has so much inherent texture and beauty, and had been lovingly renovated by the owner Chris, to retain it's unique personality while being updated and... Read More accessible. You really have to see the light through the stained glass windows and the soaring ceiling to appreciate this space. Another plus is how the venue is so well set up to be both a ceremony and reception space. I live in California, and had to do everything long distance. It made planning so much simpler to have only one venue to deal with, and my guests had so much fun doing a second line around the neighborhood while Chris and the caterer flipped the venue from ceremony to reception mode. It was also great to have flexibility regarding setup. I wanted a non-traditional, circular configuration for the guest seating, with the wedding party in pairs at the cardinal points. Chris was super helpful and willing to accommodate my weird requests and we were able to work out a setup that felt really personal and intimate.

Reviewed on 5/03/2017 Ashley L

Gosh, where to begin! First & foremost, if you are getting married in New Orleans you are already doing it right. But, if you decide to choose Felicity Church then you REALLY are doing it right. We already planned to have our wedding at the stunning Race & Religious, which is... Read More amazing enough. However, having a second line parade was a high priority to my husband and I and we really wanted it to be a parade; not just a walk around the block. My husband and I are also both Catholic and had a hard time finding a Catholic church near R&R to do the parade to. That's where Riki at R&R came in as she suggested Felicity since her and her husband recently got married there. At the time of our first site visit, the church was undergoing renovation but we already loved what we saw. And even better was that Chris was very responsive and helpful from the get-go. My husband and I live in Chicago so when we returned for another site visit a few months later, we couldn't believe how gorgeous the renovations came out; the history of the church was still very much intact but the restoration of the architecture and keeping that distressed beauty was incredible. We knew this was where we had to have our ceremony. Through the months, like several of our vendors, Chris became like a friend more than the church owner. His warmth and excitement for us was wonderful and the attention he paid towards us during the planning process made me feel like he was planning his own wedding! Chris was also incredibly generous by allowing us to ship some items out for the wedding in advance (again, we live in Chicago) to be stored there till our wedding. He was even kind enough to let us leave a few items behind that we didn't want to spend the money on to ship back as we knew we would never use these items again, saying he would find a good home for them; COMPLETELY above & beyond what he needed to do! I would get married in Felicity Church to my husband over and over again because it really is just that fantastic of a space and Chris and his wife are just that awesome!

Reviewed on 4/20/2017 Aimee J

Someone else here said that getting married at Felicity was the easiest choice they made - we second that emotion. This was a destination wedding for us (March 2017), on a relatively tight timeline (less than 5 months) and walking in to Felicity it was instantly apparent that... Read More this space was cool all on its own and wouldn't need a ton of time consuming design interventions to make it feel warm and elegant and memorable - it just IS those things, all on its own. Safe to say we had high standards, but weren't willing to go through all the planning minutiae, and Felicity ticked all the boxes. We wanted a hobbit style wedding (not themed, but that kind of candlelit not too stuffy but a little opulent vibe) and the space captured that perfectly. This place is MEMORABLE for you and for your guests. Particularly because this was a destination wedding we wanted to make sure that the reception didn't feel like we could've had it just anywhere - this is not your average catering facility or open loft space, it has rich history, lovingly restored, and great modern amenities. It also has Chris, who is exactly the kind of person who you'd want to have your back for a wedding, calm, responsive, accommodating, frankly the kind of person you'd want to be friends with. The opposite of the slimier upsell you might encounter in your planning travels. What else...the light! Did we talk about the light? Exchanging vows as the sun lowered through huge stained glass windows, come on. This place manages to feel holy without being tied to a particular religion, elegant without trying too hard, and your guests will be raving about it. Just walk through those big gorgeous doors, you'll see what I mean.

Reviewed on 4/19/2017 Andreia S

Felicity was perfect for our wedding. Chris went above and beyond and was great for the entire process. The building is a perfect blend of New Orleans Vibe, Church setting, and Rustic Charm. Can't imagine a venue that is more "us" than Felicity. We can't recommend it enough.

Reviewed on 3/13/2017 Kate W

We got married on 2/11/17 and Felicity Church was perfection. It is the most beautiful venue inside and out. The minute you walk up the street, you see this stunning building and the quaint courtyard. The downstairs is modernized with hanging light bulbs, but the original... Read More architecture was kept to make you feel the history. I would have booked this venue on the stairs alone because you can see the history, and they are absolutely beautiful and unique. The pews in the sanctuary are originals, and the sanctuary has these high ceilings with the original beams and huge windows. We decided to have our ceremony and reception at Felicity as this was a destination wedding for us, and we knew Chris (owner) would help make our dreams a reality. We had the ceremony with the gorgeous pews upstairs, then we had a Second Line to the downstairs and courtyard while the room got flipped, and we came back upstairs for the reception. Chris was one of the best resources for our wedding in so many ways. He helped plan, try out different and unique floor plans, work with our vendors and give them venue tours… he truly worked with us on every level and was so professional but also extremely kind. On the day of the wedding, everything went smoothly thanks to him, and I have never met someone so organized and thorough. I’m so glad I trusted my wedding to him and Felicity. We had so many friends and family coming up to us and commenting on the venue and asking how we found it. The fact that the room was flipped in one hour on the dot from a ceremony to a stunning reception for 150 people, blew our guests out of the water. Chris managed transforming the space and had the amazing tables and pews for us to reuse which gave us a huge savings with rentals. This was such a unique layout, and having our vows said on the stage and then the band perform on it was so visually appealing. Felicity was the best decision we made, and Felicity will always be part of our hearts!

Reviewed on 1/17/2017 Cate I

We were married here on 12/29 and it was so stress-free and homey. Chris was so accommodating in terms of visiting and decorating-- ours was a destination wedding, so we had to visit several times, and then various family members, caterers, etc. would stop by.... He was so... Read More patient! Our photos are stunning and the acoustics were great. Can't recommend this place enough!

Reviewed on 1/13/2017 Aimee

We were beyond pleased with our decision to get married at Felicity. The space is absolutely beautfiul and was the perfect setting for our ceremony! They were so easy to work with and planning could not have been easier. I would highly recommend Felicity as a venue for either a... Read More ceremony or reception.

Reviewed on 12/29/2016 Lisa A

Two big thumbs up and then some: the first time I ever set foot in Felicity Church was for a photographer friend's Christmas party/gallery opening during Felicity's very rough and early days many years ago. From that point on, I couldn't get the unique charm and beauty of... Read More Felicity out of my head and when it was time to get married, I knew exactly where I wanted to go. I was delighted to find out that in the two year span Felicity was renovated into the perfect(!) space it is today, while still keeping its unique and antiquated beauty with all of the photogenic nooks and crannies. My husband's family was from out of town and they couldn't stop raving about the space. If you are looking for a venue that is true to New Orleans charm, look no further. From the start, Chris, the owner, was amazingly helpful. I'm a big believer in DIY weddings, and he was an invaluable asset to the wedding planning process. As for the venue itself, the fact that both the ceremony and reception can be held in one location--skipping the travel process between the two--is such a bonus! We didn't have a band, but our 175 guests couldn't stop dancing, so the added benefit of having the stage act as a "second"/expanded dance floor was just what this lively group needed! (We like to dance, what can we say!) Overall, I wouldn't change a thing for our big night... it was the perfect venue for charm, old school New Orleans flair, photographic beauty, crowd flow, and dancing. Look no further, and cross your fingers that your date isn't already booked!! Chris, Mike and I thank you for an incredible night none of our guests will soon forget...

Reviewed on 11/29/2016 gina s

My husband and I got married at Felicity Church and it was nothing short of spectacular! My husband and I are both from New Orleans and we wanted a venue that was rustic and historic as well as funky fresh, much like the city itself. We were also looking for a space that could... Read More accommodate about 300 guests without feeling crowded. Felicity is truly the most versatile venue there is. The ceremony space flips perfectly into the reception space, with ample room for dancing. In addition there is a space on the bottom floor that was perfect for our cocktail hour. The outdoor courtyard afforded our guests the opportunity to dance to the band under the stars. The historic building is also the perfect backdrop for pictures! The church is beautiful as is. We did not feel the need to do much in the way of decorations. We could not have asked for more. The owner, Chris and his wife were amazing to work with! I tell everyone I know to checkout Felicity for any event they are planning. You will not regret it!

Reviewed on 7/18/2016 Tiffany S

Wow- what I can say! This is the most beautiful venue ever. The space is gorgeous and has been renovated/updated without losing any of the historic charm and character. Aaron and I were married here in June. We could not have dreamed of anything as perfect as it was. Felicity is... Read More an amazing venue and Chris & Jess are amazing to work with. We couldn't have asked for anything more! Perfection.

Reviewed on 7/12/2016

We just completed our wedding at Felicity, and the venue was amazing!! The building has a life of its own, and the care that Chris and his wife took to keep the elements of the classic architecture intact is truly incredible. If you want a wedding in a venue that encapsulates... Read More the heart of New Orleans, and has the convenience of hosting the reception under the same roof, then look no further. Felicity Church will forever be a part of our lives, and that is something we are so proud of. If your planning your wedding call Chris now for a tour, you will not regret it.

Reviewed on 6/14/2016 Nellie S

I had my wedding here in mid May. I fell in love with this venue when it was still in early remodeling stagea, so that speaks volumes with how beautiful this place is! We had our wedding Mass at St.Theresa of Avilla right down the block and had a trolley bring us to Felicity... Read More church. Every one of my guests complimented the venue and you honestly don't even need much decoration, the venue is breathtaking alone. Chris was extremely easy to work with and I wouldn't change a thing!

Reviewed on 5/28/2016 Rebecca S

My husband and I got married here in December. We had visited last year and fell in love with the venue. It was everything we had been looking for! Chris was great and very flexible. He really put us at ease during the crazy whirlwind of planning a wedding. The church is... Read More absolutely gorgeous and I'd recommend it to anyone!

Reviewed on 5/24/2016

Felicity Church is truly a hidden gem. As soon as I walked in the door, I knew I had to get married there! It's the perfect balance of rustic and elegant. The age and history of the church has been tastefully preserved while some modern updates perfectly compliment a modern day... Read More wedding. The owner, Chris, is very friendly and always accommodating. My guests were from all over the US and no one has stopped talking about Felicity Church!

Reviewed on 5/21/2016

What a beautiful spot! My daughter and son-in-law had their reception at Felicity Church in Nov. 2014 prior to any renovations. I was a nervous mother at the prospect of no air/heat, and limited electricity but it turned out to be perfect. Not only did Chris accommodate us any... Read More way he could, but the magnificent architecture created the exquisite backdrop for an evening filled lifelong memories. Felicity Church is such a special venue in the city of New Orleans, and was truly our "diamond in the rough"!

Reviewed on 5/21/2016

We recently tied the knot at Felicity Church. Chris, the owner is wonderful and extremely accommodating. Having the ceremony, cocktails, dinner & dancing all in the beautifully restored sanctuary was more than magical. All of our guests, both local and out-of-town, were in awe.... Read More Check out our hashtag for proof of the magic... #JEFFREYANDJARRELL

Reviewed on 5/21/2016 Kara D

My brother recently got married at Felicity and it was spectacular. We came in for the wedding from out of town and I can say that it was a wedding we will never forget. The wedding ceremony at Felicity was beautiful, with fantastic light, acoustics and a wonderful location in a... Read More quiet neighborhood that really made us feel like we were in ‘real’ New Orleans. Yet, it was a convenient walk from the St. Charles street car and all the buzz on Magazine Street. The feel of Felicity was so warm and welcoming for all, which was perfect given that it was an interfaith wedding. I helped to set up prior to the wedding at Chris was a fantastic help, both in getting everything in place for the ceremony as well as providing some very useful reminders and tips about wedding day in general. My brother and his wife also held their rehearsal dinner at Felicity the night before the wedding and it couldn’t have been more perfect. They used the downstairs space as well as the outside with those festive hanging lights which provided two great spaces for people to eat, talk, and listen and dance to live music. The flexibility of the space made it possible for them to have catered food (including a crawfish boil) and all of the other personal touches that they had hoped for. A fantastic space that I would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed on 5/20/2016

I can't say enough good things about Felicity Church and its owner, Chris. My husband and I were married there in 2013, before the current renovations were done, but even then this place was incredible. I had an exhausting venue search through New Orleans and was about to... Read More give up on my dream of getting married here when I found Felicity Church. It was exactly what I was looking for- beautiful, historical and oozing with New Orleans charm! My husband is a photographer and so natural light and architectural beauty were very important to him for our wedding photos and this place nails it. I actually had both my ceremony and reception at the church, with a cocktail hour downstairs following the ceremony while they flipped the floor upstairs. I was a little nervous about this but it worked out perfect! The owner Chris is so personable and helpful- He and his wife got married there earlier in the year and so he had great personal insight into what works and what doesn't for set ups/ceremonies/etc. His suggestions were always on point. Chris was extremely accommodating when it came to working with our wedding planner and vendors and opening up the church for vendor consultations. And months after my wedding when I was watching my wedding video I even noticed his wife holding the gate open for all of our wedding guests as they second lined into the yard- I'm sure there were even more helpful things they did behind the scenes that I wasn't even aware of! After the wedding I got SO many compliments from guests on the venue- both locals and out-of-towners thought it was such a unique and special place. If I had to plan my wedding all over again I would absolutely choose Felicity Church as my wedding venue again!

Reviewed on 5/19/2016 Mallory J

My husband and I were one of the first couples to marry in this church. We felt very fortunate to be married here - only blocks away from where we met in the historic Garden District. Our relationship played out and grew in this neighborhood and in this city and it seemed only... Read More fitting that the wedding would take place in the heart of it all. Our ceremony was short and sweet and in front of only our families. The building and interior have clean, elegant details. Even with so few people in attendance in such a great space, the atmosphere was one of warmth and sophistication. I think it was a great spot for a wedding like ours, but also would be a great space for a knock down drag out party. Great spot for the WHOLE event as there are spaces to transition to while the room is transformed to facilitate a reception from the wedding. The space is super flexible. I've attended other weddings and various events and watching each bride's or event planner's vision come to life has been really fun. The owners of the venue are uncomplicated, responsive, transparent, and friendly. They know what they're doing. They're not intrusive. Bonus: the owner took a photo of the ceremony on his iPhone that is literally my favorite picture from the whole event.

Reviewed on 5/18/2016 Crystal H

Felicity Church is a stunning, true New Orleans style venue. We were married there in March of 2015 and could not have been more pleased with the amazing aesthetic that this church has to offer. Traditional New Orleans cathedrals and churches are everywhere in the Crescent City,... Read More however, Felicity offered us the church ceremony but with a twist, it's architectural details and its history are extra rustic and unique in so many ways, and being located in the heart of the garden district was extra special for us- we live up the street. Chris was wonderful to work with and has really brought the property back to life. Our guests were stunned at the raw beauty of the church, our pictures turned out better than ever imagined, and we highly recommend Felicty for your ceremony! We are already looking for excuses for another party! Especially since they have the perfect set up for a full event! Thank you, Chris, and family for the unforgettable experience.

Reviewed on 5/16/2016 Amanda W

My wife and I got married here in late 2014. Even though it was before all of the renovations were completely done, we had an absolutely fabulous experience. The venue itself is unique and lent some beautiful New Orleans history to our wedding. Our guests still remark on our... Read More choice of venue! Perhaps most importantly, the owner, Chris, is incredibly kind, thorough, trustworthy, and reliable. He was easily accessible to answer our myriad questions, and was present throughout the day of our wedding. Chris is also very flexible, allowing you to really customize your wedding timeline and the venue itself. He really alleviated a ton of wedding anxiety. The location is easily accessible to the streetcar on St. Charles avenue, and the shops, restaurants, etc. on Magazine St. This was convenient both for our guests from out of town, and for me and my wife, since we were both having our hair done at salons on Magazine. I would pick Felicity Church for our wedding again in a heartbeat. It's definitely not another boring ballroom, and we love it for that.

Chris Jones

My wife Jess and I purchased Felicity Church in 2011. The church had sat vacant and damaged since Hurricane Katrina in 2005. We were married in Felicity in 2013; the first marriage in almost a decade. After experiencing so much love and joy at our wedding, we decided to let others feel that same bliss and began working on bringing the church into the 21st century. After years of planning, Felicity reopened its doors as a nondenominational sanctuary of love and acceptance in 2016. We invite you and your loved ones to spend your happiest days with us, in this historic and hallowed place.